Trudeau Makes Good on Ethical Energy to Germany

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Accelerating the transition to firewood. Thats it, thats all. Nobody in EU is rushing to install wind and solar. Woodstoves are the hot commodity.

Trudeau isnt sane.
Don’t worry, it will keep getting worse. The cost of gas will continue to rise — and with it, the price of just about everything else. Once this pandemic-induced inflationary period has passed, the Liberals’ enthusiasm for forcing Canadians to lower their standard of living will only grow.

(The fully story at the link above is a good read.)

The reality is that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine showed that the indulgences of green-obsessed politicians in the West are a direct threat to the people of Ukraine, whose lives are being destroyed by Russian President Vladimir Putin’s energy-financed assault, as well as a threat to working people the world over whose ambitions include being able to afford rent and not freezing in the dark.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Could we not demand that the GG replace TurdOWE? She must have some power besides an unlimited expense account.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Could we not demand that the GG replace TurdOWE? She must have some power besides an unlimited expense account.
I think it only works that way in theory. The GG is appointed by the Queen (or King now, I guess) on the advice of the PM.

If the GG entertains the idea above, I think she’ll be told to “Shut up and go stand in the corner or we’ll Payette your arse in a heartbeat!”….& away goes the perks and expense accounts.

• Sad

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don’t worry, it will keep getting worse. The cost of gas will continue to rise — and with it, the price of just about everything else. Once this pandemic-induced inflationary period has passed, the Liberals’ enthusiasm for forcing Canadians to lower their standard of living will only grow.

(The fully story at the link above is a good read.)

The reality is that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine showed that the indulgences of green-obsessed politicians in the West are a direct threat to the people of Ukraine, whose lives are being destroyed by Russian President Vladimir Putin’s energy-financed assault, as well as a threat to working people the world over whose ambitions include being able to afford rent and not freezing in the dark.
Ive made the mistake of geothermal but you paid for it. I used my noggin and equipment I owned to drill a 70mm hole to 100m that cost me $600 in purple diesel and labour.

Using a "corporate" CCA I didnt pay squat and then you paid for me to revert to a 99% efficient furnace after burning out two heat pumps. It didnt cost me fuck all but after Conservative and Liberal grants and tax credits Im at square one back to burning carbon taxed NG.

Are there grants to install a woodstove?

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1666326253428.jpeg
PUTZBRUNN, Germany — Konrad Kötterl lights another cigarette, which seems risky in a barn full of firewood. This is not cheap wood, either. The price of the pallets Kötterl sells has doubled since last year. “It’s not even cheaper to heat with wood,” Kötterl says during our conversation. “But people are very anxious that there will be no gas in general.”

They are anxious because Germany is on the edge of winter, during an unprecedented European energy crisis. Russia’s war with Ukraine, Western sanctions against Moscow, the Kremlin’s cutoff of pipeline gas, and a cascade of other calamities, has made the cost of natural gas and other energy sourcessoar.

Germany, in particular, relied on Russian gas. The country got more than half of its imports from Russia in 2021; by this September, it got none. Germany responded by filling up its gas storage and seeking supply elsewhere, often at a premium. High prices have forced industry cutbacks and closures and municipalities are cutting back — lower temperatures in swimming pools, street lights turned off. Households are urged to use less energy, but many will nevertheless face huge jumps in their utility bills, even as the German government tries to offset the price surge for consumers and companies.

These measures, some painful, will help Germany withstand this winter, but the margin is narrow. In a country where around half of homes use gas for some portion of their energy, a very cold winter, or an unexpected disruption to gas supply or infrastructure, make the contours of this crisis unpredictable.

In August, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz even visited Canada on an explicit mission to call for increased exports of Canadian natural gas. In response, Trudeau told the Germans there was no “business case” for Canada to sell LNG to Europe, and instead took Scholz to a part of rural Newfoundland that may eventually host a plant that will produce hydrogen from offshore wind….But Australia did not and within days of rejection by Canada, German utility Uniper signed an enormous deal with an Australian company to bring in more natural gas. Even Norway, another virtue-signalling petro-giant, has boosted production to help Europe fight against Russia’s war against Ukraine and the continent.

Ducking an opportunity to help defeat Vladimir Putin is hardly surprising given that Trudeau’s regime has destroyed all but one of the 18 proposed LNG projects in Canada in the past decade with its destructive, anti-resource agenda.

In an attempt at damage control, Trudeau’s Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a speech in Washington that Canada was open to approving “economically viable” LNG terminals — a questionable assertion given years of Liberal resource obstructionism. Such promises are futile, commented Adam Legge, President of the Business Council of Alberta: “How many boards of directors are going to approve their CEO to go and spend billions of dollars on a project and a process and an application that is highly uncertain at the end of that?”

Trudeau accused Alberta politicians of being a “political impediment” to the green economy, alleging that they were deliberately ignoring the pro-renewable sentiments of ordinary Albertans. “Their politicians are not on their side right now,” he said.

Maybe Australia will pay for Canadian $10/day daycare & national dental care.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Trudeau's hydrogen plan is a fucking joke. This is a completely unproven technology with enormous technical, logistical and business risks and a time-frame of at least a decade. In other words, Germany will be getting help from Liberal-run Canada approximately never.

Trudeau made good on NOTHING! He basically told Scholz to go fuck himself, but in very diplomatic terms.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Trudeau's hydrogen plan is a fucking joke. This is a completely unproven technology with enormous technical, logistical and business risks and a time-frame of at least a decade. In other words, Germany will be getting help from Liberal-run Canada approximately never.

Trudeau made good on NOTHING! He basically told Scholz to go fuck himself, but in very diplomatic terms.
But it is for his own good .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
But it is for his own good .
Really? Or is it because Germany is a White, European country and Trudeau hates those of European stock. Don't forget we were told by former Finance Minister Morneau that it was in the national interest to export our natgas to Asia, mostly China.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Really? Or is it because Germany is a White, European country and Trudeau hates those of European stock. Don't forget we were told by former Finance Minister Morneau that it was in the national interest to export our natgas to Asia, mostly China.
Well China continues to build coal generation and we continue to sell them coal , so why not ? Is this government not full of contradictions?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's probably right. Nothing like rising prices to accelerate the shift to alternatives. That's classic economic theory.

Probably not likely to win him any new fanboys, though.
Accelerating the transition to firewood. Thats it, thats all. Nobody in EU is rushing to install wind and solar. Woodstoves are the hot commodity.

Trudeau isnt sane.
Germany’s use of renewable energy has increased dramatically in recent years, but the country is still heavily dependent on oil, natural gas and coal.

Between 2010 and 2020, the share of wind and solar in Germany’s energy mix increased by 242%, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). At the same time, coal’s decreased by 45%, oil by 10% and natural gas by 2%.

But that does not tell the whole story. Wind and solar supplied just 6%of total energy consumed in Germany in 2020, up from just 1% in 2010. Meanwhile, in 2020 oil and gas supplied 61% of Germany’s total energy demand. That’s up from 55% in 2010 as oil and gas were used to replace coal, which decreased to 16%.

“The challenge today is that even if you expand the capacities of renewable energies, you still will need classical traditional energies like oil and gas and nuclear,” Altmaier said.

Renewable energy has become increasingly important in Germany’s electrical grid, supplying 49% of power demand in the first half of 2022.

But wind and solar “are not always providing electricity when it is needed,” Altmaier said. Solar panels and turbines produce more power than Germans require in the summer but less than they need in the winter, he said. Natural gas helps balance this volatility.

Germany’s energy mix is much more than its electrical grid, with heavy industry consuming 20% of total energy used in the country – the highest level in Europe, Altmaier said.

As renewable energy grows, more gas will be needed to substitute coal, he said. The question is where that gas will come from now that Russian gas is off the market for Germany? Hmmm….

Russia supplied about 55% of Germany’s natural gas before it invaded Ukraine. But the main pipeline has been shut down since early September. Germany has scrambled to find alternative supply, including signing long-term deals with U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) shippers. Shame there’s not a viable business case for this according to Canada’s current Gov’t.

Further worsening of the already tense situation cannot be ruled out, with the German government warning companies and private consumers to “expect a considerable increase in gas prices” with winter on the horizon.

Altmaier’s visit to Calgary comes about a month after German Chancellor Olaf Scholz came to Canada seeking a deal on LNG supply.

“As Germany is moving away from Russian energy at warp speed, Canada is our partner of choice,” Scholz said. “We hope that Canadian LNG will play a major role in this.”

But he left without an LNG agreement, with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reinforcing that “there has never been a strong business case” for terminals on Canada’s East Coast. Sorry Olaf.

While Altmaier declined to comment on the issue directly, he said that “Canada in international relationships has never been a problem, but always part of the solution.” And “people in Germany have confidence that the fossil fuel energy in Canada is produced in a more environmentally friendly way than in most other countries around the world.”

He sees Canada’s opportunity to export not only oil and gas but also hydrogen (To throw a bone to the Greentards so they can save face) as world hydrogen markets (eventually) develop. Rest at the link.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Spoke to my g/f in Germany this morning. She told me that they don't know what they're going to do for heat this winter & have been told to expect blackouts in electricity to last on average 48 hours each time. She has a wood fireplace so is collecting wood for heat.

Also, Germany has offered China 30% ownership of the Port in Hamburg and people are just furious. That port is the biggest in Europe so China has gotten it's fingers into the EU (I'm sure this isn't the only deal they've made).

I asked her why Germany would do that and she said it's because they need the money. In zoomed China - Belt and Roads anyone? Not good at all. Too bad they didn't listen to Trump back in 2018! He warned them but they laughed at him. They're certainly not laughing now!

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Spoke to my g/f in Germany this morning. She told me that they don't know what they're going to do for heat this winter & have been told to expect blackouts in electricity to last on average 48 hours each time. She has a wood fireplace so is collecting wood for heat.

Also, Germany has offered China 30% ownership of the Port in Hamburg and people are just furious. That port is the biggest in Europe so China has gotten it's fingers into the EU (I'm sure this isn't the only deal they've made).

I asked her why Germany would do that and she said it's because they need the money. In zoomed China - Belt and Roads anyone? Not good at all. Too bad they didn't listen to Trump back in 2018! He warned them but they laughed at him. They're certainly not laughing now!
Same from our friends in Germany.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Last I heard (more than a decade back now) the owner of this site (Andem) was also in Germany.

Olaf Scholz (isn’t this the same guy who came to Canada looking for Natural Gas for Germany from Trudeau?) is accused of siding with China over his own government over the Port of Hamburg.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

An investigation by German regional public broadcasters reported Wednesday that Scholz’s chancellery is pushing to approve efforts by Chinese state-owned shipping giant Cosco to buy a foothold in a container port in Hamburg, ignoring warnings from six federal ministries, including the Greens’ Vice Chancellor Robert Habeck, amid fears of risky economic over-dependence on Beijing.

Just as Germany is finally grasping the consequences of energy dependency on Russia, more attention is now also shifting to the depths of its interlocked trade relationship with China that gives Beijing massive leverage over Berlin.

Under the terms of the Cosco deal, first agreed in September 2021 and subject to regulatory approval, the company would secure a minority 35 percent stake in the container terminal at Tollerort, one of three such sites inside the sprawling Hamburg complex.

The acquisition is part of a broader strategic gambit by Beijing to gain control over infrastructure critical to its globe-spanning Belt and Road trade initiative, a network of transport connections intended to link China’s factories with rich Western markets.

Cosco already owns stakes in Europe’s two largest ports at Rotterdam and Antwerp, while it also controls the port of Piraeus in Athens and is behind a scheme to expand an inland rail terminal at Duisburg where the Ruhr and the Rhine rivers meet and which is a focal point for overland freight arriving from China’s industrial hubs.

A stake in Hamburg, Europe’s third largest port, is just another piece in that puzzle for Beijing, and many don’t like it. The logic of encouraging Chinese investment is that those ports would then be favored by Chinese shippers that take their business there. That sparks a race among Northern European ports to come to arrangements with the Chinese.

Habeck, whose economy ministry is overseeing a review of the deal under an investment screening process, has repeatedly said Germany is rethinking its overall trade policy with China. The rest at the above link.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
For nearly a decade, Western environmentalists and “green” leaders have held China up for praise – even as an example – for promising to stop increasing its emissions sometime between 2030 and 2035 and to reach “net zero” around 2050, about the same time as Western industrialized countries.

Never mind that China’s Communist leaders are often guilty of telling gullible Western “progressives,” like Canada’s Trudeau Liberals, what they want to hear while not really meaning it and seldom following through.

President Xi told party delegates that China was still committed to reaching peak emissions and net zero at some point in the future, but for now, to maintain energy security, it would continue expanding its use of fossil fuels, especially coal.

Xi said China will not end the use of fossil fuels until sufficient, reliable “green” energy sources are available to replace them (which we know won’t be anytime soon judging from Europe’s about-face on alternate energy since the invasion of Ukraine).

China, according to Xi, will hang on to existing technologies until pie-in-the-sky “green” ones are ready. It will not “discard the old before adopting the new,” unlike Canada, which under the Liberals, is rushing to get rid of oil and gas before there are any other technologies even close to reliable enough.

China now emits more CO2 than the rest of the developed world, combined. And that includes the United States, Canada and Western Europe.

It has nearly 1,200 coal-fired power plants and is building at least 40 more. Canada has nine.

Last year alone, coal consumption by Chinese power plants increased by 10 times the amount of all the coal burnt in Canada. Just the increase was 10 times greater than our entire coal consumption.

Total Chinese coal consumption (5.24 billion tonnes) is 200 times greater than Canada’s total (26 million).

In light of last week’s Chinese climate-change U-turn, the first question that occurs is what difference does it make if we Canadians’ beggar our economy to meet some magical, arbitrary emissions targets dreamt up by the Trudeau government and their buddies in the radical environmental movement?

China is producing so many emissions – and now shows no signs of slowing down – the climate won’t even notice Canada’s sacrifice. Canada’s sacrifice became Germany’s sacrifice but thankfully Australia stepped up to the plate…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe China should be like the UK and burn Canadian forests?
Well, we’re down to only about 318,000,000,000 trees (give or take a few I guess) in Canada so I don’t know how many we have to spare. Trudeau is planting those extra 2 Billion Greta trees thou so maybe?

Reactions: petros

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The harsh reality and one that the rabid leftists don't want to hear is, fossil fuels HAVE to be part of the equation until we can find a clean renewable energy that is also reliable. Reliable being the key word here. I'm not against sensible initiatives to clean up our act but certain realities have to be considered.
We've already seen in America's mid-west what relying too heavily on current "green" energy technology can lead to in the dead of winter; a near state of emergency. People had to be moved to more communal places like hotels and motels just so the power companies could have a chance at guaranteeing the power supply. And they had to supply that power with the very limited amount of gas they decided to access for the winter until supplies could be delivered.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The harsh reality and one that the rabid leftists don't want to hear is, fossil fuels HAVE to be part of the equation until we can find a clean renewable energy that is also reliable. Reliable being the key word here. I'm not against sensible initiatives to clean up our act but certain realities have to be considered.
We've already seen in America's mid-west what relying too heavily on current "green" energy technology can lead to in the dead of winter; a near state of emergency. People had to be moved to more communal places like hotels and motels just so the power companies could have a chance at guaranteeing the power supply. And they had to supply that power with the very limited amount of gas they decided to access for the winter until supplies could be delivered.
Are you talking about the Texas freeze-out last winter? That wasn't generation, that was distribution.

The rest of what you say is obvious. Which is why you have to state it.

Reactions: Serryah