CC linked to Facebook?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Re: The 11th province?

Not anymore. I completely removed the linking between Facebook and CC accounts on privacy grounds; same goes with Google analytics.

The FB comments plugin only remains on a few pages now.

That is only because some people don't know how to set up the security on their facebook page....A few times I have checked the source of somebody's post on google and find out someone had put that post on their facebook page...and there would be some CC member's wall for anyone with a facebook account to see.
The best thing is not to link any account.
I resisted linking My GMail account to my youtube account until I had no coice...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: The 11th province?

Not anymore. I completely removed the linking between Facebook and CC accounts on privacy grounds; same goes with Google analytics.

The FB comments plugin only remains on a few pages now.
Did you stop using google analytics entirely?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Facebook connect shows on this page, i have it blocked through ghostery. Congrats are due though for the lack of tracking cookies on CC. Some sites i have visited have more than 20 including some of the most notorious privacy invaders like doubleclick.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
That is only because some people don't know how to set up the security on their facebook page

The privacy concerns are not because of users showing too much information, the privacy concerns are the fact that Facebook does not respect privacy. Connecting them to this site gives them additional data to mine.

Why did you remove analytics?

Same story as above. Google collects far too much data about users' browsing habits and giving them access to what users read and do on this site was worrying. On the other hand, I run my own stats.

Facebook connect shows on this page, i have it blocked through ghostery. Congrats are due though for the lack of tracking cookies on CC. Some sites i have visited have more than 20 including some of the most notorious privacy invaders like doubleclick.

DoubeClick = Google: Read above. Facebook Connect was removed a very long time ago.

Parts of the site that *do* display ads by Google are not supposed to include 'interest-based' tracking as CC is opted out.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Along with wearing a tin foil hat, I am also currently running chrome, firefox and opera. I'm using this site and surfing from Opera. My social media accounts run in firefox, and I don't open any other webpages there. I download torrents and generally go to shady websites in Chrome.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree Niflmir. Though Chrome is probably the very worst of all of the browsers when it comes to privacy. Everything you do can be linked back to you. Google is extremely complex and intelligent: without even logging in or having any Google cookies on your browser, they have many methods in which they can link you to 'anonymous browsing'. Chrome enhances this.

I use Chromium myself for shady browsing.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yeah, that is why I decided to use Firefox for my social networks.

In principle (who knows in practice), here in Europe they shouldn't be able to track people using Chrome without requesting it in the EULA... which makes me wonder if I actually read that EULA...