Cities in Canada to get these kinds of jobs:

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Hello, I am a computer science engineer with multiple microsoft certifications and 8 years of experiencie, my wife has finished her studies as "business international" professional.

I am looking for a good city to live and get a job if possible in our career, I know its difficult but with my skills and certifications, its very possible.

I wanted Vancouver, or Ottawa, but it seems vancouver its very expensive to start living there.

I dont know let me know your toughts.

Thx

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hello, I am a computer science engineer with multiple microsoft certifications and 8 years of experiencie, my wife has finished her studies as "business international" professional.

I am looking for a good city to live and get a job if possible in our career, I know its difficult but with my skills and certifications, its very possible.

I wanted Vancouver, or Ottawa, but it seems vancouver its very expensive to start living there.

Thx

Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and even Calgary would be target markets I would look at.. Here are sites you can keep a look at that can help you find work..

FYI, Vancouver need not be in the City area. Victoria has some good companies and describing your work abilities might have been a better start :)

BC Area High Tech Related
T-Net: Employment

Tech Vibes let you pick your City High Tech Related.
Technology news, events, jobs, and company profiles - Techvibes

BC Area broadline job search
BCjobs.ca - BC's Career Search, Employment & Job Posting Site

As well as the big hire companies..

Monster across Canada broadline job search
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca

Workopolis across Canada broadline job search
Search Jobs. Find the Right Career. Get Employed. | Workopolis

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Thx
I guess you have to decide first on the weather you want. Where do you live now?
If you want a long cold winter or don't mind one, go east. If you want a short damp winter, come out west. Vancouver is expensive but like everywhere else, prices are dropping. On a personal level, I would not live in the East. I'll take every raindrop over every snowflake.:lol: I mean you no dis-respect but - make sure you use your spell check on your resume. ;-)

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Thanks for all your information, I am coming from Colombia, and the weather change is going to be big, I wouldnt care about weather right now, I prefer an econmical stability and get job as easy as possible.

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
By the way I want to send my application with Province Nomination program, I have sent a couple of resumes but I understand that its very difficult for a company to sponsor somebody who does not even know, eventough his resume is awesome.

Do you have any suggestions on which companies might sponsor me for the PNP?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
lavalencia

If you Google.com - Newcomers to Canada, Vancouver, B.C. has a few listings - and they may be able to steer you in the right direction regarding sponsorship or some kind of advocacy program.

UBS and Simon Fraser University also will have programs which can provided you with information.

It seems many of these help groups are more concerned with ESL whereas you are bi-lingual (or multi linqual) and would be a tremendous asset to any international company with offices in Canada/Vancouver. The community centers may also have instituted sponsorships if you call around - or the main Park Board offices.

I am now going to have a day trying to curb my jealousy thinking of your new exciting adventure!

Good luck! Curio

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
What does UBS means, there are lots of search results by UBS on Google, including banks, etc!!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
levalencia, first of all, learn a bit of modesty.

As an immigrant myself - mind you, from a bygone time when immigrants realized that they can't expect to start at the top - I advise you to polish up on your English first. Then learn about your new country so you won't have to gather information from politically correct sympathetic respondents on an insignificant public forum.

No matter how "awesome" your resume is, there are - I am sure - thousands of others born in Canada who could match your resume with an equally awesome resume of their own.

Prepare to get a job that will put bread and butter on your table, but one that you might not like. Millions of other immigrants did just that. Prove yourself to your new country. If and when you do, the rewards will follow.

Of course, if you can claim special priviledge under Affirmative Action, you've got it made.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
lavencia

I'm sorry - I made a typo - it was UBC - University of British Columbia

Jealousy is affecting my eyesight :smile:

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Hello YukonJack, I am aware that I might not start working as a computer science engineer once I arrive to Vancouver, but I am positive, I know a person that before leaving Colombia he studied a lot to perfect the language and that helped him a lot to get a job on his career on 45 days after arriving. So one thing is sure, I will practice a lot more my english, for interviews, social situations, because right now I only practice english reading and writing.

What kind of others job you think I can do there? selling computers? repairing? working on a restaurant?

Thanks