Bell customers, employees flood CBC about high-pressure sales

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Bell Canada customers and employees from coast to coast are speaking out in the wake of a Go Public investigation into customer upselling at Canada's biggest telecom.

"Enough is enough," said Shaelene McInnis of Oshawa, Ont., who discovered that Bell was charging her aging in-laws for internet service, unbeknownst to them.

"They've never even turned on a computer!" McInnis said. "They have absolutely no need for internet services."

When she called to find out why the Bell bill was so high, she learned that a customer service representative had signed them up for Fibe TV, which is delivered through a network enhanced by fibre optic and automatically includes a fee for internet service.

She threatened to cancel all Bell services if the customer service rep wouldn't lower the bill.

"When he was trying to avoid taking it off the bill, I said to him, 'How many other senior citizens are you doing this to? How many people are you charging when they don't need internet service at all?'"

McInnis is one of dozens of unhappy Bell customers who emailed Go Public after reading a story earlier this week about Andrea Rizzo, a Bell call centre employee in Scarborough, Ont., who said she is under intense pressure to make a sale on every call.

One Bell customer wrote to say she felt misled.

"After fulfilling a two-year [cellphone] contract, I was told by a rep on the phone that because I was a valued customer, my phone would be upgraded for free," writes one Bell customer. It wasn't, she said, and her bill skyrocketed. "I fell hook, line and sinker."

A flood of Bell employees, past and present, are speaking out, too.

"I went on stress leave and returned to find things even worse when I came back," wrote a former manager who said "high-pressure sales tactics" and "employee mistreatment" were common.

Toronto labour lawyer Lior Samfiru says the allegations being made by Bell employees are troubling.

"If it's true that no matter who you're talking to, you have to upsell them on x, y and z, that's wrong," said Samfiru. "They should give more discretion to their salespeople to identify appropriate situations to upsell, and certainly not to penalize people for not upselling to someone who shouldn't be sold to."

Bell did not address customer complaints CBC has received.

Bell customers, employees flood CBC with complaints about high-pressure sales - Business - CBC News

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When she called to find out why the Bell bill was so high, she learned that a customer service representative had signed them up for Fibe TV, which is delivered through a network enhanced by fibre optic and automatically includes a fee for internet service.

So, someone is upset because their parents get a better TV service?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I pity mobile users outside of SK.

You are being robbed blind.
Naah! just a lot of stupid people out there, they get suckered in for upgrades, and a nice sales pitch.
I have had the same plan for five years, since I had purchased my own phones outright, the plan is a monthly rate and stays the same unless I change plans.
Which would be stupid since I pay $101.70 a month tax included for two phones with unlimited calls, messaging across Canada and 2 gigs of data a month which I never use, since there are WiFi all over.
The plan was grandfathered when Bell bought Northern telephone mobile three years ago.
I got a call only once to upgrade once and the lady calling me obviously hadn't looked at my contract, so I asked her to do so.
When she did she agreed with me that I should keep buying my own phones myself to stay on that plan, and I was never called again for that!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
They signed up for fibe tv.

It's internet based.
And is that internet ever fast on fiber optic cable.
I was at my daughter's place in Mississauga a couple of months ago, when they hooked it up.
Before they di, I checked the internet speed with Rogers and after with Bell......five times faster!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup. I've had non coax TV for at least 15 years and the option for Internet is an extra.

And is that internet ever fast on fiber optic cable.
I was at my daughter's place in Mississauga a couple of months ago, when they hooked it up.
Before they di, I checked the internet speed with Rogers and after with Bell......five times faster!!
1000MBPS is nice.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Naah! just a lot of stupid people out there, they get suckered in for upgrades, and a nice sales pitch.
I have had the same plan for five years, since I had purchased my own phones outright, the plan is a monthly rate and stays the same unless I change plans.
Which would be stupid since I pay $101.70 a month tax included for two phones with unlimited calls, messaging across Canada and 2 gigs of data a month which I never use, since there are WiFi all over.
The plan was grandfathered when Bell bought Northern telephone mobile three years ago.
I got a call only once to upgrade once and the lady calling me obviously hadn't looked at my contract, so I asked her to do so.
When she did she agreed with me that I should keep buying my own phones myself to stay on that plan, and I was never called again for that!

That is still a fair chunk higher but I agree it's a decent price compared to what I've seen.

Sask plans are so cheap there is a black market for them.

Voice and data plans

Walker offers any Canadian a Koodo or Fido cellular deal with unlimited Canada-wide calling, texting and a big 5 GB data package for just $48 a month. The cost of those plans is $90 to $95 a month in most provinces.

However, both companies charge only $48 for the same deal in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, where there's more competition among cellular providers.

Walker admits what industry experts have long suspected — that dealers like him switch over people's phone plans in other provinces to Saskatchewan or Manitoba so they can access the cheaper rates.

He charges a one-time fee of $100 to do the deed.

Black market dealers reveal secret to super cheap cellphone plans - Business - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
So, someone is upset because their parents get a better TV service?
Is this what you are referring to......?

Enough is enough," said Shaelene McInnis of Oshawa, Ont., who discovered that Bell was charging her aging in-laws for internet service, unbeknownst to them.

"They've never even turned on a computer!" McInnis said. "They have absolutely no need for internet services."