Cops are becoming pansies

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wrong, reread what you wrote in your opening OP...... that's the problem with the written.... not so easy to lie without getting caught.
Partially right. She made a general statement and then specified later. It is common practise. Beside that, she was probably upset about the news these "people" given the job of serving and protecting failed at it. You generalise and get upset, too. Big deal.
The past few posts of hers would have given a 2 year old the idea she was talking about specific cops.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We have a local radio program called "Cop Talk" every Saturday afternoon. Callers are invited to call in and ask questions, etc. They have stated that they are trained to "shoot to kill" not shoot to hit someone in the knee or hand like in the movies. They also said that most police officers won't carry a taser because if things go wrong, the public outcry invariably puts them in the untenable position of having to "justify" its use in the long, arduous process of the investigation. It's a no-win situation for the most part. Policing isn't for wimps and I applaud every single one of them - I know I couldn't do the job, that's for sure!
I don't applaud every one of them because I have seen good ones and bad ones. Bad ones are guys like Robinson (the OIC during the Dziekansky killing) and the guy that killed Boyd. Same with my old profession of firefighting. There are good firefighters and bad ones.

Why applaud the bad ones?

As far as shooting to kill goes, yes, they are. That is one reason they shoot for the body. Another is because it is a big target. However, after having 7 shots fired into the body which likely caused massive trauma, the guy would not be moving very quickly and certainly as he struggled to get up onto his feet, the tap to the head is completely over the edge of reason.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You are exactly right and they are trained to shoot to kill if they are going to shoot at all.

Sorry.

Wrong.

They are trained to shoot to STOP.

There is a major difference.....shoot to stop means always shooting for the visible centre mass.......which on a man facing you is the centre of the chest......because that is the method that is most apt to stop the opponent continuing the actions that caused you to open fire. Whether he dies or not is immaterial.

That includes, BTW, head shots if two body shots prove ineffective.......known as the "body armour drill" Head shots are NOT prefered, because the typical male human head from the front angle has so much bone (insert joke here) that handgun bullets are routinely deflected or stopped. You are LESS apt to stop an assailant with a front on head shot that with a centre chest hit.

IF the cop said "shoot to kill" on a radio show he is an idiot, and did not understand the most basic part of his firearms training. In his defence, usually you say "shoot to stop" and the uninitiated HEAR "shoot to kill"

I used to teach this stuff, I know what I am talking about.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Sorry.

Wrong.

There is a major difference.....shoot to stop means always shooting for the visible centre mass.......which on a man facing you is the centre of the chest......because that is the method that is most apt to stop the opponent continuing the actions that caused you to open fire. Whether he dies or not is immaterial.

That includes, BTW, head shots if two body shots prove ineffective.......known as the "body armour drill" Head shots are NOT prefered, because the typical male human head from the front angle has so much bone (insert joke here) that handgun bullets are routinely deflected or stopped. You are LESS apt to stop an assailant with a front on head shot that with a centre chest hit.

IF the cop said "shoot to kill" on a radio show he is an idiot, and did not understand the most basic part of his firearms training. In his defence, usually you say "shoot to stop" and the uninitiated HEAR "shoot to kill"

Wanna be's always protect real cops.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Partially right. She made a general statement and then specified later. It is common practise. Beside that, she was probably upset about the news these "people" given the job of serving and protecting failed at it. You generalise and get upset, too. Big deal.
The past few posts of hers would have given a 2 year old the idea she was talking about specific cops.

No....what she did was start back pedalling.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Sorry.

Wrong.

Good point, Colpy. I defer to your accuracy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wanna be's always protect real cops.

I'm not a wannabe....I'm a was....or a has-been, if you prefer, seeing as you can't seem to open your mouth without being offensive.

I carried a gun for 11 years....the last few of those years I was the provincial firearms trainer for an armoured car company, as well as crew chief on an armoured run.....our training was extensive, exactly the same as the standard firearms training offered to police, and our qualifications regimen was more so.

I am somewhat more qualified to offer an educated opinion on these matters than is an arrogant ignoramus that thinks shooting anonymous insults across the net somehow proves he has cojones.....probably would pee his pants in a vigorous face-to-face argument.........

Not to mention any names.....lol

Oh, and BTW, read back.........I do have some problems with the shooting we were discussing.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm not a wannabe....I'm a was....or a has-been, if you prefer, seeing as you can't seem to open your mouth without being offensive.

Pot meet kettle.

I carried a gun for 11 years....the last few of those years I was the provincial firearms trainer for an armoured car company, as well as crew chief on an armoured run.....our training was extensive, exactly the same as the standard firearms training offered to police, and our qualifications regimen was more so.

Wanna be's talk the same talk.....we have it harder blah blah blah....:roll:

I am somewhat more qualified to offer an educated opinion on these matters than is an arrogant ignoramus that thinks shooting anonymous insults across the net somehow proves he has cojones.....probably would pee his pants in a vigorous face-to-face argument.........

Never claimed to be a tough guy.....most wanna be's do however make that claim.....if you're ever in town Colp I would love to have a sit down with you. Considering your economic capabilities I highly doubt that will happen.

Perhaps I could pay your way?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Pot meet kettle.

Wanna be's talk the same talk.....we have it harder blah blah blah....:roll:

Never claimed to be a tough guy.....most wanna be's do however make that claim.....if you're ever in town Colp I would love to have a sit down with you. Considering your economic capabilities I highly doubt that will happen.

Perhaps I could pay your way?

Got anything substantial to say??????

And, BTW, I don't fire back unless I've been fired upon. If you are polite, so am I........if you want to sling crap and insults, I'll dig out the catapult.......

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Got anything substantial to say??????

And, BTW, I don't fire back unless I've been fired upon. If you are polite, so am I........if you want to sling crap and insults, I'll dig out the catapult.......

Yes...I just said it. Not my fault you have the inabilaty to respond.

...and what a pile of BS, if you weren't so pompous arrogant you might deserve some sort of respect.

You aren't, so you won't.

Not from me anyways.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
She assaulted a police officer. Good on him. Hopefully she smacked her head on something on the way down...just for good measure.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Maybe we should just start hiring people that aren't dimwitted pansies instead of hiring dimwitted pansies and complaining about it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe we should just start hiring people that aren't dimwitted pansies instead of hiring dimwitted pansies and complaining about it.
I don't think so. I think the problem is the training.These cops don't seem to be trained to use a little discretion or to think clearly under pressure or else they aren't bright enough to think of consequences.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
She assaulted a police officer. Good on him. Hopefully she smacked her head on something on the way down...just for good measure.

dude, seriously?

She was a 10 year old girl ffs. I could subdue her with a dirty look, a goddamn taser was OVER KILL.

maybe watch 'guinea pig' the one where he gets tasered, its not a friggin toy, its a serious weapon.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I don't think so. I think the problem is the training.These cops don't seem to be trained to use a little discretion or to think clearly under pressure or else they aren't bright enough to think of consequences.

Of course they aren't trained to use discretion. You seem to think these people being hired are competent. Most are hired on at not much more than $17-$20/hr. They are glorified security guards. Stop expecting so much from them.