Are scientists of physics worthy the Nobel Prize in 2021?

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
Global warming: Nobel Prize in Physics has become a joke, too
tuesday, october 05, 2021
---
The explanation of the award involving the "interplay" is incredibly vague.
What is the precise discovery or the paper that is being appreciated here?
After some minutes, it seems to me that it is specifically his paper(s) about the flocks of birds.
He has written many of those, too. And papers about planets. Where is the beef?
What is the finding or law or idea that has earned the medal? Does it matter any longer?
Is there anyone else who cares and asks my question? Can someone help me?
The "interplay mixing birds and planets" is exactly the kind of New Age unfocused gibberish that the anti-science people love . . .
Comments . . .

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Izzy! where ya been, man!?

Nobel Prizes have lost all meaning ever since they gave one to Obama.

Ya might as well call it The Order of Canada for all it's worth.

(that's my 2 cents and I expect change)

;?)

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
that sounds pretty accurate

man, they should stick you in a little room somewhere!

:?D

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
Are the scientists of physics worthy of the Nobel Prize in 2021?
Comment:
"There is no question that climate modelling one of the most important problems in geophysics and an issue of great human importance. Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann are among the initiators of this study in the 1960′s. Climate is extremely subtle, since the governing equations have chaotic solutions. This is, after all, the domain that gave rise to the term “butterfly effect” as a general representation of chaos. Manabe and Hasselmann made early contributions to the idea, now well established, that we can predict climate with some understood uncertainty and make predictions relevant to important decisions for society. This is a Nobel-worthy achievement.

However, I feel that the Nobel Prize announcement gives short shrift to the winner of the other half of the prize, Giorgio Parisi. Parisi’s most important work is not on climate but rather on theoretical problems of randomness and statistical behavior. This is my field, and I feel that I am in a good position to evaluate his work. Actually, Parisi one of my heroes, one of the most creative theorists of the past half century. In elementary particle physics, he made important contributions to our understanding of the structure of the proton. The “Altarelli-Parisi equations”, which reveal that the proton has a fractal structure when viewed at very short distances, are now an everyday tool for the physicists who work at the Large Hadron Collider. Parisi made important contributions to the idea of “conformal invariance”, the symmetry that describes systems such as a magnet at its critical point that have statistical or quantum fluctuations at every length scale. He introduced novel ways to think about disordered materials, for example, the “Parisi-Sourlas supersymmetry” of magnets in random fields. He has been a pioneer in the computer simulation of complex systems in statistical mechanics and quantum field theory.

Probably his most profound contribution is the solution of the thermodynamics of spin glasses, magnets in which the magnetic atoms have randomly ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic interactions. Parisi’s solution to this program was a true tour de force of mathematical physics. He introduced a series of matrix solutions, each one breaking the symmetry of the previous one in a systematic way. The final answer is given after an infinite number of levels of symmetry-breaking. Parisi’s solution gives insights not only into magnets and other disordered atomic systems but also more general problems of high computational complexity, for example, evolution on a complex “fitness landscape” and optimization problems arising in machine learning.

Thus, I am truly pleased that he has been awarded the Nobel Prize."
/Michael Peskin, Professor at Stanford University's SLAC National Accelerator Center (1982-present) /
---
It's hard to argue with the professor
------

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
Trio win physics Nobel for work deciphering chaotic climate
October 5, 2021
By Niklas Pollard and Ludwig Burger, Simon Johnson
1 - for modelling earth’s climate and reliably predicting global warming.

2 - for discovering in the early 1980s "hidden rules" behind seemingly random movements
and swirls in gases or liquids that can also be applied to aspects of neuroscience,
machine learning and starling flight formations.

"Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann laid the foundation of our knowledge
of the Earth’s climate and how humanity influences it," the Royal Swedish Academy
of Sciences said in a statement. "Giorgio Parisi is rewarded for his revolutionary contributions
to the theory of disordered materials and random processes."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Physics may be the only way to prove to the truthers how wrong they are.
Then again because they are truthers, facts probably won't have any effect on them.

Reactions: socratus

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
Physics may be the only way to prove to the truthers how wrong they are.
Then again because they are truthers, facts probably won't have any effect on them.
Big bang, black holes, tetraquark, pentaquark . . . etc are science fiction stories
and "global warming" is from the same series
#
We cannot change the Earth's climate, but behave not like ravagers and poachers, it is possible, . . .
but this subject is not a matter of traditional physics.

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
The 2021 Nobel Prize for Physics
My opinion:
From disordered systems "chaos" - over many (infinite) repetitions
to an order pattern ( by mathematical - statistical analysis ) . . .
Is that correct?

Attachments

• 3-Nobel-Prize.jpg
    3-Nobel-Prize.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
Why the Physics Nobel Honored Climate Science and Complex Systems
The prestigious award finally recognizes work that helped scientists understand
climate change and, more broadly, find order in disorder
By Daniel Garisto on October 7, 2021
------
----------
" Strangely enough, accounting for the infinite /INFINITE/ number of ground states . . . "
. . . researchers in a variety of other disciplines — climate science, computer science,
the planete acience (three-body problem), neuroscience and even evolutionary biology, —
. . . and the traveling salesman problem, and the science of neural connections ---
by the statistical, probability methodes for random processes of movements,
one can solve many problems . . . from infinite states can be found order . . .
even monkey using statistical method "INFINITY" can type "Hamlet"
====

socratus

socratus
Dec 10, 2008
Israel
www.worldnpa.org
OCTOBER 11, 2021
Teaching ancient brains new tricks: New research shows how modern physicists think
by Carnegie Mellon University
------
" One of the most novel findings was that the physicists' brains organized the concepts
into those with measureable versus immeasurable size. Here on Earth for most
of us mortals, everything physical is measureable, given the right ruler, scale or radar gun.
But for a physicist, some concepts like dark matter, neutrinos or the multiverse,
their magnitude is not measureable. And in the physicists' brains, the measureable
versus immeasurable concepts are organized separately."
. . . "duality" would tend to be rated as immeasureable
(i.e., low on the measureable magnitude scale).
An example of a "new" physics dimension significant in 20th century,
post-Newtonian physics is "immeasurability" (a property of dark matter, for example)
that stands in contrast to the "measurability" of classical physics concepts,
(such as torque or velocity).
This new dimension is present in the brains of all university physics faculty tested. . . ."
------
----------
The new scientific ideas in physics were built on effects of immeasurable parameters
--------