Confessions of a Climate Change Denier

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
My personal favourite is the wedge stabilization proposed a number of years ago now.

Because it's not one solution, it's many, so it gives lots of different options. Some countries would be able to do more in some categories than others. Doesn't matter with this concept.

as I expect you're aware, there's an assortment of 40-50 year roadmap type strategies that project how to realistically reduce fossil-fuel reliance. Typically, most denier types will speak of technology gaps; that the roadmaps can't be scaled properly and accordingly, suggest there's no point in even starting/trying... they of the, typically, Adapt-R-Us only approach.

Which kinda helps prove my point that people who spend their lives in suburbs and are not really connected with the natural environment beyond a trip a couple times a year to a friends lake lot see AGW as a bunch of BS. But the folks who farm, hunt, hike and explore the remaining natural areas are seeing the first effects and things like MPB are the proverbial canary in the coal mine.

Here's a song you might enjoy.

The Truth Comes Out - Corb Lund - YouTube

agreed. I also scuba-dive but, for the most part, have been able to pick locations unaffected by much/any acidification... but I most certainly know it exists and where it's most prevalent/damaging today. Thanks for the vid.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I always have because it has been going on since the beginning of earth.

I also believe there are things that we can do to improve on some points, but don't put the complete weight of climate change on our shoulders.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I said I never have but I just want to clarify I am only referring to the CO2 heating up the earth argument. I don't believe it because I don't believe the theory has been proven particularly because the theory keeps changing as new data disproves it. If it was a sound theory, it wouldn't change so much.

I also do believe that the Earth's climate is changing as it always has. Just not man made.

However, man is changing his climate via pollution, litter, garbage disposal, toxic waste, oil spills, etc. It is those areas we should be focusing on not the imaginary carbon boogeyman. However, you didn't ask about that.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Which kinda helps prove my point that people who spend their lives in suburbs and are not really connected with the natural environment beyond a trip a couple times a year to a friends lake lot see AGW as a bunch of BS. But the folks who farm, hunt, hike and explore the remaining natural areas are seeing the first effects and things like MPB are the proverbial canary in the coal mine.

Here's a song you might enjoy.

The Truth Comes Out - Corb Lund - YouTube

It's actually the end of the beginning of the end. As far as i can tell things are already too late. But irrespective of climate humanity will not survive our technology. Already 70% of a human being can be replaced from artificial limbs and synthetic blood to pacemakers and computerised eyes an ears. It is a matter of time before we transition into something entirely different from what we are today as part of the "natural" process of human evolution.

I spent most of my life logging on the coast. I seen warm winters, cold winters smokin hot summers and summers we never seen the sun. The climate changes all the time. Just like the MPB comes and goes. You think this is the first crop of trees in BC in the last 100 million years? It is simply part of a natural cycle that doesn't fit what humans want today. This should not be confused with picking up our $hit. They are two separate issues.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
taxslave;2005064 calling it AWG when there was no evidence to support that claim. There is still no evidence.[/QUOTE said:
It's hard to know how to respond to a statement like that. I mean, how do you debate someone who believes the world is flat, the moon landings were a hoax or GWB orchestrated 9/11 and all evidence to the contrary is a conspiracy? When discussing the fact of AWG with someone who believes it to be a hoax it is as Oliver says, it's like debating whether 15 is a larger number than five or whether or not Owls exist.

But if you're not too far gone here is something you might want to seriously consider:

In the army when I dealt with a soldier who had trouble with some subject matter I would make him/her teach a course on it. This forced the member to come to terms with the issue and become a subject matter expert.

The old TPA had a debaters forum where opponets took the opposite position of their normal stance and were judged on their ability to present a quality counter argument. Good times. Debated Bear on shutting down reservations and Paradox on gay marriage. I also debated Tonington who was Stony T and had to promote AWG while he denied it. When you're serious about preparing your argument without prejudice this opens your mind to a lot of previously dismissed information.

Can your faith stand the test?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's actually the end of the beginning of the end. As far as i can tell things are already too late. But irrespective of climate humanity will not survive our technology. Already 70% of a human being can be replaced from artificial limbs and synthetic blood to pacemakers and computerised eyes an ears. It is a matter of time before we transition into something entirely different from what we are today as part of the "natural" process of human evolution.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...... yup, may as well take a 9mm under the chin. Life jest ain't werth livin no more.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
taxslave;2005064 calling it AWG when there was no evidence to support that claim. There is still no evidence.[/QUOTE said:
It's hard to know how to respond to a statement like that. I mean, how do you debate someone who believes the world is flat, the moon landings were a hoax or GWB orchestrated 9/11 and all evidence to the contrary is a conspiracy? When discussing the fact of AWG with someone who believes it to be a hoax it is as Oliver says, it's like debating whether 15 is a larger number than five or whether or not Owls exist.
Now you know the problem dealing with the truthers. Much like convincing a brit that he is driving on the wrong side of the road.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
I spent most of my life logging on the coast. I seen warm winters, cold winters smokin hot summers and summers we never seen the sun. The climate changes all the time. Just like the MPB comes and goes. You think this is the first crop of trees in BC in the last 100 million years? It is simply part of a natural cycle that doesn't fit what humans want today. This should not be confused with picking up our $hit. They are two separate issues.

When was the last time MPB had such a reach? Answer: Never.

The current MPB outbreak is the single largest forest insect blight ever witnessed in North America and is 10 larger than the biggest known outbreak in the past 500 years. It is ravaging forest from Alberta and BC through to Arizona all Western US states in between with talk of it crossing the Boreal into Ontario.

The current MPB exceeds anything in the traditions of the elders or the ancient environmental records we have analysed which precludes this as being natural.

The disturbing fact is that 100% of scientists attribute the current outbreak to climate change which has really hampered our ability to fight it. Sort of like trying to put out a fire while ignoring the hose pumping gasoline on it.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The sky is falling, the sky is falling...... yup, may as well take a 9mm under the chin. Life jest ain't werth livin no more.
And yet those in Texas suffering from a drought year after year are praying it will get better by devine intervention... funny how that works eh?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have read all kinds of stuff too and there is bits of truth on both sides of the equation
first I think we have made some impact in the last two hundred years however the world
is constantly changing and evolution plays a major role in the life cycle of earth
Even if we did the damage we cannot change the environmental cycle of nature.
I am afraid all this go green is much like the Christians hijacking the pagans. They could
make over the holiday cycle but the origins are still there.
No I suggest this rally to go green was stolen from the Hippies and now its about selling
more enviro freezers, stoves, heating systems, air conditioning improvements and
doing a yard make over to make weeks more palatable to the masses. They get to down
size cars and charge more and they see how much they can squeeze out of us for water
gasoline and other products The want us to pay deposits not only on pop bottles but on
the berry clam shells the products come in.
This is the biggest consumer screw over in the history of the world. Yes there is some
environmental damage but the real damage is its a con job on the masses and they didn't
even need a phone scam to do it

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You can use "truther" as a pejorative but it is you who ignores fact and promotes faith which is the truest definition of a fanatic.

Find us just one fact that proves humans are causing global warming. If fact I'll make it even easier, just find any fact that the earth has warmed up in the last 5 years. NOTE: IPCC and wiki are not considered reliable sources.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Seems to me we have more than your two options of status quo or death. Or do you believe Jesus will save us?

Yup, it has been confirmed. GFB has lost the small amount of brains he previously had.

and I have more "options" than you give credit for. It is you with the fatalistic outlook, not me.