Cheese Fraudster Gets Community Service Instead of Jail Time

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What could be more nefarious than cheese fraud! I'll tell you what: Turns out Castle Cheese wasn't just selling customers bogus non-Parmesan and non-Romano cheeses—they were selling customers wood pulp. Yup, that's right: wood. pulp.

"The motive for doing so was simple—it was less costly for the Corporate Defendants to produce cheap, fake cheese while customers paid premium prices for real cheese," prosecutors wrote in the case against Castle Cheese and its president Michelle Myrter, who they say, "reaped the benefit of the difference between the lower costs and the higher revenue."

Earlier this year, Myrter pled guilty to fraud—and while she still faces a potential six-month jail term, the U.S. government is recommending that any community service she may be required to complete take place in a food pantry or soup kitchen, making the punishment more in line with the (culinary) crime. Myrter's lawyer, however, has requested probation for his client. He claims the prosecutor is "sensationalizing a relatively vanilla regulatory offense and inflating the role that Michelle Myrter personally played," reports Bloomberg.

Parmesan Cheese Fraud Leads To Jail Time

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
He claims the prosecutor is "sensationalizing a relatively vanilla regulatory offense and inflating the role that Michelle Myrter personally played," reports Bloomberg.

What?! This isn't like selling crab which is just flavoured Pollock, (which BTW my wife accused, [and was right], the Athena restaurant in Saskatoon of doing, we got our meals comped). This is more like selling dog turds calling them Oh Henry bars. I for one would be pretty cheesed off.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
when the pickerel of the day is pike
its time to have a nice steak