B.C. Penitentiary (1975)

macrob

Feb 2, 2010
My dad was a member of the E.R.T. that day. His life in my mind was ruined that day. A very sad day indeed

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
B.C. Penitentiary, What a grand place.

barton

Oct 18, 2010
My grandparents have passed away for a couple of years now and now I would like to do some research on my uncle. He was aparently involved with Andy Bruce during the Hostage taking and in a number of escape attempts. His name is Steven Hall. Once the penitentiary closed down he was aparently voted one of the most feared inmates in the penitentiary by the guards. This was in an article in McCleans magizine. If anyone has any information that they would be willing to share i would really apprieciate it. He caused my whole family a huge amount of grief and out of respect for my grandparents I am now just starting to begin my research. Any help would be great...you can reach me at barton49@shaw.ca thank you

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I rented a condo right behind there. Nice view of the drywall factory and scrap yard across the river in Bridgeview.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I remember visiting BC Pen in 1981, after it was closed down and they briefly opened it for tours (My class at Burquitlam elementary came for a tour). Several things stuck out from that day; one in particular I think was related to this horrible riot.

They showed us one cell block that apparently had been left untouched after the riot. Everything was trashed and I remember seeing some giant metal bar mechanism that had been pulled away from the wall and bent; we were told that prisoners had done it by hand. Does any of this ring a bell to anyone? Was there a trashed cell block that was not repaired after the riot?

I also remember them showing us a collection of whips that were used for discipline on the prisoners. They said that Raymond Burr, the actor--his father was the man who administered the whippings in the 40s and 50s. I also remember the the lunch hall, there were a few bathroom stalls that faced out into the lunchroom, with no doors on them. that completely creeped my 12 year old mind out...
Visiting that scary 100 year old prison was definitely one of the most memorable events of my childhood, even if my memory is faulty!

I believe the CKNW reporters name was Gary Bannerman, he was called personally to the prison that day,
specifically by one of the prisoners to do some negotionating.
If you contact CKNW, perhaps they could help you contact him.
I was born in New Westminster, and I remember Burr Office Supplies on the corner of Columbia and Sixth,
owned and operated by Raymond Burr's brother.
The Burr family was very well know in new Westminster.

barton

Oct 18, 2010
I was a guard there at that time. Spent the entire time as they would not let us leave the prision during the hostage incedent.

Very sad outcome

Boobear, If you were a guard there can you tell me anything about my uncle Steven Hall. He and Andy Bruce had some dealing together and I would be interested in any information you have and would be willing to share. Because of his past I have just learned of alot of his past in the last couple of years. Steven is in Drummondville Quebec in the penitentary out there and I am just now starting to begin some research on him. Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated...thanks

redeightyone

Jan 14, 2011
Kelowna
my step-father was involved in this riot, and my mother was a hostage. i am unsure how long she was held, but it was in the visitors area, and my mother was pregnant with my older brother. she told me that my father broke into the store are of the common area during the riot and stole my mother a purse that she had admired. she couldntave with two purses, so they had a fire in the visitors area after they shut off all the water and electricity and burned her original purse. i still own that purse today, and wear it.

i have heard conflicting stories as to what transpired during this period, but i have been told that my father was aware of the events that were going to transpire, and that is why my mother was there to visit him on that day. i know that his parents were also there. i know that they traded hostages for heroine, and that the reason for the riot had to do with treatment of the prisoners. i have heard stories of cruel and unusual punishment, and torture of prisoners. as on now i live within a few blocks of the bc pen, but have not yet visited their cafe, bc pen cafe.

i welcome replies to this post......
What SCHEISNER says is all true. I have talked to at least 5 inmates that were there that day. I knew them personally in Kent Prison and the PA SHU. Ralph Saumer (RIP) is one of them...

Another interesting thing that happened, is that after the shooting, all the guards threw their sidearms in one big pile to avoid the shooter being discovered. That is kind of scandalous...no?

OfficerJohn

Jan 30, 2011
I worked at BC Pen from 77 at the early age of 20, I remained there until it close in 1980, I was there when Andy Bruce took hostages, in the V&C area.

