Federal Trade Minister Mary Ng broke ethics rules over contract to friend, commissioner rules

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seriously, what penalty would you prescribe for such breaches?

Personally, I think self-dealing, friend-dealing, or other misuse of public funds should lead to termination for a senior (or non-senior) bureaucrat (and possibly criminal charges).

But for an elected member, I think they should be stripped of all positions and office and relegated to the back bench, either until the next election or a new government. Gotta respect da will of da peepul, y'know.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Personally, I think self-dealing, friend-dealing, or other misuse of public funds should lead to termination for a senior (or non-senior) bureaucrat (and possibly criminal charges).

But for an elected member, I think they should be stripped of all positions and office and relegated to the back bench, either until the next election or a new government. Gotta respect da will of da peepul, y'know.

I think for first offense, fine and automatic bi-election if they want to retain their seat.
Second offense, same thing but bar the person from running ever for any level of government again.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think for first offense, fine and automatic bi-election if they want to retain their seat.
Second offense, same thing but bar the person from running ever for any level of government again.
Hmm. . . good ideas. Our system for by-elections (we don't have them) and barring people from running for elected office are different (or non-existent). I hadn't thought of these ideas.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Depending on the sever of the breach, criminal charges may be warranted.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Depending on the sever of the breach, criminal charges may be warranted.
Criminal charges are a really high bar for elected officials and very easy for them to get off.
What really hurts them is forcing them to fight a by election, threatening their pensions, and fines. Those are lower bar things, requiring a lower burden of proof and yet threatening enough that they'll avoid that out come like crazy.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Criminal charges are a really high bar for elected officials and very easy for them to get off.
What really hurts them is forcing them to fight a by election, threatening their pensions, and fines. Those are lower bar things, requiring a lower burden of proof and yet threatening enough that they'll avoid that out come like crazy.
The problem is, it is really hard to attach their pensions short of outright fraud conviction.
i don’t believe that elected officials should be getting a taxpayer funded pension plan to start with.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What other occupation gives anybody, a gold, plated, inflation, indexed, full pension after six years? Seriously, I’m in my mid 50s and I would like to know.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The problem is, it is really hard to attach their pensions short of outright fraud conviction.
i don’t believe that elected officials should be getting a taxpayer funded pension plan to start with.
It is, and in fairness you wouldn't want it to be super easy. But for something like the 3rd or 4th ethics commissioner investigated conviction you might very well put it on the table. Sort of a 'dishonerable discharge'.

I'm thinking a bit of a sliding scale concept would work well - a strong smak in the face for a first offense, but nothing TOO crazy - the same PLUS fight a byelection for a second offense, etc. And for the party as well - that's important. So the party itself gets a hefty penalty every time one of it's people steps out of line. It won't stop all corruption but it will force them to work a lot harder for it and keep it minimized.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mary Ng is the minister who voted in favour of a February 2021 motion stating that China is committing genocide against the Uyghur people and then claimed that she had done so by mistake. The House of Commons unanimously voted in favour of declaring the Chinese government’s actions a genocide, apart from the cabinet, which abstained. The aforementioned cabinet abstention on the Uyghur genocide motion came at Trudeau’s instruction.

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has to be punking us when he says ethical breaches by his cabinet ministers “sucks because you don’t want people to be making mistakes, you want people to be able to focus on delivering good things for Canadians.”

Beg pardon?

This bizarre observation by Trudeau in a year-end interview with CTV News begs the question that if that’s his concern, why has he been investigated under the Conflict of Interest Act more than anyone else in his government — three times by two different conflict of interest and ethics commissioners — during which he was found to have violated the act twice and only escaped censure a third time because of a loophole in the law?

Trudeau describes his ethical breaches and those by other Liberals as “mistakes” in the CTV interview and says they happened because “when you do lot of things, every now and then people are going to make mistakes.

“That is why it’s a good thing that we have a system that catches those mistakes, that calls them out, that, you know, shares them with Canadians, that we explain. And Canadians get to decide whether it was an honest mistake or whether someone was trying to fill their pockets.”

Wow. Where to begin?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
At the end of the day the voters have to give a crap. And the ones in ontario especially simply haven't. You take ontario out of the picture and Trudeau was gone 2 elections ago. Ontario people are just very comfortable with corruption and apperently don't have much going on in the way of ethics or morality on average as a group. It must really sting like heck for the honest people there.

Reactions: Taxslave2