BC Supreme Court to allow class-action suit against Ottawa

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
B.C. Supreme Court to allow class-action suit against Ottawa

Saturday, August 3, 2002 – Page A5

VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Supreme Court will allow a $380-million class-action lawsuit against the federal government by gays and lesbians for survivor benefits under the Canada Pension Plan.

Madam Justice Marion Allan found a class-action suit was appropriate to determine the issues raised by Eric Brogaard and Gail Meredith in their lawsuit against the Attorney-General of Canada.

"In the absence of a class proceeding, there could be a proliferation of individual actions seeking virtually identical relief," Judge Allan wrote in her decision.

And the cost of suing the government on an individual basis would preclude many legitimate claims, she wrote.

The lawsuit alleges that the federal government discriminates because while it collects CPP premiums from all Canadians, it denies survivor pensions to gays and lesbians whose partners died before Jan. 1, 1998.

Ottawa imposed that cutoff date in 2000, when it introduced Bill C-23 granting a variety of rights to same-sex couples.

Gays and lesbians say the date is arbitrary and without legal justification, denying survivor benefits to an estimated 10,000 gays and lesbians across the country.

A similar lawsuit has been launched in Ontario. CP

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
the same sex benefits and marriage stuff is going on publicly every day. Why don't they just stop publicizing it and keep it quiet. It's getting quite annoying and I personally don't want to hear another word about it.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Its controversy. :) It makes people think, discuss and ponder some more. Its the same reason we have forums on this website. For my views on this, you can read the other thread since its essentially along the same lines.

People are People. Period.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
B.C. Supreme Court to allow class-action suit against Ottawa

Saturday, August 3, 2002 – Page A5

VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Supreme Court will allow a $380-million class-action lawsuit against the federal government by gays and lesbians for survivor benefits under the Canada Pension Plan.

Madam Justice Marion Allan found a class-action suit was appropriate to determine the issues raised by Eric Brogaard and Gail Meredith in their lawsuit against the Attorney-General of Canada.

"In the absence of a class proceeding, there could be a proliferation of individual actions seeking virtually identical relief," Judge Allan wrote in her decision.

And the cost of suing the government on an individual basis would preclude many legitimate claims, she wrote.

The lawsuit alleges that the federal government discriminates because while it collects CPP premiums from all Canadians, it denies survivor pensions to gays and lesbians whose partners died before Jan. 1, 1998.

Ottawa imposed that cutoff date in 2000, when it introduced Bill C-23 granting a variety of rights to same-sex couples.

Gays and lesbians say the date is arbitrary and without legal justification, denying survivor benefits to an estimated 10,000 gays and lesbians across the country.

A similar lawsuit has been launched in Ontario. CP
Class action suits are good for society,as a matter of fact sometimes court action is the only action,the administered processs of fair access is minimized,spin is a time consuming practice which neglects public policies,and human rights,
Good on the challenge,paving the way,the gay,lesbian community is fabulously organized,
I would love to audit for a lawyer in this case, have some fun

I would have some fun with those bigots

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Class action suits are good for society,as a matter of fact sometimes court action is the only action,the administered processs of fair access is minimized,spin is a time consuming practice which neglects public policies,and human rights,
Good on the challenge,paving the way,the gay,lesbian community is fabulously organized,
I would love to audit for a lawyer in this case, have some fun

I would have some fun with those bigots

Just as I suspected back then, the gays would win and we would be increasingly exposed to their gayness. Now you can't even say the Lords Prayer in school, burn a cross on a lawn or grab a women's p**sy without somebody getting uppity. Give em an inch I tell ya!!

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Constitutional lawyers,like real Constitutional lawyers,some confused,some not,
It all dependes,I loved this part of auditing,seeking out those Constitutional lawyers,after all the Courts and Constitutional lawyers should be team players,fooled again!
This is an area I still like to peak at here and there,Constitutional lawyers,real ones are my heroes