sted

Apr 2, 2011
Re: andy bruce
I went to school with andy bruce at st edmunds catholic school, north vancouver. At the time the school was taught by the nuns from the order of the child jesus whose convent ( now a music academy I understand) was about 3 blocks away.
The parish priest was Father McEvoy.
Andy sat behind me in Grade 3. I will forever remember the day that once again andy was given a beating by Father McEvoy. Of course it was not called what it tuly was: a beating but merely "the strap".
I remember andy after 'the strap' and he was crying and saying over and over again " I didn't do it... I didn't do it".
I turned around and he looked up and I wont foget the look in his eyes and I believe although we were only in Grade 3 , that he was telling the truth.
The nun stood at the front of the class teaching and never so much as looked at andy.
Sad for him but this was not to be the only beating he got that day. As class was being let out for the day and I passed the staff room which was very close to our door andy was being dragged into the office by Father McEvoy who slammed the door and the next I recall was hearing Andy screaming at the top of his lungs !
I never did find out why he was beaten , we were never told why anyone got 'the strap'. And I grant you Andy did not grow up to be a choirboy.... far far from it.
As for Father McEvoy having talked with some kids who personally experienced his form of punishment he really put 'his all ' into his work to the point where hands were blistered. When I read that there is a park named after Father McEvoy I could not help but shake my head and sigh.
As for Andy he went on to make headlines. But just as sad , in my opinion, to say the stories of the cold, indifferant nuns and a priest who gladly gave beatings ,never did make the headlines. Father McEvoy ruled that school with an iron fist.....literally. He reigned through terror and the nuns went placidly along with it. Except those of course who thought nothing of hitting young children.
regards : sted
ps.. I was not one of the kids who experienced a beating at that school.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Re: andy bruce
I went to school with andy bruce at st edmunds catholic school, north vancouver. At the time the school was taught by the nuns from the order of the child jesus whose convent ( now a music academy I understand) was about 3 blocks away.
The parish priest was Father McEvoy.
Andy sat behind me in Grade 3. I will forever remember the day that once again andy was given a beating by Father McEvoy. Of course it was not called what it tuly was: a beating but merely "the strap".
I remember andy after 'the strap' and he was crying and saying over and over again " I didn't do it... I didn't do it".
I turned around and he looked up and I wont foget the look in his eyes and I believe although we were only in Grade 3 , that he was telling the truth.
The nun stood at the front of the class teaching and never so much as looked at andy.
Sad for him but this was not to be the only beating he got that day. As class was being let out for the day and I passed the staff room which was very close to our door andy was being dragged into the office by Father McEvoy who slammed the door and the next I recall was hearing Andy screaming at the top of his lungs !
I never did find out why he was beaten , we were never told why anyone got 'the strap'. And I grant you Andy did not grow up to be a choirboy.... far far from it.
As for Father McEvoy having talked with some kids who personally experienced his form of punishment he really put 'his all ' into his work to the point where hands were blistered. When I read that there is a park named after Father McEvoy I could not help but shake my head and sigh.
As for Andy he went on to make headlines. But just as sad , in my opinion, to say the stories of the cold, indifferant nuns and a priest who gladly gave beatings ,never did make the headlines. Father McEvoy ruled that school with an iron fist.....literally. He reigned through terror and the nuns went placidly along with it. Except those of course who thought nothing of hitting young children.
regards : sted
ps.. I was not one of the kids who experienced a beating at that school.

Yep, a lot of times there's good reasons for people being the way they are. Is Andy Bruce still in prison? I remember at the time hearing Andy Bruce's mother single handedly raised 14 children and 13 of them turned out well.

sted

Apr 2, 2011
Yes andy was one of 13 kids !

I went to high school with his brother Rusty.... GREAT kid. Always felt sorry for him in a way because he had to work extra hard to try and live down his brother's "rep'... and he did it too.....

I went to st edmund's with his siter Linda and I THINK she was killed in a car crash while being driven home after a babysitting job....

As for the rest of the kids I dont remember going to school with them......

regards

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
oh yes, the sweet memories of catholic school, (boarding school), although I was not a boarder.(St. Annes Academy, New Westminster)

in grade 3, two nice twin girls sat very close to me, both had pretty long braids.

one day, one of them had to go to the bathroom, but was so afraid of the teacher, (not a nun) that
she was afraid to put up her hand and ask, so she sat their till she 'wet' herself, THEN, all hell
broke loose, the teacher marched down to her desk and yanked her out of the seat by her hair, and
yelled at her, the crying started, and the rest of us sat their as quiet as mice, also afraid to
make a sound.

That particular teacher was horrid, mean and I never saw her smile once.

