Blue Lives Matter

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jasmine Hartin’s Shot in the Dark
S34 E3 42min TV-14
Socialite Jasmine Hartin admits killing a top police official in Belize. For the first time she tells her detailed story of what happened to "48 Hours" correspondent Peter Van Sant. Air Date: Oct 2, 2021

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Umar Zameer not guilty of Toronto cop's death in City Hall parking lot

Author of the article:Michele Mandel
Published Apr 21, 2024 • Last updated 14 hours ago • 4 minute read

Umar Zameer has been found not guilty on all counts in the tragic 2021 death of Toronto Police Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup.
Umar Zameer has been found not guilty on all counts in the tragic 2021 death of Toronto Police Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup.
It was the only decision, the correct decision — an acquittal for Umar Zameer on all counts in the death of Toronto Police Det.-Const. Jeff Northrup.

The trial judge said as much when the jury returned with their dramatic “not guilty” verdict on all charges just after noon on Sunday. “Mr. Zameer, you’re free to go, sir,” Superior Court Justice Anne Molloy told him. “You have our deepest apologies for what you have been through.”

It’s not a usual comment by a judge — but it just emphasizes how clear it was that this could have been a terrible miscarriage of justice.

An outburst of sobs from Zameer and his family erupted in the downtown courtroom now that this lengthy ordeal is finally over for the accountant and father of three.

But sadly, there are no winners in this trial. Zameer missed the birth of his second child while in custody; his family in Pakistan had to pledge their entire life savings to gain his controversial release. He’s spent almost three agonizing years under the most serious jeopardy available in the Criminal Code, facing the possibility that he would spend the rest of his life in jail and not be able to see his children grow up.

Meanwhile, the devastated family of the officer killed in the line of duty must deal with a tragic and senseless death ruled an accident and not a crime.

“I’m very disappointed in today’s outcome,” Northrup’s widow, Margaret, told reporters in a brief statement. “From day one, all I’ve wanted is accountability. We miss Jeff every day. However, we continue on with him in our hearts, never to be forgotten. A hero in life, not in death.”

Still pale and shaken by the events of the day, Zameer also faced reporters outside the downtown courthouse after the verdict. Once again, he repeated that he was sorry and never meant for any of this to happen. He thanked his lawyers, Nader Hasan and Alexandra Heine, for standing by his side from the start.

Then the Pakistani-born immigrant from Malaysia thanked Canada.

“I thought I and Aaida made a wrong decision when we thought we should go to Canada, that it’s a better place for our kids,” he said. “But I think today I see that Canada didn’t let injustice happen. So I thank Canada. Thank you very much.”

Zameer and his wife, Aaida, immigrated in January 2019 on the federal government’s Skilled Worker Program. They had come down to Nathan Phillips Square that night to celebrate Canada Day with their two-year-old son, and while walking downtown, they’d seen a shirtless man who’d been stabbed in the abdomen and a heavy police presence. So by midnight, with a cranky toddler and the sketchy situation, they were anxious to get home to Woodbridge.

They were in their BMW in the nearly deserted garage beneath City Hall and after Aaida, who was eight-months-pregnant, had put their son in his car seat, they were preparing to leave when they said two strangers rushed towards them, motioning for them to stop and then began banging on their windows.

Zameer maintained they never identified themselves as police.

When a dark minivan with tinted windows suddenly blocked their path forward, Zameer fairly panicked and thought they were being ambushed by a band of criminals. Just a week earlier, another Muslim family had been targeted in London, Ont., and four members killed.

Who wouldn’t react in fear?

Three police witnesses for the prosecution told the jury Northrup had his hands in front of him, bracing for impact, as Zameer purposely ran him down.

But two accident reconstructionists — including one from the Crown — completely disagreed. They said the evidence at the scene — including the grainy parking garage video — showed Northrup hadn’t been hit head-on, but had been sideswiped as Zameer quickly reversed out of the parking spot and then accelerated toward the exit.

