Alec Baldwin fired shot that killed one, wounded another on film set

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Rust' actor says filming should wrap up for good after shooting accident
Author of the article:WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:Oct 27, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Ian A. Hudson
Ian A. Hudson PHOTO BY IAN A. HUDSON /Instagram
Article content
Alec Baldwin’s troubled new movie Rust should wrap for good following a fatal shooting accident last week, according to actor Ian A. Hudson.

The New Mexico-based principal cast member, who plays an outlaw in the film, was on set when Baldwin fired the shot from what he thought was an unloaded gun which killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

As Santa Fe, New Mexico police officials continue to investigate the accident, Hudson is urging director Joel Souza, who was also injured during the rehearsal accident, to shut the western down for good.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

“I really feel like Halyna Hutchins was a huge part of this production,” he tells TMZ , when asked if he thinks the production should resume. “She and Joel were magnificent together… so I personally would say no.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gun not thoroughly checked before Alec Baldwin fired fatal shot
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Lisa Richwine
Publishing date:Oct 27, 2021 • 9 hours ago • 3 minute read • 18 Comments
A photo of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who died after being shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of his movie "Rust", rests among candles at a vigil in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Oct. 23, 2021.
A photo of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who died after being shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of his movie "Rust", rests among candles at a vigil in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Oct. 23, 2021. PHOTO BY KEVIN MOHATT /REUTERS
Article content
SANTA FE — A .45-calibre Colt revolver used on the set of the film “Rust” was not thoroughly checked before being given to actor Alec Baldwin, who fired a live lead bullet in an accidental fatal shooting last week in New Mexico, according to officials and a new court filing.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
New details about the incident emerged on Wednesday during a news conference by Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza and District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies and in an affidavit filed by the sheriff’s department.

Mendoza told reporters there was a complacent attitude toward safety on the set before last Thursday’s shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal.

Hannah Gutierrez, the crew member in charge of weapons on the set, told investigators she had checked guns there but found no “hot rounds” – apparently meaning live ammunition – before the shooting, according to the affidavit.

Hannah Gutierrez, left, and Dave Halls.
Hannah Gutierrez, left, and Dave Halls. FACEBOOK / IMDB
Dave Halls, the film’s assistant director, handed the gun to Baldwin, telling the actor it was “cold” or safe.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

“He advised he should have checked all of them, but didn’t,” Halls told police, according to the affidavit. Halls was referring to the barrels of the revolver.

Halls had been fired from a previous movie set in 2019 over a mishap with a gun, production company Rocket Soul said on Monday. He has made no public comment on the incident.

Mendoza and Carmack-Altwies said while no criminal charges have been filed, they are not ruling out that possibility.

“All options are on the table. … No one has been ruled out at this point,” Carmack-Altwies said of potential charges.

Legal experts have said that criminal charges are possible but not likely against Baldwin.

The shooting has sent shockwaves through Hollywood, prompting a debate about safety protocols in film and television – including whether certain types of guns used as props should be banned – and working conditions on low-budget productions.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Gutierrez, whose job is formally called the film crew’s armorer, said ammunition was not secured on the set during a lunch break before the shooting, the affidavit showed. It quoted her as saying that firearms were secured inside a safe during the break and that no live ammunition is ever kept on a movie set.

“Only a few people” had access to the safe and knew the combination to open it, Gutierrez said, according to the affidavit.

Authorities have collected three firearms, 500 rounds of ammunition – some believed to be live bullets – and several pieces of clothing, Mendoza said. Some of the ballistic evidence is being sent to an FBI crime lab for analysis, Mendoza added.

Authorities have the firearm used in the shooting and recovered the bullet from the shoulder of director Joel Souza, who was wounded but released from the hospital, Mendoza said. It appears the same bullet struck Souza and Hutchins, Mendoza added.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Mendoza said the gun used by Baldwin was an Italian-made Pietta Long Colt revolver.

“We would consider it a live round – a bullet, live – because it did fire from the weapon and obviously caused the death of Ms. Hutchins and injured Mr. Souza,” Mendoza said.

Baldwin, 63, serves as a co-producer of “Rust,” a Western film set in 1880s Kansas. Production on the Bonanza Creek Ranch, near Santa Fe, has been halted.

Mendoza said Baldwin, Halls and Gutierrez all are cooperating with the investigation.

