Refugee/Migrant Crisis

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What refugees and from where?

Thats like my favourite fishing saying "I throw all the walleye I catch back in the lake but I keep all the pickerel".

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trudeau offers some money but no solutions on asylum seekers
Feds offer about half of what Toronto and Quebec had asked for but won't discuss long term solution.

Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Published Jan 31, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read
The number of asylum seekers has skyrocketed in recent years, but the Trudeau government has no plan for how to deal with the issue.

Marc Miller released just enough details of his new funding for asylum seekers to ensure no one is happy.

He has no solution to stop the flow of people arriving through what the government calls “irregular channels” and he isn’t going to provide the money other levels of government say they are owed.

The federal immigration minister held a hastily called news conference Wednesday afternoon to announce $362 million will be shared across the country to help house thousands of asylum seekers. That is just about half of the $720 million that Toronto and Quebec wanted just for themselves.

The Legault government in Quebec sent a letter earlier this month asking for $470 million for services provided by the province. Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow has threatened to add a 6% federal impact levy to the property tax bill if the feds don’t deliver the $250 million.

That’s something Miller was dismissive of when asked.

“You can call a municipal tax whatever you want, it’s still a municipal tax,” Miller said.

Chow’s ploy to wedge the Trudeau government with her threat ruffled feathers throughout Ottawa, not just with the 24 Liberal MPs in Toronto. It was noted, according to several Liberal sources, that Chow had played nice to get her deal for a new financial arrangement with Ontario Premier Doug Ford but was threatening towards them.

Whether the ploy has worked isn’t known quite yet because the Trudeau government is now playing their own game in not releasing Toronto’s number.

Miller offered up that Quebec will be receiving $100 million from this fund, plus $50 million from another fund. But when asked about Toronto’s share, he refused to say.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller recently announced that new visas for international students will be slashed by more than one-third this year so Ottawa can slow a rapid increase in temporary residents that has put immense pressure on the housing system.

“Today I’m announcing Quebec, Toronto will be announced in the coming days,” Miller said. “I know what it is, I’m just not announcing it today.”

Given Quebec’s request for $470 million and their grant of $100 million, it would see impossible for Toronto to get its full $250 million from the remaining $262 million. Miller noted that the federal government currently has roughly 4,000 hotel rooms across six provinces housing 7,300 people.

According to government figures, 144,035 asylum seekers were processed by federal agencies in 2023 with 45% of them being in Quebec and 44% in Ontario.

The bulk of those in Ontario would have landed in the Toronto area, but municipalities such as Ottawa, Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton and Niagara Falls have all taken in significant populations, as well. Miller also spoke of how the federal government has been moving some asylum seekers to other provinces and paying for their hotels, which will of course eat up some of the money.

Chow had made the pitch to get $250 million from the federal government by pointing out that 43% of the city’s 10,000 shelter beds are taken up by refugees on any given night. It’s a number that has ballooned over the last several years to an unsustainable level.

Despite not knowing her exact allotment, Chow issued a complimentary statement late in the day.

“I’m encouraged by the announcement and look forward to working with Minister Miller on the funds for Toronto.” Chow said.

Chow is required to present her updated version of the city budget on Thursday morning; whether she will be able to present a full plan with this new funding isn’t clear.

According to one source with knowledge of the plan, the feds will count the $97 million previously pledged to Toronto as part of the total payment with just over $100 million in additional funds for this year and the promise of $40 million in 2025. In exchange, said the source, Chow will drop her threat of a federal levy.

The real problem in Miller’s announcement is that he offered no plan, not even a hint of a solution, for dealing with this issue on a permanent basis. The Trudeau Liberals have opened up the floodgates when it comes to people showing up and claiming asylum.

Between 2011 and 2016, the annual number of people claiming asylum ranged from 10,000 to 25,000; this year, it is more than 144,000 — up from 91,735 last year.

