Closure of B.C. campgrounds due to 'problem bear' extended through the weekend

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I like the solution. Ya got all these problem humans troubling the bears, ya ban the humans.

Makes perfect sense.

It's generally from campers and hikers leaving garbage and food around.. so the bears start becoming problem bears..

Problem is, that the bear always loses with a human encounter and is either relocated or killed.

• Sad
Reactions: taxslave

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
When I started skiing Whistler the local garbage dump was near the present day village . Always lots of bears hanging around . Bears are nothing new in that neck of the woods .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Way back when we took tourists to the local dump to see the bears. Never any problems. Course we never let the tourists but peanut butter on their kids face for a closeup with Yogi.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When I started skiing Whistler the local garbage dump was near the present day village . Always lots of bears hanging around . Bears are nothing new in that neck of the woods .
When I worked the Whistler Keg in 86 a bear tore the extra robust wooden enclosure around the grease dumpster to shreds in under 30 seconds. The bear got dosed and flown to deep into Garibaldi.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
When I worked the Whistler Keg in 86 a bear tore the extra robust wooden enclosure around the grease dumpster to shreds in under 30 seconds. The bear got dosed and flown to deep into Garibaldi.
By 86 the Village was being constructed and the dump had been removed .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup. Moved it to Function Junction. In 86 there was only 1500 residents. 2 cop cars and 2 taxis.
Yup that was the beginning of the great boom . Blackcomb opened in 87 if memory serves . I had to quit skiing in 86 and one of the last time we were offered a twenty dollar helicopter ride for guided skiing on the new mountain . Sadly we passed .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Blackcomb was already open in 86 but ski seasons wise it could have been the 85/86 season that it opened. The village chair was 86/87.

One of my neighbours in Emerald was a pilot for Pemberton something named at that time. We were on Pinetree across from the mushroom house and 5 or 6 houses from the tramhouse were Boyd and crew lived and partied hard. I've met a Trudeau at Boyd's don't remember which one. Oh well, that's MDMA for ya.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Blackcomb was already open in 86 but ski seasons wise it could have been the 85/86 season that it opened. The village chair was 86/87.

One of my neighbours in Emerald was a pilot for Pemberton something named at that time. We were on Pinetree across from the mushroom house and 5 or 6 houses from the tramhouse were Boyd and crew lived and partied hard. I've met a Trudeau at Boyd's don't remember which one. Oh well, that's MDMA for ya.
It must have been the 85/86 season that I remember it was prior to Village lifts , the helicopter was at Creekside . We were the guys wearing the Beaver Patrol hats . Direct from Girl Guides .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It must have been the 85/86 season that I remember it was prior to Village lifts , the helicopter was at Creekside . We were the guys wearing the Beaver Patrol hats . Direct from Girl Guides .
We had the A-Frame on Alta Lake Road directly across from Creekside . Party central .