That type of atmosphere seemed normal to me, as there was not once ounce of fun, going to that school,
ever. Stern faces at all times, and we all tip toed everywhere, afraid of something happening that
would have someone in trouble.

sted

Apr 2, 2011
Yep, a lot of times there's good reasons for people being the way they are. Is Andy Bruce still in prison? I remember at the time hearing Andy Bruce's mother single handedly raised 14 children and 13 of them turned out well.

yes it sure does make you wonder ! it was over the top harsh but i think it has swung too far the other way now..... those times were very differant now teachers have to worry if their class are packing guns or knives !!!! never mind if they even turn up... I am not even sure now how many catholic schools in bc are taught by nuns ? I can only hope on an elementary leval that those poor little ones never4 have to see or go through what I did !
Small wonder that I left the catholic hurch permanetly and never went back.... ( long story behind that one too ) !!!
cheers

My grandparents have passed away for a couple of years now and now I would like to do some research on my uncle. He was aparently involved with Andy Bruce during the Hostage taking and in a number of escape attempts. His name is Steven Hall. Once the penitentiary closed down he was aparently voted one of the most feared inmates in the penitentiary by the guards. This was in an article in McCleans magizine. If anyone has any information that they would be willing to share i would really apprieciate it. He caused my whole family a huge amount of grief and out of respect for my grandparents I am now just starting to begin my research. Any help would be great...you can reach me at barton49@shaw.ca thank you

hi... have you tried entereing Steven's name in ancestry. com it might give you some information as to birth where he lived ect....
good luck...do u have the article from mclean's magazine? try google for the magizine achives... they maybe able to send you a copy ?
let me know how it goes... and the bc pen has to have an archive dept somewhere...i doubt the records were destroyed...
cheers

I remember visiting BC Pen in 1981, after it was closed down and they briefly opened it for tours (My class at Burquitlam elementary came for a tour). Several things stuck out from that day; one in particular I think was related to this horrible riot.

They showed us one cell block that apparently had been left untouched after the riot. Everything was trashed and I remember seeing some giant metal bar mechanism that had been pulled away from the wall and bent; we were told that prisoners had done it by hand. Does any of this ring a bell to anyone? Was there a trashed cell block that was not repaired after the riot?

I also remember them showing us a collection of whips that were used for discipline on the prisoners. They said that Raymond Burr, the actor--his father was the man who administered the whippings in the 40s and 50s. I also remember the the lunch hall, there were a few bathroom stalls that faced out into the lunchroom, with no doors on them. that completely creeped my 12 year old mind out...
Visiting that scary 100 year old prison was definitely one of the most memorable events of my childhood, even if my memory is faulty!

wow I meant to take the trip to the open house and never did.... wish i had.... cheers

Well a peace officer had been killed. But that still does not excuse the fact of what the prison officials did. At least my father had transfered to another prison after no one listened to him. Now, I think personally, if it hadn't been for that prisoner who had warned my father, he wouldn't be here today and I wouldn't be here today.

yes no kidding.... did your dad ever talk about what happened? like it or not it is a piece of history....cheers

May 6, 2011
Re: B.C. Penitentiary (1975)-Steven Albert Hall...Attn: Barton

May 6th 2011...In 1975 I was stationed in Burnaby BC as a 19yr old RCMP constable. I was present inside the BC penitentiary when the riots were on going, a very scary time. I am retired now and just happened to be destroying my old notebooks when I came across my entries regarding your uncle Steven Albert Hall. In 1976 I was one of two officers involved in a shooting incident when Steven and David Gary Bennett robbed the bank at the Brentwood Mall. Steven was shot in the stomach and recovered later at Royal Columbian Hospital eventually convicted on attempt murder and robbery charges and sentenced to the BC pen to serve his time. Later on Steven was involved in an escape attempt, the theft of an ambulance and assault on ambulance driver. He was being transported to hospital as a result of a self inflicted wound I believe and that is when he overpowered the guard. Coincidentially I was assigned to Royal Columbian Hospital to guard him while in recovery. For some unknown reason I decided to google his name and came upon your entry. Small world!

sted

Apr 2, 2011
so good to see your post altho i am not related to steven... a suggestion coming from an avid genealogist dont detroy your notebooks from when u were an rcmp....someone ...somewhere in the future will be glad you kept thme... just a suugestion...cheers
ps my grandfather wsa a cop in detriot in the 1920'... all capone's erea... and what i would not give today to see his notebooks... wow...

77bcpen

May 14, 2011
I started at BCPen in 77 at 19. It was quite an eye opener. But it was a bad job market, and I was getting hungry...
You could not imagine the people they were hiring... (including me) Funeral directors, Viet Nam combat Vets, missionaries...

The echos of the Steinhauser incident were still there.
Due to that incident, the ERT was disbanded, and the RCMP were used for any armed force reaction.

I remember Steven Hall. I would not say he was feared, but definately considered dangerous. He was polite to the guards faces, but he and AndyB slashed a hostage guards throat. I was 30 meters away.

The word was, that he was strange, and enjoyed torturing captured mice. (which overrand the prison). One of my friends found crucified mouse bodies in his cell.

One hostage event, with the ambulance, was after StevenH stabbed himself with a screwdriver.

