All In

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." (Matthew 13:44-46 NIV)

In the parable, the man found treasure and the merchant found a rare gem. Both deemed their finds to be more valuable than all of their previous acquisitions. They both liquidated their possessions in order to possess their finds.

How do these scenarios illustrate the kingdom of heaven?
Are you all in?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I'm all in...

Not afraid of death. I believe death is like the surprise at the bottom of the crackerjack box. I can't erase my past transgressions, but I've learned from them and just try to improve each day.

My dear old Aunt is a real character. She wants written on her gravestone..."See? I told ya I was sick!" :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Heaven is a state of mind.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 'Come, follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will send you out to fish for people.' At once they left their nets and followed him.

Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him." (Matthew 4:18-22 NIV)

Simon Peter, Andrew, James and John illustrate this kingdom of heaven principle. The kingdom of heaven is a personal choice.

The four disciples chose:
1) at once/immediately
2) to leave position, property and people
3) to follow Him.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, 'Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

Initially, Nicodemus came to Jesus under cover of night and on behalf of a group.

"Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus earlier and who was one of their own number, asked, 'Does our law condemn a man without first hearing him to find out what he has been doing?” (John 7:50-51 NIV)

After this, he openly questioned the group's validity in defense of Jesus.

"Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds." (John 19:38-39 NIV)

Then Nicodemus publicly identified with Jesus in His death.

At peril of his life as a member of the Jewish ruling council, Nicodemus made a choice.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, 'Will you give me a drink?” (John 4:6,7 NIV)

An outcast woman met Jesus at her village well.

"The woman said, 'I know that Messiah is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.' Then Jesus declared, 'I, the one speaking to you—I am he.” (John 4:25-26 NIV)

Her moment of Truth arrived.

"Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, 'Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?' They came out of the town and made their way toward him." (John 4:28-30 NIV)

Forgetting her thirst, the woman went immediately to those who despised her to make Him known.

Are you all in?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Nah! I am all out.

"In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, 'Ananias!,

'Yes, Lord,' he answered.

The Lord told him, 'Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.'

'Lord,' Ananias answered, 'I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.'

But the Lord said to Ananias, 'Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” (Acts 9:10-16 NIV)

In peril of his life, Ananias carries out God's command to meet with Saul.

Are you all in?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"You put your whole self in. You take your whole self out. You put your whole self in and you shake it all about."

-- The Gospel of Hokey Pokey, verse 6.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: 'He could not be found, because God had taken him away.' For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (Hebrews 11:4-6 NIV)

Are you all in?