At a certain point, Miller and the rest of the Trudeau government will need to deal with this, but so far, Miller simply ignored the issue when questioned.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Judge sets aside ruling that granted U.S. trans woman’s refugee status in Canada
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Darryl Greer
Published Feb 02, 2024 • 3 minute read

VANCOUVER — An American transgender woman says she plans to appeal a Federal Court ruling that overturned the decision granting her refugee status in Canada and sent it back for redetermination.

In a decision released this week, Federal Court Justice Christine Pallotta found the Immigration and Refugee Board’s appeal division made “reviewable errors” and an unreasonable decision to allow the application by Daria Bloodworth, who moved from Colorado to Canada in 2019.

Bloodworth applied for refugee protection in Canada over fears of transphobic persecution by U.S. society and individuals including an ex-roommate who menaced her with a gun, her former landlord, and a debt collection agency.

Her application for refugee status was initially denied in 2019, then approved on appeal in 2021, before the Canadian government sought a judicial review.

Bloodworth, who now lives in Whitehorse, said in an interview that she was “completely mystified” by the court’s ruling, which was handed down in Vancouver, and is planning to take the case to the Federal Court of Appeal.

“I don’t know why the minister decided to fight this in the first place,” Bloodworth said. “It seems like they’re wasting resources fighting little old me.”

Bloodworth said that in 2019 she caught a flight from Denver to Calgary, where she made her original refugee claim, because the situation for trans people in America is “only getting worse.”

She said her years in Canada since arriving have “absolutely” made her feel welcome, finding people less “unkind” than in the U.S.

“I don’t think it’s just because of the fact that I have yet to be threatened with a gun or a knife yet here, but I think, generally speaking, people here tend to be a little bit nicer than people down south,” she said.

“The fact still remains that people in the U.S. are being radicalized against trans people. We’re being called groomers. We’re being called all sorts of things.”

The court’s ruling outlines how Bloodworth sought protection in Canada, believing that police in Colorado weren’t willing to protect her from a former roommate at university who stalked her, standing outside her home with a gun.

“Bloodworth states she called the police or went to the police station to report events of stalking behaviour, but did not receive protection,” the court ruling says. “She was told her former roommate had the right to open carry a firearm. Eventually, she stopped calling the police.”

In her ruling, Pallotta says the appeal panel erred by requiring “perfect state protection” from the U.S., instead of adequate protection.

The judge sent Bloodworth’s case back for consideration by a different panel of the refugee board’s appeal division.

Pallotta ruled that the original appeal panel’s finding that Bloodworth wouldn’t get state protection from the U.S. due to how police handled her complaints was “contrary to the evidence.”

The appeal panel said the original rejection of refugee status stemmed from failing to consider how open-carry gun laws in Colorado coupled with “the general climate of anti-trans hatred” in America could make Bloodworth “perpetually vulnerable and at risk.”

But Pallotta said that refugee claimants have a “heavy burden” in arguing that a democratic country like the U.S. is incapable of protecting its own citizens.

Bloodworth said she believes in the strength of the fundamentals of her case, “and they’re only getting stronger with the more messed up things that the U.S. is doing.”

“Even though the U.S. is a democracy, this isn’t stopping the politicians in the U.S. from doing these horrible things, which shows that even though it’s a democracy, democracy in and of itself is not a source of state protection,” she said.

Bloodworth said if she’s sent back to the U.S., she’d be at risk of harm anywhere she goes.

“The people who ingest the same hate speech against trans people, the same people who hear that we’re groomers and we’re out to target children and all this other nonsense, they exist in Colorado, too. I mean, there’s no place in the U.S. where these people don’t exist,” Bloodworth said. “If I had to go back to the U.S., I would probably have like a night at a hotel and then fly out to the next place because I can’t live in the U.S.”

The Department of Justice lawyer on Bloodworth’s case did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Judge sets aside ruling that granted U.S. trans woman’s refugee status in Canada
VANCOUVER — An American transgender woman says she plans to appeal a Federal Court ruling that overturned the decision granting her refugee status in Canada and sent it back for redetermination.
Refugee status? From America?
In a decision released this week, Federal Court Justice Christine Pallotta found the Immigration and Refugee Board’s appeal division made “reviewable errors” and an unreasonable decision to allow the application by Daria Bloodworth, who moved from Colorado to Canada in 2019.
OK.
Bloodworth applied for refugee protection in Canada over fears of transphobic persecution by U.S. society and individuals including an ex-roommate who menaced her with a gun, her former landlord, and a debt collection agency.
…& a debt collection agency and her former landlord? So an Economic Refugee?

The ex-roommate with a gun sounds like a seriously bad life choice and a US legal system issue…not a Canadian immigration issue.
Her application for refugee status was initially denied in 2019, then approved on appeal in 2021, before the Canadian government sought a judicial review.
Both Canadian Federal election years. Interesting. Probably not relevant but interesting as a coincidence.
Bloodworms, who now lives in Whitehorse, said in an interview that she was “completely mystified” by the court’s ruling, which was handed down in Vancouver, and is planning to take the case to the Federal Court of Appeal.
Whitehorse? Population of about 25,000 and not a Mecca of the Trans community I’m assuming, but maybe that’s its appeal?
“I don’t know why the minister decided to fight this in the first place,” Bloodworth said. “It seems like they’re wasting resources fighting little old me.”

Bloodworth said that in 2019 she caught a flight from Denver to Calgary, where she made her original refugee claim, because the situation for trans people in America is “only getting worse.”
Ok.
She said her years in Canada since arriving have “absolutely” made her feel welcome, finding people less “unkind” than in the U.S.
Ok.
“I don’t think it’s just because of the fact that I have yet to be threatened with a gun or a knife yet here, but I think, generally speaking, people here tend to be a little bit nicer than people down south,” she said.
Ok?
“The fact still remains that people in the U.S. are being radicalized against trans people. We’re being called groomers. We’re being called all sorts of things.”
Ok. I thought Canada was some kind of anti-Trans cesspool sliding towards something worse than a cesspool?
The court’s ruling outlines how Bloodworth sought protection in Canada, believing that police in Colorado weren’t willing to protect her from a former roommate at university who stalked her, standing outside her home with a gun.
..& that’s a Canadian immigration issue? Sure still sounds like an American law enforcement issue.
“Bloodworth states she called the police or went to the police station to report events of stalking behaviour, but did not receive protection,” the court ruling says. “She was told her former roommate had the right to open carry a firearm. Eventually, she stopped calling the police.”

In her ruling, Pallotta says the appeal panel erred by requiring “perfect state protection” from the U.S., instead of adequate protection.

The judge sent Bloodworth’s case back for consideration by a different panel of the refugee board’s appeal division.

Pallotta ruled that the original appeal panel’s finding that Bloodworth wouldn’t get state protection from the U.S. due to how police handled her complaints was “contrary to the evidence.”
Ok. Weird but OK.
The appeal panel said the original rejection of refugee status stemmed from failing to consider how open-carry gun laws in Colorado coupled with “the general climate of anti-trans hatred” in America could make Bloodworth “perpetually vulnerable and at risk.”
Do Trans Folks in American also not have the same rights to “open-carry” a firearm as non-Trans people, as a deterrent against the sort of behaviour?
But Pallotta said that refugee claimants have a “heavy burden” in arguing that a democratic country like the U.S. is incapable of protecting its own citizens.
I can see that.
Bloodworts said she believes in the strength of the fundamentals of her case, “and they’re only getting stronger with the more messed up things that the U.S. is doing.”

“Even though the U.S. is a democracy, this isn’t stopping the politicians in the U.S. from doing these horrible things, which shows that even though it’s a democracy, democracy in and of itself is not a source of state protection,” she said.

Bloodworth said if she’s sent back to the U.S., she’d be at risk of harm anywhere she goes.
Anywhere?
“The people who ingest the same hate speech against trans people, the same people who hear that we’re groomers and we’re out to target children and all this other nonsense, they exist in Colorado, too. I mean, there’s no place in the U.S. where these people don’t exist,” Bloodworth said. “If I had to go back to the U.S., I would probably have like a night at a hotel and then fly out to the next place because I can’t live in the U.S.”

The Department of Justice lawyer on Bloodworth’s case did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

OK.

The ex-roommate with a gun sounds like a seriously bad life choice and a US legal system issue…not a Canadian immigration issue.

Both Canadian Federal election years. Interesting. Probably not relevant but interesting as a coincidence.

Whitehorse? Population of about 25,000 and not a Mecca of the Trans community I’m assuming, but maybe that’s its appeal?

Ok.

Ok.

Ok?

Ok. I thought Canada was some kind of anti-Trans cesspool sliding towards something worse than a cesspool?

..& that’s a Canadian immigration issue? Sure still sounds like an American law enforcement issue.

Ok. Weird but OK.

Do Trans Folks in American also not have the same rights to “open-carry” a firearm as non-Trans people, as a deterrent against the sort of behaviour?

I can see that.

Anywhere?
It was only an hour drive to small town Wyoming

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It was only an hour drive to small town Wyoming
Probably a shorter drive to the corner gun store with their own “open-carry” permit.

“Yeah, I’d like a dozen eggs, a Glock, a 26 of Jim Beam, a LB of bacon, and a pack of Marboro’s please. Going to go home and make breakfast.”

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Probably a shorter drive to the corner gun store with their own “open-carry” permit.

“Yeah, I’d like a dozen eggs, a Glock, a 26 of Jim Beam, a LB of bacon, and a pack of Marboro’s please. Going to go home and make breakfast.”
There's a drive thru liquor and guns place in Williston. 24 Coors, a box of Super X and really good corn dogs without getting out of the truck.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

OK.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok?

Ok. Weird but OK.

I can see that.

Anywhere?

Son't know why this is an issue; Canada was one of the goto spots for Vietnam draft dodgers.

Trans people in the US are under more threat than they were.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Son't know why this is an issue; Canada was one of the goto spots for Vietnam draft dodgers.

Trans people in the US are under more threat than they were.
Trans people in the US are under more threat that Americans drafted into a Military to go and fight in a foreign country, in your example being Vietnam?

In 2022, 32 (at least) transgender people were murdered in the US. I can’t pull up the same year for data for soldiers drafted to go to Vietnam, so let’s go with 1969 (the year I was born).
1707076027111.jpeg

Now, this would be a percentage thing, so in order to compare apples to apples more or less, we would have to know:
1) how many soldiers were sent to Vietnam as draftee’s/year vs
2) how many transgender Americans exist to take (at least) 32/the total total number.

Canada was one of the hotspots for draft dodgers drafted during the Vietnam War & that wasn’t an issue for whom? The American Government? Someone or something else?

Anyway, this is starting to feel like one of those Tiananmen Square/Hitler things, but I was curious about the “refugee” claim by an American in Canada aspect of this.

How many American draft dodgers (Vietnam era, or other) where granted “refugee status” in Canada?
Found One (not from the Vietnam era, but… He then fled to Canada in 2005, where he applied for refugee status. His request was denied in 2006, but a federal court judge ordered the refugee board to review his bid for asylum. In 2010, he was rejected again and applied for spousal sponsorship with his Canadian wife, the outcome of which he still awaits.
…though this above example, isn’t about anybody who was “drafted” but volunteered & then changed their mind. Also, after two rounds of failed “refugee” attempts, they were onto spousal sponsorship where the story ended.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Governor of New York reconsidering migrant stance after cops beaten
The men accused of attacking the cops were released without having to post bail soon after they were arrested and charged

Author of the article:Jane Stevenson
Published Feb 01, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

The governor of New York State is reconsidering her stance on migrants after the NYPD alleged a group attacked two police officers in Times Square and it was all caught on video, reports the Daily Mail.

Governer Kathy Hochul now says the state should consider deporting the group who went free without having to post bail after the attack.

“I think that’s actually something that should be looked at,” Hochul said at an event Wednesday night.

“I mean, if someone commits a crime against a police officer in the state of New York and they’re not here legally, it’s definitely worth checking into. These are law enforcement officers who should never under any circumstances be subjected to physical assault.”

Hochul previously called the Empire State a welcoming place for migrants and backed controversial sanctuary city and state laws.

The fight broke out around 8:30 p.m. Saturday on West 42nd Street after the pair of cops told a group of men to get moving.

The NYPD allege the migrants then attacked the officers, kicking them in the head and body before running away, leaving the unidentified officers on the ground.

Today's cover: Deport NYC’s cop-beating migrants — if we can find them after they were let loose on no bail https://t.co/s7RNtV3zaB pic.twitter.com/g3XXmuyA7V

— New York Post (@nypost) February 2, 2024

About two hours later, four suspects – Darwin Andres Gomez Izquiel, 19, Kelvin Servat Arocha, 19, Juarez Wilson, 21, and Yorman Reveron, 24 – were arrested and charged with assault on a police officer, gang assault, obstructing governmental administration and disorderly conduct.

However, all four accused were released without bail.

A fifth suspect, Jhoan Boada, 22, was arrested Monday night and charged with attempted assault on a police officer and gang assault.

It’s now believed the DA’s office is investigating additional footage of the fight they did not have when the asylum seekers were arraigned and released.

“Violence against police officers is never acceptable,” the DA’s spokesperson said. “It is paramount that we conclusively identified each defendant and specify each participant’s role in the incident. Every defendant charged so far is facing felony charges that carry a penalty of up to seven years.“

New York’s progressive laws aim to stop people who can’t afford to make bail from languishing in prison for months on end.

After video was posted of some of the released defendants flipping off paparazzi, Elon Musk posted on his X account: “Outrageous!”

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Technically, the state should consider turning them over to the Federal government for disposition. Deportation and immigration issues are exclusively Federal.

And the headline is, unsurprisingly, inaccurate. The governor is considering her position on this bunch of immigrants. The paper neither claims nor proves she's reconsidering her position on immigrants.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Kinda hard to do anything about border security when the Republicans refuse.

A hard-won, bipartisan Senate deal dropped Sunday evening, with tons of items on conservatives’ border-policy bucket list, including many that former president Donald Trump had begged for. These include:
  • beefing up border security as a condition for giving any more aid to Ukraine (check!)
  • a tougher and faster asylum-processing system so that those who don’t meet asylum criteria cannot stay and work for years while their cases crawl through the courts (check!)
  • hiring more personnel for Customs and Border Protection as well as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (1,500 and 1,200, respectively — so, check, check!)
  • huge investments in fentanyl detection technologies and other anti-trafficking enforcement (check!)
  • reviving something like Title 42 restrictions, wherein the president can “shut down” most of the asylum system (though this version doesn’t require a public health pretext and has more severe consequences for border-crossers — so, check-plus, perhaps).
House Republicans should have been pinching themselves in disbelief. Yet within hours of this 370-page bill dropping, House GOP leaders ruled out letting their chamber vote on any of it.

Article

Reactions: Serryah

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Kinda hard to do anything about border security when the Republicans refuse.

A hard-won, bipartisan Senate deal dropped Sunday evening, with tons of items on conservatives’ border-policy bucket list, including many that former president Donald Trump had begged for. These include:
  • beefing up border security as a condition for giving any more aid to Ukraine (check!)
  • a tougher and faster asylum-processing system so that those who don’t meet asylum criteria cannot stay and work for years while their cases crawl through the courts (check!)
  • hiring more personnel for Customs and Border Protection as well as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (1,500 and 1,200, respectively — so, check, check!)
  • huge investments in fentanyl detection technologies and other anti-trafficking enforcement (check!)
  • reviving something like Title 42 restrictions, wherein the president can “shut down” most of the asylum system (though this version doesn’t require a public health pretext and has more severe consequences for border-crossers — so, check-plus, perhaps).
House Republicans should have been pinching themselves in disbelief. Yet within hours of this 370-page bill dropping, House GOP leaders ruled out letting their chamber vote on any of it.

Article
no mention of the sixty billion to secure Ukraines border .