Bible Logic

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Anyway, yes I think logic is not omitted in the Bible, to a point. The entire basis of the Bible, though, hinges on an existence that is unknowable, mostly mysterious, and hidden. Kind of like the tooth fairy. THAT is why the logic is limited.

LG, you are a superstar when it comes to maintaining the topic.

After silencing the Sadducees (Matthew 22:34), Jesus engaged the Pharisees, another politico-religious Jewish sect.

Jesus posed this logical dilemma: "What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?' 'The Son of David,' they replied. He said to them, 'How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says, 'The LORD said to my Lord: 'Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.' 'If then David calls him, 'Lord,' how can he be his son?" (Matthew 22:42-45 NIV)

Taking into account the audience, how would you solve this logical puzzle?
I have no idea where to start. Always thought that Joseph was Jesus' dad, or the magician was.

There are better options. Like, the story's not true, it's a didactic myth, or it was cribbed from older traditions, which were similarly not true, or it's about an extensive but still local flood that would have appeared to the parochial people of the time as if *their* whole world was flooded. All three of those could be true, and geology can even point to some events that might be the origin of such a folk memory, like the opening of the Bosporus and the Mediterranean flooding in to the Black Sea, or the opening of the Bab el Mandeb and the Indian Ocean flooding into the Red Sea. What's certainly not true is that there was a global flood that drowned the whole planet at any time during the existence of humans on it, there would be clear and unmistakeable evidence of it all over the world. Unless you're going to invoke the miraculous of course, in which case evidence becomes irrelevant, you can just claim god cleaned up after it so as not to leave any evidence.
Ahhhh, there's one more "possibility", that this magician got rid of gravity but just for water (nothing else) and drained a little from the oceans to kinda lay a 20' thick, clinging, blanket of water over everything. :D

To save dogs, do you save all dogs or just the wolves which all dogs evolved from?
Species, Pete, think species, not sub-species.

Loading them as babies is more logical that loading full grown ones. If you add in the manna from the 40 years at the start of the exodus the that same form of food would have been made available. With God that would be needlessly repeating himself, we are supposed to be able to make the connections rather than the same old, same old toss out the Bible as an error filled book.

If there are 14 different relationships with God available and 7 are good and 7 are bad, is it logical that if that information is not available to you that you cannot make a logical decision on who appears to be long to which group.

All God is required to do is tell us about things He is going to do before He does it, allowances are made for those that fail to understand the message. Smoothing out the bumps is not an option.

Isa:42:9:
Behold,
the former things are come to pass,
and new things do I declare:
before they spring forth I tell you of them.

Jer:4:28:
For this shall the earth mourn,
and the heavens above be black:
because I have spoken it,
I have purposed it,
and will not repent,
neither will I turn back from it.
lmao Ah, sorry, but like I said, you can sure invent funny stuff. The ark could not have held the food for two each of around 2 million species, let alone the critters themselves, midget sized or otherwise. Not only that but just the animal species themselves would have shed enough dung to keep those 8 people shoveling 24/7 till the boat found ground.

Anyway, logic? Ok, I got one , "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you." Kind of a twist on the "eye for an eye" thing.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"I have no idea where to start. Always thought that Joseph was Jesus' dad, or the magician was."

Let's start with the topic and the audience, LG. Why speak of Messiah's parentage to Pharisees?

Before Christ, Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles was Saul, a fire-breathing Pharisee. Here is how he described himself BC: "circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless." (Philippians 3:5-6 NIV)

Pharisees prided themselves in their Hebrew inheritance, imagining that this afforded them special righteousness as physical descendants of the patriarchs, including David. Messiah's lineage was therefore a very important personal matter to them.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
In the three synoptic gospels, Jesus uses logical reasoning to instruct the Sadducees, a first century politico-religious sect of Judaism. In Matthew 22:31-32, Mark 12:26-27 and Luke 20:37-38, Jesus quotes the writings of Moses in discussing the matter of life after death: “Thenhe said, “I am the God of your father(s), the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac andthe God of Jacob.”(Exodus 3:6 NIV)

Jesus' argument regarding life after death:

Abraham, Isaac and Jacob lived and died (Genesis)
God relates to them in the present tense in Exodus 3:6
Personal relationships can only occur between living persons
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are alive during Moses' earthly lifetime
There is life after death

Where else in the Bible can logical reasoning be found?

