CBC loses control of 'Hockey Night in Canada' to Rogers in blockbuster deal

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
And your point?

I tend to think jobs are an ok thing.

As a consumer though, I really enjoy the type of programming that can be produced without solely commercial interests. On the radio side of things, NPR and CBC are really the only places you can go to find radio programming that actually has a bit of thought and effort put into it. CBC news outlets are able to go more in depth into issues than other news shows and don't have to resort to sensationalism to drive ratings.

I think that it really makes us better off as a society to have these options available, even if you don't necessarily consume it at this very moment.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

We Can Only Hope (Bumped for update)

"...the end of CBC as we know it".
Without the anchor of hockey exclusivity, and a Saturday night package that routinely drew audiences that doubled and tripled the CBC's viewership for even its strongest non-hockey programs, the public broadcaster is about to see its reach fall off a cliff.
Pollspotting: Would you like to see Don Cherry stay with Hockey Night in Canada?

UPDATE
The Prime Minister's Office has slammed the door on any bailout for the CBC to make up for lost advertising revenue from hockey broadcasts.
"CBC already receives significant taxpayer funds," PMO spokesman Stephen Lecce wrote in an e-mail. "We believe they can operate within their existing budget."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
via sda

We Can Only Hope (Bumped for update)

"...the end of CBC as we know it".
Without the anchor of hockey exclusivity, and a Saturday night package that routinely drew audiences that doubled and tripled the CBC's viewership for even its strongest non-hockey programs, the public broadcaster is about to see its reach fall off a cliff.
Pollspotting: Would you like to see Don Cherry stay with Hockey Night in Canada?

UPDATE
The Prime Minister's Office has slammed the door on any bailout for the CBC to make up for lost advertising revenue from hockey broadcasts.
"CBC already receives significant taxpayer funds," PMO spokesman Stephen Lecce wrote in an e-mail. "We believe they can operate within their existing budget."

Sun New Network is only too happy to dump on the CBC whenever possible. One comment from the PMO doesn't really mean that discussions wont happen in the future if there is public support for it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wonder how many people will be happy when the folks at Rogers start implementing the
changes and finding a way to shaft the viewer that is what its always about isn't it?
I have been less and less enthused about hockey for a long time they have slowly ruined
the game in my view and much of it is not worth watching. Too many teams and not
enough real competition in the league. Throw money at the problem seems to be the answer.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm with VMedia at half the cost of my old Rogers package.

Is it a dish system? I can't do that here at the condo.

Anyway, the kid works at Rogers and she's coming up available for her discount soon. Then I'll be paying half the cost of my old Rogers package, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Is it a dish system? I can't do that here at the condo.
Nope, through the existing cable, a Rogers cable, lol.

Anyway, the kid works at Rogers and she's coming up available for her discount soon. Then I'll be paying half the cost of my old Rogers package, lol.
Luck you, and you're such a sweet and forgiving Mom, I'd disown my kids if they ever went to work for the devil, lol.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wow I have a package on my phone from Telus that is from 2007 and I never changed it or the
phone. I use it sparingly and its alright fee wise The hours are good free after five etc.
The LG phone I bought was even run over by my orchard tractor and it still works don't need more
from the phone.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow I have a package on my phone from Telus that is from 2007 and I never changed it or the
phone. I use it sparingly and its alright fee wise The hours are good free after five etc.
The LG phone I bought was even run over by my orchard tractor and it still works don't need more
from the phone.

I've had really good luck with a variety of LG products myself.

What company/brand was it they used to be?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Especially radio. We have satellite radio now. No longer have to put up with their bringing Toronto's voice to the world. Most of their Canadian programs are pure crap and only make it on the air because of government meddling in the marketplace.

Guess who owns satellite radio? The CBC or better yet, you and me.