Run Faster: Polievre

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Love him or hate him, he's absolutely killing the social media marketing of his brand. I suspect that's part of why younger people (who use social media more) are his fastest growing support base.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Love him or hate him, he's absolutely killing the social media marketing of his brand. I suspect that's part of why younger people (who use social media more) are his fastest growing support base.
The reason young people are fastest growing market is because most of the older generations already support him.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Polievre should run faster….than whom?

Faster than the other conservative candidates? Faster than Justin/Jagmeet? Faster than Elizabeth May & whomever she Co-Leads the Green Party with (assuming they have more than one MP in Parliament)? Currently I think he’s doing all of the above.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The reason young people are fastest growing market is because most of the older generations already support him.
Interstingly (and contrary to history), that's not actually that accurate. Polling suggests that those over 65 aren't supporting him nearly as much and would prefer the libs or Charest at this time.

But i suspect that may change moving forward when he gets more of a path to be exposed to them directly. right now i suspect they're basing their opinions on cbc reports and media stories only and that can't be favorable.

Reactions: Colpy and Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interstingly (and contrary to history), that's not actually that accurate. Polling suggests that those over 65 aren't supporting him nearly as much and would prefer the libs or Charest at this time.
I think that depends on where in Canada you are. I am out on the Canadian prairies and we know who Charest is, but on a personal level I can’t think of anybody I know who actually supports him…& a (very) few who support the Libs.
But i suspect that may change moving forward when he gets more of a path to be exposed to them directly. right now i suspect they're basing their opinions on cbc reports and media stories only and that can't be favorable.
I suspect that the NDP is going to be off in the nether regions for the next several cycles, and the liberals will pick up a significant portion of their supporters. The next federal election will probably see the conservatives get the popular vote again for the third time consecutively, and yet the liberals will remain in power due to seat appropriation/distribution, and the green party will have its two seats (One from each coastline).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think that depends on where in Canada you are. I am out on the Canadian prairies and we know who Charest is, but on a personal level I can’t think of anybody I know who actually supports him…& a (very) few who support the Libs.

I suspect that the NDP is going to be off in the nether regions for the next several cycles, and the liberals will pick up a significant portion of their supporters. The next federal election will probably see the conservatives get the popular vote again for the third time consecutively, and yet the liberals will remain in power due to seat appropriation/distribution, and the green party will have its two seats (One from each coastline).
I noticed that visiting my dad in SK last week. A lot more open hatred of the federal government there than out here. I don't think people in Ontario are happy currently but the difference in degree of dislike was noticable.

If the NDP does go back to the oblivion, that would likely mean a majority government one way or another (unless Quebec goes solid Bloc).

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I'm 100 percent certain that is true, but Sask and Alberta make up a very small part of Canada population wise, and he's going to need the big boys to win. Fortunately he's doing very well with the younger (under 65) in bc, and pretty good with the younger in Ontario so far. But - that's not going to be enough unless he bites into the older gen a little more. As the saying goes, the elderly always vote in historically high numbers.

Well that certainly will be the liberals pitch. "join us to defeat the evil right" has been a standard battle cry for them for 50 years and even more so since the CPC was born.

the thing is - it's the younger people FROM the ndp who are moving to the CPC if polls are to be believed. And not just a few. Pollivre isn't pulling liberal supporters as much as he's pulling the ndp believe it or not.

And i think the libs are going to have a problem with "red flu", where their supporters stay home in droves or vote for a fringe. We saw that in ontario last provincial election. Whereas CPC supporters will be VERY motivated to turn out.

Its' weird times, that's for sure. The older gen is pro liberal? The kids are joining the cpc from the ndp? Did you know last election most of the increase the PPC got came from former Green party voters? (i kid you not). Canadian politics is in a weird state of flux right now.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It hasnt gotten weird enough for me.
Well it ain't over yet :)

There are hints of even more weirdness on the horizon. Three years is a long time in politics. I've been pretty good at predicting politics for a few decades now as much as anyone can, and even I can't even see all the wild things that might happen. Will justin step down or call an election, or wait it out? Will a new centrist party form around Charest? Will the ndp support actually collapse into the cpc? Is the PPC going to expand or shrink? They'll be in the next debate regardless and that changes the mix. Will polievre manage to get in front of the elderly in ontairo and wow them, or are they going to hate him? Could jagmeet realize that this deal was a bad idea and backstab justin at a crucial time?

There's a lot more moving pieces right now than usual, that's for sure.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Trudeau hit the 8 year wall, a landslide awaits.
That certainly is going to play a factor - since the 80's gov'ts get 'stale' and it's very hard to convince the electorate to stick with the current gov't at the best of times. And these aren't exactly his 'best of times'.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That certainly is going to play a factor - since the 80's gov'ts get 'stale' and it's very hard to convince the electorate to stick with the current gov't at the best of times. And these aren't exactly his 'best of times'.
Ah, the classic quote from Dickens's A Sale of Two Titties.

Yeah, the publisher cleaned up the title some.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau is Toasteau. Its fact that nobody lasts this long.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Trudeau is Toasteau. Its fact that nobody lasts this long.
….& anyone in Trudeau’s inner cabinet will carry his stench if he walks out into the surf or what have you.

Freeland had potential but screwed herself lying about Erin O’toole & being sanctioned by Twitter for manipulated media of all things, & Then having Trudeau double down on the lie emphasizing her gaffe. Then Poliviere has debated her in Parliament, & she both looks and sounds like an arrogant fool instead of actually debating back & that’s publicly available on YouTube for anybody with an Internet connection.

Mark Carney? At least he’s “sort of“ on the outside of the Liberals but looking in, but he’s already got a couple of UN Hats that Trudeau would jizz his pants for so why go backwards? Carney can throw his weight around globally via the UN telling others to do as he says and not as he does. Why would he limit himself to just Canada?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
….& anyone in Trudeau’s inner cabinet will carry his stench if he walks out into the surf or what have you.

Freeland had potential but screwed herself lying about Erin O’toole & being sanctioned by Twitter for manipulated media of all things, & Then having Trudeau double down on the lie emphasizing her gaffe. Then Poliviere has debated her in Parliament, & she both looks and sounds like an arrogant fool instead of actually debating back & that’s publicly available on YouTube for anybody with an Internet connection.

Mark Carney? At least he’s “sort of“ on the outside of the Liberals but looking in, but he’s already got a couple of UN Hats that Trudeau would jizz his pants for so why go backwards? Carney can throw his weight around globally via the UN telling others to do as he says and not as he does. Why would he limit himself to just Canada?
I think the UNs days are numbered. G7/G19or something and NATO are going to blend into one as a trade block/military alliance that trades with other blocks and powers.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

The only people that respond to polls are lonely people over 65 , the results might be skewed .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The only people that respond to polls are lonely people over 65 , the results might be skewed .
Not so much. These days participants are paid cash, airmiles, gift cards and gasoline to do surveys and polls. Very millennial and Gen Zed targeted.