We Need More Men in High Office

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Sorry to embarrass you.
DOesn't bother me in the least. I know I am lousy at spelling. Both my parents were excellent at music and spelling. I can't do either. I think part of the problem is that we had both Bridish and American textbooks. What is rather odd(depressing?) is that I spell better than most other tradespeople.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Not more males, more men.

Jimmy tangled with, and beat, a wildcatting nuclear reactor. George H.W. drove a burning torpedo bomber through its attack run and took out his target before bailing out.

Compare to what we've had since.
Does JFK's saving himself jumping out of PT-109 before it was sliced in two by a Japanese warship to later become POTUS and The Great White Hope count?

I agree we need Churchills, not Chamberlains.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I thought this was going to be about Russians falling out of windows or down many flights of stairs before I opened this thread.

Tried that up here. Erin O’toole (Captain in the Air Command) vs Justin Trudeau (Drama Teacher). It didn’t take.
Apparently fairly badass, too. At least one rescue personally. Served with honor if (debatably) not distinction.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Apparently fairly badass, too. At least one rescue personally. Served with honor if (debatably) not distinction.
Is Justin a Katimavik veteran?

When I was 18 living in Whistler I met these hippie Acadian chicks from NB doing Katimavik....

Sex cult for kids who can't blow brass in band camp.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is Justin a Katimavik veteran?

When I was 18 living in Whistler I met these hippie Acadian chicks from NB....
Justin's a head of hair (one might say a head full of hair). His greatest value to the world is as an example of the Peter Principle.

Before anybody gets me wrong, I'm not saying military service is the only way, or even necessarily a way, to be a man. Just that it's the place you're most likely to be tested and come face to face with what you are.

And by the way, I served with honor and most certainly without distinction.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Justin's a head of hair (one might say a head full of hair). His greatest value to the world is as an example of the Peter Principle.

Before anybody gets me wrong, I'm not saying military service is the only way, or even necessarily a way, to be a man. Just that it's the place you're most likely to be tested and come face to face with what you are.

Doing air cadets got me out of high school 6 months early if I wanted. I liked it.

Katimavik is moonbat ecofacist BS.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not more males, more men.

Jimmy tangled with, and beat, a wildcatting nuclear reactor. George H.W. drove a burning torpedo bomber through its attack run and took out his target before bailing out.

Compare to what we've had since.
After Carter graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy, he was assigned to the early American nuclear submarine program when an accident at Canada’s NRX nuclear research reactor at Chalk River, Ont., caused a loss of coolant to the reactor and the core was left significantly damaged. It was late 1952 and the future president was dispatched to Chalk River, leading a small group of American servicemen that assisted in the cleanup.

Decades later, when Carter was president, Canada came to America’s aid when six U.S. diplomats escaped the clutches of Iranian revolutionaries who had seized the American Embassy in Tehran. Canada’s Ambassador to Iran, Ken Taylor, sheltered the Americans in his own home in what became known as the Canadian Caper.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

I can think of a few others. Firefighters. The odd cop. Even the odd social activist. I met a recovering junkie in Vancouver decades back that spent most of his time helping other junkies. And he wasn't on the government payroll. I think Sally Anne helped him a bit.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can think of a few others. Firefighters. The odd cop. Even the odd social activist. I met a recovering junkie in Vancouver decades back that spent most of his time helping other junkies. And he wasn't on the government payroll. I think Sally Anne helped him a bit.
Firefighters go straight to heaven when they die. Cops, even good ones, hurt people. It's part of the job. But how fuckin' awesome do you have to be to risk your mortal life and all-too-vulnerable skin, not only for people, but for their stuff?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Firefighters go straight to heaven when they die. Cops, even good ones, hurt people. It's part of the job. But how fuckin' awesome do you have to be to risk your mortal life and all-too-vulnerable skin, not only for people, but for their stuff?
Did the term batshit crazy ever occur to you?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It comes with a high personal cost.
It does, yeah. Physical and psychological.

Only practical thing I can recommend is what veterans' groups do, and now the Veterans Administration is sponsoring: organize meetings on a regular basis where firefighters can talk it out with other firefighters in a no-holds-barred, no-judgment environment. Share knowledge and coping strategies. Most of all, just spend some time with people who "get it."

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
It does, yeah. Physical and psychological.

Only practical thing I can recommend is what veterans' groups do, and now the Veterans Administration is sponsoring: organize meetings on a regular basis where firefighters can talk it out with other firefighters in a no-holds-barred, no-judgment environment. Share knowledge and coping strategies. Most of all, just spend some time with people who "get it."
We have good resources in our area. Our on call psychologist's husband is a volunteer firefighter. Unfortunately, we don't do much as a group outside of the fire departments. One of the problems with volunteers in a rural area. Space, and so many varied interests and families of course. I'm lucky in that my son and granddaughter are also volunteers.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We have good resources in our area. Our on call psychologist's husband is a volunteer firefighter. Unfortunately, we don't do much as a group outside of the fire departments. One of the problems with volunteers in a rural area. Space, and so many varied interests and families of course. I'm lucky in that my son and granddaughter are also volunteers.
Make a special effort to reach out to the retired guys and gals. They can get awfully isolated when they're no longer in the station regularly. That's when problems turn into monsters.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
We are in the process of setting up an alumnus. The average stay for volunteers is a little over 3 years, so we made the entrance for Alumni 5 years. My son and I are both crowding 16 years. Currently, I am the oldest full service firefighter in our Mutual Aid group. There are a few older, but none of them do interior. This will be my last year of interior, and I will probably retire altogether this year. Always good to leave before your best before date.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We are in the process of setting up an alumnus. The average stay for volunteers is a little over 3 years, so we made the entrance for Alumni 5 years. My son and I are both crowding 16 years. Currently, I am the oldest full service firefighter in our Mutual Aid group. There are a few older, but none of them do interior. This will be my last year of interior, and I will probably retire altogether this year. Always good to leave before your best before date.
Yep. Knowing when it's time to pack up. It's hard.