Asked about the use of real weapons on a movie set, the sheriff said, “I think the industry has had a record recently of being safe. I think there was some complacency on this set. And I think there are some safety issues that need to be addressed by the industry and possibly by the state of New Mexico.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Before the incident, camera operators had walked off the set to protest working conditions.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Alec Baldwin attends DreamWorks Animation's
Charges not ruled out in shooting on Alec Baldwin film: report
Donald J. Trump Jr. arrives to speak at a rally on July 3, 2021 in Sarasota, Florida.
‘F*** HIM’: Donald Trump Jr. mocks Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ shooting via T-shirt
David Halls (IMDB)
Assistant director who handed Alec Baldwin deadly weapon was axed from 2019 movie over gun incident
Alec Baldwin speaks on the phone in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office in Santa Fe, N.M., after he was questioned about a shooting on the set of the film
Investigators recover ammunition from Baldwin movie shooting scene

Baldwin was drawing a revolver across his body and pointing it at a camera while rehearsing when the weapon fired, according to court documents. There is no video footage of the incident, Mendoza said.

The film’s producers have hired the law firm Jenner & Block to investigate the shooting. They said the lawyers “will have full discretion about who to interview and any conclusions they draw.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ireland Baldwin receives threatening messages following dad Alec's shooting incident
Publishing date:Oct 28, 2021 • 16 hours ago • 2 minute read • 13 Comments
Ireland Baldwin attends the AE x Young Money Collab and Fall '19 Campaign celebration in New York City, July 15, 2019.
Ireland Baldwin attends the AE x Young Money Collab and Fall '19 Campaign celebration in New York City, July 15, 2019. PHOTO BY GONZALO MARROQUIN /Getty Images / Files
Article content
Ireland Baldwin has received “threatening comments” in the wake of her dad, Alec Baldwin, being involved in an accidental shooting on the set of Rust .

The model thanked a fan for sharing a positive story about the actor after she’d been deluged by hostile and “abhorrent” emails, texts and calls following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injury of director Joel Souza.

Ireland shared a screenshot of a comment from a fan who recalled their experience working for the production company of Alec’s 2000 children’s movie, Thomas and the Magic Railroad , and told how the 30 Rock star’s only rider request was that he “had milk and cereal in his hotel room for when his daughter was visiting.”

The Instagram user added: “That was it. That was the whole rider. I’ll always remember that.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Ireland captioned her post: “Amongst some of the most abhorrent and threatening comments, emails, text messages, and voicemails I’ve been getting… this beautiful comment stands alone.

“I know my dad, you simply don’t. I love you, Dad.”

Earlier this week, Ireland had vowed to take a social media break following the tragedy.

Alongside an Instagram video of her mum Kim Basinger, Ireland – who turned 26 on Oct. 23 – wrote: “It’s been a heartbreaking and weird couple of days.

“I’m going to take a little break on here other than some required posts I have to post for work in the upcoming week.

“Thank you again to everyone who’s reached out and wished me a happy birthday. For now, I’ll leave you with a video of my mom dancing in a goth bar.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Ireland previously blasted Candance Owens after she criticized her father on social media and claimed the accidental shooting was “poetic justice” after his criticism of Donald Trump.

She fired back: “You are the most disgusting, human, cancerous human being I’ve ever come across.

“Regardless of your foul opinions most of the time, the fact that you would disrespect the life of a woman who was accidentally and tragically killed… Shame on you.”

She added: “Yup… I’m going to go ahead and take that Instagram break. I am ashamed to breath the same air as this woman.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Nicolas Cage not happy with 'Rust' film set armourer during his film shoot
Publishing date:Oct 28, 2021 • 12 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Nicolas Cage speaks onstage during the 2020 Film Independent Spirit Awards on February 8, 2020 in Santa Monica, California.
Nicolas Cage speaks onstage during the 2020 Film Independent Spirit Awards on February 8, 2020 in Santa Monica, California. PHOTO BY TOMMASO BODDI /Getty Images
Article content
Nicolas Cage had issues with the armourer at the centre of the Alec Baldwin set shooting drama while making a film with her earlier this year.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is among the persons of interest in a police investigation surrounding a loaded gun accident, which cost cinematographer Halyna Hutchins her life and wounded director Joel Souza.

Baldwin was handed the weapon for a scene rehearsal on Rust in Santa Fe, New Mexico and told it was a “cold” gun, when it was actually loaded with a live round.

Gutierrez-Reed told authorities that prior to the scene, and during the movie’s lunch break, the gun was locked in a safe and very few people had access to it.

