British pub food

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Bubble and Squeak is traditional British pub food but there are probably a few dozen different recipes for it. This one is my favourite.

Bubble and squeak

Ingredients:
Two cups leftover mashed potatoes
One and one half cups cabbage very-coarsely shredded.
One medium onion finely chopped
One pound pork sausage (breakfast sausage)

Pierce sausages with a fork a half dozen times on each side.
In a skillet with a lid simmer sausages in a half inch of water for twenty minutes.
Drain sausage and brown slightly. set aside.
In same skillet add an ounce of butter or margarine. At fairly high heat add
onion and cabbage. Saute until onion and cabbage are tender.
Add mashed potatoes, mix, and fry until well heated and starting to brown. Add
sausages to mixture just to reheat and serve.

BTW, a non-stick pan works best......:smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Bubble and Squeak is traditional British pub food but there are probably a few dozen different recipes for it. This one is my favourite.

Bubble and squeak

Ingredients:
One pound pork sausage (breakfast sausage)

Pierce sausages with a fork a half dozen times on each side.
In a skillet with a lid simmer sausages in a half inch of water for twenty minutes.
Drain sausage and brown slightly. set aside.
In same skillet add an ounce of butter or margarine. At fairly high heat add
onion and cabbage. Saute until onion and cabbage are tender.
Add mashed potatoes, mix, and fry until well heated and starting to brown. Add
sausages to mixture just to reheat and serve.

BTW, a non-stick pan works best......:smile:

I'll be there in July to see the GP, I'll ask for it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol.... a Newfie girl I used to work with was trying to explain to me one day this dish her mom makes called 'bubble and squeak'. It was, she said, a fish dish with pork sauce. You cook the fish and then add the sauce from the pork, but, she lamented that being in Alberta, she was unable to get the appropriate cut of pork to make the sauce from. I stared at her in utter confusion, unsure what cut of pork would be sauce specific, let alone not available in Alberta, and she informed me that it was the white cut of pork meat, the one that turns to sauce when heated. She didn't quite believe me when I tried to explain that no meat turns to sauce when heated, and the 'white cut' between the pink meat and the skin was merely the lard. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'll be there in July to see the GP, I'll ask for it.

Don't be surprised if it comes with ham, or beef, or bacon, etc., because everybody has their own recipe. The only constant is the mashed potatoes and cabbage. Have a good time over there....:smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Don't be surprised if it comes with ham, or beef, or bacon, etc., because everybody has their own recipe. The only constant is the mashed potatoes and cabbage. Have a good time over there....:smile:

I'll be at a pub every day so I guess I'll find out.:beer:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lol.... a Newfie girl I used to work with was trying to explain to me one day this dish her mom makes called 'bubble and squeak'. It was, she said, a fish dish with pork sauce. You cook the fish and then add the sauce from the pork, but, she lamented that being in Alberta, she was unable to get the appropriate cut of pork to make the sauce from. I stared at her in utter confusion, unsure what cut of pork would be sauce specific, let alone not available in Alberta, and she informed me that it was the white cut of pork meat, the one that turns to sauce when heated. She didn't quite believe me when I tried to explain that no meat turns to sauce when heated, and the 'white cut' between the pink meat and the skin was merely the lard. lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if some people make bubble and squeak with fish. I would say if it doesn't have cabbage and mashed potatoes it is something else. Pork lard is probably not one of my favourite things to eat, but to each his/her own....;-):smile:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My grandparents used to make"bubble and squeak" when I was a kid. But there is probably no actual food called bubble and squeak. People often just mix foods up and call it that. My grandparents just used to mix up mashed potatoes, mashed carrots, peas and a few other bits and pieces into one colourful blob and called it bubble and squeak.

The thing that I eat mostly in pubs,though, is pork scratchings. In the south of England they'd also probably serve jellied eels.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well Blackleaf, I spent a good deal of time in Britain in the sixties and Bubble and Squeak was on the menu in lots of pubs. . As I've said, the two constants were mashed potatoes and cabbage, but it was served with just about any kind of meat.

Here is a link to a few recipes:

http://tinyurl.com/36ak6z

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Bubble and squeak

Ingredients:
One pound pork sausage (breakfast sausage)[/quote]
Two Fat Ladies had a good recipe for this, too. Love it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Bubble and squeak

Ingredients:
One pound pork sausage (breakfast sausage)[/quote]
Two Fat Ladies had a good recipe for this, too. Love it.

I can imagine. The two fat ladies are honest at least. I don't think this is a recipe for anyone trying to lose weight. It is one of those simple dishes that are easy to make and taste good.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:blob8:Don't stop now!!

Bubble and squeak

Bangers and mash

Shepherd's pie

Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

English style fish and chips

Steak and kidney pie

Spotted dog

Trifle

Brings back memories of going home after school and smelling the aroma of me ma's cookin, and gramma's one pint of warm ale with supper........OMG.

No wonder we're a "hefty lot"

8O

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Shepherd's Pie

Many variations of Shepherd's Pie can be found in British pubs. This particular recipe originally came from an aunt in Scotland and is one that has been made in our house for quite a few years. I use both lamb or beef but I prefer lamb.

Ingredients:

2 pounds of lamb cut into smaller than bite sized pieces (1/2 inch cubes)
one small onion finely chopped
one clove of garlic, minced
one teaspoon dried basil
2 medium carrots finely chopped
one cup frozen green peas
two tablespoons vegetable oil
one tablesppon flour
three tablespoons tomato paste
one can Cambell's beef broth or consommé and half a can of water
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
five medium potatoes peeled, cooked and mashed with butter and milk, salt to taste.

Brown the lamb in the vegtable oil. Add onions, garlic, basil, carrots, peas, flour. Stir
and add the beef broth, water and the tomato paste, stir. Simmer for 30 minutes
Pour mixture into baking dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Link
Average British family eats the same six meals every week
Last updated at 12:27pm on 1st April 2008

MOST British families live off just six recipes - prepared week in, week out.

A traditional roast chicken is the favourite - served up frequently in 30 per cent of homes.
The next popular meals are spaghetti bolognese (27 per cent) and stir fry (12 per cent). Then came sausage and mash at 12 per cent, followed by curries (10 per cent) and pork chops (7 per cent).

Roast: the favourite meal in most British homes, who live on just six recipes
Just two per cent of families said that they cooked another dish most often.
The lack of appetite for adventure was revealed in the countrywide survey of 1,440 families for the What's for Dinner Club, which aims to encourage families to be more adventurous in their cooking. An amazing 98 per cent live off just six dishes.
Most (37 per cent) said they did not try new recipes because they were worried the family would not like them. Some 32 per cent said that they could not remember how to cook any other meals and 31 per cent said that they couldn't be bothered to plough through cook books to find new ideas.
The overwhelming majority, 78 per cent, buy the same selection of ingredients on every supermarket trip then follow their usual selection of recipes.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_02/RoastDinner_468x332.jpg

Yummy .

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
My grandparents used to make"bubble and squeak" when I was a kid. But there is probably no actual food called bubble and squeak. People often just mix foods up and call it that. My grandparents just used to mix up mashed potatoes, mashed carrots, peas and a few other bits and pieces into one colourful blob and called it bubble and squeak.

The thing that I eat mostly in pubs,though, is pork scratchings. In the south of England they'd also probably serve jellied eels.

I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to try jellied eels.8O

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Juan;
I didn't, actually, but will write it down anyway. Tis good stuff.

Nugg:thumbup:

True enough. You asked for Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I thought I had already posted a roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding recipe. Maybe I didn't......:smile: