2024 CFL Season

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
I am an Argos season ticket holder. Last year was a great regular season with a disappointing finish. This year the Argos have lost a lot of free agents. And our QB is kind of suspended. So wasn't expecting much. Over the past several years when I have gone to a BC @ Toronto game it has always been a close hard fought game regardless of who was where on the standings. Tonight was no exception. Argos scored first but missed the PAT (new kicker -- needs work). The wheels came off the boat for a bit as BC scored 20 (they also fumbled a PAT). This 20 included a TD from a fumble by our QB. However, the Argos regrouped and trailed 20-16 at the half. The second half they played very well. The defence started to come together. They sacked the BC QB several times. They got him to fumble once on 3rd and 1. BC recovered but short of line of gain.

There were a couple controversial calls. BC facing 2nd and long "completed" a pass to a receiver heading out of bounds. He got 1 foot in and the refs called it a catch. However, replay showed the BC receiver bobbled the ball slightly after the catch. I have seen several calls reversed in the NFL for bobbles less than this one. However, I guess the CFL rules are more forgiving as it withstood the Argo challenge.

Also in the dying minutes of the game, the Argos defence had forced BC into a 3rd and 25 at about the 5 with BC down 29-27. They Argos had the BC QB running back to the end zone then hoisting the ball out of bounds. The refs dropped the flag and called intentional grounding. The stands were rather loud so I could not here the refs but one of 2 things happened. They either did not call him doing it in the end zone or Toronto declined the penalty (is that possible)? If the penalty was enforced it should have been a safety and a free kick. Instead it was first and goal at the 1 for the Argos. They immediately scored a TD. Had they been able to get the PAT, the game would have been over. They could not. But they did manage to stop BC from scoring on the next drive so they did win the game 35-27.

As always, a very exciting game. I don't think the Argos are as good as last year but their defense is promising and they seem to be playing more as a team this year without the flashy players. We need to fix our kicking game. Our punter was amazing but the 2 PATS are unacceptable.

We have a bye in week 2 (get a 10th team -- I hate these byes). Then we host Edmonton.

Great start to the season for your team. They talk about smaller crowds in Toronto but it usually appears to me the fans in attendance are an active bunch and have a lot of fun. Kudos to the guy who appeared to only be wearing blue paint and a hard hat.

As for the game, the outcome was in doubt until the final minute and included points where both sides appeared headed for a big win. Wynton McManis is a beast. Brinkman stood out as well. Interesting to see the D step up in the 4th given the new defensive coordinators who seemed to call a great game. I don't think they missed Corey Mace other than he is a good guy. Kadeem Carey also appears to be an adequate replacement for A.J. Ouellette.

Bad fumble by Dukes to give up the TD but overall a good game. They said it was a loss of down penalty on the play you mentioned and not sure they got it right. Might have been the first 3rd and 21 gamble from their own one yard line ever. Argos may have got a break later on the Rasheed Bailey play that was not called a fumble. Lirim will be okay. Even the new receiver looked good.

Playing Edmonton will not be easy. Should be fun to see Bethel Thompson back. Enjoy the season.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Did okay with Proline as well turning $50 into $143 picking wins by underdogs Montreal and Toronto. Some of that money kicks back to the league.

I can see I will be tempted again this week with Ottawa 7.5 point underdogs at home to Winnipeg, Calgary +9.5 in B.C., and Edmonton at home 6 point underdogs to Montreal. Very good chance all three will win imo. Edmonton beating Montreal is least likely.

Always fun to see the power rankings. Here are mine:

1) Montreal - cup champs open with a win, hard to argue
2)Toronto - multi dimensional, won a tough first game
3)Calgary - Catch of the week by Reggie Begelton. Defense will need to be better to win in B.C.
4)Hamilton - can't look past Sask. Encouraging loss to Calgary if there is such a thing
5)Edmonton - deserve a ranking. Defense has to get better results
6)B.C. - Will go as far as Vernon Adams will take them
7) Sask - don't confuse winning with being good. That said the Riders are tied for 1st.
8) Winnipeg - Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, frigging micro chips.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
60% chance of rain tonight in Ottawa which might favour the Bombers if it can help give Collaros the time he needs to find an open man. Winnipeg -6.5 last I saw. Many are seeing last week as a blip although I see it as a trend.

