China warns the US.....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
mrmom2 said:
Not that I agree with Bush but this should open peoples eyes to what China is all about .Its time to send those assholes a message PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND STOP BUYING MADE IN CHINA GOODS :evil:

How terrible! Just who do those Chinese think they are? Do they honestly think they have a right to defend themselves or something? Sure the US has the right to bear arms, but that wasn't supposed to apply to China now, was it?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
mrmom2 said:
Not that I agree with Bush but this should open peoples eyes to what China is all about .Its time to send those assholes a message PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND STOP BUYING MADE IN CHINA GOODS :evil:

How terrible! Just who do those Chinese think they are? Do they honestly think they have a right to defend themselves or something? Sure the US has the right to bear arms, but that wasn't supposed to apply to China now, was it?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Jay said:
Ocean Breeze said:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/28cfe55a-f4a7-11d9-9dd1-00000e2511c8.html

seems the USG might want to do some serious rethink on how it handles international affairs. It's over aggressive nature/stance has dissed the world off and it seems like some nations are not going to put up with it .

How tragic to see this get this far out of control.

Right...because if China decides to storm Taiwan, America should sit idly by and just let it happen.

I think China should learn to keep her big mouth shut and not attack Taiwan or even think about it. Of coarse you wouldn't see it that way; you turn it into an Anti-American stance, because it seems you don't know anything else.

You do realize, don't you, that if Taiwan should declare itself independent from China, and the CCP did nothing about it, the Chinese people themselves would be pushing the government to do something about it?

Sure Beijing could try to play politics and just saber rattle without doing anything concrete, or maybe declare an embargo or some other symbolic measure just to show the population it's doing something about it so as to get the people off its back. In fact, knowing how much Chinese love to bluff, this could just be a bluff too just to win points among the population.

Consider likewise that if the mainland ever did declare war against Taiwan, there'd be no telling how the soldiers on either side might respond. What would happen, let's say, if alarge number of soldiers on both sides decide to disobey orders, saying that Chinese don't fight Chinese?

The situation would just be too volatile, too many unknowns, and that's why I don't think Taiwan will declare independence, and also why, even if it did, Beijing would be hesitant to attack. It's just too unpredictable a gamble for both sides of the strait.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Consider likewise how many Taiwanese are now doing business on the mainland, and going to university there too. The only real issue is that the Taiwanese don't want to be ruled by the CCP. That aside, most Taiwanese still consider themselves Chiense at heart.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: China warns the US.....

Machjo said:
Consider likewise how many Taiwanese are now doing business on the mainland, and going to university there too. The only real issue is that the Taiwanese don't want to be ruled by the CCP. That aside, most Taiwanese still consider themselves Chiense at heart.

diversion from the topic for a moment, but it is GREAT hearing about this from someone in China. We need all the international , representative perspectives we can get. Thanks for being here.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
US reports China missile build-up

China has increased the number of short-range ballistic missiles on its coast opposite Taiwan, the US has said.

In an annual report to Congress, the Pentagon claimed there were now up to 730 such missiles in place. Last year's report found only 500.

The Pentagon said China could now be spending up to $90bn a year on defence, and that its military build-up put regional balances at risk.

But China has dismissed the claims, insisting its rise would be peaceful....More

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
My biggest fear about my forthcoming trip to asia is this impending doom...i don't want to become a p.o.w. in a chinese or north korean camp...anyone seen the movie 7 Years in Tibet? I have a feeling i'll be in a similar situation as brad pitt...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Sy said:
My biggest fear about my forthcoming trip to asia is this impending doom...i don't want to become a p.o.w. in a chinese or north korean camp...anyone seen the movie 7 Years in Tibet? I have a feeling i'll be in a similar situation as brad pitt...

Ha, remember the hight of the North Korean missile crisis? I actually had a chance to go to North Korea... legally! The local government of a Chinese border town had made a deal with North Korea to allow members of an Esperanto tour group access. Granted, the path was pre-set, the bus would follow the path, not deviate, and the group members wold be free to to do what they wanted, even take pictures, as long as they stayed with the group, of couse. And it was to consist of Chinese, South Koreans, Japanese and, should I have gone, a caucasian Canadian.

I really did want to go, but I was too busy with other things, not to mention that some of my chicken-hearted co-ex-pats talked me out of it because fo US saber rattling. Lost opportunity right there; it's not easy going into North Korea legally! Well, as it turned ou, the group, which had gone without me, had returned to Chine in one piece.

Anyway, Sy, if you pass by Changchun, please let me know. I don't have an extra room, but you might be able to sleep on the couch, and I can show you around town.

I'd stay away from the bath houses if I were you, unless you're really short of cash, and even then, try to find a more reputable one. And if you book into a hotel, unless it's a government owned one, or unless you know it's reputable, put out the 'Don't disturb' sign and unplug the phone. And if a beautiful woman comes knocking on your door asking if you want a massage, don't let her in, 'cause she ain't your regular hotel staff! And remember, while HIV hasn't reached epidemic proportions yet in China, it's definitely cause for alarm!

