Tyre Nichols

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is looting a wage or a salary or just a benefit? I was picturing a riot and looting as separate things.

A riot as a statement or a means towards a goal.

Looting as just looting being a separate dilution by those few taking advantage of the situation of the riot.

Ironically, rioting as a “lawless” act…could it also be self-policing against looting?
It's a commission.

Sadly, rioters usually haven't read The Philosophy of Rioting. A few always commingle rioting and looting.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's a commission.

Sadly, rioters usually haven't read The Philosophy of Rioting. A few always commingle rioting and looting.
I mentally pictured rioters & looters as separate groups with separate goals.

One group seeking some kind of change (social or political or what have you), & the other group seeking a change of physical stuff (the ownership of stuff anyway).

Inevitably, I am assuming there would be some co-mingling, but the two groups would have different motivations at least initially I’m assuming. With different motivations I’m assuming there could be the potential for self-policing (I know that’s the wrong term if there’s two groups) against looting… but the looting distracts from the rioting (by those that are trying to stop both) allowing the rioting to continue for a longer period if the force that would stop both groups eventually where only focussed on the rioting. A symbiotic relationship I guess.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I mentally pictured rioters & looters as separate groups with separate goals.

One group seeking some kind of change (social or political or what have you), & the other group seeking a change of physical stuff (the ownership of stuff anyway).

Inevitably, I am assuming there would be some co-mingling, but the two groups would have different motivations at least initially I’m assuming. With different motivations I’m assuming there could be the potential for self-policing (I know that’s the wrong term if there’s two groups) against looting… but the looting distracts from the rioting (by those that are trying to stop both) allowing the rioting to continue for a longer period if the force that would stop both groups eventually where only focussed on the rioting. A symbiotic relationship I guess.

Nonsense.

We all know Rioters and Looters are all the same, and can be all lumped in with Protesters. And in turn they are all ANTIFA/Commies/BLM/Boogeyman of the day.

They're all the same, there's no nuance or context whatsoever in any of it and anyone who stands up for anything needs to be arrested immediately! Put in jail for years if not for life!

Unless certain conditions apply.

(of course the above is all sarcasm; overall I agree with you)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My view: The only difference I see between rioting and looting would be that looting usually involves stealing stuff. Rioting is just wanton destruction. The guy breaking the window of the appliance store is a rioter. The guy going in and taking the big screen tv is the looter. Usually a looter is also a rioter. Neither are protesters although some join protests in hopes of turning them into riots or looting opportunities.

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
We all know Rioters and Looters are all the same, and can be all lumped in with Protesters. And in turn they are all ANTIFA/Commies/BLM/Boogeyman of the day.
Thank god we don't see that at other protests. Like at the convoy in ottawa where every single protester carried a nazi flag, attacked women at random, burned down apartment buildings and of course they ALL wanted to overthrow the gov't, dontchaknow :)

the left always accuses others of what they actually do.

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
My view: The only difference I see between rioting and looting would be that looting usually involves stealing stuff. Rioting is just wanton destruction. The guy breaking the window of the appliance store is a rioter. The guy going in and taking the big screen tv is the looter. Usually a looter is also a rioter. Neither are protesters although some join protests in hopes of turning them into riots or looting opportunities.
I was with you right up to the end. However - very frequently both are protesters. Many people feel that protesting needs to include rioting and looting and that this is part and parcel. Even AOC when asked about it said basically that protests are SUPPOSED to have that stuff (riots and looting and even violence) because they're SUPPOSED to make people uncomfortable.

While not all protesters are rioters and looters and not ALL rioters and looters are protesters, the fact is a very high percent of the R&L gang are in fact protesters and they consider it to be a necessary part of protest.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Simplistic. It implies that a riot is planned, and that the participants all have the same goal and tactics.

