Donald Trump Announces 2016 White House Bid

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Donald Trump goes from calm to indignant in newly released deposition video of civil fraud lawsuit
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Michael R. Sisak
Published Jan 19, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 5 minute read

NEW YORK — Months before Donald Trump’s defiant turn as a witness at his New York civil fraud trial, the former president came face-to-face with the state attorney general who is suing him when he sat for a deposition last year at her Manhattan office.

Video made public Friday of the seven-hour, closed-door session last April shows the Republican presidential frontrunner’s demeanor going from calm and cool to indignant — at one point ripping Attorney General Letitia James lawsuit against him as a “disgrace” and “a terrible thing.”

Sitting with arms folded, an incredulous Trump complained to the state lawyer questioning him that he was being forced to “justify myself to you” after decades of success building a real estate empire that’s now threatened by the court case.

Trump, who contends James’ lawsuit is part of a politically motivated “witch hunt” was demonstrative from the outset. The video shows him smirking and pouting his lips as the attorney general, a Democrat, introduced herself and told him that she was “committed to a fair and impartial legal process.”

James’ office released the video Friday in response to requests from media outlets under New York’s Freedom of Information Law. Trump’s lawyers previously posted a transcript of his remarks to the trial docket in August.

James’ lawsuit accuses Trump, his company and top executives of defrauding banks, insurers and others by inflating his wealth and exaggerating the value of assets on annual financial statements used to secure loans and make deals.

Judge Arthur Engoron, who will decide the case because a jury is not allowed in this type of lawsuit, has said he hopes to have a ruling by the end of January.

Friday’s video is a rare chance for the public at large to see Trump as a witness.

Cameras were not permitted in the courtroom when Trump testified on Nov. 6, nor were they allowed for closing arguments in the case on Jan. 11, where Trump defied the judge and gave a six-minute diatribe after his lawyers spoke.

Here are the highlights from Trump’s videotaped deposition:

‘YOU DON’T HAVE A CASE’
Telling James and her staff, “you don’t have a case,” Trump insisted the banks she alleges were snookered with lofty valuations suffered no harm, got paid in his deals, and “to this day have no complaints.”

“Do you know the banks made a lot of money?” Trump asked, previewing his later trial testimony. “Do you know I don’t believe I ever got even a default notice and, even during COVID, the banks were all paid. And yet you’re suing on behalf of banks, I guess. It’s crazy. The whole case is crazy.”

Banks “want to do business with me because I’m rich,” Trump told James. “But, you know what, they’re petrified to do business because of you.”

Trump complained New York authorities “spend all their time investigating me, instead of stopping violent crime in the streets.”

He said they’d put his recently jailed ex-finance chief Allen Weisselberg “through hell and back” for dodging taxes on company-paid perks.

At a previous deposition in the case, in August 2022, Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and refused to answer questions more than 400 times. He said he did so because he was certain his answers would be used as a basis for criminal charges.

DON’T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT
Trump said he never felt his financial statements “would be taken very seriously,” and that people who did business with him were given ample warning not to trust them.

Trump described the statements as “a fairly good compilation of properties” rather than a true representation of their value. Some numbers, he noted, were “guesstimates.”

Trump claimed the statements were mainly for his use, though he conceded financial institutions sometimes asked for them. Even then, he insisted it didn’t matter legally if they were accurate or not, because they came with a disclaimer.

“I have a clause in there that says, ’Don’t believe the statement. Go out and do your own work,” Trump testified. “You’re supposed to pay no credence to what we say whatsoever.”

WHAT’S IN A NAME? $10 BILLION
Trump estimated that his “brand” alone is worth “maybe $10 billion.”

He called it “the most valuable asset I have” and attributed his political success to the ubiquity of his name and persona.

“I became president because of the brand, OK,” Trump said. “I became president. I think it’s the hottest brand in the world.”

‘MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD’
After Trump was elected, he put the Trump Organization into a trust overseen by his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., and longtime finance chief, Weisselberg.

Trump claimed he did so not because it was required but because he wanted to be a “legitimate president” and avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Plus, Trump said, he was busy solving the world’s problems — like preventing North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un from launching a nuclear attack.

“I considered this the most important job in the world, saving millions of lives,” Trump testified. “I think you would have nuclear holocaust if I didn’t deal with North Korea. I think you would have a nuclear war, if I weren’t elected. And I think you might have a nuclear war now, if you want to know the truth.”

OBSTRUCTED VIEW
In one of his more animated moments, Trump urged his inquisitors to look right out the window for a view of his 40 Wall Street office tower — just across the street from James’ office where he testified.

Asked how the building was doing, financially, Trump gestured toward the building with his thumb and answered: “Good. It’s right here. Would you like to see it?”

“I don’t think we’re allowed to open the windows,” Wallace said.

“Open the curtain,” Trump suggested, bobbing his head around waiting for someone to oblige.

“No,” Wallace said.

“Open the curtain, go ahead,” Trump said. “It’s right here. I just looked out the window.”

“Can’t open it?” defence lawyer Clifford Robert asked, after a beat.

“I wouldn’t,” Wallace said.

‘BEAUTIFUL’ AND ‘INCREDIBLE’
Trump showed off his knack for superlatives, uttering the words “beautiful” and “incredible” 15 times each and “phenomenal” six times as he described his properties.

Trump called his Turnberry, Scotland, golf course “one of the most iconic places in the world,” and the renovated villas at his Doral golf resort near Miami “the most beautiful rooms you’ve ever seen.”

Trump described his 213-acre Seven Springs estate north of New York City as “the greatest house in New York State.”

His golf courses in Aberdeen, Scotland? “Really incredible.” Jupiter, Florida? “An incredible facility.” Just outside Los Angeles? “An incredible property … an unbelievable property … a phenomenal property that fronts on the ocean.”

“I don’t want to sell any of them,” Trump testified. “But if I ever sold them — if I ever put some of these things up for sale — I would get numbers that were staggering.”

He said he could get $1.5 billion for his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida and maybe $2.5 billion for Doral.

Trump suggested he could get “a fortune” from the Saudi Arabia-backed LIV golf league for the Turnberry course, a former British Open site.

“There would be people that would do anything to own Doral. There are people that would do anything to own Turnberry or Mar-a-Lago or … Trump Tower or 40 Wall Street.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trump’s attorney renews call for mistrial in defamation case brought by writer in sex-abuse case
Associated Press
Larry Neumeister
Published Jan 19, 2024 • 2 minute read

NEW YORK — Donald Trump’s lawyer on Friday renewed a mistrial request in a New York defamation case against the former president, saying that an advice columnist who accused him of sexually abusing her in the 1990s spoiled her civil case by deleting emails from strangers who threatened her with death.

Attorney Alina Habba told a judge in a letter that writer E. Jean Carroll’s trial was ruined when Habba elicited from Carroll through her questions that Carroll had deleted an unknown number of social media messages containing death threats.

She said Carroll “failed to take reasonable steps to preserve relevant evidence. In fact, she did much worse — she actively deleted evidence which she now attempts to rely on in establishing her damages claim.”

When Habba first made the mistrial request with Trump sitting beside her as Carroll was testifying Wednesday, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan denied it without comment.

In her letter, Habba said the deletions were significant because Carroll’s lawyers have made the death threats, which they blame on Trump’s statements about Carroll, an important reason why they say the jury should award Carroll $10 million in compensatory damages and millions more in punitive damages.

The jury is only deciding what damages, if any, to award to Carroll after a jury last year found that Trump sexually abused her in the dressing room of a Bergdorf Goodman store in spring 1996 and defamed her with statements he made in October 2022. That jury awarded Carroll $5 million in damages.

The current trial, focused solely on damages, pertains only to two statements Trump made while president in June 2019 after learning about Carroll’s claims in a magazine article carrying excerpts from Carroll’s memoir, which contained her first public claims about Trump.

Habba noted in her letter that Carroll, 80, testified that she became so frightened when she read one of the first death threats against her that she ducked because she feared she was about to get shot.

Robbie Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll who is not related to the judge, declined comment.

Also on Friday, both sides filed written arguments at the judge’s request on whether Trump’s lawyers can argue to the jury that Carroll had a duty to mitigate any harm caused by Trump’s public statements.

Habba asked the judge to instruct the jury that Carroll had an obligation to minimize the effect of the defamation she endured.

Robbie Kaplan said, however, that Habba should be stopped from making such an argument to the jury, as she already did in her opening statement, and that the jury should be instructed that what Habba told them was incorrect.

“It would be particularly shocking to hold that survivors of sexual abuse must keep silent even as their abuser defames them publicly,” she wrote.

The trial resumes Monday, when Trump will have an opportunity to testify after Carroll’s lawyers finish presenting their case.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
’Access Hollywood’ tape of Trump won’t be shown to jury at defamation trial, lawyer says
Associated Press
Larry Nemeister
Published Jan 21, 2024 • 3 minute read

A lawyer for a writer who says Donald Trump sexually abused her in the 1990s and then defamed her while president in 2019 said Saturday that the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape and two women who accused Trump of abuse will not be put before a New York jury considering defamation damages.

The revelation by attorney Roberta Kaplan, who represents advice columnist E. Jean Carroll, means that the Republican front-runner in this year’s presidential race could testify in Manhattan federal court as early as Monday, a day before the New Hampshire primary.

The jury is considering whether Trump owes more to Carroll than the $5 million awarded to her last spring by another jury that concluded Trump sexually abused but did not rape Carroll in the dressing room of a luxury Manhattan department store in spring 1996 and then defamed her in October 2022.

Trump attended the trial for two of its first three days, only skipping it on Thursday, when he attended the funeral of his mother-in-law in Florida.

Kaplan said late Saturday in a letter to the judge that she would not show jurors the 2005 tape in which Trump is caught on a hot mic speaking disparagingly of women to keep the issues in the trial “focused.”

For the same reason, she said she won’t call two other Trump accusers as witnesses: Natasha Stoynoff and Jessica Leeds.

Both women testified at the trial that ended last May. Leeds, a former stockbroker, said Trump abruptly groped her against her will on an airline flight in the 1970s, while Stoynoff, a writer, said Trump forcibly kissed her against her will while she was interviewing him for a 2005 article.

Kaplan noted that Trump’s lawyers had said he is entitled to testify concerning the “Access Hollywood” tape and the allegations of Stoynoff and Leeds, though he would not be if they were not introduced into the case by Carroll’s attorneys.

The judge in the case has instructed the jury that it must accept the findings of the jury last year and thus the evidence has focused almost exclusively on what harm has been caused to Carroll by Trump’s continuous claims that he never attacked her and doesn’t know her and that she is lying.

Trump, 77, has denied her claims in the last week during campaign stops, on social media and at a news conference. And he continues to assert that Carroll, 80, made false claims against him to sell the 2019 memoir in which she first revealed the allegations publicly and for political reasons.

The judge has severely limited what Trump can testify about if he takes the witness stand, and Carrol’s lawyers likely decided to limit the introduction of more evidence to prevent Trump from straying into subjects such as what he maintains are many false claims against him.

However, Kaplan said she does plan to show the jury statements Trump has made since her client finished testifying in the case on Thursday.

Kaplan said Trump said he plans to repeat his claims that he never attacked Carroll and doesn’t know her “a thousand times.”

“Such statements,” she wrote, “are of course relevant to the issue of punitive damages, as they illustrate that Defendant has no intention of ceasing his defamation campaign against Ms. Carroll, even in the face of judicial proceedings in which his liability for defaming her is settled.”

A lawyer for Trump did not return a request for comment on Kaplan’s letter Saturday night.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Can Trump be stopped? That and more key questions heading into the New Hampshire primary
Associated Press
Steve Peoples
Published Jan 21, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 5 minute read

CONCORD, N.H. — Donald Trump’s effort to march to the Republican presidential nomination faces perhaps its greatest challenge on Tuesday when voters in New Hampshire hold the first-in-the-nation primary.

With Ron DeSantis ending his 2024 campaign and endorsing Trump on Sunday, the primary becomes the first one-on-one matchup between Trump and Nikki Haley.

The former president enters the contest emboldened by his record-setting performance in last week’s Iowa caucuses. But New Hampshire has a more moderate political tradition and primary rules that allow unaffiliated voters to participate in the race. Trump-backed MAGA candidates have struggled here in recent years.

Haley, the former UN ambassador and onetime South Carolina governor, is hoping to capitalize on those vulnerabilities, especially now that she is the only major candidate left in the GOP primary aiming to defeat Trump outright. DeSantis, even before dropping out altogether, had effectively surrendered New Hampshire to focus instead on South Carolina’s Feb. 24 primary. But he did have supporters in New Hampshire who now must decide what to do.

A Haley victory would usher in a more competitive phase of a primary that Trump has so far dominated. A Trump win, however, could create a sense of inevitability that he would become the GOP nominee for the third consecutive time.

Don’t forget Democrats have a primary, too. President Joe Biden is not on the ballot, having made South Carolina the first formal stop on the Democratic primary calendar. But New Hampshire is sticking to tradition and hosting its own Democratic primary anyway.

Here’s what we’re watching for on Tuesday:

CAN TRUMP BE STOPPED?
If Haley can’t beat him in New Hampshire, she may not be able to stop him anywhere else, even in her home state of South Carolina.

