Conservatives open up an 8-point lead over the Liberals as 70%+ Canadians don’t think the Liberal government is focused enough on the cost of living

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
If you check out the rest of the poll at abacus (below) then an interesting picture emerges.

One poll doesn't mean much of course but this is the latest in a long trend of polls from more than one pollster that shows the same things - People are losing faith in justin trudeau's ability to manage what's important to them, and every month the CPC and PP go up a point or so whjle the libs go down a point or so. If this poll turned out to be election results it would be a very strong conservative minority, bordering on a majority. And abacus tends to have the cpc a little lower than most of the others. (not saying that's intentional, more structural).

And a good campaign can push the cpc numbers higher very quickly. So PP is definitely in striking distance of a majority gov't at this point.

I know justin would like to go to the polls this year, and he's worried that even if he doesn't the NDP might backstab him and force that - but i think he's got to be looking at these numbers and realizing that probably won't go well for him

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
April or May?
Well i was just thinking about that. It depends - justin could decide that the economy is just going to get worse, there's nothing he can do to fix it that people will like, it's best to go right now before PP gets any more popular. in which case it'll likely be april and he'll likely run on his budget (unless he can't get his budget ready till may).

Or he'll decide that the numbers all say he'll lose so why not ride it out and see if by some miracle something changes and there's opportunity down the road. That would be the traditional liberal strategy. But i also kind of think he's getting sick of being PM.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Or he can pass the torch to the linebacker and she takes the fall.
No chance i think. I mean yes he could, but he won't. His ego won't allow him to resign, that's like admitting he's an unpopular hunk of crap. And he's got enough control over the party that they won't likely be able to push him out, he's spent a lot of time putting loyalists in key positions.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No chance i think. I mean yes he could, but he won't. His ego won't allow him to resign, that's like admitting he's an unpopular hunk of crap. And he's got enough control over the party that they won't likely be able to push him out, he's spent a lot of time putting loyalists in key positions.
I doubt he can take the fall gracefully.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I doubt he can take the fall gracefully.
Probably not. And - the liberal losses aren't going to the ndp. If anything there's continuing signs of weakness with ndp voters. So - i doubt that Jaggers is going to be over eager to push too hard in this year either. He'll fuss about how he's going to FIIIIIIIGGHHTTTTTTT and such but going to the polls probably means they lose seats and he loses being leader.

We'll see. But with these numbers, i just cam't see justin wanting to go to the polls this year. He had vastly better numbers the last time and still barely managed to win.

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Y'all need more parties.
That's rich coming from a place that only has 2 :)

We will have a total of 5 in the next election debates seeing as the people's party met the threshold last election. That's more than enough if you ask me. (there is actually more than that but they're all tiny),

What i really miss is the Rhino party.

Some members of the Rhino party would call themselves Marxist-Lennonist, a parody of the factional split between the Communist Party of Canada and the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist), although the Rhinoceros Party meant the term in reference to Groucho Marx and John Lennon.

Some supported capital punishment, with one claiming "if it was a good enough way to die for my grandfather it's good enough for me".

They ran a guy named "john turner" in the same riding as the Canadian Prime Minster John Turner.

To strengthen Canada's military, their leader planned to tow Antarctica north to the Arctic Circle: "Once we have Antarctica, we'll control all of the world's cold. If another Cold War starts, we'll be unbeatable".

They said that instead of giving money in the Lottery the prize should be a seat in the senate.

They pledged to take Canada off the Gold Standard, and implement a Snow Standard, which would improve the economy at leaest until summer.

They also promised to repeal the law of gravity, promote higher education by building taller schools, and to abolish the environment because it's too hard to keep clean and takes up too much space.

Sensible policies for a happier Canada.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Pirate Party.

And I didn't say we need more parties (we have a dozen), I said YOU need more parties.

I would never try to impose American ideas on Canada. The whining is annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Pirate Party.

And I didn't say we need more parties (we have a dozen), I said YOU need more parties.
You have two and a bunch of NPC's :)

Most canadians could name 6 federal parties without thinking for more than a few seconds, and 5 of them actually have seats in the house. 4 of them have been opposition.

I doubt even half of americans could name more than 2 federal parties and zero of them have ever actually played a significant role in either house.

I'm afraid you got it backwards - it ain't us who needs more parties, that would be the US :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You have two and a bunch of NPC's :)

Most canadians could name 6 federal parties without thinking for more than a few seconds, and 5 of them actually have seats in the house. 4 of them have been opposition.

I doubt even half of americans could name more than 2 federal parties and zero of them have ever actually played a significant role in either house.

I'm afraid you got it backwards - it ain't us who needs more parties, that would be the US :)
What's your source on that? Being as you're so sure it's so, I imagine you have multiple sources demonstrating that most Canadians can name the six Federal parties without thinking for more than a few seconds.

Which is good. If Canadians are like Americans, thinking for more than a few seconds could lead to no end of trouble. Short circuits, fire hazards, identity crises, lasting trauma, hysterics, excited delirium, apoplexy, the pox, the flux, dry rot, and the screaming meemies, to name just a few.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
What's your source on that? Being as you're so sure it's so, I imagine you have multiple sources demonstrating that most Canadians can name the six Federal parties without thinking for more than a few seconds.
Sure. Most of the public opinion polls show that voters recognize the parties and can offer an opinion on them, with only a small percent indicating they don't know enough or aren't sure. Look it up.

(ROFLMAO - thought you had me there did you :) )

Which is good. If Canadians are like Americans, thinking for more than a few seconds could lead to no end of trouble.
Well fair point. They do say that the strongest argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

Short circuits, fire hazards, identity crises, lasting trauma, hysterics, excited delirium, apoplexy, the pox, the flux, dry rot, and the screaming meemies, to name just a few.
Most of us can get there in under a second if they're naming political parties....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Dude that's gross. Don't waive it when you're going to the potty.

Sounds like your people better get out of the way to me, if you're gong to be wave-whizzing and all.
Typical. It's OUR job to get out of YOUR way.

Pretty much the history of the Americas for the last half-millennium.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Pirate Party.

I would never try to impose American ideas on Canada. The whining is annoying.
I am having a party tonight , come on down .