Canadollar

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
always gotta be a middle man. (phukinbanks)

so it varies. are ya buyin' or sellin'?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
we'll be expecting a full review in 2 weeks.
Of the plays? To be sure. The "standard of review" will be the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia. Twelve actors. No sets. Hand props only.

Absolute. . . fucking. . . genius.

Paul Gross is playing Lear. I never got to see his Hamlet, so I'm intrigued.

Reviews of Canada? Sorry, I won't be in Canada.

I'll be in Ontario.

Anecdote. . . last time I was in Stratford (last year) I had supper in a pub whilst wearing my John Chick #97 Roughriders jersey. The waiter, who was from Sask, swore to me that next time the Riders come to Hamilton, he'll invite me.

I will make a special trip to see the Riders take on the Ti-cats! And at some point, I'll get to Mosaic.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In order. . .

1. King Lear at Stratford. Powerful. Paul Gross is one hell of an actor.
2. On the Razzle at Shaw. Not a laugh a minute, a laugh every 30 seconds. Razor-sharp comic timing.
3. Playboy of the Western World at Shaw. A challenging play done very well.
4. Much Ado About Nothing at Stratford. Solid, competent performance, but I've seen better.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
nice!

was that some kind of arts package tourism deal, or did you throw it all together yourself?

glad your enjoyed our perfect weather for your trip.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
nice!

was that some kind of arts package tourism deal, or did you throw it all together yourself?

glad your enjoyed our perfect weather for your trip.
Just threw it together. I've been to both before (most recently last October). My favourite theatres are the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, the Folger Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, DC, and The Roundhouse in Bethesda, Maryland. Live theatre is a rare treasure. Each performance, you walk out with one shining moment, and you think "Me and 2 or 3 hundred other people saw that, shared that, lived that. Thousands will see this play with this cast, millions will see the play, but only we, the happy few, saw THAT performance.

It's what makes it worth dropping a hundred bucks and driving 500 miles to see a 400-year-old play you can recite much of.

And hey, as long as I'm going to drive to Stratford to see the Shakespeare, it's only about 25 miles (40 km) out of my way to stop in at the Shaw Festival on my way up or back.

And, my attitudes here notwithstanding, I like Canadians. I'd ask a Canadian to donate a kidney before I'd ask an American if I can bum a smoke.

Andecdote: There's a theatre in Abingdon, Virginia, out in coal country, called the Barter Theatre. It was established during the Great Depression to keep the arts alive. You bought your ticket with barter, usually farm products. The playwrights' royalties were paid in Virginia hams. Great authors from all over the world were happy to participate. Bernard Shaw, in keeping with his strict vegetarianism, rejected the ham and demanded a bushel of kale.

They charge money these days, but they'll talk your ear off about their illustrious, unique, and genius past. Lots of fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury