Canadians rejoice!

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
CAITLIN MACNEAL – DECEMBER 29, 2013, 2:11 PM ESTSen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) has hired lawyers to help him renounce his Canadian citizenship, theDallas Morning News reported Saturday.
“I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he told the Dallas Morning News.

Cruz said that he should complete the process by the end of 2014.
The Texas lawmaker has dual citizenship in the U.S. and Canada. Both his parents lived in Canada at the time of his birth, and his mother was an American citizen. His father was a Cuban citizen, and later became a citizen in the U.S.
Correction: This article originally stated that Cruz's father was an American citizen at the time of his birth. His father was a Cuban citizen at the time, and later became an American citizen.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Cluffy I'm with you I don't like Ms Clinton but I prefer her to the alternative
freak show that continues to play out on the Republican side of the court.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Great! That should guarantee a Democrat win in the next election. Go Hillary!

I wonder if she will even run. She is getting up there age wise. If she ran and won she would be in office til at least age 74. Ronald Reagan was older, sure, but I doubt many in that age group would want that job. It ages and stresses people quite a bit. Personally I think I'd rather spend those years relaxing rather than potentially driving myself to the grave faster. Thats just me though.

Also, isnt this guy ineligible to be President in any case because of his place of birth?

Cluffy I'm with you I don't like Ms Clinton but I prefer her to the alternative
freak show that continues to play out on the Republican side of the court.

In hindsight I wish she had won the nomination in 2008.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Also, isnt this guy ineligible to be President in any case because of his place of birth?
Yes he can run he had an American mother and that was all that is needed. Unless the laws get changed. Fact is however that any democrat would win over him. Christie however would probably beat any democrat, but he is the only one of the possible candidates who could beat a democrat.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cruz had an American Mother...but wasn't born on American soil, which
was a controversy in a past (I think last) American election where one of
the candidates was born in Panama....but on an American Military Base,
making it American soil.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Yes he can run he had an American mother and that was all that is needed. Unless the laws get changed. Fact is however that any democrat would win over him. Christie however would probably beat any democrat, but he is the only one of the possible candidates who could beat a democrat.
he might eat the other candidates. :shock: ;)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
It was decided that yes McCain was a natural born citizen. There was quite a controversy when Goldwater ran as well, he was born in Arizona before it became a state. I have a cousin who was born of his American parents at an American Air Force base in Libya, he is also an American citizen even though he won't be running for president.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
All the candidates are bought and paid for by big business. I couldn't care less who wins but I get a kick out of riling up the republicans. They are just too serious and nasty.

Republicans accommodate and collaborate with leftism. That makes them bad people. If you think Republicans are nasty you out to hang out with my crew of political nihilists...but we're light hearted about it. :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sigh. Before y'all start debating what you don't understand in the first place. . .

The Constitution, Article II, section 1, says "No Person except a natural born Citizen. . . shall be eligible to the Office of President. . . ."

Most legal scholars agree that this means that to be eligible a person must have been a citizen automatically, by operation of law, at her birth. Currently, that would mean anyone born on American soil and anyone with one or more American parents. That would mean that Obama (born on American soil of one American parent), McCain (born of two American parents in the Panama Canal Zone), and Cruz (born outside of America of one American parent) would all be eligible, though Cruz's case is the weakest of the three.

However. . . the Supreme Court has never ruled on exactly what this clause means. Until it does, explanations of the clause are just more or less educated guesses. Mostly less.

I'm sure birthers like Wally will be along to tell us how Obama is ineligible and Cruz is eligible.