Just a note: The reason Jesus was talking about life-after-death with Sadducees was because Sadducees believed there was no life after death. They believed this is it, and that the purpose of following God's Laws was to improve existence in the here-and-now.

Pharasees were neutral on the concept of life after death. Their answer was something along the lines of, "We don't know", but Sadducees were hard-core about believing this life in the here-and-now is all you get.

Personally, if it had been me debating with Sadducees, I would have simply asked them to explain the story of Elijah, as in, how was he able to raise the dead, and why was he whisked to heaven?

I bet the Sadducees would have said that the raising of the dead was an alegory for the reconstitution of Israel, and that the elevation to heavan before he died was specifically so he *wouldn't* pass into nothingness upon mortal death, both of which are valid arguments, which might be why Jesus didn't take the path I would have.

Most likely there was a flood of some type back then, but it was a local flood, not global.

Oh yeah, there's plenty of evidence for a local flood, in the Mesopotamia.

Archeologists find this odd, thick sand layer splitting up their archeological digs, and one of the interesting things they find are clues from what look like counting systems where calendars got clocked at a higher rate (something like months instead of years for each cycle) in the layers below the sand-interuption, such that if a man was 60 years old by the annual system, he'd be 720 by the monthly system, which is why fellows prior to the flood had such "long" lifespans.

To count a life-span in months instead of years might seem silly, but the mortality rate was so high back then, especially among kids (half died before the age of eighteen) that to count it in months just meant being more precise, plus it implies they valued every month they managed to get through.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There's no conceivable leap of logic that'd enable you to interpret that verse as justifying counting by powers of ten.
Yet when you do all of the 'days' fit quite well into the Ge:1 version of the beginning. If 4BYA was the end of day 1 then 40BYA was the beginning of the process that resulted in things existing as they did at the 4B year mark. That still leaves the explosion at 14BYA mark there for the creation of the heaven. If our sun began to cast light 4BYA what was happening for the previous 10B years? Is our sun a first generation heavenly body or is it 2nd generation? Having it take 3.6B years just to go from the first day/night until water could be found in liquid and vapor form compared to the length of time for cattle to be reality, maybe 400,000 years for todays living animals.

You've just come up with an after the fact rationalization to make the numbers come out close to what modern science says they are.
But look how easy it was to do that, check out any other version and they introduce all sorts of magical math or language changes to make their version look halfway plausible, and it falls well short of that if you examine it closely.

If the powers of ten argument hadn't worked you'd just have come up with something else, same as theologians did when science began to show the earth could not possibly be as young as the Bible seemed to suggest.
How about the additions I have made to that since we last covered it. If there are 3 levels to 'heaven' then there is also '3 timezones'.
Using some info from Ge:1 we are told the first heaven is from the surface of the earth or liquid water and it extends upward to the height of the clouds of today. Back then it was the height birds could fly. Time in that zone was only established by the end of the 4th day (4,000,000 years ago) and at that time the rotational speed of the earth around itself and the relationship with the moon and sun created time as we know it today in out 24hour/day world. Time measure in the 2nd heaven is the Moon and past that and in that zone 1 day is considered to be 1,000 years of the time is the 1st zone. Adam was told by God he would die the same day he sinned, Adam died at 930 years so that was 70 years short of 1 day. Earth was under the law given in Re:21 because that is the law Angels have always been under. The 10 Commandments was when that law changed and it required the extermination of every 6 fingered giant around. That was the first task after the 40 years in the desert. That same period of telling time comes back for the 1,000 year reign and it is said to be equal to 1 day with God. Since the new earth includes the area the 2nd heaven covers we will explore this current universe during eternity which start on the 3rd day. The 2nd day is the Great White Throne and that takes place in the 3rd heaven, where 1 day will be 10,000 of our years.
Now take that data and apply it to Zec:14 and the yearly feasts that the Nations attend. Once the expansion is in progress the feast of the tabernacle would not be every 360 days but once every 360,000 years and last for 1/10 of that time. Angels that stay in the 3rd heaven would meet once every 36M years.