Police officials in Santa Fe, New Mexico have confirmed they will be looking into Gutierrez-Reed’s history to determine if any negligence took place, and now a key grip on Cage’s western The Old Way has revealed the actor took issue with the armourer for firing shots without warning on the set.

“Nic walked by and she fired off a round at the ground,” Stu Brumbaugh says. “None of us were wearing hearing protection, none of us were prepared for a gunshot to go off, and Nic had walked by and he was verbally and visually upset about the fact that a gun went off next to him and he wasn’t wearing any hearing protection.”

Meanwhile, Santa Fe Sheriff Adan Mendoza is keen to get to the bottom of complacency on the set of Rust, telling Good Morning America, “There was some disorganization and some safety issues and protocols that weren’t properly followed.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Reactions: taxslave

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Armourer on 'Rust' film set says producers overruled her safety requests
Reuters
Lisa Richwine
Publishing date:Oct 29, 2021 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • 7 Comments
A sign directs people to the road that leads to the Bonanza Creek Ranch where the movie "Rust" is being filmed in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Oct. 22, 2021.
A sign directs people to the road that leads to the Bonanza Creek Ranch where the movie "Rust" is being filmed in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Oct. 22, 2021. PHOTO BY SAM WASSON /Getty Images
Article content
LOS ANGELES — The armourer who oversaw guns used in filming of Western movie “Rust” said producers allowed for an “unsafe” movie set and rejected her requests for training and other measures before actor Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed a cinematographer.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Attorneys for Hannah Gutierrez, 24, issued the first public statement on her behalf late on Thursday, a week after the fatal shooting by Baldwin of Halyna Hutchins on the “Rust” set outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Safety was the “number one priority” for Gutierrez, who had been hired as armourer and assistant prop master, according to the statement from attorneys Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence.

Holding both positions “made it extremely difficult to focus on her job as an armourer,” the statement said, adding that Gutierrez fought for training, days to maintain weapons, and proper time to prepare for scenes with gunfire.

Gutierrez “ultimately was overruled by production and her department,” the attorneys said.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“The whole production set became unsafe due to various factors, including lack of safety meetings,” they added. “This was not the fault of Hannah.”

Authorities in Santa Fe are investigating the incident and say they have not ruled out criminal charges. A key question is how live ammunition made its way into the .45-calibre Colt revolver that Baldwin was using after he was told the gun was “cold,” an industry term meaning it was safe to use.

Gutierrez “has no idea where the live rounds came from,” her attorneys said. She and the prop master “gained control over the guns and she never witnessed anyone shoot live rounds with these guns and nor would she permit that.”

Guns on the set were locked up at night and at lunch, “and there’s no way a single one of them was unaccounted for or being shot by crew members,” they added.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Hannah is devastated and completely beside herself over the events that have transpired,” the statement said.

A spokeswoman for Rust Movie Productions had no immediate comment on Friday. The company has hired a law firm to investigate the incident and previously said it had not been made aware of safety problems on the set.

Baldwin, who has said he is heartbroken and cooperating with authorities, also served as a producer on the movie.

The shooting has shocked Hollywood, prompting a debate about safety protocols in film and television – including whether certain types of guns used as props should be banned – and working conditions on low-budget productions.

Authorities have collected three firearms from the “Rust” set on Bonanza Creek Ranch and 500 rounds of ammunition, including some believed to be live, Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said on Wednesday.

Detectives recovered more guns and ammunition from a white prop truck on the ranch, according to an inventory released on Friday. The items included 12 revolvers, a rifle, an empty ammunition box and a “45 Colt round.” The list did not provide details on the type of ammunition found in the truck.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Transcript offers insight into moments after Halyna Hutchins was shot on 'Rust' set
Publishing date:Nov 01, 2021 • 13 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Alec Baldwin speaks on the phone in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office in Santa Fe, N.M., after he was questioned about a shooting on the set of the film "Rust" on the outskirts of Santa Fe, Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021.
Alec Baldwin speaks on the phone in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office in Santa Fe, N.M., after he was questioned about a shooting on the set of the film "Rust" on the outskirts of Santa Fe, Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021. PHOTO BY JIM WEBER /Santa Fe New Mexican via AP
Article content
Tragic cinematographer Halyna Hutchins complained of not being able to feel her legs minutes before she died on the set of Rust last month.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
In a new report featuring a transcript from those who were filming with her as Alec Baldwin accidentally shot her with a loaded weapon he was told was a prop gun, it appears that Halyna knew something had gone very wrong as she bled out from a bullet wound.

Los Angeles Times reporters have pieced together the moments following the shooting incident on the set in Santa Fe, New Mexico, based on interviews with the cast and crew.

Baldwin had reportedly been preparing for a scene, in which he drew and fired a gun, and told director Joel Souza, “So I guess I’m gonna take this out, pull it, and go, ‘Bang!’”

As the gun fired, Alec reportedly responded, “What the f*** just happened?”

Halyna Hutchins, director of photography for “Rust”, poses for a selfie photo in this picture obtained from social media.
Halyna Hutchins, director of photography for “Rust”, poses for a selfie photo in this picture obtained from social media. PHOTO BY HALYNAHUTCHINS /Instagram/via REUTERS
Halyna fell into electrician Serge Svetnoy’s arms as she was hit and Souza apparently cried out, “What the f*** was that? That burns!”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
He was hit in the shoulder.

Amid the panic, someone screamed for a medic and Halyna told those near her, “I can’t feel my legs.”

When one crew member said, “Oh, that was no good,” she apparently responded, ‘No. That was no good. That was no good at all.”

The cinematographer was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The film has been shut down with no word on whether the project will ever be completed as Sheriff’s Deputies in Santa Fe continue to investigate the shooting incident.

Meanwhile, Rust assistant director David Halls has broken his silence after it was revealed he was the last person to touch the gun before handing it to Baldwin.

David Halls (IMDB)
David Halls (IMDB)
In a statement he says: “Halyna Hutchins was not just one of the most talented people I’ve worked with, but also a friend.

“I’m shocked and saddened by her death. It’s my hope that this tragedy prompts the industry to re-evaluate its values and practices to ensure no one is harmed through the creative process again… My thoughts are with all who knew and loved Halyna.”

Director Souza previously told police officials that safety protocols call for the set armourer to hand the weapon to the assistant director, who is supposed to check to ensure there are no live rounds in the weapon before handing it to the actor.

One eye witness has denied reports Halls called the gun “cold” before giving it to Baldwin.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ireland Baldwin slammed for gruesome Halloween costume
'We didn't think we would celebrate, but we found some old costumes and blood,' model wrote on Instagram

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Nov 02, 2021 • 19 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
Ireland Baldwin’s bloody Halloween costume drew ire on social media with many calling the outfit “tone deaf.”
Ireland Baldwin’s bloody Halloween costume drew ire on social media with many calling the outfit “tone deaf.” PHOTO BY INSTAGRAM.COM/IRELANDBASINGERBALDWIN
Article content
Ireland Baldwin might want to think twice before assembling next year’s Halloween costume.

Alec Baldwin’s daughter, who pledged to take a break from social media after her dad was involved in the accidental shooting death of of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of Rust last month , returned to Instagram to share pictures of her bloody Halloween outfit.

“ So we stayed in for Halloween this year. There are reporters and paparazzi hanging out all over my street being super fun and invading all my privacy which is always a good time,” the 26-year-old model wrote on Instagram.

“We didn’t think we would celebrate, but we found some old costumes and blood, ate really good food, drank tequila, had a couple friends over, watched a scary movie and had 0 trick or treaters….”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

In the pics, Ireland poses as a dead schoolgirl sporting a tied-up blouse with fake blood dripping from her left eye. In one snap, the daughter of Alec and Kim Basinger playfully sticks her tongue out to lick her musician-boyfriend RAC’s face, who also appears wearing a heavily bloodied white T-shirt.

“ How was your Halloween? Raise your hand if you went as Squid Game this year ,” she concluded in her post.

“I feel like I’m taking crazy pills, what the hell is wrong with these people?” one person wrote according to the British tabloid The Sun .

“Hmmm my father just killed a woman 1 week ago, she actually bled to death, her young son and husband are devastated,” another commented on Reddit . “I KNOW I will dress up as a bloody dead woman, I don’t see why that would be offensive.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“What in the world is this girl thinking?” a third Redditor remarked. “This goes beyond plain bad taste — almost like rubbing it in and not caring for Halyna’s family at all. Why aren’t all the Baldwins just staying off social media right now and showing some respect? I just don’t get it.”

Meanwhile, on Instagram , Ireland’s followers praised the costume with one person writing, “ Glad you outwitted the paps and very glad your wonderful father got away and celebrated Halloween with your siblings and his wife …. sending much love to you and yours .”

A second suggested she should head to Puerto Vallarta for “b ig parties, bonfires and fireworks.”