Which is kinda the opposite of a riot.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The first time Memphis police described what happened between their officers and Tyre Nichols — the 29-year-old who died of his injuries after being beaten by police — they wrote that “a confrontation occurred” following a traffic stop. Nichols fled on foot, and then “another confrontation occurred.”

“Afterward, the suspect complained of having a shortness of breath,” reads the statement posted on the Memphis Police Department’s Twitter account the morning after Nichols was beaten on Jan. 7. “The suspect was transported to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition.”
Yeah, that shortness of breath's pretty bad.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The “Scorpion Unit” sure sounds like a gang inside of a gang…to further differentiate the “US vs Them” mentality in Law Enforcement as opposed to the “We are the public as we enforce laws in our society” concept.
The controversial Memphis Police Department unit at the center of Tyre Nichols' death earlier this month has been deactivated.

The SCORPION unit, which stands for Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods, has been "permanently" deactivated, the Memphis Police Department announced on Saturday, a day after city officials released footage of the fatal confrontation between Nichols and former members assigned to the unit.

The SCORPION unit, which launched in November 2021, encompassed 40 officers split into four teams who patrolled "high crime hotspots" throughout the city, the police department announced at the time.

The so-called SCORPION Unit – which stood for Street Crimes Operations to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods – is being deactivated following a meeting between Chief Cerelyn 'C.J.' Davis and officers on the squad.

The other officers assigned to the unit "unreservedly agree with this next step," a statement from the department said.

"While the heinous actions of a few casts a cloud of dishonor on the title SCORPION," the statement went on, "it is imperative that we, the Memphis Police Department take proactive steps in the healing process for all impacted."

Davis previously said she would not disband the unit after Nichols' death, the Associated Press reported.

In media interviews over the weekend, attorney Ben Crump called on Congress to pass police reform, saying it was necessary after the death of another Black man at the hands of officers.

He specifically urged federal lawmakers to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, which was twice approved by the House but stalled in the Senate in 2021. The George Floyd Justice in Policing Actwould ban chokeholds, prohibit no-knock warrants in federal drug cases, end qualified immunity for law enforcement officers – and more.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
OK, this is not a complete solution, but can we get over the hard-man names for police task forces?

Maybe cops inclined to abuse people would be less likely to volunteer for the FUZZY BUNNY squad or the DOPEY PUPPY team or the FOOTY PAJAMA task force. . .
True. You have to really want to help to be part of the CUSHYTUSH Flying squad.

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It all started with S.W.A.T.
In america yes. They had a few in Britian before then. But in america it really seems to be focused on "military" or agressive names, like swat or scorpion or the like, and you KNOW for most of them theyr'e coming up with a name and trying to figure out an acronym that fits. Nobody ever said "lets call ourselves Street Crimes Operations to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods'... wait a minute, i just realized the acronym just happens to sound cool!". I mean it's fine for the military, they're SUPPOSED to be tough and violent. But the cops are starting to think of themselves as military and that's bad.

It's always bad for your cops to think of themselves as 'military'. As the saying goes - The job of the police is to protect the people. THe job of the military is to destroy the enemies of the state. When the military becomes the police, the people tend to become the enemy of the state.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In america yes. They had a few in Britian before then. But in america it really seems to be focused on "military" or agressive names, like swat or scorpion or the like, and you KNOW for most of them theyr'e coming up with a name and trying to figure out an acronym that fits. Nobody ever said "lets call ourselves Street Crimes Operations to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods'... wait a minute, i just realized the acronym just happens to sound cool!". I mean it's fine for the military, they're SUPPOSED to be tough and violent. But the cops are starting to think of themselves as military and that's bad.

It's always bad for your cops to think of themselves as 'military'. As the saying goes - The job of the police is to protect the public. THe job of the military is to destroy the enemies of the state. When the military becomes the police, the people tend to become the enemy of the state.
Yeah, the "Guardians not Warriors" movement is trying to turn back the trend.

I call it the "Andy and Barney" philosophy of policing.