Armed Forces off to fight fires

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
You posted three entire pages of a discussion.

could you narrow it down a tad?

perhaps use your words to communicate your thoughts

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It's ok

Maybe get yourself some down time. You've been working hard.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Canadian Forces sending plane, crew to help fight Australia wildfires
Mission is to transport fire retardant, free up airlift capacity and take images of fires
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-forces-plane-crew-australia-wildfires-1.5432787
Well here we go. I have been saying for several decades now that our military ought to be of some tangible use to someone. Why do we insist on buying and operating combat aircraft instead of utility aircraft? Why do we insist on making common everyday tasks outside of the purview of our military?
Why do we not have a Fire Fighting Command? Why is fire fighting relegated to the aid to the civil power basket of stuff we do when we have to?
We could be the best fire fighters on earth if we had the sense to do so.
It would be the single most beneficial thing our military could do.
To start with the vast majority of forests in Canada is provincial jurisdiction. There are plenty of private companies that specialize in firefighting aircraft. Why should the taxpayer go in competition with them? If other parts of the world want to have fires in the off season they can hire these contractors.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Every Canadian who is threatened by wildfire in Canada is under federal jurisdiction.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
Its good to see the military doing something positive.
A NATO fire fighting force , say a converted aircraft carrier with water bombers would make a lot of sense.
Air land sea strike capabilities any where, doing good would be most agreeable.
I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going into some thing that makes the world a better safer place.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I guess we don't because we are trying to dig up $20 billion or so for new fighters that will never do any good for anyone anywhere at any time.
Pfft. $20 billion. That's about 3 1/2 years worth of foreign aid. Foreign aid, I might add, that is merely being tossed around with no accounting for how it's spent or or who's actually getting it.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
New machine guns for Canadian military to be delivered in December

The government is purchasing 3,626 new C6A1 FLEX General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs) from Colt Canada of Kitchener, ON. First deliveries of the new GPMGs are anticipated in December 2020, with final deliveries in July 2023, according to the Department of National Defence. The value of the contract is $96.97 million but that includes taxes.

At least we are getting something back for propping up another Central Canadian company

Colt Canada of Kitchener, ON.
The General Purpose Machine Gun usually sells to military forces for around $13,000. The DND says the cost for this purchase is around double because other gear and spare parts are being bought at the same time. “The total acquisition is 8,790 items, which includes 3,626 C6s and over 5,000 supplementary items, including a variety of spare parts, cleaning and repair kits, (and) slings to carry the GPMG,” DND spokesman Dan Le Bouthillier noted.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Better yet let the next Gov. support a western company with military contracts, we know this Gov. wouldn't support any company West of Thunder bay.
Maybe if you had spent more money getting manufacturers to set up there ....