Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Anyway, back to Trudeau’s “look over there!” Guy David Johnston, whose appearance as a witness in front of the committee on procedure and House affairs Chaired by Bardish Chagger is less than an hour away. It’ll be a shit-show, but an interesting one. “So Mr Johnston, who knew what and when???” & Bardish’s objections to that line of questioning…

Ms. Block was chosen by former governor-general David Johnston to act as his lead counsel in March, 2023, when he accepted the appointment from the Prime Minister to assess how the government handled Chinese state interference in the 2019 and 2021 elections.
Former ethics commissioner Mary Dawson said Monday that Ms. Block’s role has the “appearance of bias,” although her Liberal Party donations and participation in the Trudeau fundraiser likely did not violate federal conflict-of-interest laws.

“What a mess,” Ms. Dawson said in an interview. “Johnston appointed her and they are friends and I guess they all support the Liberal Party … it’s all grist for the mill just to make the situation more unpleasant.”

• Angry
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I gotta work…but I’d love to have!! Johnston is scheduled to appear for three hours before the standing committee on procedure and House affairs starting at 10 a.m. ET. CBC News will carry it live.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I gotta work…but I’d love to have!! Johnston is scheduled to appear for three hours before the standing committee on procedure and House affairs starting at 10 a.m. ET. CBC News will carry it live.
5 minutes to go.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

David Johnston says his public hearings into foreign interference allegations will begin next month despite calls for him to resign as the government’s special rapporteur on the matter.

At the above link…. It’s another link if anybody is interested, to listen LIVE.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

David Johnston says his public hearings into foreign interference allegations will begin next month despite calls for him to resign as the government’s special rapporteur on the matter.

At the above link…. It’s another link if anybody is interested, to listen LIVE.
Bafflegab , liberals preferred means of communication .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Former governor-general David Johnston conceded Tuesday that his findings that China did not orchestrate a campaign against the Conservative Party may have been based on incomplete intelligence, casting doubt on the special rapporteur’s report that a public inquiry into Beijing interference in Canadian democracy is not warranted.

In testimony before the Commons committee on procedure and House affairs, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh pressed Mr. Johnston to explain a contradiction between his report and what former Conservative leader Erin O’Toole told Parliament last week.

On May 30, Mr. O’Toole informed the House that CSIS briefed him that “my party, several members of my caucus and me were targets of misinformation and voter suppression that was orchestrated by China before and during the 2021 election.”

Mr. Singh asked Mr. Johnston about his findings in his May 23 report that said “misinformation could not be traced to a state-sponsored source.” The NDP Leader asked: “How could you have such different conclusions from what Mr. O’Toole received?”

Mr. Johnston said his report was based on what he knew at the time…before actually talking to Mr O’toole?

“The evidence that we had before us that permitted us to come to the conclusion that you suggested was what was available to us at that time,” Mr. Johnston responded, saying his May 23 report was tabled before Mr. O’Toole had been briefed by CSIS director David Vigneault.

Conservative MP Michael Cooper later pressed the special rapporteur on this.

“Are you saying you didn’t have all of the material evidence and intelligence when you drafted your report?,” Mr. Cooper asked.

Mr. Johnston replied: “We reported on what was available to us. What transpired between the director of CSIS and Mr. O’Toole, I don’t know.”

The Conservative MP suggested Mr. Johnston either misinterpreted the intelligence or the government withheld that information from him, etc…more at the link.
From David Johnston’s three-hour appearance Tuesday before a House of Commons committee investigating foreign interference by China in Canada’s democratic institutions, one thing is crystal clear.

He will never be convinced he is in an apparent conflict of interest as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s “independent special rapporteur” on foreign interference.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Been a long time since breakfast.
…& of coarse this:
…followed by PM Trudeau’s non-answers and “Look over There!” Show about David Johnston. I have empathy for your breakfast.

…& here the media is interviewing people at the exit the committee room:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Such a Dog&Pony Show for distraction.
What NEITHER Johnston or Trudeau will state or admit to is the conflict of interest (even if it’s just the Appearance of one, which I personally don’t believe) is between the TWO of them AND their Affiliation with the Trudeau Foundation that was accepting ‘donations’ from the CPP through the cutout of Chinese billionaires who were being reimbursed by the CCP for their ‘donations’ for access to Trudeau with respect to foreign influence. Full Stop.

If Trudeau is questioned about anything pertaining to Chinese interference, he replies back about Johnston’s integrity. A couple months ago he would reply back that any questioning was racist….But his fresher material is about Johnston’s integrity…whether it has any relevance on the question or not.

Johnston is being played by Trudeau, and his ego doesn’t allow himself to step back and look at the situation, to see that there is “at least” the appearance of a conflict of interest….For which he should’ve recused himself before being sucked into this quagmire.

Ultimately, the decision to have a public inquiry is not Johnston’s but Trudeau’s, and ultimately Trudeau has a minority government…. But can just ignore Parliament as long as it’s propped up by Jagmeet Singh with the non-coalition coalition that is definitely not a coalition coalition.

Trudeau is using Johnston as a scapegoat to not hold a public inquiry, and Singh is demonizing everyone in every direction but he’s the one enabling Trudeau to ignore the majority elected body representing the Canadian people, and Johnston just can’t see beyond his own opinion of himself.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s perspective on the whole Jagmeet Singh/ David Johnston/ Erin O’toole thing.

In testimony before the Commons committee on procedure and House affairs, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh pressed Mr. Johnston to explain a contradiction between his report and what former Conservative leader Erin O’Toole told Parliament last week.

On May 30, Mr. O’Toole informed the House that CSIS briefed him that “my party, several members of my caucus and me were targets of misinformation and voter suppression that was orchestrated by China before and during the 2021 election.”

Mr. Singh asked Mr. Johnston about his findings in his May 23 report that said “misinformation could not be traced to a state-sponsored source.” The NDP Leader asked: “How could you have such different conclusions from what Mr. O’Toole received?”

Mr. Johnston said his report was based on what he knew at the time.

So…here’s May 23rd & Erin O’toole:
1686106875420.jpeg
The 2021 election saw a considerable amount of foreign interference targeted toward the Conservative Party, several candidates and me personally. So it was baffling that the man commissioned to report on foreign interference in the 2021 election, Morris Rosenberg, conducted his analysis of the campaign without speaking to a single Conservative. The Rosenberg report suggests that he worked with all parties, but this is simply false and it calls the entire report into question. Yet it is this report that the Liberals have used to justify their inaction on foreign interference. More on that below.

But first, my meeting with the Right Honourable David Johnston.

To set the scene, Mr. Johnston did not reach out to the Conservative Party, my office or Pierre Poilievre’s office until the final week of his initial assignment. He waited until the very end to meet with the current and former leaders of the party that had been the central target of the foreign interference he was charged with investigating. If I am to believe media reports, Mr. Johnston interviewed the Bloc Québécois Leader about events alleged to have taken place in British Columbia and Ontario – where Yves-François Blanchet ran no candidates – before he finally got around to me or the present Conservative Leader. This makes no sense.

I was still waiting to receive a CSIS briefing on foreign interference that had been promised the week before when my office was called by the Johnston team and told we only had two days to make the meeting work. I asked to meet with him after my meeting with CSIS (which I am still waiting to receive) but was told that this was not possible. I confirmed with Mr. Poilievre that his office received a request to meet on the same day that I was. He declined the meeting and somehow that information was leaked to the media within hours.

Since I only had a couple of days to prepare, I asked several key 2021 Conservative campaign officials for their input and gathered a considerable amount of social media and polling information. I was proud that my team was able to assemble a solid dossier with predictive modelling analysis as well as evidence from the ground and from WeChat. Given the pressed timeline, we were literally putting the binders together as Mr. Johnston arrived at my office with his counsel.

With this in mind, you might understand how disappointed I was to learn halfway through my meeting that Mr. Johnston’s report was already undergoing French translation. I was flabbergasted and realized that nothing I was going to provide to the special rapporteur was going to affect his work.

Done deal. Perspective on Singh’s question to Johnston about O’toole and how Johnston’s Report differed from O’toole’s testimony…..’cuz Johnston’s Report was finished and sent off for French Translation BEFORE he met with O’toole.

How ‘bout dem apples? That alone explains the difference between Johnston’s Report and Erin O’toole’s story, and the above is date stamped. What can we expect going forward from the Trudeau/Johnston Sideshow? We as Canadians deserve a Public Inquiry.

Could this have been predicted in advance? See prediction #3 below:
1686107897233.jpeg
Could the reaction to David Johnston & Justin Trudeau going against the will of Parliament with denying a Public Inquiry have been predicated even before Johnston released his report on May 23rd?
1686108111194.jpeg

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
David Johnston believes he is the man to get to grips with foreign interference in Canada. The will of Parliament and the wishes of the public be damned.

Johnston says he has been given a job by the government (as opposed to Parliament) and he has important work that he will not be deterred from doing.

He is defiant in the face of a majority of MPs urging him to step aside and despite only one-in-four Canadians having faith in his credibility and impartiality as special rapporteur.

Johnston is snubbing his nose at the very people he seeks to work for and the very institution he claims to hold in respect.

It was pointed out to Johnston that in the last three months Parliament had voted three times to support a public inquiry being held into foreign interference. Only last week, a majority of MPs in the House of Commons voted for Johnston to step down.

But none of this makes a scrap of difference to him. In a nutshell: I heard Parliament, but I’m ignoring it. My work is far too important to be derailed by MPs.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That was when Conservative MP Luc Berthold asked Johnston in French about remarks he made as governor general while heading a goodwill diplomatic and trade mission to China in 2017, during which he told newly-installed Chinese President Xi Jinping that it was wonderful to be in China because it felt like he was coming home.

That caused controversy at the time because it was on the same day human rights activist Liu Xiaobo, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, died at age 61 in hospital from liver cancer, following a sentence of 11 years in prison for campaigning for free speech.

Johnston said at the time he raised human rights concerns with Xi, wasn’t aware of Liu’s death during their conversation and that he meant that visiting Nanjing University reminded him of his years as vice-chancellor at McGill.

Berthold wanted to ask Johnston about his comments in 2017 but Johnston apparently didn’t understand the French to English translation because he responded with an incoherent reply attributing the remark to Trudeau with regard to 24 Sussex Drive and Rideau Cottage.

While Berthold briefly complained to Liberal MP Bardish Chagger, the committee chair, that Johnston wasn’t answering his questions, perhaps because of translation issues, he let it go and moved on to other issues.

….But the exchange was representative of much of Johnston’s testimony, where he repeatedly didn’t answer what he was asked, or read out parts of his initial report on foreign interference instead of answering the questions.

This was most apparent during New Democrat MP Jenny Kwan’s exchanges with Johnston, given that she had obviously read his report — she’s one of the MPs CSIS has identified as targeted by Beijing because of her stand against human rights violations in China — and told Johnston she didn’t need him reading it back to her.

Johnston, of course, has rejected holding a public inquiry into China’s interference in the 2019 and 2021 elections. Some very interesting stuff at the above link.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That was when Conservative MP Luc Berthold asked Johnston in French about remarks he made as governor general while heading a goodwill diplomatic and trade mission to China in 2017, during which he told newly-installed Chinese President Xi Jinping that it was wonderful to be in China because it felt like he was coming home.

That caused controversy at the time because it was on the same day human rights activist Liu Xiaobo, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, died at age 61 in hospital from liver cancer, following a sentence of 11 years in prison for campaigning for free speech.

Johnston said at the time he raised human rights concerns with Xi, wasn’t aware of Liu’s death during their conversation and that he meant that visiting Nanjing University reminded him of his years as vice-chancellor at McGill.

Berthold wanted to ask Johnston about his comments in 2017 but Johnston apparently didn’t understand the French to English translation because he responded with an incoherent reply attributing the remark to Trudeau with regard to 24 Sussex Drive and Rideau Cottage.

While Berthold briefly complained to Liberal MP Bardish Chagger, the committee chair, that Johnston wasn’t answering his questions, perhaps because of translation issues, he let it go and moved on to other issues.

….But the exchange was representative of much of Johnston’s testimony, where he repeatedly didn’t answer what he was asked, or read out parts of his initial report on foreign interference instead of answering the questions.

This was most apparent during New Democrat MP Jenny Kwan’s exchanges with Johnston, given that she had obviously read his report — she’s one of the MPs CSIS has identified as targeted by Beijing because of her stand against human rights violations in China — and told Johnston she didn’t need him reading it back to her.

Johnston, of course, has rejected holding a public inquiry into China’s interference in the 2019 and 2021 elections. Some very interesting stuff at the above link.
Rag the puck .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
…& from the Former Leader of the NDP:
…& from the Current Leader of the NDP:
1686228801278.jpeg
…& from the Current PMO:
1686229608262.jpeg
1686228995767.jpeg
….& the hands off/arms length situation between the PMO & the Trudeau Foundation (where David Johnston was on the Board until he accepted the role of ‘Independent’ Special Rapporteur from Justin Trudeau) regarding ‘donations’ from the CCP through the cut out of Chinese Billionaires for access to the PM:

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The office of David Johnston, Canada’s special rapporteur on foreign interference, said it will no longer retain the services of Navigator, a firm known for work in crisis communications.

Spokesperson Valérie Gervais informed The Globe and Mail Thursday. She was responding to questions from The Globe about whether Navigator had also worked for Toronto MP Han Dong earlier this year.

A source had told The Globe that Mr. Dong had retained Navigator for a short period of time.

The Globe reached out to Navigator and Mr. Dong for confirmation of this hire but received no immediate response.

The Globe also reached out to Mr. Johnston’s office, which then responded with the announcement it would no longer retain the services of Navigator.

“The first Mr. Johnston heard of any relationship between Navigator and Han Dong was when he received your questions,” Ms. Gervais said in an e-mailed statement. For some reason, Mr Johnston being unaware of this doesn’t surprise me.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The appointment of a special rapporteur has nothing to do with inquiring into foreign interference in Canadian elections. Over the past four years, parliamentary committees have studied foreign interference extensively, issuing five reports and making over 30 recommendations.

There is no question foreign governments have attempted to influence elections in Canada. There are, however, serious questions about what, if anything, Trudeau did to address all the reports and recommendations.

From the outset, the appointment of a special rapporteur was an overt attempt to avoid any meaningful inquiry into what the government has done (or failed to do) to counter foreign interference. The special rapporteur is a partisan position intended to thwart transparency.

Johnston’s first report was a study in avoiding potentially embarrassing questions. When did the prime minister know foreign entities were interfering with nominations and elections and what he did about it are, apparently, questions immaterial to the divine mission of a special rapporteur.

David Johnston — tasked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau back in March with “looking into” allegations that China tried to meddle in the past two federal elections — says he has decided to step down from that role.

A government source said Johnston made his own decision to resign and wasn't asked to step down by the Prime Minister's Office….so…no bus to be thrown under?

Trudeau appointed Johnston to the role in March, as part of a suite of measures responding to concerns the Liberal government failed to share information, or respond adequately to the threat of foreign interference in the last two federal elections….so Trudeau selected David Johnston to investigate Justin Trudeau & the Liberal Gov’t…& he’d report back to the PMO (Justin Trudeau) about Justin Trudeau….& Johnston made it clear that he was not answerable to Parliament or the Canadian People they represent…but to the Liberal Government = Justin Trudeau.

In his interim report released May 23, while pointing to the real threat that foreign election interference poses and the need to address some serious intelligence gaps, Johnston recommended against a public inquiry, but announced plans of his own to conduct public hearings….& Johnston selected Johnston to hold & run & chair these public hearings.

The former governor general's decision is being welcomed by opposition leaders, who are using his abdication as an opportunity to revive calls for Trudeau to launch a public inquiry.

"David Johnston has done the right thing. Now the prime minister must call a public inquiry, so that we can restore trust in our democracy," tweeted NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet said in a tweet that he "salutes" Johnston's "dignified decision."

Blanchet said Trudeau now has no choice but to come to Parliament to select a judge who could chair an independent commission into Chinese interference in Canada.

In a major shift, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will now weigh whether to call a public inquiry into foreign elections interference after former governor general David Johnston stunned the government Friday, resigning as outside adviser after weeks of controversy over his appointment and the conclusions of his interim report.

All three main opposition parties have already voted in favour of a public inquiry, and all reiterated that demand Friday in reaction to Johnston’s departure.

“I always thought that Mr. Johnston is an honourable man and today’s decision shows that,” Singh said. In addition to a public inquiry, he demanded Trudeau work with opposition parties on an “action plan” to deal with interference.

Yves-François Blanchet, leader of the Bloc Québécois, said Trudeau now has no choice but to immediately turn to Parliament to nominate a judge to preside over an inquiry into “Chinese interference in Canada.”

So…what will Trudeau do NOW to avoid a Public Inquiry? Coin toss, best two out of three, but with a BROAD mandate, etc…?

On Tuesday, Johnston spent three hours before a parliamentary committee where opposition MPs vigorously sought to undercut the whole of his findings to reinforce their demands that a public inquiry is the only way forward.

They pointed out discrepancies between Johnston’s recent report and other public information, pressed him on absences from his witness list and grilled him on how much work he actually did.

The Liberal-led circus surrounding allegations of foreign interference took a new turn on Friday when David Johnston, brought on by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in March to look into claims of interference by China in the past two federal elections, announced he is quitting his role as special rapporteur.
He will step down no later than the end of June.