He was known as "The brentwood bandit" after his failed robbery attempt. I understood that they went to the wrong location, and burst into the store next to the bank first. (this lost them important time, as the police were alerted early). The next problem that they had, was that one of them dropped the car keys in the bank, and had to return to get them.
As they finally got to the car, the RCMP showed up, and a quick gunfight. When Steven was hit, he immediatly surrendered.

I guess I am wrong, as the previous poster stated, but I thought that Steven received a minor hand wound, not a stomach wound.

I believe that AndyB was more hated than StevenH, as during the Steinhauser incident (remember, I was not there, so this is what I was told by many guards) 2 guards were also hostages, and were tortured by AndyB. (I was told chemicals in their eyes).

To keep this in context, remember that 90% of the inmates got along fine with staff. In a federal institution, you need to just keep your head down, and do your time. both sides are going to be there for a long percentage of their life, so most do not want conflict.

I actually remember Steven Hall (before the hostage takings) coming up to me, and warning that "one of the guards was preaching (a big no-no) about Jesus to the inmates, and that this was anoying them big time. Something was going to happen to him." The guard was then removed. I don't remember if it was fired, or transferred.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I was down by what remains of the old pen a few weeks back on something of a historical tour-not a place to remember fondly and Yes I lived in the Lower Rainland when they shut it down-GFR.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am fascinated by this story coming back to life after all this time. I would like it if some of
the people who know could fill us in. I am willing to bet there are a lot of stories out there
where some of us cross paths with events from our history or had some prior contact with
some of the participants who became famous or infamous later on.

sted

Apr 2, 2011
agrees that after all this time the BC Pen hostage still comes up every once in awhile. There were no doubt lots of things that occured during that hostage taking that never was reported in the media !!! The whole complete truth of it all will probably never come out either.

I remeber that once Andy Bruce was released from hospital he was not sent back to BC Pen. Anyone know where he was transferred too? Surely it can't be the same place that Hall was transferred too? Then again ....

Are either one of them alive ? Pretty sure Andy, if alive, has to be in his 60's now...

Would also be curious if the former BC Pen guards ever meet for a reunion?

All in all as horrible as it was it is still a part of B.C.'s history....

I am fascinated by this story coming back to life after all this time. I would like it if some of
the people who know could fill us in. I am willing to bet there are a lot of stories out there
where some of us cross paths with events from our history or had some prior contact with
some of the participants who became famous or infamous later on.

oh Yes I agree and it is after all a part of ALL of our history !!!! sted

I started at BCPen in 77 at 19. It was quite an eye opener. But it was a bad job market, and I was getting hungry...
You could not imagine the people they were hiring... (including me) Funeral directors, Viet Nam combat Vets, missionaries...

The echos of the Steinhauser incident were still there.
Due to that incident, the ERT was disbanded, and the RCMP were used for any armed force reaction.

I remember Steven Hall. I would not say he was feared, but definately considered dangerous. He was polite to the guards faces, but he and AndyB slashed a hostage guards throat. I was 30 meters away.

The word was, that he was strange, and enjoyed torturing captured mice. (which overrand the prison). One of my friends found crucified mouse bodies in his cell.

One hostage event, with the ambulance, was after StevenH stabbed himself with a screwdriver.

He was known as "The brentwood bandit" after his failed robbery attempt. I understood that they went to the wrong location, and burst into the store next to the bank first. (this lost them important time, as the police were alerted early). The next problem that they had, was that one of them dropped the car keys in the bank, and had to return to get them.
As they finally got to the car, the RCMP showed up, and a quick gunfight. When Steven was hit, he immediatly surrendered.

I guess I am wrong, as the previous poster stated, but I thought that Steven received a minor hand wound, not a stomach wound.

I believe that AndyB was more hated than StevenH, as during the Steinhauser incident (remember, I was not there, so this is what I was told by many guards) 2 guards were also hostages, and were tortured by AndyB. (I was told chemicals in their eyes).

To keep this in context, remember that 90% of the inmates got along fine with staff. In a federal institution, you need to just keep your head down, and do your time. both sides are going to be there for a long percentage of their life, so most do not want conflict.

I actually remember Steven Hall (before the hostage takings) coming up to me, and warning that "one of the guards was preaching (a big no-no) about Jesus to the inmates, and that this was anoying them big time. Something was going to happen to him." The guard was then removed. I don't remember if it was fired, or transferred.

was that the same bank robbery that andy bruce was also involved in ? wrong location ??? dropped keyes ??? wow not exactly a stellar start to a bank robbery LOL... maybe Hall should have stayed in school !!!
I know Andy did not because I went to school with him for a short time,,,,,
I did go to school with his brother Rusty who spent years having to live down what andy did ! Rusty was a GREAT
guy and a wonderful basketball player.