I took Ottawa to win at 3.25 and feel good. Predicting a Devonte Dedman return td probably on a punt that starts the ball rolling.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
60% chance of rain tonight in Ottawa which might favour the Bombers if it can help give Collaros the time he needs to find an open man. Winnipeg -6.5 last I saw. Many are seeing last week as a blip although I see it as a trend.

I took Ottawa to win at 3.25 and feel good. Predicting a Devonte Dedman return td probably on a punt that starts the ball rolling.
Proline or Bet365?

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Proline or Bet365?
Proline. via the local lottery retailer. $20 bet paid $65 last night. Kept me interested to the end though. Funny to see the Bombers go back out in that torrential rain but desperate times call for desperate measures. I can see O'Shea arguing it's hardly coming down. We don't get rain like that in our area.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Proline. via the local lottery retailer. $20 bet paid $65 last night. Kept me interested to the end though. Funny to see the Bombers go back out in that torrential rain but desperate times call for desperate measures. I can see O'Shea arguing it's hardly coming down. We don't get rain like that in our area.
Sweet! The lightning was legit but worth waiting, the rain was prairie style. Sometimes with wind, sometimes without but they dump a lot of water quickly.

Loved tthe TOD and then the safety to take it away from Bombers to win.

Als at Elk tonight. Let's see how Fajardo does.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob the dog

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Arbys are killing it.
A good two points for the team with a little drama at the end. They can build off what they did last night.

I wasn't that impressed with Dru Brown and might have used Dustin Crum more but they want Brown to be the guy. Hard to be critical playing through rain like that but did think at one point Mason Fine might be a good addition.

RedBlacks have good receivers. Addison, Hardy, Rhymes, and Acklin are as good as any imo. Nick Mardner was #2 overall pick in this years draft and started at wideout.

Edmonton tonight over Montreal. MBT has another 300 yd game.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A good two points for the team with a little drama at the end. They can build off what they did last night.

I wasn't that impressed with Dru Brown and might have used Dustin Crum more but they want Brown to be the guy. Hard to be critical playing through rain like that but did think at one point Mason Fine might be a good addition.

RedBlacks have good receivers. Addison, Hardy, Rhymes, and Acklin are as good as any imo. Nick Mardner was #2 overall pick in this years draft and started at wideout.

Edmonton tonight over Montreal. MBT has another 300 yd game.
It might be another wet one.

1000015719.jpg

PS the green thru purple is climate change wildfires.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Sweet! The lightning was legit but worth waiting, the rain was prairie style. Sometimes with wind, sometimes without but they dump a lot of water quickly.

Loved tthe TOD and then the safety to take it away from Bombers to win.

Last I saw was Montreal -2.5 point favorites. They're missing some guys and Edmonton needs a win.

Talking about dumping a lot of water quickly, Bulgaria is waist deep in water.

Storm warning for Edmonton tonight. I'm going to hate if the Oilers take over the Elks. Worst possible scenario to be second fiddle.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
They say you can't win them all. 1 / 5 for week two and the Pinto wagon is $5 further from my driveway.

Probably both good and lucky is the best combination but choosing between the two lucky may pay off more often. Put the Riders in that boat and the 4 points up on the Bombers with 3 head to head games pretty well ensures chances are good to finish ahead in the standings. Same recipe the Bombers have used in recent years only this year Ottawa won. Kudos to the Riders for being in the right place at the right time. It will bode well for Mosaic.

Edmonton, Calgary, and Hamilton all could have / should have won their games and have strong teams. I liked my bets even though I lost.

