Beef Recipes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Don't you use "Frank's Red Hot Sauce"?

I'm sorry to say that I haven't heard of that one. Is it hotter than Tobasco?

I have made some very hot sauces by crushing Jellipinos and other peppers but they were just too damn hot for me.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I have made some very hot sauces by crushing Jellipinos and other peppers but they were just too damn hot for me.

I don't know how hot it is. It's in my fridge because members of my family like it. Personally I prefer cajun spice (blackening spice - same thing) and not even too much of that. We have our own Jambalaya recipe and we enjoy it spicey (from cajun) and we have a soup that my son made up - he calls it Jalapeno cheddar chowder and it is sooo tasty. Fattening, but tasty. Every once in awhile we just have to make a pot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Frank's Hot Sauce is made of cayenne peppers which are milder than Tobasco.

gopher

Islandpacific

The hot sauce I made..... I can laugh at now, twenty years after the fact but I whirled a few different varieties of hot peppers around in the blender including some peppers called "Hungarian Sweet Peppers". I made every mistake in the book. First I put my finger in the ground up peppers and at sometime I touched my eye, my lip, and in a few minutes I was in pain. My eye and lip were still red and sore the next morning. I will be buying my hot sauce from the store for the foreseeable future.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hungarian Goulash

Hungarian Goulash is a very meaty, spicy beef stew that is great for dinner on a cold Winter night.
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped coarsely
1 medium size green pepper, seeded and diced
4 pounds lean beef short ribs
3 cups beef broth
1 (4 ounces) jar diced roasted red peppers
4 tablespoons flour
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
6 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 cup fresh mushrooms cut in half
1 cup dry red wine
salt and pepper to taste.

1 pound egg noodles
sour cream

Heat the olive oil in large pan and . Add the onion, tomato and green pepper. Sauté a few minutes, until onions are soft. Stir flour into olive oil. Add the beef, mushrooms, red peppers, garlic, beef broth, paprika and red wine. gently simmer covered, for 30 minutes, stir gently, cover and gently simmer for 90 minutes.*

When the Goulash is almost ready, cook the egg noodles in a large pot of boiling water. Drain well.

Serve the Goulash on a bed of hot buttered noodles, topped with a dollop of sour cream.

Serves 6 to 8.

*I say simmer gently because as the sauce thickens, it might be prone to burning on
the bottom. It might be an idea to check a few more times during the cooking. I've often thought this recipe should be done in the oven rather than on the stove top.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Juan, do you know if there is any good farm raised beef
on this part of the island, that would be organic, and
no injections of anything, well, maybe a flue shot? lol

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Talloola...you might want to check out this site: www.eatwild.com

It has Canadian sources of "where to buy" the good beef on that site...good luck!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I realize this is an old post but I thought I would respond anyway. I was speaking with some people about peppers. We sell a lot of serrano peppers - much more than Jalapeno's. I haven't bought them yet myself but I intend to. People tell me that the serrano peppers are a little sweeter and more mild than the jalapeno's are. The price is right too. You can 2-3 or them for about 25 cents or less. They look just like a jalapeno except they are much smaller. Anyway, you might want to give them a try.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
thanks, I'll check that out
Talloola, I have family that have lived here for quite a few years and probably know where you can get that kind of beef. I have family all the way from here to Blackcreek so one of them must know the answer. As a family, we too have been talking about buying a side of beef so we were planning on looking into it anyway.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The farmer I've been getting the lamb from used to put up a hindquarter. A hindquarter is usually about a hundred and fifty pounds at something around $4.00 a pound. Since we moved from the mainland we haven't had a big enough freezer so we usually bought just a whole loin. I will talk to this guy in the next week or two and let you know if he is still in the business........Right now he is in the Caribbean getting a tan or whatever.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The farmer I've been getting the lamb from used to put up a hindquarter. A hindquarter is usually about a hundred and fifty pounds at something around $4.00 a pound. Since we moved from the mainland we haven't had a big enough freezer so we usually bought just a whole loin. I will talk to this guy in the next week or two and let you know if he is still in the business........Right now he is in the Caribbean getting a tan or whatever.

Okay dockay, and info for my daughter re: lamb too, thanks
so much.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I realize this is an old post but I thought I would respond anyway. I was speaking with some people about peppers. We sell a lot of serrano peppers - much more than Jalapeno's. I haven't bought them yet myself but I intend to. People tell me that the serrano peppers are a little sweeter and more mild than the jalapeno's are. The price is right too. You can 2-3 or them for about 25 cents or less. They look just like a jalapeno except they are much smaller. Anyway, you might want to give them a try.

VanIsle - Here's a handy little chart on chiles peppers and their heat levels. Serrano chiles should be a bit hotter than jalapenos, but I think it depends on "the batch." Anyway, it's one version of the "Scoville Scale"...there are a few more kicking around. (I like the habaneros, but one has to be careful with them...)

