Tarsand

gruber

Nov 23, 2006
Hello Experts,

I want to set up a small scale bitumen extraction facility in Alberta to generate pharamceuticals onsite. Does any one know, if there are small tarsand lots available or how is it managed? Has one self to explore potential spots? I am accutally looking for a partner, who may be familar with the tarsand business or fine chemical industries.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Hello Experts,

I want to set up a small scale bitumen extraction facility in Alberta to generate pharamceuticals onsite. Does any one know, if there are small tarsand lots available or how is it managed? Has one self to explore potential spots? I am accutally looking for a partner, who may be familar with the tarsand business or fine chemical industries.
Can you explain how you expect to get pharmaceuticals out of bitumen? I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to join you if you can manage this.

gruber

Nov 23, 2006
tarsands

Bitumen is in coal and crude oil. Both are primary chemicals for pharmaceuticals as tarsand bitumen is.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Its beyond me why you think someone on this board would be able to provide this information for you.
The Tarsands extraction test facility is located in Edmonton.
The University's of Alberta and Calgary are both involved in tarsands research and chemical synthesis. Contact the relevant faculty for info.
If you want to bid on a tarsands lease the Govt of Alberta would be happy to accept your bid.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hello Experts,

I'm a postdoctoral organic chemist, Currently I work in nanomaterials at NINT at the U of A. I'd be interested if you had a job available in the future.

I don't know anything about the tarsands though, only chemistry.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Can you explain how you expect to get pharmaceuticals out of bitumen? I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to join you if you can manage this.

there are many steps between the two but bitumen, or any other hydrocarbon cocktail would be the starting place. I think it's quite unusual for one company to do the extraction, refining, and synthesis all the way through to pharmaceuticals, but it's not impossible I expect.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Its beyond me why you think someone on this board would be able to provide this information for you.
The Tarsands extraction test facility is located in Edmonton.
The University's of Alberta and Calgary are both involved in tarsands research and chemical synthesis. Contact the relevant faculty for info.
If you want to bid on a tarsands lease the Govt of Alberta would be happy to accept your bid.

What a spectacular foot in mouth manouver I made with this post. My apologies. No sooner than I make a post about locating the experts needed for cracking hydrocarbons not being on this board than up pops a PhD in organic chemistry.

If you can figure out how to make pharmaceuticles out of bitumens as a feedstock dont mess about with tarsands.
Oil companies will pretty much give away the "bottom ends" from their treat plants. Waxes and paraffins are just a pita for them.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yeah i wouldn't take bitumen if i could get anything else. But this guy/girl seems confident. I wouldn't mock him/her just cos i don't know his/her methods.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe it would be possible for our post doc to just buy a barrel ot two of crude oil.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Is it a bad thing that every time I hear "Light, sweeet crude" my mouth kinda waters??

Sorry, it always crosses my mind and I've never had a chance to post about it here- continue!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Our good post doc wanted to extract some of the good stuff from tar sand. I thought buying crude already extracted would save one step....;-):lol:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I'm not sure what this guy's plan is. But anyone at the stage of advertising (albeit in an unusual manner) for employees and partners is either a daydreamer who's gone crazy or a clever guy with an interesting plan. I'm assuming the latter so's i can see what's on the table.

gruber

Nov 23, 2006
:lol:
Hi Readers and Writers:
Thanks for your contributions to my thread Tarsand.
Some answers sound interesting as to convert bitumen to honey. As making proteins from crude oil as an animal feed is already established it certainly is a better alternative than pollute water and air when washing tarsand and craking bitumen for car fuel.
Will contact some of you directly.
Greetings: g.