Beef Recipes

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Celery root is not the root of the celery we usually slice up into soups or salads. Celery root is kind of like a turnip. It is a different kind of celery. The stocks can be tough and bitter.

You captured a great picture but it doesn't sell with all the "greenery". The dirt is still on it and it doesn't look like anything I would ever want to buy. I don't even like to touch them.
Really good Baron of Beef on this week for a great price. We had one for dinner tonight. Very tender meat. 11 of us sat down to dinner and everyone loved it. (dinner by hubby tonight and it was even ready when I got home from work).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If ya don't know what it is or how to use it, why would you buy it???

lol... I do that all the time! We try to make sure we try something new from the stores about once a week. How else do you ever learn how to cook with new things? Once i get home I research it, find out what to do with it, etc., and then whip up something. It hasn't failed us too many times thank goodness... we've gotten some pretty yummy meals out of my adventures. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You captured a great picture but it doesn't sell with all the "greenery". The dirt is still on it and it doesn't look like anything I would ever want to buy. I don't even like to touch them.
Really good Baron of Beef on this week for a great price. We had one for dinner tonight. Very tender meat. 11 of us sat down to dinner and everyone loved it. (dinner by hubby tonight and it was even ready when I got home from work).

That one definitely doesn't look very appetizing. We've bought at least two or three in the last few years. It's not a veggie that is easy to like. A lot of peeling to do. You can cook them and mash them like potatoes or grate them raw into a salad or whatever.
The baron of beef sounds good. I wish S.O.F. would turn out a good calabrese bread roll to use for a beef dip. Their Calabrese bread is second to none.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
My ex had a recipie she liked , don't know how that taste like tho, but it involved whip cream and me :p:p

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Try to stay on topic guys.

Good point, Juan...sorry about that!

I took a (grass-fed) beef shoulder roast the other night and poked it with a boning knife, and then inserted pieces of cut up garlic into the incisions. I then used a small food blender (Magic Bullet) to liquefy more garlic, onions, salt, and some serrano chilies into sort of a "cream." I basted the roast on all side with it, and then slow roasted it for around 4 hours.

I'm a garlic lover (does it show?), but the slow roasting removed any "objectionable" odours and turned the whole thing into a rich tasting, falling-apart tender beef experience. I think cheap cuts of beef have more and better flavour than the expensive cuts, but it's a bit of a challenge to get them into a chewable, edible state. Got lucky on this one!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I took a (grass-fed) beef shoulder roast the other night and poked it with a boning knife, and then inserted pieces of cut up garlic into the incisions. I then used a small food blender (Magic Bullet) to liquefy more garlic, onions, salt, and some serrano chilies into sort of a "cream." I basted the roast on all side with it, and then slow roasted it for around 4 hours.

I'm a garlic lover (does it show?), but the slow roasting removed any "objectionable" odours and turned the whole thing into a rich tasting, falling-apart tender beef experience. I think cheap cuts of beef have more and better flavour than the expensive cuts, but it's a bit of a challenge to get them into a chewable, edible state. Got lucky on this one!

The so-called better cuts of beef don't take kindly to slow cooking. You need a well marbled cut with a bit of fat like the shoulder you used or a crossrib roast., Otherwise it will often be stringy.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

I hope you had good hot horseradish with it!

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I hope you had good hot horseradish with it!

I did! I mixed it with some of my homemade (hot) mustard and it was pretty good. Would like to find some fresh horseradish but hard to do around here. A neighbor grew some a couple of years ago, and gave it to me as she didn't know what to do with it. I ground it up, added some things to it, and boy was it ever good...fresh tasting. Good for clearing the sinuses. :cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I did! I mixed it with some of my homemade (hot) mustard and it was pretty good. Would like to find some fresh horseradish but hard to do around here. A neighbor grew some a couple of years ago, and gave it to me as she didn't know what to do with it. I ground it up, added some things to it, and boy was it ever good...fresh tasting. Good for clearing the sinuses. :cool:

Around easter you should be able to find some fresh root in the markets. Buy it, plant it... you'll never be without that way. Just make sure to plant it somewhere out of the way. It's a pretty hardy 'weed'.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Around easter you should be able to find some fresh root in the markets. Buy it, plant it... you'll never be without that way. Just make sure to plant it somewhere out of the way. It's a pretty hardy 'weed'.

If it's "weed-like", it will likely do quite well around here! Sounds like it's a perennial, right? Thanks for that, Karrie...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If it's "weed-like", it will likely do quite well around here! Sounds like it's a perennial, right? Thanks for that, Karrie...

countryboy, you probably have tons of it around you already, and just don't know what to look for. I know a ton of ditches around here I could go dig horseradish out of, and it even grew where we lived north of the 58th. It is perennial indeed.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
countryboy, you probably have tons of it around you already, and just don't know what to look for. I know a ton of ditches around here I could go dig horseradish out of, and it even grew where we lived north of the 58th. It is perennial indeed.

You're probably right...I can't remember what it looks like "above ground." But, I have a couple of green-thumbed neighbours who could help me out on that. Growing in ditches?!? Wow! That would be a find...

I really love the taste of fresh horseradish vs. the ready-to-go stuff in the stores. It's quite "alive" and easy to grind up into a nice concoction...

Thanks again!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Horseradish is a lot like rhubarb.... try to get rid of it and you just make it multiply. So, ditches tend to end up with tons of it, because if grind up one root with your equipment, you spread it like wildfire.

Last edited:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC

Horseradish is a lot like rhubarb.... try to get rid of it and you just make it multiply. So, ditches tend to end up with tons of it, because if grind up one root with your equipment, you spread it like wildfire.

Jeez, if that happens I'll be in "weed heaven." I already have some rhubarb growing here and there, so I'm all set there (for rhubarb and strawberry pies, for one thing)...Also have mint on the grow in a couple of places. I just let it grow...got 15 acres with "natural patches" strategically placed (the ones I don't touch), so that might be where the horseradish will go/grow. Mmm...weeds you can eat - too good!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Jeez, if that happens I'll be in "weed heaven." I already have some rhubarb growing here and there, so I'm all set there (for rhubarb and strawberry pies, for one thing)...Also have mint on the grow in a couple of places. I just let it grow...got 15 acres with "natural patches" strategically placed (the ones I don't touch), so that might be where the horseradish will go/grow. Mmm...weeds you can eat - too good!

If you've got some perennial spots set up for yourself you might also want to consider chives and thyme. Asparagus is also a great perennial to have from what I hear (I have yet to grow it myself).

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
If you've got some perennial spots set up for yourself you might also want to consider chives and thyme. Asparagus is also a great perennial to have from what I hear (I have yet to grow it myself).

Thank you...yes, already have an herb garden going...indoors and out, when seasons allow. I have a neighbour who grows huge amounts of asparagus - really nice stuff - so I'll continue to "raid her garden" for that one. It's really nice to eat when it's less than an hour out of the garden...flavour!

She and her hubby went on a cross-Canada tour last summer and left me in charge of eating the garden's bounty...oh boy, it was a great summer...fresh raspberries, tons of strawberries, lots of asparagus (every day!), varieties of greens, and much more.

It all went well with the grass-fed beef (staying on topic here) that I already had in stock.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

I'll have to keep an eye open for it!