British inventions that foreigners have taken credit for.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: British inventions that foreigners have taken credit

Blackleaf said:
Americans so struggled to find 100 great Americans that in their "100 Greatest Americans" they voted Jesus as number 13.

Jesus won't mind in the least!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Blackleaf said:
Alexander Graham Bell, telephone pioneer

He so loved being British that when he died, he had "Citizen of the United States" carved on his gravestone. Wonder if you guys knew that.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
RE: British inventions that foreigners have taken credit for

The Canadians voted Alexander Graham Bell as one of the Top 10 Greatest Canadians, so I think you colonists are a little confused.

He was born in Edinburgh, so we claim him.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Jay said:
Blackleaf said:
Americans so struggled to find 100 great Americans that in their "100 Greatest Americans" they voted Jesus as number 13.

Jesus won't mind in the least!

He could have become British. He visited Britain in his youth and left behind the Holy Grail. Unfortunately, he never stayed.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Blackleaf said:
The Canadians voted Alexander Graham Bell as one of the Top 10 Greatest Canadians, so I think you colonists are a little confused.

He was born in Edinburgh, so we claim him.

No we're not confused. We ackowledge his birthplace, seems he didn't fancy it enough to put it on his gravestone. Why the Canadians claim him, I have no idea.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: British inventions th

so would you call the pilgrim fathers American, or English from southampton like me?....I personally think theyre both, cant they be English Americans who come from southampton.

This is not random honest, the same applies for Alexander Graham Bell

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: British inventions th

Daz_Hockey said:
so would you call the pilgrim fathers American, or English from southampton like me?....I personally think theyre both, cant they be English Americans who come from southampton.

This is not random honest, the same applies for Alexander Graham Bell

The pilgrims were English of course, and the people that occupied what is present day New York City were Dutch, everybody prior to 1776 are referred to as Colonialists.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: British inventions th

many people STILL refer to Americans/Canadians/Mexicans as colonialists....but thats by the by, the fact remains this: why cant Canada take a claim on Alexander Graham Bell.....he was scottish....which is part of Great Britain and Canada used to be called british north america, britains principal possestion in the new world, they have a right to claim him, as does scotland, britain.........and perhaps the US

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

So do Canada and the US have a right to claim Stonehenge?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

It's the other way around. Because Canada and the US are ex-British colonies, then everything that is Canadian or American is also British - but not the other way around, as neither of those two countries has ever ruled Britain.