That's where the original argument that the days of creation did not really mean literal 24 hour days, but meant instead some unspecified longer period, came from.
The Bible could also be used to tell us how long we have before the sun does what the verse below describes in this world without god it works out to be about 3.6B years from today, give or take a few hours lol.

Isa:51:6:
Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
and look upon the earth beneath:
for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke,
and the earth shall wax old like a garment,
and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner:
but my salvation shall be for ever,
and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Yes, you've certainly demonstrated that beyond any doubt, but the chances that you're right are as close to zero as makes no practical difference.
You base that on the false assumption that if there was some sort of 'logical way to understand the bible' you would have already figured it out yourself. Reading the preface of the 1611KJV leaves you with the impression that the translators who would have lived the work 24/7 for the whole time were quite impressed with the Scriptures and their 'tip' is there are no shortcuts better than just reading it all. (in our case all the end time prophecies is the core of the discussions)

What you're really doing is seeing patterns that aren't real, finding significance in coincidences, and retrofitting data to suit what you long ago decided must be true.
My 'pattern' follows the same path every time, here are two examples.

M't:26:55:
In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes,
Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me?
I sat daily with you teaching in the temple,
and ye laid no hold on me.
M't:26:56:
But all this was done,
that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.
Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Zec:13:7:
Awake,
O sword,
against my shepherd,
and against the man that is my fellow,
saith the LORD of hosts:
smite the shepherd,
and the sheep shall be scattered:
and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

The 'little ones' are the Gentile Nations and Acts:10 was when they were'created' and the day the 7th trump sounds is the day the judgment comes down on them.

M't:25:31:
When the Son of man shall come in his glory,
and all the holy angels with him,
then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
M't:25:32:
And before him shall be gathered all nations:
and he shall separate them one from another,
as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
M't:25:33:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand,
but the goats on the left.

That fits together whether you like it or not, so does this next one.

M't:2:16:
Then Herod,
when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men,
was exceeding wroth,
and sent forth,
and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem,
and in all the coasts thereof,
from two years old and under,
according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.
M't:2:17:
Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet,
saying,
M't:2:18:
In Rama was there a voice heard,
lamentation,
and weeping,
and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children,
and would not be comforted,
because they are not.

Jer:31:15:
Thus saith the LORD;
A voice was heard in Ramah,
lamentation,
and bitter weeping;
Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children,
because they were not.
Jer:31:16:
Thus saith the LORD;
Refrain thy voice from weeping,
and thine eyes from tears:
for thy work shall be rewarded,
saith the LORD;
and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.
Jer:31:17:
And there is hope in thine end,
saith the LORD,
that thy children shall come again to their own border.

Confirmation that far back that resurrection from the grave is part of the deal with God. What it also does is define that death is the land of the enemy rather than it being any/all Gentile Nations for the Jews. I'm not convinced they all hold that view. Evangelicans are of the correct path just as far so it isn't a unique flaw in people.

It's clear from modern neuroscience that those are very common errors in perception and reasoning the human mind is very good at making, it has evolved to preferentially make certain kinds of errors because they have survival value.
Sooner or later if 'reasonable explanations' can be used (like the snow not water argument) then how many such incidents does it take before the books stands out as having too much accurate information for it's time? Even Vegas changes the odds as new information becomes available. Never with the Bible though .....

Is that rustle in the grass an antelope or a big predator? Far safer to go with the false positive, behave as if it's a lion when it's not, than go with the false negative, assume it's an antelope when it's really a lion.
The only thing in danger of being eaten is your ego.

In the former case you miss lunch, in the latter you die.
If the Scriptures are supposed to make you a bit wiser about who God is and what is going on (if He exists) why can you not put together even some of the 'easier puzzles'? That's not an insult but you would rather argue against an obvious valid point (that allows me to be sane and have a belief in the words in the Bible) than just say something like 'ok, but what does that affect in the rset of the story'. If the story can even be continued does that rule out it being that way by original design?