Last month, Ireland got into a spat with political pundit Candace Owens after the conservative talk show host appeared to mock Alec following Hutchins’ death with a tweet that read, “Alec Baldwin spent 4 years dedicated to painting Donald Trump and his supporters as evil murderers. What has happened to Alec would be an example of poetic justice if it weren’t for the actual innocent people that were murdered by him. Pray for their families. So sad.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Sharing a photo of Owens and tagging her, Ireland responded: “You are the most disgusting, hateful, cancerous human being I’ve ever come across. Regardless of your foul opinions most of the time, the fact that you would disrespect the life of a woman who was accidentally and tragically killed … Shame on you.”

The pair eventually patched things up, with Ireland saying she was going to press pause on her social media posts.

“Yup … I’m going to go ahead and take that Instagram break.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com
1635936045786.png
https://www.reddit.com/r/HilariaBaldwin/comments/qkkzkl https://www.reddit.com/r/HilariaBaldwin/comments/qkouwi

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Ireland Baldwin slammed for gruesome Halloween costume
'We didn't think we would celebrate, but we found some old costumes and blood,' model wrote on Instagram

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Nov 02, 2021 • 19 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
Ireland Baldwin’s bloody Halloween costume drew ire on social media with many calling the outfit “tone deaf.”
Ireland Baldwin’s bloody Halloween costume drew ire on social media with many calling the outfit “tone deaf.” PHOTO BY INSTAGRAM.COM/IRELANDBASINGERBALDWIN
Article content
Ireland Baldwin might want to think twice before assembling next year’s Halloween costume.

Alec Baldwin’s daughter, who pledged to take a break from social media after her dad was involved in the accidental shooting death of of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of Rust last month , returned to Instagram to share pictures of her bloody Halloween outfit.

“ So we stayed in for Halloween this year. There are reporters and paparazzi hanging out all over my street being super fun and invading all my privacy which is always a good time,” the 26-year-old model wrote on Instagram.

“We didn’t think we would celebrate, but we found some old costumes and blood, ate really good food, drank tequila, had a couple friends over, watched a scary movie and had 0 trick or treaters….”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

In the pics, Ireland poses as a dead schoolgirl sporting a tied-up blouse with fake blood dripping from her left eye. In one snap, the daughter of Alec and Kim Basinger playfully sticks her tongue out to lick her musician-boyfriend RAC’s face, who also appears wearing a heavily bloodied white T-shirt.

“ How was your Halloween? Raise your hand if you went as Squid Game this year ,” she concluded in her post.

“I feel like I’m taking crazy pills, what the hell is wrong with these people?” one person wrote according to the British tabloid The Sun .

“Hmmm my father just killed a woman 1 week ago, she actually bled to death, her young son and husband are devastated,” another commented on Reddit . “I KNOW I will dress up as a bloody dead woman, I don’t see why that would be offensive.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“What in the world is this girl thinking?” a third Redditor remarked. “This goes beyond plain bad taste — almost like rubbing it in and not caring for Halyna’s family at all. Why aren’t all the Baldwins just staying off social media right now and showing some respect? I just don’t get it.”

Meanwhile, on Instagram , Ireland’s followers praised the costume with one person writing, “ Glad you outwitted the paps and very glad your wonderful father got away and celebrated Halloween with your siblings and his wife …. sending much love to you and yours .”

A second suggested she should head to Puerto Vallarta for “b ig parties, bonfires and fireworks.”

Last month, Ireland got into a spat with political pundit Candace Owens after the conservative talk show host appeared to mock Alec following Hutchins’ death with a tweet that read, “Alec Baldwin spent 4 years dedicated to painting Donald Trump and his supporters as evil murderers. What has happened to Alec would be an example of poetic justice if it weren’t for the actual innocent people that were murdered by him. Pray for their families. So sad.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Sharing a photo of Owens and tagging her, Ireland responded: “You are the most disgusting, hateful, cancerous human being I’ve ever come across. Regardless of your foul opinions most of the time, the fact that you would disrespect the life of a woman who was accidentally and tragically killed … Shame on you.”

The pair eventually patched things up, with Ireland saying she was going to press pause on her social media posts.