So don't worry about Seven years in Tibet. You'll have way more concerns than that in China. Are you white? If so, expect prices to multiply unless you're a good bargainer. If you go to a Korean restaurant, remember dog soup is a common dish. Don't take pictures of government installations or you might get arrested (though you'll probably get released again within a couple hours if you can convince them that you meant no harm, but of course, bye bye film!). And when crossing the street, look both ways, ascertain the trajectories (no wonder the Chinese are good at maths) then dash across while still looking both ways. You might have to be aggressive with the drivers at times by putting your foot on the road, sticking out your hand, and then start walking. In heavy traffic, you might have to cross lane by lane (i.e., after crossing each lane, you ascertain the situation anew before proceding to the next, while standing in mid traffic in the meantime! (I think J-walking is illegal in China, but in many places it's the only way to cross; when I first went to China, I had a hard time distinguishing traffic behaviour between a green and red light, so subtle it was!). Oh, and some taxi drivers might indicate that you don't need to put on your seatbelt while he's driving; it suggests you don't trust his driving ability. Well, my advice to you? Put that seat belt on; I've seen enough bloody acrobatics from cyclists, motorists and others. And many locals know nothing about first aid, so if you survive the initial crash, some local might kill you while trying to save you! And as for beggars, you'll just have to be as assertive as they are aggressive. But don't worry; as aggressive as they are, they're much more annoying than they are dangerous.

And of course, don't participate in any kind of political action, and you'll be fine.

As for illegal activity, the line is really blurred. Seatbelts are legally mandatory, yet no one wears one. The foreign currency black market thrives right in front of the banks, and sometimes in the banks, prostitution is everywhere, and bycicle theft is rampant. and if you've got a visa problem, just invite the local police for dinner (I'm I'm not totally kidding on this one) :eek:

Anyway, if you come to China, have fun!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Sy said:

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't totally kidding with anything I'd said in that previous post!

lance

Jul 19, 2005
Few Chinese government officers can not represent mass of Chinese people will.
Five thousand yeas civilization, 1.3billion population, takes up1/5 of the whole world population,and open society,to know China by own experience, I hope.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Jay said:
Taiwan has friends, and the better part of Europe and probably Russia would get involved.

"America may win in the long run but it would be at a high cost and would be the biggest death toll of American servicemen since world war 2. If not the end of the planet as we know it."

Can you imagine how many dead Chinese soldiers there would be?

Russia wouldnt get involved. Europe either. No one likes Taiwan anyways. China is the next super power and everyone knows it.

lance

Jul 19, 2005
Yes.
This news has been posted on each Chinese website today morning.
So, what do you think China economy will change ?bad or better?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
China Unpegs Itself
Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly

By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: July 22, 2005
Thursday's statement from the People's Bank of China, announcing that the yuan is no longer pegged to the dollar, was terse and uninformative - you might say inscrutable. There's a good chance that this is simply a piece of theater designed to buy a few months' respite from protectionist pressures in the U.S. Congress.

Nonetheless, it could be the start of a process that will turn the world economy upside down - or, more accurately, right side up. That is, the free ride China has been giving America, in which the world's richest economy has been getting cheap loans from a country that is dynamic but still quite poor, may be coming to an end.

It's all about which way the capital is flowing.

Capital usually flows from mature, developed economies to less-developed economies on their way up. For example, a lot of America's growth in the 19th century was financed by investors from Britain, which was already industrialized.

A decade ago, before the world financial crisis of 1997-1998, capital movements seemed to fit the historic pattern, as funds flowed from Japan and Western nations to "emerging markets" in Asia and Latin America. But these days things are running in reverse: capital is flowing out of emerging markets, especially China, and into the United States.

This uphill flow isn't the result of private-sector decisions; it's the result of official policy. To keep China's currency from rising, the Chinese government has been buying up huge quantities of dollars and investing the proceeds in U.S. bonds.

One way to grasp how weird this policy is would be to think about what a comparable policy would look like in the United States, scaled up to match the size of our economy. It's as if last year the U.S. government invested $1 trillion of taxpayers' money in low-interest Japanese bonds, and this year looks set to invest an additional $1.5 trillion the same way.

Some economists think there is a deep rationale for this seemingly perverse policy. I think it's something the Chinese government stumbled into as it tried to protect itself from the 1997-1998 crisis, and it is reluctant to change because the Chinese economy has been doing well. That is, China's leaders don't want to mess with success.

But pressures against China's dollar purchases are building. By keeping the yuan down, China is feeding a trade surplus that is creating a growing political backlash in America and Europe. And China, which is still a poor country, is devoting a lot of resources to the accumulation of a basically useless pile of dollars instead of to higher living standards.

The question is what happens to us if the Chinese finally decide to stop acting so strangely.

An end to China's dollar-buying spree would lead to a sharp rise in the value of the yuan. It would probably also lead to a sharp fall in the value of the dollar relative to other major currencies, like the yen and the euro, which the Chinese haven't been buying on the same scale. This would help U.S. manufacturers by raising their competitors' costs.

But if the Chinese stopped buying all those U.S. bonds, interest rates would rise. This would be bad news for housing - maybe very bad news, if the interest rate rise burst the bubble.

In the long run, the economic effects of an end to China's dollar buying would even out. America would have more industrial workers and fewer real estate agents, more jobs in Michigan and fewer in Florida, leaving the overall level of employment pretty much unaffected. But as John Maynard Keynes pointed out, in the long run we are all dead.

In the short run, some people would win, but others would lose. And I suspect that the losers would greatly outnumber the winners.

And what about the strategic effects? Right now America is a superpower living on credit - something I don't think has happened since Philip II ruled Spain. What will happen to our stature if and when China takes away our credit card?

This story is still in its early days. On the first day of the new policy, the yuan rose only 2 percent, not enough to make any noticeable difference. But one of these days Chinese dollar purchases will trail off, and we'll find ourselves living in interesting times.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

Machjo said:
Sy said:

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't totally kidding with anything I'd said in that previous post!

If i'm headed to China i'll have to look you up, but it looks like I may be headed to south korea...teaching english to those who want to learn. Thanks for the invite though :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Sy said:
Machjo said:
Sy said:

If i'm headed to China i'll have to look you up, but it looks like I may be headed to south korea...teaching english to those who want to learn. Thanks for the invite though :)

Then watch for the dog meat. Tastes like beef really.