Bush: constitutional amendment - Gay Marriage Ban

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Bush: constitutional

yep said1, south africa was effectivly our fault (britain's) to begin with, kenya too (that I'm afraid was the last attempt to keep a long since faded empire), but the irony he (my south african friend) was on about was how he used to comment on how he could generally get shot for walking in white land, but he was aware of it, where as if he went to the deep south, although some might be totally against apartied, in his words "people would probably want to hang me", I think Mohammed Ali stressed that a bit too

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Bush: constitutional

Daz_Hockey said:
ITN, I'm fully aware of what we did in Kenya ol chap, I'm fully aware of what we did all over the world, keep using what we did long ago as stick to beat my country with, go ahead, I'm on about today

Hey, you call the US the land of baby killers, as far as I'm concerned you have your head so far up your ass there is no escape. You don't know squat what the British Empire did, obviously since I never hear you condemn the actions.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Said1 said:
Daz_Hockey said:
said1, I nicked that from wikipedia's def. of nnegative rights

Ok. Are these things now above common law, thanks to the EU?

as far as I was aware, most of those were common unwritten UK laws anyway, the UN stands for them as well, and s founder members I dont understand how anyone could think we did not adhere to them

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

ITN, there are two main co-allition forces in Iraq and Britain hasnt been accused of going into a house and deliberatly shooting children, thats all I'm saying

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Daz_Hockey said:
ITN, there are two main co-allition forces in Iraq and Britain hasnt been accused of going into a house and deliberatly shooting children, thats all I'm saying

What you're saying is that you are attaching inhumane actions to a passport, that's what you're saying, which by definition makes you a bigot.

If those people are found guilty, they will be punished.

And btw, I suppose the beating of kids in the street by British troops sort of escaped the news?

I never once said the fuckin Brits but rather, the morons who did it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Said 1 said:
8.the right to bear arms
that is a unique law given to a country with a history of frontiership, handgun use, not relevant in a country such as the UK.

The right to keep and bear arms is also straight out of English common law, it pre-dates the Magna Carta, and is Article 7 in the English Bill of Rights of 1689.......

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Daz_Hockey said:
Said1 said:
Daz_Hockey said:
said1, I nicked that from wikipedia's def. of nnegative rights

Ok. Are these things now above common law, thanks to the EU?

as far as I was aware, most of those were common unwritten UK laws anyway, the UN stands for them as well, and s founder members I dont understand how anyone could think we did not adhere to them

But, that in itself doesn't uphold those laws. I'm not saying the UK is famous for human rights abuses against their citizens, but the fact of the matter is that in the UK, they are not protected by a written document as is the case in Canada, the USA and elsewhere, protecting a citizens negative rights. Meaning, any legislation passed, that might be in violation of any common human rights laws is/was not subject to judicial review - until that pesky EU came along. :lol:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Bush: constitutional amendment - Gay Marriage Ban

Colpy said:
Said 1 said:
8.the right to bear arms
that is a unique law given to a country with a history of frontiership, handgun use, not relevant in a country such as the UK.

The right to keep and bear arms is also straight out of English common law, it pre-dates the Magna Carta, and is Article 7 in the English Bill of Rights of 1689.......

I didn't say that. Good one though. :)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

ITN, I've got you quite bent out of shape over the issue of the maltreatment of iraqi's and the like, for that I appologise, but YES, it's well known that most other countries these days, if they see an American uniform (which IS actually quite different to a UK one) they tend to think they'll get beaten or killed, it's a fact, negative perception, like Britain long back, you've built up quite a name for yourself in many places, Britain has been seen in a lot of places (Basra for example) as the "good cop" compared to the US's "bad cop", it's all about press.

Camp X-ray, those KILLINGS (not beatings, however they caused MUCH less trouble than this lot) besides, your image everywhere tends to be very poor, for example, the first few british dead were caused by US "friendly" fire, now with "firends" like that....

and Said, the magna carta, good bunch of documents and all, and I know the bill of rights is based on them, but it also says that "no man should be tried on the evidence given by a women", like the bill of rights, completely out of place today I'm afraid...mostly

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Daz_Hockey said:
and Said, the magna carta, good bunch of documents and all, and I know the bill of rights is based on them, but it also says that "no man should be tried on the evidence given by a women", like the bill of rights, completely out of place today I'm afraid...mostly

I'm not following you, I'm not talking about the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights, stemming from the UK. What does the above have to do with what I said.?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I dont ITN, I'm just a stupid popularist.....I dont dislike the US, I really dont

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Bush: constitutional amendment - Gay Marriage Ban

Said1 said:
Colpy said:
Said 1 said:
8.the right to bear arms

I didn't say that. Good one though. :)

You're right!

Sorry.

Daz Hockey wrote the offending post up top...........

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Daz_Hockey said:
I dont ITN, I'm just a stupid popularist.....I dont dislike the US, I really dont

Of course not, we're just a bunch of baby killers preeching freedom and democracy. Spare me.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I think not said:
Daz_Hockey said:

Of course not, we're just a bunch of baby killers preeching freedom and democracy. Spare me.

media representation my man, media representation.

All I'm trying to point out is that nobody is perfect, britain did all this, britain did all that, sure, brutal, no doubt, repressive, fine.....but I'm not painting a perfect picture of the UK am I?

it just seems a lot of people seem to want to paint a perfect picture of the US, the truth is usually quite removed from it, the killings happened, these are facts and I'm just suggesting the US is also at odds with it's stated core values.....currently at least.

no, really, Americans in America are fine, it's when a lot of people's world view comes into effect is when I get touchy "were gonna spread freedom and liberty wherever we go" oh please.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

And, back to the topic at hand...

"I don't know what people are talking about or how David Gregory knows that. But I do know that gay marriage amendments have been put on the ballots in about 20 states now and passed by far larger numbers than Bush won the election by."

So, because lots of people want to use the state to be bigots, that means that its ok for our politicians to try too? What a joke. Take your religion, shove it up your ass, and quit trying to force it on others.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Listen Daz, I have never pretended the United States is a benevolent force, we have a long list of blood on our hands and we also have a long list of a great many good things. Every single country on the face of the earth protects it's interests, whether or not others get hurt. It's the way the world works. Being British, you should know this first hand.

And yes we have spread freedom and democracy, we have also spread a good number of dictatorships, especially in Latin America. What you "leftists" never see, is the flip side of the coin, you will believe what you want to believe, and that's all.

We never stay where we go, never. We are not an occupying force, we are a temporary stabilizing force. We will not stay in Iraq, I don't know when we will leave, but we will.

Now you can twist it, bump it, toss around any which way you like, be thankful the cold war ended up the way it did.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

why should I be thankful the coldwar ended up like it did?

I mean, it was obvious really, it was like watching a poorman get himself into debt for the rest of his life to keep up with the Jones's, it was pityful really.....just another example of the pityless-self-centredness of big business right wing "up-the-ladder-up-jack-and-sod-the-rest" ideals that plague society against what was ultimatly a selfless idealistic ecomonic ideal corrupted by individuals who didnt belong in said system to begin with.

Communism was a noble if not flawed belief'

Capitalism is in truth very unequal wrong, and very traditional way of walking over people, which ultimatly hurts many people.

America was born out of capitalism, not democracy like so-called so'oth sayers would suggest.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

LittleRunningGag said:
So, because lots of people want to use the state to be bigots, that means that its ok for our politicians to try too? What a joke. Take your religion, shove it up your ass, and quit trying to force it on others.

Nice to see you back on the side of good :wink: :p