Canada-US border will stay closed until America gets COVID-19 under control

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
the agreement ends Oct. 21 Trump says it's time to reopen the border so it'll get interesting just before the election.
http://www.cjme.com/2020/10/16/sask-community-faces-unusual-circumstances-with-border-being-closed/
North Dakota has seen a surge of cases recently, eclipsing a record high amount of cases on Friday with 877 new cases. The state’s total number of active cases is 5,247.

That’s a serious contrast to the numbers in Saskatchewan, which had 271 active cases as of Thursday. It’s important to note that Saskatchewan’s population is also 1.2 million, compared to North Dakota’s roughly 800,000.

It goes to show the difference in how every country, province or state is handling things,” Turner said. “Personally, I am excited for the border to reopen but I understand the need to be safe.”

justfred99

Nominee Member
Aug 2, 2015
North America
November 4
Your statement implies that the border will open on the 4th of November. That would imply that someone (you did not say who) will be the new or re-elected president of the USA. I will venture a guess that the votes will be about 60% counted by the end of the 4th, let alone settled as to who will win. I am not sure what the present President says that the voting will be rigged. Is he saying that they Democrats are smarter than the GPO's, as he implies that they are the only ones that will double vote, only ones that will turn out to vote? Having said this, is he saying that the GPO's can not be trained to do the same. AND HE REPRESENTS THE REPUPICANS!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I would not hold my breath waiting for a return to normal borders. They may never come back. Like air travel cross border travel is a question mark. I personally do not see it happening any time soon. This winter is likely to see many more Americans perish from this largely containable virus. Hopefully we can one day reopen the border but it is out of the question until at least next summer.

I feel badly for the majority of people who are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to contain this thing, but our society is riddled with deniers. They are not going to cooperate.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I would not hold my breath waiting for a return to normal borders. They may never come back. Like air travel cross border travel is a question mark. I personally do not see it happening any time soon. This winter is likely to see many more Americans perish from this largely containable virus. Hopefully we can one day reopen the border but it is out of the question until at least next summer.

I feel badly for the majority of people who are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to contain this thing, but our society is riddled with deniers. They are not going to cooperate.
Perfect no lineups at Whistler .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I hope it stays closed.

We've already had a huge outbreak in NB due to travel outside the province and a person coming in and not following the rules.

People from the US have shown they don't care about the virus not just in their own country, but in others too.

So no, until they grow the fuk up, keep it closed.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I hate to break this to you Toots, but New Brunswick has never had a huge breakout.

New Brunswick has 104 active cases in the province. For comparison sakes, the state of North Dakota, which has roughly the same population as NB, has 5,652 active cases. That means for every one case in NB, there are 56 cases in North Dakota.

It's not bad at all in New Brunswick. In fact, if you look at this chart, New Brunswick has had one of the lowest active case counts in North America:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...vinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

Hate to break it to you but you're a fuking idiot, as usual, and of course you missed my fuking point totally regardless.

Compared to what we had at the start of it all, yes, we HAVE had a huge breakout in the past couple of weeks.

We had up until this month relatively low cases, one of the better situations in Canada. Highest case was 72 in April. Then little infections recorded here and there where we've had numbers as low as in two zones. Now we have 104 spread across 4 zones, with two of those zones being over 40 cases.

After months, 104 is a huge breakout for us.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/09bdd1931b8644d1ba70e2ee8e79675f

One of the reasons for the infection uptick this month was due to travel, and that was from someone from another province.

Considering the lack of ANY regard for life from many in the US, and how many from the US come to NB in the run of just a day, our infection rate would only increase. So again, yes, keep the border closed until the US grows the fuk up and deals with this properly.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Toots,

I think you have become paranoid and scared. New Brunswick averages about 7 cases a day in a province of nearly 800,000 people. That is not even 1 in 100,000. Maybe take a deep breath, and relax. Do you have any pets? A small dog or cat could really help your irrational fear of COVID. Just live life to it's fullest. The worst thing you can do is overthink this.

There is a "bad" COVID breakout in your head. There may come a time where NB has a legitimate COVID breakout (200+ cases/day), but for now this is psychosomatic. Your province is fine.

I actually am not afraid of Covid.

But I do care that my immune compromised mother might get exposed to it sometime.

I do care that others who are also immune compromised - family, friends or just people in general - might get it.

But I'm not afraid or fearful of it.

Again, you miss my point. But again, not shocking.

Perhaps go back to grade one to learn how to read...

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
You should just be glad you live in a Province that has a incredibly low COVID rate. New Brunswick, per-capita has the lowest total COVID case rate in North America. It is virtually non-existent in your area. If this is how worked up you become when 5-6 people come down with COVID a day, for a week, imagine how unsettled you will become when COVID hits Atlantic Canada hard.

Being from Manitoba originally, for most of the pandemic the province lad the 3rd lowest per-capita case count in North America until early September. All it took was 6 weeks, and today we have fallen behind Saskatchewan, BC, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia, and have had 4 days in the past week, where we exceeded 100 cases/day. Keep in mind, there was a time we went over two weeks without a case in late spring.

All it takes is a week of super-spreaders to eventually jack the daily total up to over 100 in NB. It's a question of "when" not "if."

And who says I'm not proud of NB for being so good with Covid in its response?

Fact is, I have been. It's an example of WHY following good protocols actually works.

And you STILL don't obviously get what I'm saying... JFC.

It won't take a 'week' of super spreaders, either. All it takes is just one event, just one, under the right conditions.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I hope it stays closed.
We've already had a huge outbreak in NB due to travel outside the province and a person coming in and not following the rules.
People from the US have shown they don't care about the virus not just in their own country, but in others too.
So no, until they grow the fuk up, keep it closed.
Yet the outbreaks are happening because of those fing Canadians that will not respect your borders .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hate to break it to you but you're a fuking idiot, as usual, and of course you missed my fuking point totally regardless.

Compared to what we had at the start of it all, yes, we HAVE had a huge breakout in the past couple of weeks.

We had up until this month relatively low cases, one of the better situations in Canada. Highest case was 72 in April. Then little infections recorded here and there where we've had numbers as low as in two zones. Now we have 104 spread across 4 zones, with two of those zones being over 40 cases.

After months, 104 is a huge breakout for us.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/09bdd1931b8644d1ba70e2ee8e79675f

One of the reasons for the infection uptick this month was due to travel, and that was from someone from another province.

Considering the lack of ANY regard for life from many in the US, and how many from the US come to NB in the run of just a day, our infection rate would only increase. So again, yes, keep the border closed until the US grows the fuk up and deals with this properly.
But it sounds like Canadians are the ones that need to smarten the f up , if they are spreading it through your province . Maybe it is Trumps fault .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
RE border closure: even if the border was officially opened that would not mean a return to what we consider normality.

Airlines remained open and nobody flew.

As with the lockdowns it is the people who decide when its over.