Week 3 for me;

Ottawa +7.5 in Montreal is a tease. Als have a better D and should cover. Home opener and all that GC stuff. Better O as well.

B.C. +1.5 in Winnipeg is a good bet. Moneyline paying 2.05 for the win. Winnipeg is floundering. Load up Petros.

Edmonton +6.5 and 3.00 to win has a tough opponent in the Argos. Nice payout but risky bet imo. Not that it can't be done.

Hamilton +1.5 and 2.25 to win for the Rider home opener seems decent. Back to back games are always tough and Sask lost some guys.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Who would you pick now between Cody Fajardo and Trevor Harris? C.F. is looking good in Montreal. Question will be if they resign Harris in Sask which I think is going in the wrong direction regardless of short term results.

If the Riders can start 3 - 0 I'll take back some of the things I said about Jeremy O'Day. They've been lucky but points are points and good for them for that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who would you pick now between Cody Fajardo and Trevor Harris? C.F. is looking good in Montreal. Question will be if they resign Harris in Sask which I think is going in the wrong direction regardless of short term results.

If the Riders can start 3 - 0 I'll take back some of the things I said about Jeremy O'Day. They've been lucky but points are points and good for them for that.
You can thank Calvillo for steering him. He is still the best in all football. The kid and I met him after his last game. He wasnt there mentally. The TBI was obvious but he still signed an autograph and photos.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Argos won their second game. They are now 2-0. Although the win against the Eskimos (aka Elks) was good, it was in doubt until the end but Edmonton kind of blew it. Edmonton received a punt with about 1:30 left with score tied 36-36. The returner touched the out of bounds line at the 5 so they were stuck deep. For one of the few times all game the Argos defence held and they punted back. Toronto got a good run to the Edmonton 30 with about 30 seconds left on the clock and 1st down. They did a run for 0 yards. Edmonton took their first timeout. Argos did another run for 0 yards. Now about 21 seconds left on clock. Edmonton did NOT take their second time out. Argos kick game winning FG with 0:00 on clock. Game over. I am still wondering what they are saving that timeout for?

The Argos have some work to do. They were unable to stop Edmonton on defence all game. The Edmonton QB could pass at will. The only time they got an incomplete pass was when the QB missed the target. And for the second game in a row, Toronto gifted the opposition with a free TD due to a botched offensive play.

In a scheduling quirk, the first 4 weeks of the Argos season is: HOME GAME, BYE, HOME GAME, HOME GAME.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Argos won their second game. They are now 2-0. Although the win against the Eskimos (aka Elks) was good, it was in doubt until the end but Edmonton kind of blew it. Edmonton received a punt with about 1:30 left with score tied 36-36. The returner touched the out of bounds line at the 5 so they were stuck deep. For one of the few times all game the Argos defence held and they punted back. Toronto got a good run to the Edmonton 30 with about 30 seconds left on the clock and 1st down. They did a run for 0 yards. Edmonton took their first timeout. Argos did another run for 0 yards. Now about 21 seconds left on clock. Edmonton did NOT take their second time out. Argos kick game winning FG with 0:00 on clock. Game over. I am still wondering what they are saving that timeout for?

The Argos have some work to do. They were unable to stop Edmonton on defence all game. The Edmonton QB could pass at will. The only time they got an incomplete pass was when the QB missed the target. And for the second game in a row, Toronto gifted the opposition with a free TD due to a botched offensive play.

In a scheduling quirk, the first 4 weeks of the Argos season is: HOME GAME, BYE, HOME GAME, HOME GAME.
It was two equally matched teams. I have to admit that Chris Jones has really turned the Elk around.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Good one coming for the Argos this week with Montreal in town. Don't count the Argos out.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the Rider game was closer than the score indicated. 24 points off turnovers was the key. Hamilton did themselves no favours.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Smaller crowd than I expected for the home opener in Regina Sunday. Especially with the team out to a good start. Looked like Calgary.