“Yup … I’m going to go ahead and take that Instagram break.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com
View attachment 10649
https://www.reddit.com/r/HilariaBaldwin/comments/qkkzkl https://www.reddit.com/r/HilariaBaldwin/comments/qkouwi
Well, isn't that special.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Attorney for 'Rust' armourer suggests sabotage on Baldwin set
Reuters
Lisa Richwine
Publishing date:Nov 03, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Hannah Gutierrez
Hannah Gutierrez PHOTO BY HANNAH GUTIERREZ /Facebook
Article content
LOS ANGELES — A lawyer for the armourer who oversaw weapons used on the “Rust” movie set suggested Wednesday that someone deliberately put a live round into the gun used by Alec Baldwin when he accidentally shot dead a cinematographer.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Jason Bowles said his client, Hannah Gutierrez, had pulled ammunition from a box that she believed contained only dummy rounds that were incapable of firing. He said he thought it was possible that someone purposely placed real bullets, which look similar to dummies, into the box.

“We’re afraid that could have been what happened here, that somebody intended to sabotage this set with a live round intentionally placed in a box of dummies,” Bowles said on ABC television’s “Good Morning America.”

“We’re not saying anybody had any intent there was going to be a tragedy of homicide,” he added, “but they wanted to do something to cause a safety incident on set. That’s what we believe happened.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Alec Baldwin speaks on the phone in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office in Santa Fe, N.M., after he was questioned about a shooting on the set of the film
Alec Baldwin calls movie shooting death 'one in a trillion episode'
A sign directs people to the road that leads to the Bonanza Creek Ranch where the movie
Armourer on 'Rust' film set says producers overruled her safety requests

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
A spokeswoman for producers Rust Movie Productions had no comment on Bowles’ remarks. The company has said it is investigating the incident and had received no official complaints about safety on the set in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Local authorities are investigating the matter and no charges have been filed against anyone involved.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on Oct. 21 when a gun Baldwin was holding released a live bullet, police said. Baldwin had been told by assistant director Dave Halls that the gun was “cold,” an industry term meaning it is safe to use.

Halyna Hutchins, director of photography for “Rust”, poses for a selfie photo in this picture obtained from social media.
Halyna Hutchins, director of photography for “Rust”, poses for a selfie photo in this picture obtained from social media. PHOTO BY HALYNAHUTCHINS /Instagram/via REUTERS
Bowles said Gutierrez had checked the gun before giving it to Halls. She spun the cylinder and showed Halls each of the rounds, which she believed were six dummy rounds, he said. Halls then took the gun into the church where Baldwin was rehearsing a scene.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Before the shooting, camera operators had quit the film to protest what they said were long hours and other objectionable working conditions, authorities in Santa Fe have said.

Asked who would intentionally place live ammunition with dummy rounds, Bowles said on NBC’s “Today” show that he believed it could be a person who wanted “to prove a point, to say that they’re disgruntled, they’re unhappy.”

“And we know that people had already walked off the set the day before,” he said.

Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, has said he is heartbroken and is cooperating with authorities. On Tuesday, he shared a message on social media from a crew member who disputed reports of chaos and a lax attitude toward safety on the set.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

An attorney for Halls did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Husband of cinematographer killed in Alec Baldwin shooting hires lawyer
Reuters
David Thomas
Publishing date:Nov 03, 2021 • 7 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A photo of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who died after being shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of his movie "Rust", rests among candles at a vigil in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Oct. 23, 2021.
A photo of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who died after being shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of his movie "Rust", rests among candles at a vigil in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Oct. 23, 2021. PHOTO BY KEVIN MOHATT /REUTERS
Article content
Matt Hutchins, whose wife Halyna Hutchins was accidentally shot dead by actor Alec Baldwin on the set of the film “Rust” last month, has hired a Los Angeles-based law firm in connection with the shooting, a spokeswoman said.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Brian Panish of personal injury firm Panish Shea Boyle Ravipudi, who earlier this year helped secure a $2.2 billion settlement for victims of Southern California wildfires and mudslides, will be the lead attorney, said Hutchins spokeswoman Amanda Duckworth.

Panish has also represented the mother and children of pop singer Michael Jackson in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Panish declined to comment. Legal experts have said Halyna Hutchins’ family could file civil lawsuits seeking financial damages for negligence after a gun Baldwin was holding released a live bullet. Baldwin had been told the gun was safe to use.

Hutchins has been photographed embracing and talking with Baldwin in the days after the shooting.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Hutchins, a corporate associate at U.S. law firm Latham & Watkins, is the latest to hire legal counsel in the wake of the Oct. 21 shooting that also injured director Joel Souza.

Last week, Baldwin and other “Rust” producers hired law firm Jenner & Block to investigate the shooting. “Rust” armourer Hannah Gutierrez has retained Jason Bowles, a former federal prosecutor based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, has said he is heartbroken and is cooperating with authorities.