Run Faster: Polievre

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The only people that respond to polls are lonely people over 65 , the results might be skewed .
the polls are weighted, so even if twice as many elderly reply they're numbers are paired back to be a percent similar to their percent of the population. And if it was one single poll i'd tend to discount it but a number from different pollsters have reflected the same sort of results.

Now its true that older people especially back east will remember charest, and people tend to support names they remember. But, however we get there the results dont change for now. We'll see what happens after PP is leader

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Interstingly (and contrary to history), that's not actually that accurate. Polling suggests that those over 65 aren't supporting him nearly as much and would prefer the libs or Charest at this time.

But i suspect that may change moving forward when he gets more of a path to be exposed to them directly. right now i suspect they're basing their opinions on cbc reports and media stories only and that can't be favorable.
Only if the polls are done back east somewhere. From my talks with other party members here, he is well in the lead. A smattering of support for Lewis from the fundies, but the rest don't seem to register. Charest is hated because he comes from Quebec.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The media polls are irrelevant, since one has to be a party member to vote. Party polls are somewhat more accurate, and if membership sales are any indicator at all, Polievre will win by a large margin.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Only if the polls are done back east somewhere. From my talks with other party members here, he is well in the lead. A smattering of support for Lewis from the fundies, but the rest don't seem to register. Charest is hated because he comes from Quebec.
And you're going to find large pockets of that but it's hardly universal at this point and back east it's kind of the exact opposite - and there's a much larger percentage of people back east. So when we're looking at how we're doing, that's what we're going to have to deal with.

The fact is polievre will have to find a way to tackle that. Which he can - that's far from impossible or the like. And once hes got the resources of the party behind him that should get easier. Older people don't watch youtube, and that's mostly what he could afford to do up to this point. But it is currently an area he's a little weak.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I'm 100 percent certain that is true, but Sask and Alberta make up a very small part of Canada population wise, and he's going to need the big boys to win. Fortunately he's doing very well with the younger (under 65) in bc, and pretty good with the younger in Ontario so far. But - that's not going to be enough unless he bites into the older gen a little more. As the saying goes, the elderly always vote in historically high numbers.

Well that certainly will be the liberals pitch. "join us to defeat the evil right" has been a standard battle cry for them for 50 years and even more so since the CPC was born.

the thing is - it's the younger people FROM the ndp who are moving to the CPC if polls are to be believed. And not just a few. Pollivre isn't pulling liberal supporters as much as he's pulling the ndp believe it or not.

And i think the libs are going to have a problem with "red flu", where their supporters stay home in droves or vote for a fringe. We saw that in ontario last provincial election. Whereas CPC supporters will be VERY motivated to turn out.

Its' weird times, that's for sure. The older gen is pro liberal? The kids are joining the cpc from the ndp? Did you know last election most of the increase the PPC got came from former Green party voters? (i kid you not). Canadian politics is in a weird state of flux right now.
I believe he has more support of the older people then has been stated here. Common sense is what is important to most of us "older" people and that is certainly missing from the current government. JC is not even a mention where I live; he's not even in the running. PP however is as is Lewis and Baber. I'm happy to hear (if true) that the younger ones are changing their attitudes (for lack of a better word) to the CPC because the policies are much, much better and make much more sense. The Liberals however are out to lunch and have no clue as to what they're doing. They're ruling based on WEF policies and not their own.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I believe he has more support of the older people then has been stated here. Common sense is what is important to most of us "older" people and that is certainly missing from the current government.
You may yet turn out to be absolutely right. It's hard to say how much of the 'additional support' for charest comes from simple name recital (when put on the spot people have a habit of saying the name they're most familiar with) and how much of the 'fear' is coming from a liberal media that PP can bypass once he's leader. It may be that there's a very thin sheet of concern or lack of familiarity which, once broken, will result in a strong flood of support in the older generation.