Brothers, eh?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A letter in the Globe and Mail:

In spite of the PQ win, I don’t believe for a minute that Quebec will leave Canada – Canada as a nation is just too good a deal for everyone who lives here. Still, it made me think of us as a nation of brothers.

Brother 1, Alberta: Brash, bold, works hard, but hey, he also won the Lucky Sands lottery. Lucky, lucky guy.

Brother 2: So cool, he only uses his initials. B.C. likes to fish, sail, wear sandals with thick grey socks and drive an old VW van. Happiest outdoors.

Brother Ontario: Had it all, great job, big income. When he spoke, everyone in the family listened. But, he lost his job, ran up really dumb debts, then still tried to throw his weight around. He’ll come back, but needs to realize he’s not the kingpin any more.

Brother Saskatchewan: Likes working in the summer sun growing food, then takes his motor home south for the winter. If the growing-food thing fails, really likes the family to pitch in with the bills. Won the smaller “Pot Ash” lottery, so he’s feeling pretty good these days.

Three of the brothers on the East Coast live together. The Maritime Boys love life. They also like to fish, but making a living at it hasn’t gone so well for them.

Another brother lives apart: Newfoundland and Labrador likes to fish too, but enjoys the solitude and likes lots of ice in his water.

Brother Manitoba doesn’t say much, keeps a low profile. Not flashy but a really good guy.

And then there is Brother Quebec: Always upset with the family, always asking for more, always living slightly higher than he can afford. What can I say, we love him and he loves life but here he is talking about leaving ... again.

Of course, I asked our Northern family if they wanted to be called our brothers, but they just said they wanted “Nunavit.”

George Brookman, Toronto

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Brother Saskatchewan: Likes working in the summer sun growing food, then takes his motor home south for the winter. If the growing-food thing fails, really likes the family to pitch in with the bills. Won the smaller “Pot Ash” lottery, so he’s feeling pretty good these days.

Brother Sask is more than dabbling in oil these days too. Just say'n...;-)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Exactly. Who would walk away from this? They already have all the perks we can give them plus they can make laws that take away their citizens freedoms and nobody says sh1t. Quebec has the best of it all and then some.
If they left it would have to be a clean cut. The rest of the hard working people in Canada will not tolerate paying for them to leave.
I would say from my point of view it would be war if they left without paying their way out, for example assuming their share of the national debt and starting their own currency to support it.
They will be a participating member of the excellent country or they will get off the gravy train and fend for themselves.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It should be noted. the quarrel over the documents of Confederation started the day
after the signing of the damn thing. Quebec has no intention of going anywhere it is
too good a deal.
Besides most don't realize many federalists vote PQ because the are a little left of
center, but when it comes to a separation vote, they vote federalist. The appetite for
separation is only 28% these days so the likely hood of a vote would not favor the PQ.
I agree no separation from Canada anytime soon

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What about if they let the rest of us vote on them leaving? I for one would be happy to see Quebec disappear into the past. They bring no natural resources to speak of. They have a population who is bred to believe they are entitled to cradle-to-grave care from the govt and they believe the rest of Canada should foot the bill. They need a big wake-up call and sending them packing with their share of the debt (should be more since they ran it up) and without the loonie might just do it.

I say goodbye Montreal, goodbye Chicoutimi, goodbye Quebec City and good riddance.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Oh, right. Annex Hull and all those Fed. buildings. Right also the north half of the province too. On behalf of the native people.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
What about if they let the rest of us vote on them leaving? I for one would be happy to see Quebec disappear into the past. They bring no natural resources to speak of. They have a population who is bred to believe they are entitled to cradle-to-grave care from the govt and they believe the rest of Canada should foot the bill. They need a big wake-up call and sending them packing with their share of the debt (should be more since they ran it up) and without the loonie might just do it.

I say goodbye Montreal, goodbye Chicoutimi, goodbye Quebec City and good riddance.

You'd get along great with most separatists!

Of course, I asked our Northern family if they wanted to be called our brothers, but they just said they wanted “Nunavit.”

Most Quebec separatists would simply want ''Quebec''. Not brothers. Just neighbours.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Oh, right. Annex Hull and all those Fed. buildings. Right also the north half of the province too. On behalf of the native people.

Most of the northern part of quebec has said they do not want to separate from Canada or perhaps more correctly they do not want to be controlled by the separatists in Montreal and Quebec City. The separatists however claim the whole province is theirs for the picking.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Most of the northern part of quebec has said they do not want to separate from Canada or perhaps more correctly they do not want to be controlled by the separatists in Montreal and Quebec City. The separatists however claim the whole province is theirs for the picking.

The majority of the province said NO,but the separatists didn't listen,too busy wanking on a dead dream.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I say goodbye Montreal, goodbye Chicoutimi, goodbye Quebec City and good riddance.[/QUOTE

Sorry, PN.........my country includes Quebec........warts and all. United we stand, divided we fall.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Brother Ontario: Had it all, great job, big income. When he spoke, everyone in the family listened. But, he lost his job, ran up really dumb debts, then still tried to throw his weight around. He’ll come back, but needs to realize he’s not the kingpin any more.

:lol:, were still #1 dont forget that you "other" provinces :lol:...

you forgot Saskatchewan is also feeling all powerful from the Uranium they have :)

Brother 2: So cool, he only uses his initials. B.C. likes to fish, sail, wear sandals with thick grey socks and drive an old VW van. Happiest outdoors

We made a railroad for BC and now they are one of the happiest members of our family. Quebec could learn something from them and their example.

Most Quebec separatists would simply want ''Quebec''. Not brothers. Just neighbours.

:lol:.....

The majority of the province said NO,but the separatists didn't listen,too busy wanking on a dead dream.

:lol:

These serpratists sound like a group of real brain dead folk.... Theres always going to be alot of radicals in politics, its funny that quebec has the most. Every family needsa a big cry baby and Quebec is our little cry baby brother :D

Baby want his bottle :lol:

Last edited: