2019 deaths of notables

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Another year to keep track of deaths of notables. Ave atque vale.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Super Dave is gone? Damn.

When I heard the Captain died I played some of their tunes. Sure brought back memories.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Meeeen Geeeen got his start in radio & tv here in Gopherland and was notorious for hitting the bottle just like Hulk Hogan hit his opponents. He was said to be a great story teller after he imbibed. Was very popular among pro wrasslin fans here in the tundra. Will be greatly missed.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Better find out what happened to the last one that stumbled into, what he seems to call, 'the bottomless pit' that is his mind, . . . on second thought, jump right in, how could your world possibly get any more bleak?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mathematician Sir Michael Atiyah dies aged 89

By Pallab Ghosh
Science correspondent, BBC News
12 January 2019

One of the world's foremost mathematicians, Prof Sir Michael Atiyah, has died at the age of 89.

Sir Michael, who worked at Cambridge University before he retired, made outstanding contributions to geometry and topology.

Sir Michael was a recipient of the highest honour in mathematics, a Fields Medal. He died on Friday.

His brother Joe told BBC News he had been one of the most important mathematicians of the 20th Century.

"He has been described to me by more than one professor of mathematics as the best mathematician in this country since Sir Isaac Newton," Mr Atiyah said.

'True internationalist'

Sir Michael was also a former president of the Royal Society, which is one of the highest honours a UK scientist can receive.

Prof Venki Ramakrishnan, the Royal Society's current president, described him as a "great mathematician".

"Sir Michael Atiyah was also a wonderful person who, as president of the Royal Society, showed that he was a true internationalist and a fervent supporter for investing in talent," he added.

Sir Michael was best known for his co-development of a branch of mathematics called topological K-theory and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.

His research also involved deep insights relating to mathematical concepts known as "vector bundles".

'Greatly missed'

His work in these areas has helped theoretical physicists to advance their understanding of quantum field theory and general relativity.

He was also an occasional poet - a talent which was highlighted by Prof Robbert Dijkgraaf, the director of the Institute of Advanced Studies in New Jersey, where Sir Michael once worked on the research centre's website.

"Sir Michael Atiyah was a dear mentor, friend, and role model, unmatched in intellect and energy," he said.

"His legacy in mathematics and physics will last forever. His passing is a terrible loss, and we extend our deepest condolences to his family.

"He will be greatly missed by friends and colleagues around the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46850763

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Windsor Davies: It Ain't Half Hot Mum actor dies aged 88

19 January 2019
BBC News

Windsor Davies (right) in It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Actor and star of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Windsor Davies, has died.

Davies, 88, who was best known as the sergeant major in the TV series, died on Thursday, his family said.

Born in Canning Town, London, he returned to his father's home village, Nant-y-Moel in Bridgend county, when World War Two broke out.

His daughter Jane Davies said he and her mother, who died in September, left a family "who will all remember them with love, laughter and gratitude".

The couple, who were married for 62 years, had retired to France. They had five children.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum co-star Melvyn Hayes, who played Gunner/Bombardier Gloria Beaumont, called him "one of the good guys".

Paying tribute to Davies, he said: "I considered him my best friend, even though we hadn't been in contact for many years.

"To work with him was a pleasure, a sheer delight because he was so generous in his work.

"You couldn't buy him a drink because you'd go into a public house and they'd say 'Windsor has put some money behind the counter for you'.

"He was nothing like the character he played - he was a charming, quietly-spoken, gentle human being."

Tony Robinson ✔

@Tony_Robinson

“Whispering grass don’t tell them who kissed there long ago. Why tell them all your secrets, the trees don’t have to know.” Whispering Grass. UK No1 with Don Estelle 1975. RIP Windsor Davies # #itainthalfhotmum #windsordavies

1,926 Likes

12:04 PM - Jan 19, 2019

Davies and It Ain't Half Hot Mum co-star Don Estelle also enjoyed a number one hit in 1975 when they recorded a version of Whispering Grass in character, a novelty hit which sold more than one million copies.

Blackadder star Sir Tony Robinson paid tribute to Davies by quoting lyrics from Whispering Grass, while Downton Abbey actor Paul Putner said he was a "gifted actor" and "one of most generous, lovely blokes you could ever wish to meet".

'Allo 'Allo and Emmerdale star Vicki Michelle shared a picture of herself with Davies and tweeted he was one of her "favourite people", and a "genuinely lovely generous man" with a "huge presence and a huge heart".

The Veterans Charity tweeted: "RIP Windsor Davies, a National Serviceman who served in Egypt and Libya with the East Surrey Regiment."

Davies also starred alongside Donald Sinden as two rival antique dealers in the long-running ITV sitcom Never The Twain.

Although overshadowed by It Ain't Half Hot Mum, it ran for more than 60 episodes.

In 1978, Davies also featured in one-off BBC drama Grand Slam, which gained cult status and was still fondly remembered years later - gaining a new lease of life with a DVD release.

Referencing his character in the film, Welsh screen star Michael Sheen tweeted: "'Go the whole hog, Mog!' He most certainly did. Mined a golden seam of barely contained Welsh fury to glorious effect."

Davies, who retired from acting in his 70s, was also the voice of Sergeant Major Zero in the 1980s sci-fi series Terrahawks. As well as stage appearances, he had roles in more than 20 films, including two Carry Ons.

But he will be remembered most fondly for playing Battery Sergeant Major "Shut Up" Williams in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, which ran for 56 episodes between 1974 and 1981.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46931129

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Clive Swift: Keeping Up Appearances star dies at 82

1 February 2019
BBC News

Swift spent six years playing Richard Bucket to Patricia Routledge's Hyacinth Bucket

Actor Clive Swift, known to millions as Hyacinth Bucket's hen-pecked husband Richard in BBC One's 90s sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, has died aged 82.

Swift, who spent 10 years at the RSC before breaking into television, also acted in such series as Peak Practice, Born and Bred and The Old Guys.

He spent six years playing Richard opposite Dame Patricia Routledge.

The role saw him patiently tolerate her ham-fisted and invariably thwarted attempts at social climbing.

Off-screen he co-founded The Actors Centre, a meeting place for members of his profession in central London.

Image caption He went on to appear with Roger Lloyd Pack in The Old Guys

Born in Liverpool in 1936, he had three children with his ex-wife, the novelist Margaret Drabble.

Swift's many roles included a part in Alfred Hitchcock's 1972 film Frenzy and as King Arthur's adopted father in 1981 film Excalibur.

Many years later, he would play Hitchcock in a BBC radio play called Strangers on a Film.

Swift made a number of appearances in Doctor Who, most recently in the 2007 episode Voyage of the Damned.

According to his agent, the actor died at his home on Friday after a short illness, surrounded by his family.

View image on Twitter

John Challis ✔
@BeingBoycie

So sorry to hear that Clive Swift has http://died.My condolences to his family and to his son Joe. Lovely to see them here together enjoying a bit of cricket.

650 Likes
4:36 PM - Feb 1, 2019

James Dreyfus ✔
@DreyfusJames

Loved this extremely talented, subtle actor. RIP the wonderful Clive Swift.

1,788 Likes
4:14 PM - Feb 1, 2019

Morris Bright MBE
@Morris__Bright

Clive Swift was a wonderful character actor. As adept at drama as at comedy. Diverse roles ... from Shakespeare to Hitchcock and #DoctorWho to the much harangued husband of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet). A sad loss.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47095343 …

325 Likes
4:43 PM - Feb 1, 201
Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47095343

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Gordon Banks: World Cup-winning goalkeeper dies aged 81

BBC News
12 February 2019

England's 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died aged 81.

Regarded as one of the game's greatest in his position, Banks was named Fifa goalkeeper of the year six times and earned 73 caps for England.

He is perhaps best known for his wonder save from Pele during the 1970 World Cup against Brazil.

Born in Sheffield, he won the League Cup with Stoke and Leicester, before retiring in 1973.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight," his family said.

"We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him."

Sir Bobby Charlton, who was part of the team alongside Banks that won the World Cup in 1966, said: "Gordon was a fantastic goalkeeper, without doubt one of the best England has ever had.

"I was proud to call him a team-mate. Obviously we shared that great day in 1966 but it was more than that.

"Even though I was on the pitch and have seen it many times since, I still don't know how he saved that header from Pele."

Banks is the fourth player of the England team that started the 1966 World Cup final to have died, after Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson and Alan Ball.

Another of that XI, Sir Geoff Hurst, tweeted: "One of the very greatest. Thinking especially of Ursula, Julia, Wendy and Robert. Sad for football, Stoke City and for England fans."

Stoke chairman Peter Coates said Banks, who made almost 200 appearances for the club, had been "poorly for a number of weeks".

He told Radio 5 live: "He made his home in Stoke, and was very much part of the fabric of the club. You don't get too many like him, and he was immensely modest for all his talent.

"He was England's greatest goalkeeper when they had their finest hour."

England and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling was among the first to pay tribute, tweeting: "Of course there was that save, but it's so much more we are mourning today. RIP Gordon Banks. England legend, your legacy will live on."

Former England striker Gary Lineker said: "An absolute hero of mine, and countless others, England's World Cup winner was one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, and such a lovely, lovely man."

Ex-England goalkeeper Peter Shilton, who replaced Banks at Leicester, tweeted: "I'm devastated - today I've lost my hero."

"A World Cup winner, a legend. RIP Gordon Banks," tweeted Leicester and England defender Harry Maguire, while Watford keeper Ben Foster said: "Had the pleasure of meeting you as an 18-year old-with my Dad, and him being completely star struck by you. Total gent.

You will always be a member of the Goallys Union."

Banks (far left) as England lifted the World Cup in 1966

"I scored more than 1,000 goals in my life and people don't remember that, but the goal I didn't score they remember," Pele said of Banks' save in the 1970 World Cup

Banks and Pele became good friends after Banks' wonder save at the 1970 World Cup

Banks' statue sits outside Stoke City's stadium

'I said 'why didn't you catch it?'

Former England midfielder Alan Mullery played with Banks in the 1970 World Cup match against Brazil, and described to 5 live the famous save that denied Pele.

"Jairzinho was flying down the wing, and he clips the ball to the far post, and Pele - who climbed to such a height better than anybody else - headed the ball and Gordon went from one post to another and he flicks the ball with his fingertips and it just goes over the crossbar," he said.

"I patted him on his head, and I said 'why didn't you catch it?' and the abuse that came back was unbelievable.

"He was the best at that time. We had some great goalkeepers in those days, and the only person I can think came near was Pat Jennings.

"He was an absolutely marvellous goalkeeper. He was a likable man, and when it came to business, he was probably the best there has ever been."

England manager Gareth Southgate paid his tributes, saying: "An all-time great for England, I was privileged enough to be in his company on a number of occasions.

"It was particularly special to be with him at a Football Writers' tribute dinner last year and wish him well on his 80th birthday.

"Gordon spoke to the room about that incredible save from Pele and moments like that from his remarkable World Cup-winning career will continue to linger long in the memory.

"On behalf of everyone connected with England, I send my condolences to his wife Ursula, his family and friends."

The German Football Federation paid their tributes on Twitter

Ex-Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright

England and Leicester defender Harry Maguire

England and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling

Banks started his career at Chesterfield, before joining Leicester in 1959 for £7,000, and it was at the Foxes that he established himself as England's number one, earning his first international cap in 1963 against Scotland.

He played in every game of the 1966 World Cup campaign, culminating in the 4-2 victory over West Germany in the final at Wembley.

In eight years at Leicester, he was runner-up in two FA Cup finals and won the League Cup in 1964, before joining Stoke in 1967.

He stayed at the Potters until his retirement from professional football, winning the League Cup again in 1972, the club's only major honour.

Later that year he lost the sight in his right eye after a car crash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
FFS Blackie...

Stop full posting crap; at least Wally does link posts. This is why people don't read your crud.