Aquarium trying to save sea lion shot twice in face

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

poor guy..

Hope thy can find who ever did this and give them a fine or jail time..

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
funny how there is always money somewhere to "save" some critter that should just be put out of it's misery but none for people.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I hope the next time you're out on the water your boat capsizes and you drown.

Not that I disagree with your sentiments but we do have an invasion of both seals and sea lions on the west coast that are destroying salmon stocks and net pens which causes the release of Atlantic's into the ocean.

avalonstar

Time Out
Nov 16, 2020
How is this kid doing now? It is very important to keep it in clean water, preferably using live rocks, as they keep the water clean for a much longer time than if they were not used. This animal should live in the ocean, where the water is clean and there are no barriers as aquarium glass. He needs space, he needs to move. It can't be kept in such conditions for long, otherwise it will be confused and devoid of any experience in hunting and survival when it returns home. I hope I gave my advice before it's too late

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Not that I disagree with your sentiments but we do have an invasion of both seals and sea lions on the west coast that are destroying salmon stocks and net pens which causes the release of Atlantic's into the ocean.
Gee, cant imagine how that could have happened. "Hey, let's farm Atlantic salmon in the Pacific. It'll be like a huge banquet for seals and shit and then we'll cry like bitches when they eat our stock and wreck our nets and let the Atlantics out into the ocean."
I like it. Man creates problem. Man gets pissed off at nature for it. I mean seriously, what did they think was gonna happen? Sea mammals are pretty damn smart and very adaptable when it comes to how to get food.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Gee, cant imagine how that could have happened. "Hey, let's farm Atlantic salmon in the Pacific. It'll be like a huge banquet for seals and shit and then we'll cry like bitches when they eat our stock and wreck our nets and let the Atlantics out into the ocean."
I like it. Man creates problem. Man gets pissed off at nature for it. I mean seriously, what did they think was gonna happen? Sea mammals are pretty damn smart and very adaptable when it comes to how to get food.
Once upon a time we hunted seals and sea lions. NO more, despite several Native Bands demanding a seal fishery again. It is not just farm fish but wild stocks as well that are being decimated by seals in river mouths. Apparently a seal kills 10 pounds of salmon every day. So if this number is even close to correct 20 seals in an estuary can destroy a salmon run.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To get the salmon to spawn we are going to have somehow replace the natural geomagnetic signature of there home river with an artificial one.

Humans can adjust to a drastically varying magnetic declination, fish can't.

When the N magnetic pole settles, the fish will return and spawn.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Once upon a time we hunted seals and sea lions. NO more, despite several Native Bands demanding a seal fishery again. It is not just farm fish but wild stocks as well that are being decimated by seals in river mouths. Apparently a seal kills 10 pounds of salmon every day. So if this number is even close to correct 20 seals in an estuary can destroy a salmon run.
1) In the case of seals swimming in estuaries eating salmon, that's nature being nature. 2) if you're going to shoot an animal, then make sure you actually f*cking kill it instead of being an asshole and just maiming it and making it suffer.

Reactions: taxslave

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So kill the fishermen so they dont suffer?

Suffering is part of nature.
Nothing natural about getting shot in the face. As for your attempt at gallows humour, am I supposed to assume that fishermen are just stupid twats incapable of doing anything else but fish?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup the seal patrols your net stealing the captured salmon , when you go one way he goes the other . One is left with fish heads and gapping holes in the net . Seal bombs can work but the creatures get used to them and effectiveness is minimized , consequently many fishers simply shoot those attacking the nets . Sad but true .

Reactions: taxslave and petros

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
1) In the case of seals swimming in estuaries eating salmon, that's nature being nature. 2) if you're going to shoot an animal, then make sure you actually f*cking kill it instead of being an asshole and just maiming it and making it suffer.
Where I come from shooting something means it will be dead. Or you better have a real good excuse why not.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Where I come from shooting something means it will be dead. Or you better have a real good excuse why not.
True but from a moving boat , to an animal in a moving sea isn’t all that easy , and tracking your wounded animal is virtually impossible .