Canada’s cities see immigration-driven population surge after pandemic lull

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Depends on the cost of replacing the tax base . If we need to provide all the necessities of life for the first two generations of immigrants what is the gain ?
Well of course we don't. IF we did then there'd be no initial benefit for trudeau to capitalize on. And in fact the numbers clearly show that the second generation is actually more productive than the average Canadian.

What he's taking advantage of is the gap between when they start earning money and when they pay enough taxes to pay for the upgraded infrastructure. In time they absolutely will but initially they don't so he can exploit the revenues. The problem is that always leaves a constant shortage of services because the need is always increasing at an accellerated pace instead of a liner one.

So - if you bring in 100 new immigrants and on average over the next 10 years they'll pay 10 dollars in taxes each you get 1000 dollars in tax, if it costs 500 dollars for the infrastructure to support them then as long as you've got a rolling number of 100 per year then you're fine,

BUT -if you bring in 100 this year and spend their money without the infrastructure upgrades, then you have a short term surplus but longer term there's a serious deficit because there's no money for infrastructure. So you bring in 200 the next year - spend some of their money on the infrastructure for last year's 100 to keep people off your back and pocket the rest. Which means next year you need to bring in 300 - and so on and so on.

So trudeau keeps increasing the number while going slower on providing the appropriate cash to compensate for the growth to the provinces. Health care transfers per capita are going down because the population is going up. And as long as he keeps bringing in more and more each year, that works. At least until suddenly there's a serious employment downturn and there's no jobs for the new arrivals.

That's the game he's playing.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The immigrants are coming to pay for Boomer and Gen X pensions and healthcare.
As noted, doesn't work like that. Sorry. They could bring in less than half of the people they are and achieve that without straining our systems.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Our population is top heavy with the aging that is undeniable fact. Who is going to pay for it?
It's not that top heavy. And some of the pension stuff is already funded, so they paid for it. And if you look at the numbers as i said you would be able to support that older population with much lower immigration levels

Remember that the biggest gov't pension to the average person (other than employees which is self funded) is CPP. CPP is internally funded for the most part. Check out how it did in 2019 for example:

So no need for immigration to pay for anything there. OAS is different but it's a very small amount of money and requires very little extra revenues.

Further retired people often still pay taxes. They still pay taxes on their rrsp money albiet at a reduced rate, often pay taxes on pension payments and investment in come and in many cases earn more money than the threshold and get their gov't benefits clawed back.

Its a myth that we're having any trouble funding people's pensions and such.

Health care is a slightly different issue and differs from province to province - but that's a provincial cost and as we've seen the feds aren't worrying about increasing that funding so that's sure not why they're bringing people in.

So to answer your question, on a federal level it's already paid for. What they want is the increased taxes and gdp etc. And they DON'T want to pay for the extra infrastructure, they want to stick that bill to the provinces.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Top heavy. Median age is around 41 - 42

Top heavy

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Top heavy. Median age is around 41 - 42

Top heavy
Repeat it about 4 more times, maybe THAT will change what i just told you

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
And now you've posted a cbc report proving that i was right - that the reason the gov't wants immigration isn't because of the boomers but rather because they want the immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes..

Seriously do you even watch or read this stuff before posting it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In the past 2 years you lost 10% of your pension value to inflation. Private funds also lost big to the market downturn. If a recession hits expect even more losses.

By any chance do you golf, pretend to be a volunteer firefighter and work at at bottle depot?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And now you've posted a cbc report proving that i was right - that the reason the gov't wants immigration isn't because of the boomers but rather because they want the immigrants to have jobs and pay taxes..

Seriously do you even watch or read this stuff before posting it?
You need to focus on the big picture not on me.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You need to focus on the big picture not on me.
I did focus on the big picture. You are currently the one posting stuff that completely misses the big picture. So it's kind of hard not to focus on that content. Post something relevant to your argument in the slightest (or at least something that doesn't prove my point instead of yours) and we can focus on that. But if all you're going to do is randomly post crap that has nothing to do with your point then all you leave us to talk about is you.

But as you've probably figured out by now your original point was quite wrong. The feds aren't bringing in this level of immigrants to pay for retirement benefits. They have other reasons. The whole 'pension' thing on a federal level is an oft repeated belief out there but it's not accurate.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Is this a competition to you?
No, it's about accuracy and facts for me. It seems to be you who's competing. If we're discussing something and you say something that's not accurate or correct or factual then i post a correction and explain it. There's no competition or malice to it. But for whatever reason you seem to go berzerk and double down on your position, posting irrationally. I have no idea why.

The simple fact is that the liberal gov't is bringing in immigrants for the reasons i stated and possibly a few others, but not for the one you put forward. Which is fine, nobody's right all the time and that's the great thing about discussion, you are exposed to new information. But when you do get new info the correct thing to do is adjust your position based on it, not double down on your misconceptions and then just post any old nonsense even tho it's not remotely relevant to your argument. It's like you're trying to "win" something by being factually incorrect harder and faster. The best way to "win" if that's what you're interested in would be to check your facts and make sure you have a solid argument in the first place, because you can bet i probably did and if you can't back up your argument you're likely going to get called on it. Whereas i don't disagree with you when you make good arguments that are based by facts or logic.