An oversimplified example perhaps, but the fact remains, we are far more likely to see patterns that aren't there than to miss one that is, we are heavily biased in favour of finding patterns and that's what you're doing, finding patterns that aren't really there and forcing all the data you have to fit them.
And if the biased view came after seeing some patterns then what? ( a pattern such as 'day of the lord' phrase being meant to include all the references as being applied to one single event rather than 24 separate events over a long period of time) That alone would have been impossible given the era the books were written in

There are better options. Like, the story's not true, it's a didactic myth, or it was cribbed from older traditions, which were similarly not true, or it's about an extensive but still local flood that would have appeared to the parochial people of the time as if *their* whole world was flooded.
From the time of the greatest ice the oceans have risen over 400ft, since most civilizations live near water there should be all sorts of flood stories. The rain water in the Bible would have cause the oceans to rise a whole 5 ft, hardly worth noting. Look at the era before the flood, some 1200 yeas passed from when the garden was in bloom and the Dead Sea being the way it is now. If you take the resurrection of that body of water into a fresh water body of water (Eze:47) does that give us the 'weather norm' for a period in the past and evaporation of moisture is how that whole area changed to dust and then mud in a flood.
Why is the fate of the 'sons of God' (Ge:6) never part of the discussion. Immortal being would not be bothered by water at all, they were 'put away into the Pit', Enoch propheciesed about it and Mosed referenced it as an historical event.

Jude:1:14:
And Enoch also,
the seventh from Adam,
prophesied of these,
saying, Behold,
the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

De:33:2:
And he said,
The LORD came from Sinai,
and rose up from Seir unto them;
he shined forth from mount Paran,
and he came with ten thousands of saints:
from his right hand went a fiery law for them.

All three of those could be true, and geology can even point to some events that might be the origin of such a folk memory, like the opening of the Bosporus and the Mediterranean flooding in to the Black Sea, or the opening of the Bab el Mandeb and the Indian Ocean flooding into the Red Sea.
There is also another theory that is still different. If the way of keeping time is based on the 1,000 years/day thing then the times give for the flood has to be adjusted. a 360 day years would be 360,000 years. Prophesied about 100 years before the event, 40 days of rain is 40,000 years for the ice to form to a depth of 1500 cubits on the high hills and mountain tops, 150,000 yeas after that the tops of the mountains could be seen and a full year later (360,000 years) things were 'back to normal',

What's certainly not true is that there was a global flood that drowned the whole planet at any time during the existence of humans on it, there would be clear and unmistakeable evidence of it all over the world.
Didn't we enter the age of belief without proof about the time Thomas had that finger issue with the glorified body of Jesus?

Unless you're going to invoke the miraculous of course, in which case evidence becomes irrelevant, you can just claim god cleaned up after it so as not to leave any evidence.
Did a pretty through job right, except for the book, how could He have missed that big piece of physical evidense

"I have no idea where to start. Always thought that Joseph was Jesus' dad, or the magician was."

Let's start with the topic and the audience, LG. Why speak of Messiah's parentage to Pharisees?

Before Christ, Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles was Saul, a fire-breathing Pharisee. Here is how he described himself BC: "circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless." (Philippians 3:5-6 NIV)

Pharisees prided themselves in their Hebrew inheritance, imagining that this afforded them special righteousness as physical descendants of the patriarchs, including David. Messiah's lineage was therefore a very important personal matter to them.
Anywhere works, the Bible is only so big so the options of what it means does have a limit.

That is why the story about the rich man and the beggar Lazarus has the rich man representing (doubting) Jews (about who Jesus was) The conversion of Saul was to show how easily a conversion is when directed by God. Can you imagine Saul getting the copy of the Gospel that has the lord's prayer in it and when Sal was reading it he was whispering the actual words and thet is how he was the one 'chosen'. That would seem to hold some logic compared to him being the end result of the roll of a dice.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yet when you do all of the 'days' fit quite well into the Ge:1 version of the beginning. If 4BYA was the end of day 1 then 40BYA was the beginning of the process that resulted in things existing as they did at the 4B year mark. That still leaves the explosion at 14BYA mark there for the creation of the heaven. If our sun began to cast light 4BYA what was happening for the previous 10B years? Is our sun a first generation heavenly body or is it 2nd generation? Having it take 3.6B years just to go from the first day/night until water could be found in liquid and vapor form compared to the length of time for cattle to be reality, maybe 400,000 years for todays living animals.