Not knowing the officer had fallen in the path of his car.

Did the cops lie? Did the three eyewitnesses collude and get their stories to mesh? Or were their memories skewed because of the trauma of watching their colleague being run over before their eyes.

We may never know. But what is clear is that even as far back as September 2021, just two months after the incident, then-Superior Court Justice Jill Copeland released Zameer on bail because she found the Crown’s case for murder to be “weak.” During the trial, Molloy made it clear that she felt the same way.

“It should never have made it to trial,” insisted Hasan. “Why it went to trial is a question you’ll have to ask the Crown attorney’s office.”

For his part, Crown attorney Michael Cantlon issued a brief statement saying Northrup’s death “warranted a trial to determine accountability.”

Whether it was pressure from politicians or the police service, in the end, the murder trial only served to compound the pain for those who loved and admired the fallen officer.

Northrup was a father of three, a cop beloved by his colleagues who served our city with honour for 31 years. His death was a horrible accident in the line of duty. It should have been mourned as such.

But by convincing his poor family that he was intentionally murdered, and then handing them the crushing disappointment when that charge could not be sustained, they’re forced to mourn him anew.

mmandel@postmedia.com

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I read this new story yesterday, and what I didn’t see was an explanation as to why these undercover police we’re trying to swarm this dude and his pregnant wife and two-year-old child in a parking garage….

Was it a case of mistaken, identity or something else? It doesn’t say, or I missed it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I read this new story yesterday, and what I didn’t see was an explanation as to why these undercover police we’re trying to swarm this dude and his pregnant wife and two-year-old child in a parking garage….

Was it a case of mistaken, identity or something else? It doesn’t say, or I missed it?
It wasn't mentioned in that article but not hard to figure out. First clue is dark skinned driver, 2nd late at night in a parkade, 3rd BMW = "nigger stealing a beemer". They were profiling.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I read this news story yesterday, and what I didn’t see was an explanation as to why these undercover police we’re trying to swarm this dude and his pregnant wife and two-year-old child in a parking garage….

It wasn't mentioned in that article but not hard to figure out. First clue is dark skinned driver, 2nd late at night in a parkade, 3rd BMW = "nigger stealing a beemer". They were profiling.
I’ve skimmed through seven or eight different news stories now and this is the closest I can get to some explanation as to what was going on when this happened:

It was just after midnight on July 3, 2021 and the mild-mannered father (a 34yr old accountant) had been about to head home with his very pregnant wife and their toddler after celebrating Canada Day at Nathan Phillips Square when he panicked as two strangers rushed at their BMW in the deserted underground garage, banging on their car windows and demanding they stop.

He and wife Aaida Shaikh testified they feared they were about to be robbed and had no idea the man and woman were police officers because they were dressed in plainclothes and never identified themselves. When a van suddenly blocked their way, Zameer said he thought they were being boxed in by a criminal gang and with his wife hyperventilating in panic and his son crying, he needed to get his family away from danger — so he drove slightly forward, then reversed quickly out of his parking spot into the lane and accelerated forward and out toward the exit.

This is literally the closest explanation I can find as to why these plane clothes officers were trying to arrest this guy in the first place? It’s weird…
Wiki says Jeffrey Northrup (April 22, 1966[1] – July 2, 2021) was a Toronto police officer who was killed in the line of duty shortly after midnight on July 2, 2021, while responding to a robbery call in the parking garage below City Hall near Queen and Bay streets in Toronto.
Toronto police said Monday that when the service becomes aware of concerns raised by the judiciary, a review of officer “testimony, conduct, procedures, practices and training” is required under its governance.
Three officers who witnessed the incident testified Northrup was standing in the laneway of the garage with his hands outstretched when he was run over. But security footage showed Northrup was not standing in the laneway. Instead, an object believed to be his body appeared on the ground in the car’s path at one point.

At least the three witness officers statements are consistent with each other if not with the evidence.
Molloy (=da Judge) told jurors before they began deliberating that it was her opinion there was no evidence to fully support the Crown’s theory, but that the defence’s theory aligned with the video, the experts, and the testimony of Zameer and his wife.

She also instructed jurors to consider the possibility of collusion between the witness officers, noting all three had the same incorrect memory of what happened.

Defence lawyers alleged the officers lied on the stand.

Court also heard one of the officers punched Zameer in the face as he was handcuffed on the ground during arrest. The officer said he was trying to get Zameer to stand up and move and punched him for his own safety….’cuz plausibility, etc…”Sir, I know you’re handcuffed and on the ground, but I’m going to need to punch you in the face, for your own safety of course, while I try to get you up onto your feet, ‘cuz training and procedures.”

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I’ve skimmed through seven or eight different news stories now and this is the closest I can get to some explanation as to what was going on when this happened:

It was just after midnight on July 3, 2021 and the mild-mannered father (a 34yr old accountant) had been about to head home with his very pregnant wife and their toddler after celebrating Canada Day at Nathan Phillips Square when he panicked as two strangers rushed at their BMW in the deserted underground garage, banging on their car windows and demanding they stop.

He and wife Aaida Shaikh testified they feared they were about to be robbed and had no idea the man and woman were police officers because they were dressed in plainclothes and never identified themselves. When a van suddenly blocked their way, Zameer said he thought they were being boxed in by a criminal gang and with his wife hyperventilating in panic and his son crying, he needed to get his family away from danger — so he drove slightly forward, then reversed quickly out of his parking spot into the lane and accelerated forward and out toward the exit.

This is literally the closest explanation I can find as to why these plane clothes officers were trying to arrest this guy in the first place? It’s weird…
Wiki says Jeffrey Northrup (April 22, 1966[1] – July 2, 2021) was a Toronto police officer who was killed in the line of duty shortly after midnight on July 2, 2021, while responding to a robbery call in the parking garage below City Hall near Queen and Bay streets in Toronto.

Toronto police said Monday that when the service becomes aware of concerns raised by the judiciary, a review of officer “testimony, conduct, procedures, practices and training” is required under its governance.
Three officers who witnessed the incident testified Northrup was standing in the laneway of the garage with his hands outstretched when he was run over. But security footage showed Northrup was not standing in the laneway. Instead, an object believed to be his body appeared on the ground in the car’s path at one point.

At least the three witness officers statements are consistent with each other if not with the evidence.
Molloy (=da Judge) told jurors before they began deliberating that it was her opinion there was no evidence to fully support the Crown’s theory, but that the defence’s theory aligned with the video, the experts, and the testimony of Zameer and his wife.

She also instructed jurors to consider the possibility of collusion between the witness officers, noting all three had the same incorrect memory of what happened.

Defence lawyers alleged the officers lied on the stand.

Court also heard one of the officers punched Zameer in the face as he was handcuffed on the ground during arrest. The officer said he was trying to get Zameer to stand up and move and punched him for his own safety….’cuz plausibility, etc…”Sir, I know you’re handcuffed and on the ground, but I’m going to need to punch you in the face, for your own safety of course, while I try to get you up onto your feet, ‘cuz training and procedures.”
They profiled and it cost a life. Hard to be empathic for the ran over cop when they use the chicken shit excuse "for your and officer safety". It was vengeance.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They profiled and it cost a life. Hard to be empathic for the ran over cop when they use the chicken shit excuse "for your and officer safety". It was vengeance.
This dude (Umar Zameer) was put through the wringer…for years…& I’d be surprised if there isn’t a lawsuit against the city, the police department, the individual officers involved, etc…& being Canada if the accountant can break even it’ll be a win.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This dude (Umar Zameer) was put through the wringer…for years…& I’d be surprised if there isn’t a lawsuit against the city, the police department, the individual officers involved, etc…& being Canada if the accountant can break even it’ll be a win.
I know I would be hiring the best lawyer around.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
After having defending himself against this malicious prosecution for years to get to this point, I hope the best lawyer around works on contingency.
They will and do. There is currently a class action for $250M against TO PD for profiling and several other recent suits for the same as well.