The one-on-one fight between Trump and Haley is exactly what Trump’s Republican critics have been clamoring for. Haley appears competitive and enjoys support among moderate voters and independents. She’s also earned the backing of popular New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu.

Still, Trump remains the favourite.

Sensing a knock-out blow, the former president has called in his growing army of prominent supporters in recent days to help demonstrate his strength. South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, Trump’s former opponent, endorsed Trump at a New Hampshire rally over the weekend. New York Rep. Elise Stefanik and Ohio Sen. JD Vance stumped for Trump on Saturday before an appearance from South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster.

A significant number of New Hampshire Republicans insist they will never support Trump. And without a competitive Democratic primary in the way, many left-leaning unaffiliated voters could decide to support Haley. But that doesn’t change the fact that Republican primary elections are typically decided by Republicans, and Trump’s grip on the base appears stronger than ever.

Still, New Hampshire loves a comeback story (just ask Bill Clinton), so we wouldn’t rule anything out.

WHERE DO DESANTIS SUPPORTERS GO?
DeSantis was seen as a distant third-place finisher in New Hampshire even before ending his campaign Sunday.

The Florida governor visited the state for the first time as a major 2024 primary candidate in June. After his 30-point drubbing in Iowa, where DeSantis had committed most of his time and resources, he surrendered New Hampshire before a single vote was cast. DeSantis actually spent the weekend campaigning in South Carolina, which hosts its primary election in five weeks.

But dismal poll numbers don’t mean DeSantis had no support at all in New Hampshire. With him having aimed for the most conservative factions in the GOP coalition and then endorsing Trump, it’s possible his formal departure adds votes to the former president’s vote totals. Could that be the difference between Trump managing a narrow victory over Haley or garnering a clear majority that he then uses to declare the nomination a done deal before Haley gets her home-state shot at him?

HOW MUCH DOES ELECTABILITY REALLY MATTER?
Publicly and privately, Democratic leaders have repeatedly acknowledged that they fear Haley much more than Trump in a prospective general election matchup against Biden. We’re about to find out whether Republican primary voters agree.

Haley has spent months telling voters that, without Trump’s chaos and political baggage, she would be better positioned to defeat Biden in November. That argument didn’t help her much in Iowa, where she finished just behind DeSantis.

She’s betting that voters in swing-state New Hampshire will place more value on her longer-term political appeal. Sununu, New Hampshire’s popular GOP governor, has been at Haley’s side for weeks reminding voters of Trump’s dismal record in national elections ever since he entered the White House.

It’s unclear if the message has resonated.

If it doesn’t, it’ll be because Trump has effectively convinced Republican voters that he — not Haley — is the most electable general election candidate. That’s a risky bet, given his extraordinary legal problems, the attack he inspired on the U.S. Capitol and his demonstrated record of alienating suburban voters in successive elections.

Biden’s unpopularity is no doubt muddying the issue.

Still, New Hampshire voters have an opportunity to cast a strategic vote Tuesday based on the one issue that seems to matter more than all else in today’s politics: the ability to beat the other side.

IT’S ALL ABOUT TURNOUT
The end result may be tied most to who actually shows up to vote on Tuesday.

Iowa saw one of its lowest turnouts in recent history in last week’s caucuses. Low turnout elections typically favour the candidate with the strongest support among the party’s base. And in 2024, that’s Trump.

But Haley, with arguments about Trumpian chaos and electability, has been trying to appeal to independents and less-ideological moderate Republicans and independents.

New Hampshire law allows unaffiliated voters to participate in either party’s nomination contest. Democrats are not allowed to vote in the GOP primary, although voters had an opportunity to change their registration before an October deadline.

Haley needs a large turnout, driven by those unaffiliated voters, to have a chance.

New Hampshire Secretary of State David M. Scanlan predicted that 322,000 voters would participate in the GOP primary, which would be a record high. On the Democratic side, he’s expecting just 88,000 given there’s virtually no competition.

A PRESIDENTIAL EMBARRASSMENT?
It may not be the headline, but New Hampshire Democrats are voting for their presidential nominee as well. As much as Biden’s team wants you to think they don’t care about the outcome, they’re paying attention.

Biden won’t be on New Hampshire ballot, of course.

He’s avoiding New Hampshire altogether after pushing the Democratic National Committee to award the nation’s opening primary to South Carolina, a much more diverse state that’s set to vote on Feb. 3. Furious about Biden’s decision, the “Live Free or Die” state ignored the president’s wishes and will host an unsanctioned Democratic primary anyway.

There are several lesser-known Democrats on the ballot, including Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and progressive activist Marianne Williamson. Eager to demonstrate Biden’s strength despite his absence, the president’s allies in the state have been encouraging voters to write in Biden’s name.

The outcome will have no bearing on the number of delegates needed to secure the Democratic nomination. But an underwhelming finish, even in a write-in campaign, would represent an unwanted embarrassment as Biden tries to improve his political standing heading into the fall campaign.

— Associated Press writer Bill Barrow in Atlanta contributed to this report.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Possible Trump testimony in sex abuse defamation trial postponed due to juror illness
Associated Press
Jennifer Peltz And Larry Neumeister
Published Jan 22, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 5 minute read

NEW YORK — With former President Donald Trump soon to take the witness stand, a juror’s illness forced a last-minute delay Monday of a defamation trial over his comments about E. Jean Carroll, the writer who claims he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s.

It’s not yet clear when the trial will resume. The court is awaiting COVID-19 tests on all the jurors; one of Trump’s lawyers also hasn’t been feeling well but tested negative, and his team wants to postpone the Republican presidential front-runner’s next appearance until after Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary.

There was no indication that Trump himself wasn’t feeling well, and he didn’t wear a mask in court as he watched Monday’s brief proceeding. U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan announced that one of nine jurors was told to go home and take a coronavirus test after he reported feeling hot and nauseous.

Trump attorney Alina Habba also reported that at least one of her parents has COVID-19 and that she ran a fever in the last two days after having dinner with them several days ago. She said that her law partner, Michael Madaio, also attended the dinner, although both tested negative for the virus Monday. Habba then said she didn’t see a problem “with a short delay for a day” so everyone can get tested. Neither attorney wore a mask in court.

Habba asked whether Trump’s testimony could be delayed until Wednesday because of the New Hampshire primary, while Carroll’s lawyer pressed for the trial to resume Tuesday, if possible. The judge did not immediately rule on Habba’s request but told her: “Circumstances may result in you getting what you ask for, and maybe not.”

Whenever it may happen, Trump’s testimony stands to allow him — within limits that he might well test — to explain to a jury why he not only denied Carroll’s claims but branded her a liar who faked a sexual attack to sell a memoir.

Because a different jury found last year that Trump sexually abused Carroll, Kaplan has ruled that if the former president takes the stand now, he won’t be allowed to say she concocted her allegation or that she was motivated by financial or political considerations.

Last week, the voluble ex-president and current Republican front-runner sat at the defense table while Carroll testified, complaining to his lawyers about a “witch hunt” and a “con job” loudly enough that the judge threatened to throw Trump out of the courtroom if he kept it up. Trump piped down and stayed in court, then held a news conference where he deplored the “nasty judge.”

“It’s a disgrace, frankly, what’s happening,” Trump told reporters, repeating his claim that Carroll’s allegation was “a made-up, fabricated story.”

Besides tangling with Kaplan, Trump bucked the New York state judge in his recent civil business fraud trial involving claims that he inflated his wealth. Trump, who denies any wrongdoing, delivered a brief closing argument of sorts without committing to rules for summations and assailed the judge from the witness stand. He also was fined a total of $15,000 for what the judge deemed violations of a gag order concerning comments about court staffers. Trump’s attorneys are appealing the order.

In Carroll’s case, her lawyers have implored the judge to make Trump swear, before any testimony, that he understands and accepts the court’s restrictions on what he can say.

“There are any number of reasons why Mr. Trump might perceive a personal or political benefit from intentionally turning this trial into a circus,” attorney Roberta Kaplan wrote in a letter to the judge, who is no relation.

Trump is contending with four criminal cases as well as the civil fraud case and Carroll’s lawsuit as the presidential primary season gets into gear. He has been juggling court and campaign appearances, using both to argue that he’s being persecuted by Democrats terrified of his possible election.

Trump is expected to travel after Monday’s court session to an evening campaign event in New Hampshire, which holds its Republican presidential primary Tuesday.

His trips to court at times also have amplified media coverage of developments that he likes — such as an accounting professor’s testimony for Trump’s defense in the fraud trial — and his criticisms of developments that he doesn’t.

He regularly addressed the news cameras waiting outside the fraud trial in a New York state court. Cameras aren’t allowed in the federal courthouse where the Carroll trial is taking place, so he at one point left and held a news conference at one of his New York buildings even as his accuser continued testifying against him.

“I’m here because Donald Trump assaulted me, and when I wrote about it, he said it never happened. He lied, and he shattered my reputation,” Carroll, a former longtime Elle magazine advice columnist, told jurors and Trump while he was still in court.

Trump doesn’t have to attend or give testimony in the civil case. He stayed away last year from the prior trial, where a different jury awarded Carroll $5 million after deciding that Trump sexually abused her in 1996 and made defamatory comments about her in 2022. Trump is appealing that verdict.

For complex legal reasons, Carroll’s defamation claims were divided between two lawsuits. Hence the second trial, where she’s seeking over $10 million in damages.

Trump has said his lawyers advised him not to dignify the first trial by attending it. He’s attending the second one, he’s said, because of what he views as the judge’s animus.

Habba told the court in a letter that he might take the stand because, even with the judge’s restrictions, “he can still offer considerable testimony in his defense.”

Among other things, he can testify about his state of mind when he made the statements that got him sued and about how his comments came as Carroll was doing media interviews and journalists were asking him about her, Habba wrote.

She also suggested he could “show his lack of ill will or spite” by talking about how he “corrected” his initial denial of having ever met Carroll.

The revision happened after a reporter called Trump’s attention to a 1987 photo of him, Carroll and their then-spouses at a charity event. Trump responded that he was “standing with my coat on in a line — give me a break.”

The Associated Press typically does not name people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly, as Carroll has done.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Judge orders the unsealing of divorce case of Trump special prosecutor in Georgia accused of affair
Associated Press
Kate Brumback And Alanna Durkin Richer
Published Jan 22, 2024 • 3 minute read
On Monday, Jan. 22, 2024, a judge ordered court records to be made public in the divorce involving a special prosecutor hired in the election case against Donald Trump and others, and who is accused of having an affair with Willis. The judge put off a final decision on whether Willis will have to sit for questioning in the divorce case, but delayed her deposition that had been scheduled for Tuesday.
On Monday, Jan. 22, 2024, a judge ordered court records to be made public in the divorce involving a special prosecutor hired in the election case against Donald Trump and others, and who is accused of having an affair with Willis. The judge put off a final decision on whether Willis will have to sit for questioning in the divorce case, but delayed her deposition that had been scheduled for Tuesday.
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) — A judge on Monday ordered court records to be made public in the divorce involving a special prosecutor hired in the election case against Donald Trump and others and accused of having an affair with Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.

The newly unsealed court records, however, didn’t include any references to the affair allegations that have roiled the case that charges Trump and 18 allies of working to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state.

The judge ordered the unsealing of the divorce case involving special prosecutor Nathan Wade after a request brought by a defense attorney who alleges an inappropriate relationship between Willis and Wade. The judge also put off a final decision on whether Willis will have to sit for questioning in the divorce case, but delayed her deposition that had been scheduled for Tuesday.

Willis has defended her hiring of Wade, who has little prosecutorial experience, and has not directly denied a romantic relationship. She has accused Wade’s estranged wife of trying to obstruct her criminal election interference case against Trump and others by seeking to question her in the couple’s divorce proceedings.

The affair allegations threaten to taint the prosecution, with the Republican primary front-runner and others seizing on the claims to attack the case and Wade’s qualifications as a prosecutor. Trump has pleaded not guilty, denied any wrongdoing and called the charges politically motivated.

Willis was served with the subpoena to sit for a deposition in the divorce case the day that defense attorney Ashleigh Merchant, who represents former Trump campaign staffer and onetime White House aide Michael Roman, filed a motion earlier this month alleging the romantic relationship between Willis and Wade.

Documents filed in court show Wade bought plane tickets in Willis’ name, and Joycelyn Wade’s lawyer has argued there “appears to be no reasonable explanation for their travels apart from a romantic relationship.” Joycelyn’s Wade’s lawyer, Andrea Dyer Hastings, told the judge on Monday that they believe Willis has some “unique personal knowledge” related to the divorce case and should be subject to questioning.

“She’s trying to hide under the shield of her position,” Hastings said of Willis.

Cinque Axam, a lawyer for Willis, said the issue before the court is how to divide the marital assets, and the determination of how that should be done has nothing to do with Willis, who doesn’t share any accounts with Nathan Wade and doesn’t determine how he spends money.

During a brief hearing in the Cobb County Superior Court, Judge Henry Thompson said he can’t rule on whether Willis should have to sit for a deposition in the divorce case until after Wade himself is questioned later this month. In ruling that court documents in the divorce case must be made public, he said a previous judge improperly ordered the case to be sealed without holding a hearing.

Joycelyn Wade’s lawyer wrote in court papers filed Friday that Nathan Wade has taken trips to San Francisco and Napa Valley, Florida, Belize, Panama and Australia and has take

n Caribbean cruises since filing for divorce and that Willis “was an intended travel partner for at least some of these trips as indicated by flights he purchased for her to accompany him.”

The filing includes credit card statements that show Nathan Wade _ after he had been hired as special prosecutor — bought plane tickets in October 2022 for him and Willis to travel to Miami and bought tickets in April to San Francisco in their names.

It’s one of four cases Trump is facing as he vies to return to the White House. Prosecutors are using a statute normally associated with mobsters to accuse the former president, lawyers and other aides of a “criminal enterprise” to keep him in power. Four people have already pleaded guilty in the Georgia election case after reaching deals with prosecutors. The remaining 15, including Trump and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, have pleaded not guilty.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Donald Trump kicks out protestor at rally, defends mental competence
Author of the article:postmedia News
Published Jan 22, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 1 minute read

Donald Trump gave the boot to a protestor at his rally over the weekend after a man in the crowd screamed that the former president was a “dictator.”

Security surrounded the man and Trump said “Get him out.”

The intensity was indeed ratcheted up on Saturday night as questions about Trump’s mental competence arose.

Another man, dressed in a white KKK outfit, was kicked out before he could get down into the crowd, the U.K.’s Daily Mail reported.

With New Hampshire’s primary around the corner, Trump spoke to his MAGA supporters during the two-hour rally that saw him attack fellow Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley and take a few jabs at Ron DeSantis, who suspended his presidential campaign on Sunday.

Haley questioned whether Trump was “mentally fit” to be president after he appeared to confuse her with former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, accusing Haley of being in charge of security in the Capitol on the day of the Jan. 6 insurrection.

“I feel my mind is stronger now than it was 25 years ago. Is that possible?” Trump said.

Trump said he took another cognitive test in New Hampshire and “aced it.”

In between slamming his rivals, Trump also called Joe Biden the “worst” president in U.S. history and listed his various campaign promises, including protecting the Southern border.

“I’m desperate to get your vote,” Trump told the crowd.

Trump, who leads by double digits, went hard against Haley.

“Almost every politician from South Carolina is endorsing me. How do you do that if you’re governor?” Trump said of Haley, who served as governor of the state for six years.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ramaswamy, Stefanik early favourites to serve as Trump's running mate
Author of the article:postmedia News
Published Jan 22, 2024 • 2 minute read

The GOP presidential primaries have barely started and Donald Trump is reportedly polling fellow conservatives about potential running mates.

Vivek Ramaswamy is one to watch, according to Glenn Beck.

The conservative political commentator said on YouTuber Patrick Bet-David’s PBD Podcast that Trump, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, called him for an opinion on who he should pick as his potential sidekick, according to the Daily Mail.

“I said Vivek,” Beck told the podcast hosts, adding Trump asked for an explanation, to which he retorted: “That’s the No. 1 response from everybody I’ve asked that question.”

Ramaswamy, a 38-year-old pharmaceutical entrepreneur, suspended his campaign for president on Jan. 15 after finishing fourth in the Iowa caucuses behind Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former UN ambassador Nikki Haley. He then immediately endorsed Trump, who topped second-place DeSantis by nearly a whopping 30 percentage points.

DeSantis suspended his campaign and backed Trump as well on Sunday, two days before the start of the New Hampshire primary.

The U.S. election is slated for November.

Beck said that Ramaswamy, who has been stumping for Trump in New Hampshire, would be an “effective surrogate” for the former president as well as a “skilled attack dog and defender of Trump’s record and vision,” the Daily Mail reported.

“He can defend you, he’s right in your pocket,” Beck told the podcasters, according to the Daily Mail, also noting Ramaswamy could carry on Trump’s White House legacy. “Some of his ideas are really, really good … (he) connects with the youth.

“People are excited about something fresh and different.”

The early betting favourites, however, are South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem, House GOP chair Elise Stefanik and Trump’s former housing secretary Ben Carson, according to oddschecker.com. Ramaswamy is fourth, ahead of the likes of Haley, Sen. Tim Scott and former Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

“Stefanik is at the top,” Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon told CNBC last week, adding that Trump called her a “killer” during a December dinner at his Mar-a-Lago resort in South Florida.

Added another GOP operative, according to the Daily Mail: “If you’re Trump, you want someone who’s loyal above all else. Particularly because he sees (former vice-president) Mike Pence as having made a fatal sin.”

Beck, however, said Trump didn’t seem to tip his hand on which way he’s leaning, according to the Daily Mail.

“Well, we’ll see,” Beck said of Trump’s response during their conversation.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trump wins New Hampshire primary as rematch with Biden appears increasingly likely
Associated Press
Holly Ramer And Will Weissert
Published Jan 23, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — Donald Trump won the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday, tightening his grip on the Republican presidential nomination and bolstering the likelihood of a rematch later this year against President Joe Biden.

The result was a setback for former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, who invested significant time and financial resources into winning the state but finished second. She was the last major challenger in the race after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ended his presidential bid over the weekend, allowing her to campaign as the sole alternative to Trump. Haley intensified her criticism of the former president, questioning his mental acuity and pitching herself as a unifying candidate who would usher in generational change.

The appeals failed to resonate with enough voters. Trump can now boast of being the first Republican presidential candidate to win open races in Iowa and New Hampshire since both states began leading the election calendar in 1976, a striking sign of how rapidly Republicans have rallied around him to make him their nominee for the third consecutive time.

By posting easy wins in both early states, Trump is demonstrating an ability to unite the GOP’s factions firmly behind him. He’s garnered support from the evangelical conservatives who are influential in Iowa and New Hampshire’s more moderate voters, strength he hopes to replicate as the primary quickly expands to the rest of the U.S.

Haley was unable to capitalize on New Hampshire’s more moderate political tradition. Now, her path to becoming the GOP standard-bearer is narrowing quickly. She won’t compete in a contest that awards delegates until South Carolina’s Feb. 24 primary. As the state’s former governor, she’s hoping a strong showing there could propel her into the March 5 Super Tuesday contests. But in a deeply conservative state where Trump is exceedingly popular, those ambitions may be tough to realize and a home-state loss could prove politically devastating.

President Joe Biden, meanwhile, won New Hampshire’s Democratic primary via a write-in effort after the state party moved forward with its own contest. Biden did not appear on the ballot but allies helped him beat a series of little-known challengers.

Trump’s position in the contest is remarkable considering he faces 91 criminal charges related to everything from seeking to overturn the 2020 presidential election to mishandling classified documents and arranging payoffs to a porn actress. He left the White House in 2021 in the grim aftermath of an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol led by his supporters who sought to stop the certification of Biden’s win. And Trump was the first president to be impeached twice.

But Trump has turned those vulnerabilities into an advantage among GOP voters. He has argued that the criminal prosecutions reflect a politicized Justice Department, though there’s no evidence that officials there were pressured by Biden or anyone else in the White House to file charges. Trump has nonetheless repeatedly told his supporters that he’s being prosecuted on their behalf, an argument that appears to have further strengthened his bond with the GOP base.

As Trump begins to pivot his attention to Biden and a general election campaign, the question is whether the former president’s framing of the legal cases will persuade voters beyond the GOP base. Trump lost the popular vote in the 2016 and 2020 elections and has faced particular struggles in suburban communities from Georgia to Pennsylvania to Arizona that could prove decisive in the fall campaign.

Beyond the political vulnerabilities associated with the criminal cases, Trump faces a logistical challenge in balancing trials and campaigning. He has frequently appeared voluntarily at a New York courtroom where a jury is considering whether he should pay additional damages to a columnist who last year won a $5 million jury award against Trump for sex abuse and defamation. He has turned these appearances into campaign events, holding televised news conferences that give him an opportunity to spread his message to a large audience.

He has no choice but to appear in court when the criminal cases begin, which could happen later this spring.

Biden faces his own challenges, though of a different magnitude. There are widespread concerns about his age at 81 years old. Dissent is also building within his party over Biden’s alliance with Israel in its war against Hamas, putting the president’s standing at risk in swing states like Michigan.

Biden championed new Democratic National Committee rules that have its 2024 primary beginning on Feb. 3 in South Carolina, rather than in Iowa or New Hampshire. That left him in something of an awkward position at the outset of the nomination process.

But Democrats in New Hampshire defied the revamped order and held their primary on Tuesday, same as the Republicans. Biden didn’t campaign, giving the state’s Democrats the chance to support primary challengers including Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips and self-help author Marianne Williamson — though many of New Hampshire’s top Democrats backed a write-in campaign that Biden could still win.

Trump traveled frequently to New Hampshire in the months leading up to the primary but didn’t spend as much time in the state as many of his rivals. That included former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a fierce Trump critic who enjoyed some popularity in the state but suspended his campaign mere days before Iowa’s caucuses in an attempt to blunt the former president’s momentum.

Rather than the traditional approach of greeting voters personally or in small groups, Trump has staged large rallies. He has spent much of his time complaining about the past — including the lie that the 2020 election was stolen due to widespread voter fraud.

If he returns to the White House, the former president has promised to enact a hardline immigration agenda that includes stopping migrants from crossing the U.S.-Mexico border and reimposing his first-term travel ban that originally targeted seven Muslim-majority countries. He’s also said the rising number of immigrants entering the United States are “poisoning the blood of our country,” echoing Adolf Hitler’s language.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Appeals court rejects Trump’s bid to reconsider gag order in election interference case
Associated Press
Published Jan 23, 2024 • 1 minute read

WASHINGTON — Washington’s federal appeals court on Tuesday rejected Donald Trump’s request to reconsider a gag order restricting the former president’s speech in the case charging him with plotting to overturn the 2020 election.

Lawyers for the Republican presidential front-runner had asked the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit to examine the gag order after a three-judge panel upheld but narrowed the restrictions on his speech. Trump can now appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

An attorney for Trump didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

The gag order was imposed by U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan in October in response to concerns from special counsel Jack Smith’s team that Trump’s pattern of incendiary comments could taint the proceedings, intimidate witnesses and influence jurors.

The three judge panel that upheld the gag order last month modified it in important ways, freeing Trump to publicly criticize Smith. The special counsel has been a frequent target of Trump’s ire since being appointed by the Justice Department in November 2022 to lead investigations into the former president.

The panel said that though Trump could make general comments about known or foreseeable witnesses, he could not directly attack them over their involvement in the case or about the content of their expected testimony.

Trump’s lawyers argued the panel’s decision contradicted Supreme Court precedent and rulings from other appeals courts. They said a fresh evaluation was needed “both to secure uniformity of this Court’s decisions and because of the question’s exceptional importance.”

A different three-judge panel of the appeals court in Washington is separately weighing Trump’s claim that he is immune from prosecution in the case, which accuses Trump of plotting with his Republican allies to subvert the will of voters in a desperate bid to stay in power. Judge Chutkan, who rejected Trump’s immunity claim, has put the case on hold while he pursues his appeal.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Jan 24, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 2 minute read

EDMONTON — Former U.S. president Donald Trump is an “egomaniac” operating in his own world, argues federal New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, saying if he makes it back to the White House it could spell trouble for Canada.

During the NDP’s caucus retreat in Edmonton, Singh said Trump operates in his own league. He likened him to an egomaniac who is seeking vengeance on his political enemies.

“It is clear that his job, that his goal, is not to help out people that are struggling with the high cost of living or housing or inflation in the states,” Singh said.

“He’s openly running on an egomaniac, vengeance-filled motive to become the president and it is incredibly disturbing to watch this.”

Trump’s rematch with U.S. President Joe Biden became more likely Tuesday after he won the New Hampshire primary, tightening his grip on the Republican presidential nomination.

This week, the Liberal government announced it will launch a “Team Canada” task force to promote its domestic interests to prepare for a Trump presidency, which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says represents a certain amount of unpredictability.

With the United States election in full swing and the Liberals down in the polls, the governing party has also begun escalating its attacks on Tories as conducting American-style politics. Liberal MPs have billed Pierre Poilievre as representing “Trump North.”

The Conservatives have dismissed the attacks as a distraction from pocketbook issues.

Singh has also drawn through lines between Poilievre and Trump, accusing both of being in politics for themselves.

“It makes sense for Poilievre to attack Trudeau,” Singh said.

“But what we often see him do is pick on the weak. He’s not willing to take on corporate greed, he’s not willing to take on the powerful because that who he’s controlled by.”

The Conservatives didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Singh, whose party is trying to pick up Tory seats in Alberta in the next federal election, has routinely brought up the record of the last federal Conservative government of former prime minister Stephen Harper.

He is trying to pitch the NDP as an alternative to successive Liberal and Conservative governments that people can trust.

Singh points to the New Democrats’ track record helping usher in social policies such as dental care for uninsured Canadians.

“I think that’s what we should focus in on, instead of those comparisons,” said Singh, when he was asked it was fair for the Liberals to compare Poilievre to Trump.

“Donald Trump is frankly in completely a world of his own,” he said.

“The things that he has done, the things that he has said, the type of person he is, there is no other comparison to someone who is as bad for democracy, as bad for people, as bad for the planet as Donald Trump.”

On Wednesday, the NDP caucus is expected to turn its attention to housing.

Edmonton, where the retreat is being held, declared a state of emergency earlier this month on housing and homelessness.

Singh and his caucus will meet with a roundtable of local and provincial housing experts on Wednesday afternoon before wrapping up their retreat on Thursday.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Proud Boys member sentenced to 6 years in prison for U.S. Capitol riot role after berating judge
'You can give me 100 years and I'd do it all over again,' said Marc Bru, who was handcuffed and shackled

Associated Press
Michael Kunzelman
Published Jan 24, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

WASHINGTON — A man who stormed the U.S. Capitol with fellow Proud Boys extremist group members was sentenced on Wednesday to six years in prison after he berated and insulted the judge who punished him.

Marc Bru repeatedly interrupted Chief Judge James Boasberg before he handed down the sentence, calling him a “clown” and a “fraud” presiding over a “kangaroo court.” The judge warned Bru that he could be kicked out of the courtroom if he continued to disrupt the proceedings.

“You can give me 100 years and I’d do it all over again,” said Bru, who was handcuffed and shackled.

“That’s the definition of no remorse in my book,” the judge said.

Prosecutors described Bru as one of the least remorseful rioters who assaulted the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. They say Bru planned for an armed insurrection — a “January 6 2.0” attack — to take over the government in Portland, Oregon, several weeks after the deadly riot in Washington, D.C.

“He wanted a repeat of January 6, only he implied this time would be more violent,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing ahead of his sentencing.

Bru has been representing himself with an attorney on standby. He has spewed anti-government rhetoric that appears to be inspired by the sovereign citizen movement. At the start of the hearing, Bru demanded that the judge and a prosecutor turn over five years of their financial records.

The judge gave him a 10-minute break to confer with his standby lawyer before the hearing resumed with more interruptions.

“I don’t accept any of your terms and conditions,” Bru said. “You’re a clown and not a judge.”

Prosecutors had warned the court that Bru intended to disrupt his sentencing. On Tuesday, he called in to a nightly vigil outside the jail where he and other rioters are being held. He told supporters of the detained Jan. 6 defendants that he would “try to put on a good show” at his sentencing.

Boasberg convicted Bru of seven charges, including two felonies, after hearing trial testimony without a jury in October.

Prosecutors recommended a prison sentence of seven years and three months for Bru, a resident of Washington state.

“Bru appears to have envisioned and been planning for a true armed insurrection, and from his post-conviction comments, he appears only to have become further radicalized and angry since then,” they wrote.

Bru absconded before his trial, skipped two court hearings and “defiantly boasted via Twitter that the government would have to come get him if it wanted him.”

“Approximately a month later, it did,” prosecutors added.

Bru represented himself at his bench trial but didn’t present a defence. Instead, he repeatedly proclaimed that he refused to “consent” to the trial and “showed nothing but contempt for the Court and the government,” prosecutors wrote.

Bru flew from Portland, Oregon to Washington a day before then-President Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally near the White House. Before Trump’s speech, he joined dozens of other Proud Boys in marching to the Capitol and was one of the first rioters to breach a restricted area near Peace Circle.

Bru grabbed a barricade and shoved it against police officers. He later joined other rioters inside the Capitol and entered the Senate gallery, where he flashed a hand gesture associated with the Proud Boys as he posed for selfie photos. He spent roughly 13 minutes inside the building.

Several weeks after the riot, Bru exchanged text messages with a friend about buying gas masks in bulk. He also texted a Proud Boys recruit and indicated that he wanted to “repeat the violence and lawlessness of January 6 in Portland in order to take over the local government,” prosecutors said.

“In fact, those text messages indicate that Bru’s chief takeaway from January 6 is that it was not violent enough or not sufficiently dedicated to overthrowing the government,” prosecutors wrote. “In other words, in the aftermath of January 6, Bru was plotting an armed insurrection, not feeling remorseful.”

The FBI initially arrested Bru in March 2021 in Vancouver, Washington. After his pretrial release, Bru was charged with separate drunken driving-related offences in Idaho and Montana.

In July, Bru was secretly living in Montana when a drunken driver hit his car. Police officers who responded to the collision arrested Bru on a warrant stemming from his failure to appear in court before trial. He has “continued to spew disinformation” from jail since his re-arrest and trial, prosecutors said.

“If anything, he appears to be growing more defiant and radicalized,” they wrote.

More than 1,200 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related crimes. About 900 have pleaded guilty or been convicted after trials. Over 750 have been sentenced, with roughly two-thirds receiving some term of imprisonment, according to data compiled by The Associated Press.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
EDMONTON — Former U.S. president Donald Trump is an “egomaniac” operating in his own world, argues federal New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, saying if he makes it back to the White House it could spell trouble for Canada.
If AMERICA re-elects Donald Trump, that is THEIR choice, & as far as Canada goes, America is still the ONE nation that we are physically connected to, with our other borders being the Pacific Atlantic & Arctic oceans.
During the NDP’s caucus retreat in Edmonton, Singh said Trump operates in his own league. He likened him to an egomaniac who is seeking vengeance on his political enemies.
Jagmeet…maybe he should focus on Canada & Canadian issues, and Canadian politics. Regardless of who happens to come out on top of the American election., we will have to work with them, and this is not helping.
“It is clear that his job, that his goal, is not to help out people that are struggling with the high cost of living or housing or inflation in the states,” Singh said.
Canada Jagmeet….You are a Canadian politician…& you are not helping right now.
“He’s openly running on an egomaniac, vengeance-filled motive to become the president and it is incredibly disturbing to watch this.”
Trump’s rematch with U.S. President Joe Biden became more likely Tuesday after he won the New Hampshire primary, tightening his grip on the Republican presidential nomination.
I don’t even pretend to be on top of American politics, but they are our neighbours…& will remain our neighbours and our closest trading partners, etc…
This week, the Liberal government announced it will launch a “Team Canada” task force to promote its domestic interests to prepare for a Trump presidency, which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says represents a certain amount of unpredictability.
Yes, Trump is unpredictable, but he’s not our guy, positively or negatively, and it’s not our choice who leads America, but regardless of who it is, we have to work with them.
With the United States election in full swing and the Liberals down in the polls, the governing party has also begun escalating its attacks on Tories as conducting American-style politics. Liberal MPs have billed Pierre Poilievre as representing “Trump North.”
…& there it is. Jagmeet Is setting things up so that Justin can knock them down… like the straight guy to a comedian, but this isn’t even remotely funny. Jagmeet is still, at least in name, part of the government “opposition” though from the outside looking in, you would never know…
The Conservatives have dismissed the attacks as a distraction from pocketbook issues.
As they should. They might have to work with Donald Trump as the next US president potentially.
Singh has also drawn through lines between Poilievre and Trump, accusing both of being in politics for themselves.
This sure sounds familiar. Right out of the liberal handbook. Sad. At least Singh is reading the literature.
“It makes sense for Poilievre to attack Trudeau,” Singh said.
Because…because Poilievre is in opposition to the government.
“But what we often see him do is pick on the weak. He’s not willing to take on corporate greed, he’s not willing to take on the powerful because that who he’s controlled by.”
Jagmeet, with his maybe 20% of the vote, seems to have forgotten that he’s in opposition to the government, not in opposition to the opposition to the government…or the opposition to the future government that hasn’t come to power yet.
1706269934478.jpeg
The Conservatives didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
There’s nothing new to comment on. The above has been going on since the trucker convoy in Ottawa and the days and weeks leading up to it when Jagmeet & Justin started finishing each other’s sentences….Before they officially came out of the closet…non-coalition coalition, etc…
Singh, whose party is trying to pick up Tory seats in Alberta in the next federal election, has routinely brought up the record of the last federal Conservative government of former prime minister Stephen Harper.
Harper, from 3 elections back, is not the government that the NDP is currently in opposition to. Stephen Harper has retired from politics almost a decade ago.

It’s interesting that Jagmeet & the NDP, that they’ve picked Alberta to try to pick up seats in, as that will not “harm” the Liberals in the next Federal election, whenever Mr Singh allows that to happen.
1706270126908.jpeg
He is trying to pitch the NDP as an alternative to successive Liberal and Conservative governments that people can trust.

Singh points to the New Democrats’ track record helping usher in social policies such as dental care for uninsured Canadians.
By propping up the liberal government, no matter what they do, or who they step on in the process. I’m suspecting that’s not gonna sell well in Alberta.
1706270791251.jpeg
“I think that’s what we should focus in on, instead of those comparisons,” said Singh, when he was asked it was fair for the Liberals to compare Poilievre to Trump.

“Donald Trump is frankly in completely a world of his own,” he said.

“The things that he has done, the things that he has said, the type of person he is, there is no other comparison to someone who is as bad for democracy, as bad for people, as bad for the planet as Donald Trump.”

On Wednesday, the NDP caucus is expected to turn its attention to housing.

Edmonton, where the retreat is being held, declared a state of emergency earlier this month on housing and homelessness.

Singh and his caucus will meet with a roundtable of local and provincial housing experts on Wednesday afternoon before wrapping up their retreat on Thursday.
Of course not. Biden already took care of that stuff, cuz he's an EEE-vil commie.

Trump's job is to Make America Great Again!
Trumps job, if he is reelected, is to be the American president, and to look after America’s interests, representing America.

Canada isn’t America’s only physically connected country, and it’s at least 10X the Canadian population & economy. To America, though strategically important economically and geographically, Canada is just the country to the north…

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If AMERICA re-elects Donald Trump, that is THEIR choice, & as far as Canada goes, America is still the ONE nation that we are physically connected to, with our other borders being the Pacific Atlantic & Arctic oceans.
The bad news for Canada is he's promised a 10% tariff on all imported goods.

The good news is he's probably already forgotten that.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trump White House official Peter Navarro gets a 4-month sentence for defying a House Jan. 6 subpoena
Associated Press
Lindsay Whitehurst And Michael Kunzelman
Published Jan 25, 2024 • 3 minute read

WASHINGTON — Trump White House official Peter Navarro, who was convicted of contempt of Congress for refusing to cooperate with a congressional investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, was sentenced on Thursday to four months behind bars.

He was the second Trump aide convicted of contempt of Congress charges, after former White House adviser Steve Bannon, who also got a four-month sentence but is free pending appeal.

Navarro was found guilty of defying a subpoena for documents and a deposition from the House Jan. 6 committee. He served as a White House trade adviser under then-President Donald Trump and later promoted the Republican’s baseless claims of mass voter fraud in the 2020 election he lost to Democrat Joe Biden.

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta told Navarro that it took “chutzpah” for him to assert that he accepted responsibility for his actions while also suggesting that his prosecution was politically motivated.

“You are not a victim. You are not the object of a political prosecution,” the judge said. “These are circumstances of your own making.”

Navarro has vowed to appeal the verdict, saying he couldn’t cooperate with the committee because Trump had invoked executive privilege. The judge barred him from making that argument at trial, however, finding that he didn’t show Trump had actually invoked it.

Navarro said in court before his sentencing Thursday that the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack had led him to believe that it accepted his invocation of executive privilege.

“Nobody in my position should be put in conflict between the legislative branch and the executive branch,” he told the judge.

Mehta said that asserting executive privilege is not “magic dust to avoid a duty.”

“It’s not a get-out-of-jail-free card,” the judge added.

A federal prosecutor, John Crabb Jr., told the judge that the Justice Department enforces the law “without fear, favour or political influence.”

“This is a righteous prosecution,” Crabb said.

Navarro’s lawyers had advised him not to address the judge, but he said he wanted to speak after hearing the judge express disappointment in him. Responding to a question about why he didn’t initially seek a lawyer’s counsel, he told the judge, “I didn’t know what to do, sir.”

The judge said Navarro should have known how to respond to a subpoena from the House committee because he received one several weeks after Bannon was charged with criminal contempt of Congress.

“I know you think it’s a political hatchet job,” Mehta told Navarro. “(The House committee) had a job to do, and you made it harder. It’s really that simple.”

The judge is allowing Navarro’s defence to submit a written brief on the question of allowing him to remain free pending appeal.

Justice Department prosecutors said Navarro tried to “hide behind claims of privilege” even before he knew what the committee wanted, showing a “disdain” for the committee that should warrant a longer sentence. Prosecutors had asked a judge to sentence him to six months behind bars and impose a $200,000 fine.

Defence attorneys said Trump did claim executive privilege, putting Navarro in an “untenable position,” and they had asked for a sentence of probation and a $100 fine.

The judge ordered Navarro to pay a $9,500 fine.

Defence attorney Stanley Woodward said Navarro believed that he was “duty bound” to assert executive privilege.

“He need not be punished to prove a point,” Woodward told the judge.

Bannon, who also made executive-privilege arguments, was convicted of two counts.

Navarro’s sentencing comes after a judge rejected his bid for a new trial. His attorneys had argued that jurors may have been improperly influenced by political protesters outside the courthouse when they took a break from deliberations. Shortly after their break, the jurors found Navarro guilty of two misdemeanor counts of contempt of Congress.

But the judge found that Navarro didn’t show that the eight-minute break had any effect on the September verdict. He found no protest was underway and no one approached the jurors — they interacted only with each other and the court officer assigned to accompany them.