In otherwords, the "days" (I prefer to translate is as "phases") of Creation map out pretty good if you put them on a logarythmic scale.

Scientists use logarythmic scales to measure all kinds of observations all the time, because it works, so there's nothing earth-shattering nor heretical about seeing the days/phases of Creation that way.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Did a pretty through job right, except for the book, how could He have missed that big piece of physical evidense
And what makes the stories of the bible any more valid than all the the other folk stories from all over the world? You have to make some giant leaps of faith to think the Jewish folk tales are any more divinely inspired. Other than the Jews saying theirs are more valid in their book, what other proof do you have? Your belief in the origins of the bible is all you have - belief. What makes you think you are smarter than everybody else? Your claims can only come across as the ramblings of a narcissist.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
God himself makes it pretty clear near the end of the Book of Job that he's not obliged to explain anything at all to us.
I think that means 'everything'. Same reason the 4 Gospels are as short as they are, we don't need all of the information about the Kingdom of God to know how the introduction is going to be like.

Re:10:7:
But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel,
when he shall begin to sound,
the mystery of God should be finished,
as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Joh:21:25:
And there are also many other things which Jesus did,
the which,
if they should be written every one,
I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.
Amen.

1Th:5:1-9:
But of the times and the seasons,
brethren,
ye have no need that I write unto you.
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
But ye,
brethren,
are not in darkness,
that that day should overtake you as a thief.
Ye are all the children of light,
and the children of the day:
we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
Therefore let us not sleep,
as do others;
but let us watch and be sober.
For they that sleep sleep in the night;
and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
But let us, who are of the day,
be sober,
putting on the breastplate of faith and love;
and for an helmet,
the hope of salvation.
For God hath not appointed us to wrath,
but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Perhaps the only info you need to 'understand' is there will be a deception before the real return and repenting or not repenting is an issue that is quite important in those last few years.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
And what makes the stories of the bible any more valid than all the the other folk stories from all over the world?

Hmm... well... let's start from the beginning. I mean right from the first page of the Bible.

Does it say the world is riding on the back of a turtle?

Does it say an otter swam to the bottom of a cosmic ocean, scooped up a paw-full of mud, took it to the surface, and formed it into the earth?

Does it say the world was born out of the womb of a woman wearing a skirt of writhing snakes, who got impregnated by a ball of feathers, and who gave birth to one god for each feather when she was decapitated in her sleep while still pregnant, such that the gods born thereof went around hacking off each other's heads to form one planet per head?

No, it just says that it started as a formless void over the deep, with winds. Sounds like a gas nebula in the middle of cold, dark space, but it's starting to spin, to make winds.

Next it says, "God said, let there be light, and there was light". You mean like... the gas in the center of the nebula got concentrated enough to generate the gravitational pressure necessary to trigger nuclear fussion.

Next: "God separated the light from the darkness"... proto-earth was spinning, so half the time it was dark.

Then: "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters... i.e., the planet had a thick atmosphere of water, CO2, methane, amonia, etc., and it cooled enough to precipitate most of the water into oceans, but still leave clouds.

Next: "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"... granite crystalized out of the magma, and floated to the surface to ride on top of the basalt base of the crust, because granite is less dense than basalt, thus forming the continents.

Next: "Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it"... Yup, according to the fossil record, plants were the first life forms to be able to survive on land.

Next: "God made the two great lights - the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night - and the stars"... that one's a bit problematic, and might be out of sequence, unless there was still so much water on the planet at the time that the sky was overcast most of the time, in which case it's just saying the sky cleared up enough for the sun and moon and stars to be visible from the surface.

Next: "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures"... Yup, we know all life started in the oceans.

Then: "let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky"... might be refering to those giant dragonflies that used to buzz around in the early paleozoic swamps".

