Better Internet Browser

SumOfAllFears

Jun 9, 2002
Hey there everyone.

I'm new to this area, but I found a really nice browser to use as an alternative to Internet Explorer or Netscape.

As you may know, Internet Explorer, past and present versions, have security holes all over it. Not to mention the slow loading speeds of Netscape.

A good browser to check out is "Opera". I use 6.0 myself and it supports most of the features of Internet Explorer, like cascade style sheets and i think dhtml. Also includes Java.

Another cool feature is the "Block popups". This completely disallows popup windows spawned from web pages and makes browsing MUCH easier :)

Check it out at http://www.opera.com and tell me how you like it.

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
I've been using Opera 6 since it was first released. I got reviews on it and well I am testing opera 7 beta now. I wonder if I was the reason why the decided to release a public beta or not.

I emailed one of them guys at Opera and they said they weren't going public and whammo you can now download Opera 7 b1.1. There is the download manager bug where you can't see the progress of the download, but I notifiied them about it.

Remember serial numbers for Opera 6 don't work on 7 so you have to purchase an upgrade.

Watch for a review of Opera 7.......

blood_x

Nov 23, 2004
I know very cool and simple web browser WebScraper www.webscraper.tk ,but it's only 0.1 and price 10.00$ :(

Agreed, Opera is pretty good. I stumbled across it because Netscape for Linux sucks and I was looking for a better browser for my Linux laptop. I've been using Opera for about 3 months now. Ocassionally it fails to execute some javascript properly, but if it's that important I can just fire up my ugly clunky Netscape to run it.

I recommend it - tabs, skinnable, it's nice :)

blood_x said:
WebScraper is better! :D

From the PC World site:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,5089,00.asp
Grab all the multimedia files you can from specified sites with this Web scouring utility. It connects to the sites you designate, and then displays a list of links in one window and a list of multimedia files in the other window. You can select the files that interest you and WebScraper grabs them in batch mode later.

So, is Web Scraper a browser, or a web scraping utility? I can't check it out because I run Linux and since the Web Scraper download doesn't give me a chance to select my OS, I'm assuming it's for Windows only.

blood_x

Nov 23, 2004
WebScraper (www.webscraper.tk) is web browser.
If you want to use it you must have win 2000, win 98, win me or win xp.

Judland

Electoral Member
Yup, Firefox is a lighter version of Mozilla. Mozilla has a web browser, e-mail client, news reader, IRC chat client, and HTML editor "built in" while Firefox is just the web browser.

Firefox, Thunderbird (e-mail client), and Sunbird (a new calendar application under development) make up a new application suite from Mozilla.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Better Internet Brows

IE flaw lets intruders into Google Desktop

A teaser:

A security researcher in Israel has found a way to steal information from unwitting users of Google's desktop search tool by exploiting an unpatched flaw in Microsoft's ubiquitous Internet Explorer.

There is a bug in the way the Web browser processes CSS rules, Matan Gillon wrote in a description of his hack posted on Wednesday. CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, is a method for setting common styles across multiple Web pages. The Web design technique is widely used on many sites across the Internet.

"This design flaw in IE allows an attacker to retrieve private user data or execute operations on the user's behalf on remote domains," Gillon wrote in his description of the attack method. He crafted a Web page that — when viewed in IE on a computer with Google Desktop installed — uses the search tool and returns results for the query "password [/teaser]

Funny Microsoft being such a large corperation with unlimited resources can have a browser with cionstant security flaws.

Thank the Internet Gods I use KDE's "Konqueror" and "Mozilla' Firefox".

Nov 26, 2005
I like explorer and see no reason to switch. I tried all the others and none were better then explorer.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Microsoft issues critical fix for IE

A teaser:

For Internet Explorer users, the wait is over.

Microsoft used its monthly security update Tuesday to patch a widely publicized "critical" security hole in its Web browser, which has been targeted by publicly available exploit code in recent weeks. The software giant also patched several other outstanding IE issues, and an "important" flaw in the Windows kernel.

In recent weeks, security experts had speculated that Microsoft might release an early patch for Internet Explorer, after the software giant acknowledged reports that exploit code was circulating for certain flaws. But an out-of-cycle release never came to pass. [/end teaser]

I see the same old same old with microsoft. Funny with so much money and resources they have so many problems.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Microsoft Drops Support for Mac IE

A teaser:

Microsoft has announced it will officially end support for the Mac version of the Internet Get Linux or Windows Managed Hosting Services with Industry Leading Fanatical Support. Explorer (IE) browser at the end of the year.

The move means that Microsoft will not issue any new security Free Trial: Eliminate IM compliance and security threats with policy and enforcement. updates or patches for the software View Demo: IBM Workplace Services Express. Improves collaboration. Increases productivity. and will likely send the relatively small number of Mac IE users to alternatives, such as Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) Latest News about Apple own Safari, or the open-source browsers Mozilla Latest News about Mozilla Foundation Firefox and Opera, when the support ends on Dec. 31. Microsoft will also stop offering downloads of the software at the end of January.

After embracing the Apple platform with its Mac-friendly browser version, Microsoft has been moving away from the market since mid-2003, when it announced it would stop releasing new versions of the software and would phase out all support. [/teaser]

I hear Safari is better than IE for Mac users, is that true?