Problematic and it cost them a life of one of their own.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Criminal-defence lawyers said Monday the prosecution of Mr. Zameer never should have made it to trial, and an independent prosecutor should have been asked to oversee the prosecution instead of local prosecutors overseen by the Ontario government.

“There is no evidence of any motive for Mr. Zameer to want to kill a police officer, or to kill anyone, for that matter,” wrote then-Ontario Superior Court Justice Jill Copeland in September, 2021. (She has since been promoted to the Ontario Court of Appeal.) She also questioned whether he even knew Det. Constable Northrup was an officer.

Police announced that Mr. Zameer had deliberately run over Det. Constable Northrup, but police did not make public that Mr. Zameer told police when he was arrested that he didn’t know Det. Constable Northrup was an officer, and that he had not seen the officer when he ran him over. Moreover, police did not say Mr. Zameer, then a 31-year-old recent immigrant, was with his wife, who was eight months pregnant, and their two-year-old son, having just celebrated their first Canada Day.

Ah-Hah!! Here’s the first I’ve actually found as to why the police tried to arrest this man in the first place:

Police approached his car because a man had been stabbed and the purported suspect was a brown-skinned man. Mr. Zameer has brown skin.

“A certain narrative was created at a time when the police were in control of all of the information – an unfortunate narrative that put Mr. Zameer in the position of a deliberate, intentional killer,” lawyer Frank Addario, who was not involved in the case, said in an interview.

Alison Craig, a criminal-defence lawyer, said it seemed “like it was obvious to everybody that what the officers said happened did not happen. And so why the prosecution was allowed to continue I do not understand.”
So this accountant was 31 years old when this happened, and 34 years old when his innocence was finally declared?

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Criminal-defence lawyers said Monday the prosecution of Mr. Zameer never should have made it to trial, and an independent prosecutor should have been asked to oversee the prosecution instead of local prosecutors overseen by the Ontario government.

“There is no evidence of any motive for Mr. Zameer to want to kill a police officer, or to kill anyone, for that matter,” wrote then-Ontario Superior Court Justice Jill Copeland in September, 2021. (She has since been promoted to the Ontario Court of Appeal.) She also questioned whether he even knew Det. Constable Northrup was an officer.

Police announced that Mr. Zameer had deliberately run over Det. Constable Northrup, but police did not make public that Mr. Zameer told police when he was arrested that he didn’t know Det. Constable Northrup was an officer, and that he had not seen the officer when he ran him over. Moreover, police did not say Mr. Zameer, then a 31-year-old recent immigrant, was with his wife, who was eight months pregnant, and their two-year-old son, having just celebrated their first Canada Day.

Ah-Hah!! Here’s the first I’ve actually found as to why the police tried to arrest this man in the first place:

Police approached his car because a man had been stabbed and the purported suspect was a brown-skinned man. Mr. Zameer has brown skin.

“A certain narrative was created at a time when the police were in control of all of the information – an unfortunate narrative that put Mr. Zameer in the position of a deliberate, intentional killer,” lawyer Frank Addario, who was not involved in the case, said in an interview.

Alison Craig, a criminal-defence lawyer, said it seemed “like it was obvious to everybody that what the officers said happened did not happen. And so why the prosecution was allowed to continue I do not understand.”
So this accountant was 31 years old when this happened, and 34 years old when his innocence was finally declared?
I knew it was profiling. What else would it have been?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Toronto’s chief of police, Myron Demkiw, deflected criticism Tuesday regarding a controversial comment he made outside the Superior Courthouse Sunday.

About an hour after a jury found Umar Zameer not guilty of first-degree murder and the lesser charges he was facing in relation to the death of plainclothes officer Jeffrey Northrup, Demkiw told reporters: “I share the feelings of our members. We were hoping for a different outcome.” (???)

Well, that explains what happened then I guess?