The town of Herouxville, Que., wants immigrants that fit in with its citizens

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
This is what it is all about:

Quote:
On March 2, 2006, the Supreme Court of Canada rules Sikh Montrealer Gurbaj Singh Multani can wear his ceremonial dagger to school. The court uses the phrase “reasonable accommodation.” School prayer: On March 22, the Quebec Human Rights Commission tells l’École de technologie supérieure it should accommodate Muslim students who want a prayer room, though it is not obliged to give them a specific space. The gender of doctors: Sept. 24, La Presse writes many area hospitals are having problems with pregnant Muslim women who don’t want to be seen by male doctors. Windows at the Park Ave. YMCA: Early in the year, frosted glass windows are installed in a room overlooking an alley so a local Hasidic congregation will not see women exercising. In November, a 100-name petition complains about a lack of light and that women exercising at the YMCA should not have to hide themselves. Newspapers are deluged with letters to the editor. No room for daddy: In deference to their Sikh, Hindu and Muslim clientele, the Park Extension CLSC offers prenatal classes for women only. ADQ leader Mario Dumont learns of this in November and voices disapproval. He also complains that Sikhs can wear kirpans in school, but the majority of citizens are not sure if they can use the word “Christmas” in school. Special Treatment? On Nov. 18, La Presse reports it was contacted by an angry father who said he waited five hours so his daughter could be seen at a Laval CLSC, but an Orthodox Jew with a deep cut on his hand was treated first so he could get home before the Sabbath began. On Dec. 15, the Journal de Montréal reports CLSC Thérèse de Blainville is giving the Hasidic community of Boisbriand “special privileges” such as treatment at home on the Sabbath, having female nurses wear long sleeves and long skirts, and male nurses treat only male patients, etc. The same day the CLSC holds a news conference to say it is “at ease” with these practices and that the home visits for religious reasons are very rsession of the year, Dec. 14, only Mario Dumont says “joyeux Noël.” André Boisclair and Jean Charest say “bonnes fêtes.” Quelle surprise! On Jan. 20, 2007, Le Journal says the French are astounded at the lengths their Quebec cousins have gone to in regard to “reasonable accommodations.” Some daycare workers at Commission scolaire de Montréal are upset because their Muslim and Jewish co-workers get more days off than they do.
End Quote

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Thats an excelant example, except that if the smoker has the option of being a good guest and put his smoke out or to go home if he doesn't like it.
But what gets people up in arms is the going home part which blurrs the subject.
What bugs me is they use our own laws and courts to get they're own way.
Its the accomodations, thats what the problem is, every one should be on an even field.
Wearing a knife at school, Wearing a berka while driving or as your picture for your liscence.Anyways I could go on with examples but where things get on a religious level it's because it is those religions that demand these things!:munky2:

But isn't this a bit of over-kill? I doubt the numbers of actual Muslims living in this country are that significant as to cause our entire society to crumble and fall. I agree that adjustement is often difficult with Muslims in the community, but since this is not the majority of people, certainly we are not in such dire straits yet having them live amongst us.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
But isn't this a bit of over-kill? I doubt the numbers of actual Muslims living in this country are that significant as to cause our entire society to crumble and fall. I agree that adjustement is often difficult with Muslims in the community, but since this is not the majority of people, certainly we are not in such dire straits yet having them live amongst us.

I can't help but agree Mary. I suspect allot of the anti-Muslim rhetoric we see these days is due to the fact that they have become the new "communists", a focal point for everyone to mistrust and hate. We certainly don't object to priviledges the Church and its members receive in Canada. Catholic school systems which are publically funded, Catholic hospitals where Catholic morality is dictated, especially in regards to abortion. These are religious perks, if you will, as vital to Catholics as religious customs are to devout Muslims.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I think one of the big problems is Canada doesn't recognize internal cultures as valid, only external.

The logic being, if you won't accomodate the cultures of some citizens, why will you accomodate the cultures of others simply because they are immigrants?

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
I think one of the big problems is Canada doesn't recognize internal cultures as valid, only external.

The logic being, if you won't accomodate the cultures of some citizens, why will you accomodate the cultures of others simply because they are immigrants?

But we do accomodate internal cultures, the most obvious being the French and the one sanctus used, the Catholic Church.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
IMO, if they wanna come to Canada and live as members of our society, they should be compelled to drop their ME customs at the border. no way we should accomodate one iota anything to suit them.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The whole problem began with the imposition of multiculturalism on Canada by Pierre Trudeau. It should have gone to a vote. Change of this sort should be done democratically. Not at the behest or dictate of some testy intellectual who believes his office gives him the right not to manage the country but to redefine it. Trudeau, spoiled and rich, came out of nowhere in federal politics and the silly and stupid of the time thought he was kind of like a rock star. He did a lot of damage. Multiculturalism is but one policy he insisted upon as he reshaped the country to meet his vision. And to hell with tradition.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
The whole problem began with the imposition of multiculturalism on Canada by Pierre Trudeau. It should have gone to a vote. Change of this sort should be done democratically. Not at the behest or dictate of some testy intellectual who believes his office gives him the right not to manage the country but to redefine it. Trudeau, spoiled and rich, came out of nowhere in federal politics and the silly and stupid of the time thought he was kind of like a rock star. He did a lot of damage. Multiculturalism is but one policy he insisted upon as he reshaped the country to meet his vision. And to hell with tradition.

Some truth in that, but honestly, in most things the man was spot on. I think he was one of our "great" Prime Ministers and I have nothing but respect for his government.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If you were born in the sixties or later you'd likely lack the perspective to judge Trudeau effectively. That's not a putdown, just a comment. I was born in 1951 and brought up and schooled in a country that existed before Trudeau arrived. It was very different from today. But it worked and people had a genuine feeling of who they were and what they stood for. And they also had clout. Because they had to be listened to. Diversity has brought far too many voices to the table and special interest now rules the day in Canada. There was a time when that wasn't the case. I remember it.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
...as for domestic abuse not being reported i take a hard line on this. If you don't report it you can't expect any help. Police and other agencies cannot read minds or invade houses to catch the bastards who do these things. abused women need to either put up with what they get or stand up for themselves. the support networks are available to those willing to be brave.

Ordinarily many people would agree with those sentiments, however, many muslim women are kept in such seclusion, or isolation, that they do not know of their rights! Moreover, generally, muslin families are usually large and extremely close knit; in a strange country, embodied in a close community, with like minded people who 'follow the faith,' and with no outside support that they are aware of, how could these women possibly seek help?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I can't help but agree Mary. I suspect allot of the anti-Muslim rhetoric we see these days is due to the fact that they have become the new "communists", a focal point for everyone to mistrust and hate. We certainly don't object to priviledges the Church and its members receive in Canada. Catholic school systems which are publically funded, Catholic hospitals where Catholic morality is dictated, especially in regards to abortion. These are religious perks, if you will, as vital to Catholics as religious customs are to devout Muslims.
I don't know where your from but I'm an ex catholic. And where I live it's on its way out thank God !
Unfortunately this is where religion meets law. Its true Caltholic dominated before and had an influence on laws, but that was the past, its crumbling from within like a political party.
If the question was not to practice they're religion then this would be a communist state.
Its when they take up more place than the next person that bugs me!
It may not help the fact for my sake that I think of religion as a form of brain washing, where its frowned upon to question where your faith is going.
But for those around me that do believe in they're religion I leave them alone with they're faith, just don't ask my opinion of it if you don't like my answer :angry6:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

What phuckin tradition, the kilt, broadswords, shooting indians, if we retained all our traditions we wouldn,t even be bathing or driving cars, most traditions are habits.God bless Saint Pierre, saviour of Canada.:laughing7::wave:

Reactions: hermanntrude

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There's many a lad in Old Canada that would tie you to a post and necklace you with hot coals for a rant like that. As pre-eminent historian Jack Granatstein would say, "Who killed Canadian history?" On this forum he wouldn't have far to look.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There's many a lad in Old Canada that would tie you to a post and necklace you with hot coals for a rant like that. As pre-eminent historian Jack Granatstein would say, "Who killed Canadian history?" On this forum he wouldn't have far to look.

I was born about the same time in the flatulant fiftys as you were, many of those lads of old Canada have tried and died, most of my contemporaries are fat stoopid coach turnips who don't know if thier holes are bored or punched and Jack Granastien is an old fool stuck in victorian mythology.History can't die only the players.:wave:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

because someone would beat him up for saying it, he's wrong for saying it?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
This is not a so called matter of intolerance, never mind what Pariseau said in a drunken stuper after he lost the last referendum. I can remember back in the 50s and 60s this province was under the shackles of the Church and was beyond being just Catholic. In the big cities it did not show as much but in small towns the cures often ran roughshod over the entire town.

Well that has changed and today religion and state are completely separated and people want it to remain like that. There is absolutely no objection to the practice of any religion or religious practices as long as they are done in a place of worship or in private homes. The further decision to remove religion symbols from schools we made in respect to the religious diversity of the students. If things were like the past those same Muslim and Hisidic children would attend prayers twice a day in class and sit amoung religious pictures, statues all day long and often be taught by nuns or brothers. I wonder how they would like that?

Back in their countries religion is out in the open on the streets, here not only in Quebec but all of Canada you cannot tell what religion the people practice. How many people of difference religious beliefs live in this country without putting demands on the general population. Tolerance works both ways, they are not showing any tolerance for our ways. Since when do you immigrate to a country and demand changes to the everyday life of the people. These militants are not the majority, however they must not be allowed to run all over our way of life. We are an open society but they do not accept it so they want to change things to their ways.

If you want to see the "resonnable accommodations" demanded please see my post on Feb. 11 at 9:25pm

habsfan4life

Feb 9, 2007
Muslim men, if traditional, do not allow women to drive.

That is not true at all. It is a very bad misconception among many others that non-Muslims have of Muslims. Usually it's linked with Saudi Arabia... Saudi Arabia does not represent Muslims. Islam represents Muslims.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
No, he's not wrong for saying it; what he's saying is wrong. Tradition should count for something. And heritage. And the sacrifice of those who made it possible to preserve both shouldn't be so flagrantly mistreated. You don't throw your nation's past in the dumpster. I like Old Canada. What it stood for. Its values. Its standards. And if change is to come to Canada it should come respectfully and with due attention to genuine democratic process.

habsfan4life

Feb 9, 2007
Just call up some Toronto news..and you will see how it affects these women..no mater what Candain law say.... Wives being killed, daughter murdered for going out with non muslim men..wives who are no allowed out of the house let alone drive.... Women covered from head to toe in Montreal while they men walk around with western clothes living any way they feel....

Watch tv...look at Iraq on the news..do you ever see a women on the streets....they are home...inside..always!!

Hi, sorry to say but those are not proven facts. There are bad people in every group. I am sure this has been repeated all over these forums so I don't want to repeat it.

Reactions: hermanntrude