Sweet Bells; Sweet Banana; and Pimento0Negligible Scoville UnitsMexi-Bells; Cherry; New Mexica; New Mexico; Anaheim; Big Jim 100-1,000 Scoville Units

Ancho; Pasilla; Espanola; Anaheim 1,000 - 1,500 Scoville Units

Sandia; Cascabel 1,500 - 2,500 Scoville Units

Jalapeno; Mirasol; Chipotle; Poblano 2,500 - 5,000 Scoville Units

Yellow Wax; Serrano 5,000 - 15,000 Scoville Units

Chile De Arbol 15,000 - 30,000 Scoville Units

Aji; Cayenne; Tabasco; Piquin 30,000 - 50,000 Scoville Units

Santaka; Chiltecpin; Thai 50,000 - 100,000 Scoville Units

Habanero; Scotch Bonnet 100,000 - 350,000 Scoville Units

Red Savina Habanero; Indian Tezpur 350,000-855,000 Scoville Units

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
100,000 Scoville units will take the paint off your car. God knows what 855,000 Scoville units might do to your insides.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
100,000 Scoville units will take the paint off your car. God knows what 855,000 Scoville units might do to your insides.

Yeah, that figure is a bit extreme, eh? Actually, the capsicum in chilies is pretty healthy stuff - I eat habaneros all the time (well over 100,000 S/units), and have for many years. Mind you, I don't eat a bowl of raw ones every day...yikes! But, using them in conjunction with other ingredients to get the benefit of their unique flavour can be fun. And tasty too!

For a rather mild salsa, I always use serrano chilies but I roast and skin them first...and then scrape off some of the white "veiny stuff" if my guests don't like stuff too hot. The white stuff is where the extreme heat resides.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
VanIsle - Here's a handy little chart on chiles peppers and their heat levels. Serrano chiles should be a bit hotter than jalapenos, but I think it depends on "the batch." Anyway, it's one version of the "Scoville Scale"...there are a few more kicking around. (I like the habaneros, but one has to be careful with them...)

Sweet Bells; Sweet Banana; and Pimento0Negligible Scoville UnitsMexi-Bells; Cherry; New Mexica; New Mexico; Anaheim; Big Jim 100-1,000 Scoville Units

Thank you. It's a great list but where is the Anaheim and the Poblano (sp?)? People ask me all the time about which one is the hottest. and the best I can do is tell them what I have been told. If my printer was connected (hasn't been since we moved in at the end of October!) I would print this off for reference.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Thank you. It's a great list but where is the Anaheim and the Poblano (sp?)? People ask me all the time about which one is the hottest. and the best I can do is tell them what I have been told. If my printer was connected (hasn't been since we moved in at the end of October!) I would print this off for reference.

Hi VI...I did a poor job of copying and pasting this list...you can probably find a much better one by Googling "Scoville Unit chart" or something like that. The one I put isn't too clear but the 2 chilies you asked about are there...here we go again:

I see this one lists Anaheim twice, could be due to an overlap in the rating...it could be right on 1,000 units so shows in both categories above. Or, it could just be a mistake...

I believe an Ancho is a dried Poblano chilie and that would make some sense, as the white veiny stuff would shrink, thus leaving the dried version (Ancho) with less bite than the fresh version (Poblano). At least, that's my opinion.

These charts are just a bit of a guideline as I've seen slightly different numbers on different charts, but it is kind of handy for those interested in such things. Like me!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi VI...I did a poor job of copying and pasting this list...you can probably find a much better one by Googling "Scoville Unit chart" or something like that. The one I put isn't too clear but the 2 chilies you asked about are there...here we go again:

I see this one lists Anaheim twice, could be due to an overlap in the rating...it could be right on 1,000 units so shows in both categories above. Or, it could just be a mistake...

I believe an Ancho is a dried Poblano chilie and that would make some sense, as the white veiny stuff would shrink, thus leaving the dried version (Ancho) with less bite than the fresh version (Poblano). At least, that's my opinion.

These charts are just a bit of a guideline as I've seen slightly different numbers on different charts, but it is kind of handy for those interested in such things. Like me!
Thank you again. Lots of people are interested. It would be wise for all stores to post such a list so people can gauge the heat. I get told so many recipes in a day. I have an excellent memory but - for the number of people I am in contact with in a day who want to tell me how they prepare their food, memory doesn't begin to hold. I tell them how wonderful it sounds and I am being sincere. I just don't remember what they've said by the time I'm finished with the next customer. What amazes me most is that people choose odd fruits and veggies and then when they get to me (and the other cashiers) we say "what is this called" to which they say "I don't know. I thought you would know"! If ya don't know what it is or how to use it, why would you buy it??? I actually never knew that people would buy and eat celery root! I had a fellow in his mid 20's packing for me today. He's been with the store for about 6 years. When someone came through with a celery root and I just put it through, he said - What IS that? I was finished with it so I let the customer tell him all about it. He sounded about as interested as I felt. Now I'll probably have 10 people come on here and tell me how wonderful and healthy it is. I'm still never going to use it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Celery root is not the root of the celery we usually slice up into soups or salads. Celery root is kind of like a turnip. It is a different kind of celery. The stocks can be tough and bitter.

Last edited: