Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, would it be fair to say the eminent is imminent?
Will there or won’t there be a public inquiry into foreign interference in Canada’s last two elections?

The answer to that question is what all sides are looking for today from Justin Trudeau via David Johnston, the former governor general tasked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to review how much the government knows about the issue, how it was handled at the time and what might need to be done differently.

Less than 4 hours until the smoke & mirrors…MPs from the opposition parties, as well as national security experts, have ALL suggested the only way to get a full picture of what happened is to call a public inquiry, but Trudeau has thus far resisted.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Most likely everybody'll see what they want to see, and the screaming will continue unabated.

That's why I keep focussing on the law. If it ain't the law, it's just politicians yelling at each other and their respective marching morons eating it up with a spoon.

Reactions: Serryah

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1684858895423.jpeg
Johnston said an inquiry could not be undertaken in public because of the sensitivity of the intelligence involved, and formal subpoena powers are not required for him to hold his own hearings with diaspora communities, academics and political stakeholders.

The former governor general's initial report into foreign interference allegations found serious issues in how intelligence from security agencies was communicated to government but didn't identify any instances where the prime minister negligently failed to act on intelligence, advice or recommendations. Go figure…

"There are serious shortcomings in the way intelligence is communicated and processed from security agencies through to government, but no examples have been identified of ministers, the prime minister or their offices knowingly or negligently failing to act on intelligence, advice or recommendations," Johnston's report said.

It said there is a “lack of accountability” about who is receiving what intelligence, a situation that is not acceptable given the current threat environment. So nobody signs for documents? Public Libraries seem to be able to manage this accountability….

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
View attachment 18291
Johnston said an inquiry could not be undertaken in public because of the sensitivity of the intelligence involved, and formal subpoena powers are not required for him to hold his own hearings with diaspora communities, academics and political stakeholders.

The former governor general's initial report into foreign interference allegations found serious issues in how intelligence from security agencies was communicated to government but didn't identify any instances where the prime minister negligently failed to act on intelligence, advice or recommendations. Go figure…

"There are serious shortcomings in the way intelligence is communicated and processed from security agencies through to government, but no examples have been identified of ministers, the prime minister or their offices knowingly or negligently failing to act on intelligence, advice or recommendations," Johnston's report said.

It said there is a “lack of accountability” about who is receiving what intelligence, a situation that is not acceptable given the current threat environment. So nobody signs for documents? Public Libraries seem to be able to manage this accountability….
Would we expect anything different from a life long Liberal trough feeder ? And he gets to keep feeding until October .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I haven't really kept up with this but after hearing about the report on the news my thoughts are pretty... meh.

I think there needs to be an inquiry, yes. But I also agree with Jonston that having a public one, with all the sensitive and secret material would be pointless, cause there won't be any real info we can have.

I think it's good Singh is willing to see/read what reports Jonston saw.

I think PP is being a fucking idiot for not getting the clearance to see it himself. (His "job" is just to go after the Libs, one person said; no that's not his fucking job, his job is to represent his constituents, be an opposition leader and also work with the Government if he has to. Him doing this is NOT good optics).

I find it hilarious that the Cons under Harper thought this guy was 'the shit', until this moment, and now he's a piece of shit. Granted had the opposite happened, I'd still find it hilarious (also stupid, but whatevs).

I think overall, this went... somewhat how everyone figured, and yet there was things said/done that are actionable. Whether Trudeau does anything or not (apparently things already are being implemented so...) is a whole other story.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I find it hilarious that the Cons under Harper thought this guy was 'the shit', until this moment, and now he's a piece of shit. Granted had the opposite happened, I'd still find it hilarious (also stupid, but whatevs).
Stephen Harper selected David Johnston as the lead in the Airbus affair investigation as a sign of Bipartisanship that investigated Brian Mulroney’s involvement. Selecting Johnston removed even the hint or appearance of any possible political taint to the investigation of a former Conservative PM.

Trudeau chose David Johnston because? Bipartisanship?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I haven't really kept up with this but after hearing about the report on the news my thoughts are pretty... meh.

I think there needs to be an inquiry, yes. But I also agree with Jonston that having a public one, with all the sensitive and secret material would be pointless, cause there won't be any real info we can have.

I think PP is being a fucking idiot for not getting the clearance to see it himself. (His "job" is just to go after the Libs, one person said; no that's not his fucking job, his job is to represent his constituents, be an opposition leader and also work with the Government if he has to. Him doing this is NOT good optics).

I think overall, this went... somewhat how everyone figured, and yet there was things said/done that are actionable. Whether Trudeau does anything or not (apparently things already are being implemented so...) is a whole other story.
My definition of a completely unbiased opinion . But of course I am a far right extremist .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
…& what will Singh, as an opposition member of Parliament, be able to say about documents that he’s sworn to secrecy in order to see, regardless of what the documents say?

Absolutely nothing, muzzled, before he even see’s them, & regardless of what he see’s….he’ll be mute on the whole thing under penalty of law & Trudeau will be jizzing in his own pants.
…& would Poilievre be able to do, as an opposition member of Parliament, be able to say about any documents he sworn to secrecy in order see, regardless of what they say? It’s a Catch-22. What good would he be as muzzled opposition? He would be as useless as Singh.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
…& what will Singh, as an opposition member of Parliament, be able to say about documents that he’s sworn to secrecy in order to see, regardless of what the documents say?

Absolutely nothing, muzzled, before he even see’s them, & regardless of what he see’s….he’ll be mute on the whole thing under penalty of law & Trudeau will be jizzing in his own pants.

…& would Poilievre be able to do, as an opposition member of Parliament, be able to say about any documents he sworn to secrecy in order see, regardless of what they say? It’s a Catch-22. What good would he be as muzzled opposition? He would be as useless as Singh.

The point would be they'd know and they could in a broad sense without going into specifics that yes Jonston was right or no, he got it wrong.

Classified is that for a reason, you can't just make that shit public, and considering this is about China, a 'world power', ANY form of slip up or fuckery could bite Canada in the ass.

I'd rather people get clearance then look/read the stuff, and come out to say "yes he's right, no he's not" and go with that, than outright say "No I won't be a part of it because what's the point if you can't say anything?"

Which is also ironic to me because that's why Jonston doesn't think a public inquiry will work; too many secrets that can't be told.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Stephen Harper selected David Johnston as the lead in the Airbus affair investigation as a sign of Bipartisanship that investigated Brian Mulroney’s involvement. Selecting Johnston removed even the hint or appearance of any possible political taint to the investigation of a former Conservative PM.

Trudeau chose David Johnston because? Bipartisanship?

Bipartisanship; sure, why not? In the end, he *was* respected enough to be in the positions he was for a while. Now suddenly he's not trusted because Trudeau appointed him to do a job? If it had been PM Poilievre that appointed him, would it be an issue then? I was listening to a Conservative strategist on the news and he pretty much said it was PP making a big deal out of this for no reason other than politics. There's no legit reason for the controversy.