Then: "God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind"... in otherwords, the creatures in the oceans started getting big, and in many cases monstrously ugly, like those giant paleozoic predatory marine-scorpions. Interesting that it says birds came before mammals, because technically, birds are dinosaurs.

Then: "Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind"... as in, mammals, including herbivors, preditors, and little insectivors like shrews, were next.

Finally: "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness"... in other words, humans were the final addition to the show, and they're sentient.

Half-glass-emptiers like to slag Genesis over trivia, like, "How long is a day?"

But frankly, you should be amazed at how the more science learns about the beginning of the universe, the formation of solar systems and planets, and the evolution of life on earth, the more we see how it parallels the Genesis description of creation.

Were Christians amazed or faith-shaken when scientists announced the Big Bang theory?

Nope. They felt like they basically knew that already.

Was their faith shaken to learn that animals evolved in sequence, and that we're just the latest addition?

No. Again, people who'd read Genesis already had a basic sense for the concept. The debate was not whether or not life started simple and came from the seas and then progressed in stages, but what was the *mechanism* of that progression.

The parallels between Genesis and the modern discoveries by the sciences of cosmology, astronomy, geology, and paleontology ought to have skeptics asking...

... "How did the author(s) of Genesis get it so *right*, given the level of scientific knowlege available when Genesis was written"?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
... "How did the author(s) of Genesis get it so *right*, given the level of scientific knowlege available when Genesis was written"?
They got it from the Sumerians, Egyptians and the Hindu Vedas. Where did they get it from? Moses was a high priest of the Egyptian spiritual schools; he had to be if he was raised by the Pharaoh as a son. The Vedas, the writings of Confucius, the Tao, the writings of the Sumerians, etc, predate the OT.
Where did the Mayans, Olmec, Toltec and the rest get their scientific knowledge from?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
They got it from the Sumerians, Egyptians and the Hindu Vedas. Where did they get it from? Moses was a high priest of the Egyptian spiritual schools; he had to be if he was raised by the Pharaoh as a son.

Yeah... that became evident when they figured out how to read ancient Egyptian scholarly texts (the stuff that survived the burning of the Library of Alexandria) after discovery of the Rosetta Stone, when modern scholars learned how much of what got incorporated into Leviticus and Deuteronomy seemed to be lifted from earlier Egyptian rules and teachings.

Moses would have been privey to those texts.

I think he might have been annoyed that he couldn't become the next Pharoah because he was adopted, so he set out to prove he was perfectly capable of forging and ruling a great nation thank-you-very-much.

The Vedas, the writings of Confucius, the Tao, the writings of the Sumerians, etc, predate the OT.
Where did the Mayans, Olmec, Toltec and the rest get their scientific knowledge from?
I don't know... where?

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
In otherwords, the "days" (I prefer to translate is as "phases") of Creation map out pretty good if you put them on a logarythmic scale.

Scientists use logarythmic scales to measure all kinds of observations all the time, because it works, so there's nothing earth-shattering nor heretical about seeing the days/phases of Creation that way.
Close enough that 'accidental' isn't the best 'logical conclusion'.
This universe is said to be expanding forever so the matter will still be there but because that area is so vast it cannot gather together in big enough clusters to create light.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't know... where?
I wasn't there. The point is that the Sumerians had it long before the Hebrews, who only wrote the OT while in captivity in Babylon. One question that nobody has been able to answer is: How did Abraham, a Sumerian, become a Jew by cutting off his foreskin? The entire Bible is a Readers Digest version of much older texts with a Jewish twist. There is nothing original in any of it.

All people have, who believe in the Bible, is belief, and belief is holding to a rock, while faith is learning how to swim in the stream of life. If you want to know the truth, go to the source. What that source is, is open to one's particular view of reality. The god of the bible is no more relevant than any other. As my signature says, "trying to get spiritual nourishment from a 2000 year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long." The secrets of life can only be found in life itself. Look around. Go out into the wilderness like Jesus supposedly did, and communicate directly with your creator. There is no way anyone can do that in the insanity of modern mindless consumer culture.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Look a little more closely, Genesis gets the sequence of creation of various type of creatures quite wrong.
Genesis divides creation into 4 classes, plants, things with wings, things that live in/under the water and things that live on the dry land.

