Burning the Canadian Flag?

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Burning the Canadian Flag?

tamarin said:
I'd be more concerned about the other obvious and much more prevalent abuse of the flag: flying one in tatters. If burning a flag is a concern, and it is to many, then why isn't there also attention paid to the many that fly a flag that's torn, segmented, sunbleached or simply kicked the hell out of? There are two prominent Canada flags less than a mile from here that are barely recognizable and yet greet passersby daily. I can't think there's any pride of country shown in flying them.

I'm surprised to say that I finally agree with you on something, tamain.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Burning the Canadian Flag?

FiveParadox said:
My disdain for the act does not mean that I don't recognize one's right to perform it.

That about sums it up. I love Canada, have served in her armed forces for a long time and still get misty eyed at the sight of the Maple Leaf - especially now that I'm living here in the US.

But protest is a basic part of a democracy. That bit about defending somones right to say something you don't like. I don't want to see the flag burned or stomped on. But what would be worse would be depriving people of the lawful right to do that.

Maybe living down here and watching all the craziness first hand has given me a different perspective. Between the desire to enshrine hatred and bigotry in the constitution to the cavalier way the govt seems to be treating the citizens rights lately. What good is fighting for rights that are being removed?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
RE: Burning the Canadian

I guess I am sort of a Nationalist, I dont like to see it done, and I wouldnt take part in it. I do however understand it is a form of protest. But then with thta being said I guess the dystruction of any national symbol would be ok right?

Hell we could Kick over and spray paint war heros tomb stones, piss on Joesph Howes statue and then lob off its head. We could even Light Paliment on fire, or knock over the CN tower, and blow up the rail road.

The Flag is a National symbol that emboides all of our Symbols and Values, Burn that and you might as well fuck with evrything else that is Canadian.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Burning the Canadian

EastSideScotian said:
I guess I am sort of a Nationalist, I dont like to see it done, and I wouldnt take part in it. I do however understand it is a form of protest. But then with thta being said I guess the dystruction of any national symbol would be ok right?

Hell we could Kick over and spray paint war heros tomb stones, piss on Joesph Howes statue and then lob off its head. We could even Light Paliment on fire, or knock over the CN tower, and blow up the rail road.

The Flag is a National symbol that emboides all of our Symbols and Values, Burn that and you might as well *censored* with evrything else that is Canadian.

Oh man. I guess if you live long enough, you really do hear it all.

Let me try to put this in perspective for you. A flag is a rag. Burning one causes no one any harm, and there is no cost to anyone, but the person who shelled out the loonies for the flag. If you can't comprehend the difference between symbolic destruction of a piece of fabric, and an act of vandalism, then I have some serious concerns about you.

Burning a flag is about as harmful as burning a book that you disagree with. If you pay for the book, you can do whatever you want with it. And the burning of a book does not imply a hatred for intellectuals, free speech, education, or anything else that may be associated with a book. Perhaps you're just opposed to racism, and you're burning a book that condones racism? Who cares? Are all authors going to be offended, or band together to fight a perceived assault on intelligence? I hardly think so.

Please, EastSideScotian, put a little thought into your opinions.

PS. I don't burn flags either. I get in enough trouble just having opinions. And someone else has taken the painstaking labours of ensuring that my opinions get attention. :wink:

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Re: RE: Burning the Canadian

Simpleton said:
Please, EastSideScotian, put a little thought into your opinions.
Hmmm I did...because thats how I feel on the Situation, Clearly its not how you feel, but none the less that my opinion on it. I see where your coming from, but i disagree.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
am deeply concerned when people attempt to inhibit freedom, as guaranteed under the Charter, with the cloak of meaningless, and often exagerated, nationalism. It's all fine and good to have respect for the flag of your country, but let's remember that it is just a piece of fabric with pretty colors. It is not a life.

well it is your life it the symbol of Canadians it is our mark anyone defacing or destroying our flag should be charged and sentence to a term of no less than 1 year in jail

it is not a choice of fredom to do so ... imagine if someone went and destroyed something our cherish ywould you not look for them to be punish for their act

and this come from a person that really believe in the freedom act i fight for anything that goes against my freedom to do as i like

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
If you are going to descrate those symbols which a valued and revered by a country and you are a member of the country you deserve two gifts in order to make the day of desecration one you will never forget-

1. deportation papers
2. a swift kick out the door...

If you are going to desecrate the same symbols and you are in another country you deserve two things-

1.a ban on visiting our country
2. no maple sugar candy for life

take that, nasty piro-flagga-maniacs!!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm against it. I could go into a long rant and relate an event involving a "No blood for oil" protester, during Persian Gulf I, a lighter, a bottle of lighter fluid, a warning, a warning unheaded, a swift and unmeasured response(by moi), an RCMP officer, a pair of tight handcuffs, my father, my father and his ID, my going home with my Dad and me listening to how I should use my head, for more then holding up my hat and all. But I would just get worked up. Besides, I think everyone has seen enough of my Fred Flintstone impression.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
If you want to be able to celebrate "The true North strong and free" then allow a citizen to burn a flag in protest.

first of all l object to the term citizen, the term should be idiot, or better- childish idiot.

Freedom in order to exist in the free world must be a protected to those who honour and keep our country free from destruction, acts of contempt, and violence.

I think anyone should be allowed to show their distain, and then face the consequences of the law, and l think the law should deport them and let them live in a place without a Canadian flag, or it's protection or respect or freedom, then they and others will appreciate what they have, and honor the social values, and learn to make their point in a civilized and rational way...

Hey, maybe l should run for Prime Minister?!!!:cool:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Maybe you should take up Constitutional courses before you do that.

"if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable."

I realize I am quoting a case in the US, but I believe it applies in Canada.

Do not seek to take away rights from the people, give them more, they are hungry for more.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

first of all l object to the term citizen, the term should be idiot, or better- childish idiot.

Freedom in order to exist in the free world must be a protected to those who honour and keep our country free from destruction, acts of contempt, and violence.

I think anyone should be allowed to show their distain, and then face the consequences of the law, and l think the law should deport them and let them live in a place without a Canadian flag, or it's protection or respect or freedom, then they and others will appreciate what they have, and honor the social values, and learn to make their point in a civilized and rational way...

Hey, maybe l should run for Prime Minister?!!!:cool:

tell all that freedom talk to those "canadians" that have fallen victem to their own government and see how far it flies!

It is paramount that to even maintain the facade of a free democracy that forms of protest such as flag burning be protected.

Run for PM? It sounds more like you would want to be annointed as Emperor.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
I am very aware of the constitution and l have studied law cases in which the Constitution is challenge you nit-whit!!!:rolleyes:

I was giving my opinion on how l think it should be if l was...EMPEROR!!!!!:cool: with shades of course...

lighten up! go burn a flag or something!!!{both of you are nit-wits}

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I can't think of anything that Canada has done to deserve burning of our flag. Individual ruling parties yes, so go ahead and burn a Conservative party or Liberal party flag but not the Maple Leaf.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If you want to burn a maple leaf, start with the blue one... That may ruffle some feathers!