If forests existed at the end of day 3 then so did the creepy crawly things that ive in any forest. They were not mentioned until the very last because they are the least important life-form created. Stars are mentioned last in the day time was created even though the heavenly starts existed long before the sun was shedding light, they are the least important to the tale that is inside the Bible. The stars play a greater role in the new earth verses. Whales are another example of a species that was mentioned last because it was the least important to the 3 lines life that were created separately from one another. The forests and seas both progressed in development from when they were said to start but the both were only complete by the end of the 5th day.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Genesis divides creation into 4 classes, plants, things with wings, things that live in/under the water and things that live on the dry land.

If forests existed at the end of day 3 then so did the creepy crawly things that ive in any forest. They were not mentioned until the very last because they are the least important life-form created. Stars are mentioned last in the day time was created even though the heavenly starts existed long before the sun was shedding light, they are the least important to the tale that is inside the Bible. The stars play a greater role in the new earth verses. Whales are another example of a species that was mentioned last because it was the least important to the 3 lines life that were created separately from one another. The forests and seas both progressed in development from when they were said to start but the both were only complete by the end of the 5th day.
Your knowledge of biology is staggeringly vacant. Whales were once land mammals before they migrated to the sea. Everything that lives on the Earth is as important to the overall well being of all living things as the large mammals, including humans. Nothing grows and lives without the cycle of life that depends on the least (smallest of creatures) to break down the minerals and decaying genetic material, so that it can support the life of ever greater life forms. Humans do not live in a vacuum. Our existence is dependent on all the others. The biosphere is the source of our life, not some god.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You forgot science also teaches that they were cold bloodied and had a spine the moved in a different direction, that doesn't mean that is a proven theory.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You forgot science also teaches that they were cold bloodied and had a spine the moved in a different direction, that doesn't mean that is a proven theory.
Whales are mammals so they are not cold blooded. Where did you ever get that idea, from some ancient book?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
One question that nobody has been able to answer is: How did Abraham, a Sumerian, become a Jew by cutting off his foreskin?

According to an Athenian historian around 700 BC (can't remember his name) circumcision was a very old custom practiced by Egyptians and other people in the middle-east and Mesopotamia, and he was against it. He said they prefered "cleanliness to comeliness". Greeks thought that the forskin was vital to good looks in the gym (they worked out naked), and guys with short foreskins would use a clip to pull the skin forward to cover the glans, and what's interesting about his comment is that he implies it was common knowlege that those societies practicing it would say they did it for the sake of "cleanliness"... maybe something along the lines of of how they'd shave their heads to keep down the lice and would wear wigs.

It's possible Abraham didn't actually circumcise... that it was written in by the author(s) of the pentatuech as reverse-engineered history in order to justify their practice of circumcision as being a "Jewish" thing, because Egyptians were practicing circumcision around the time when Moses left, and I think he could have just taken it as aspect of Egyptian culture he agreed with and made it a religous rule.

Maybe that was Moses's insight... to take a bunch of accumulated knowlege known only to scholars and which it was optional to practice (like not eating pork else you get tricanosis... do so at your own risk), and make it into a religion, in order to compel the illiterate masses to do what was good for them under threat of punishment by a God.

The entire Bible is a Readers Digest version of much older texts with a Jewish twist. There is nothing original in any of it.
There's stuff throughout Genesis indicating that. The book of Genesis itself is obviously, to scholars, a "Reader's Digesting" of two earlier stories, and the Mesopotamians had a flood story about a guy who builds a big boat to escape that flood, etc. etc.

... The secrets of life can only be found in life itself. Look around. Go out into the wilderness like Jesus supposedly did, and communicate directly with your creator. There is no way anyone can do that in the insanity of modern mindless consumer culture.
I hear ya.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Whales are mammals so they are not cold blooded. Where did you ever get that idea, from some ancient book?
(in part)
Whales, like all mammals, evolved from reptiles, amphibians, and fish. Thus, over hundreds of millions they left the sea, grew legs, grew fur, and evolved lungs. Then they returned to the sea, lost their legs and fur, but kept their lungs.
Whale Evolution

Not that they have it right.