Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
She's crazy, I'm crazy and I think Canada could use her kind of crazy right now. I like her to be honest, bernie too.

If we in Canada cant wipe out student debt then at least let's make the interest on student debt managable.

The burn.... If places like Chipotle keep making record profits then they can afford to not raise prices like crazy and pay their employees a better wage.

I'm sure they have some other crazy policies or opinions but I'm not familiar with them
What is your reasoning behind cancelling student debt ?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What is your reasoning behind cancelling student debt ?

It's a scam, yes you have an initial grace period in Canada but it holds back alot of kids who cant get jobs in their field right away. And prevents them from developing into a proper adults.

Most kids these days have debt from OSAP going into the workplace and then try to find entry jobs in their fields.

These entry jobs then have stupid requirements like, 5 years experience and pay entry positions close to minimum wage, 20$/hr. Because these companies make it almost impossible to get into the industry so that same company can bring in TFWs to keep wages depressed. And experienced people dont apply to those positions.

The kid then has to work at Starbucks and make it on their own paying what, 1500$ a month for a 1 bedroom apartment and if they are lucky to have a vehicle they are one breakdown away from not being able to afford it because they're now making minimum wage. They wont get 40hrs a week because they're part time but unable to get another job because the minimum wage company requires full time availability in order to keep their job.

Now the grace period is up and OSAP wants their money with interest and the kid is eating rice every week or ketchup soup to stay alive, to make these payments. Having 50$ a week for food doesnt get you much. Then the kid by some miracle proves after a certain amount of time he cant pay off OSAP because of the undue stress and the government wipes their debt. Now this kid will have an impossible time getting a loan in the future and by then the schooling that same kid received is outdated and hes left with nothing. Now your left with a minimum wage slave.

That's how I see it

Reactions: Serryah

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They were not against taking the money when they are going to school. It was clear this was a loan. If they don't want the debt, they shouldn't take the loan. If they want a free ride, maybe they should be smarter and get a scholarship.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They were not against taking the money when they are going to school. It was clear this was a loan. If they don't want the debt, they shouldn't take the loan. If they want a free ride, maybe they should be smarter and get a scholarship.
Yeah, I tried that.

Didn't work out quite as planned.

The system sucks, and I can't imagine yours is any better'n ours. But post hoc elimination of the debt is not the way to handle it, IMO.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's a scam, yes you have an initial grace period in Canada but it holds back alot of kids who cant get jobs in their field right away. And prevents them from developing into a proper adults.

Most kids these days have debt from OSAP going into the workplace and then try to find entry jobs in their fields.

These entry jobs then have stupid requirements like, 5 years experience and pay entry positions close to minimum wage, 20$/hr. Because these companies make it almost impossible to get into the industry so that same company can bring in TFWs to keep wages depressed. And experienced people dont apply to those positions.

The kid then has to work at Starbucks and make it on their own paying what, 1500$ a month for a 1 bedroom apartment and if they are lucky to have a vehicle they are one breakdown away from not being able to afford it because they're now making minimum wage. They wont get 40hrs a week because they're part time but unable to get another job because the minimum wage company requires full time availability in order to keep their job.

Now the grace period is up and OSAP wants their money with interest and the kid is eating rice every week or ketchup soup to stay alive, to make these payments. Having 50$ a week for food doesnt get you much. Then the kid by some miracle proves after a certain amount of time he cant pay off OSAP because of the undue stress and the government wipes their debt. Now this kid will have an impossible time getting a loan in the future and by then the schooling that same kid received is outdated and hes left with nothing. Now your left with a minimum wage slave.

That's how I see it
Should have gotten a trade. Or a degree in something relevant. Medicine and engineering students never have trouble finding a job.
Aside from that student loans should be interest free and only given for studies that clearly have a job at the end of the day. No medieval music or french literature on the taxpayers dime.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Further to my last. . .

I would propose making the first two years of college government-paid. Why not? Free, mandatory public education was once 8 years. Now it's 12. Surely the increasing complexity of society calls for more "basic knowledge needed to be a good citizen.' Why not expand it to 14? The extra two years could be the "core requirements" most colleges impose. Then you only have to go to college on Dad's or Uncle Gummint's or the Friendly Neighbourhood Banker's dime two years.

Here's another notion. I don't know about up there, but down here student loans are a cash cow for lenders. Maybe we could set up a government-guaranteed program that would provide a fixed, 4%, iron-clad return on investment, and provide student loans at a fixed 7% rate? The excess could pay for defaults and operating costs. It would require the borrower to have some "skin in the game," provide a great deal for the conservative part of investment portfolios, and eliminate much of the chicanery that, down hear leastways, is involved with "guaranteed student loans."

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Alot of kids dont have much in the form of guidance. Like I said in another thread, I believe we all on canadian content live in a bubble compared to the rest of Canada.

When I was graduating from high school the old man gave me 0 advice or encouragement he always called me a retard, my guidance counselor actually said he couldn't help me because of my bad ADHD and my mom couldn't give me relevant advice cause she was stressed out from raising my other brothers, and doing all the housework while working a full time job. Old man was a drunk racist who hated the world.

I didn't even know what a trade was let alone being able to afford the tools to do a trade. I didn't even have the confidence to apply to college at 18 cause I was convinced by the world I was a piece of shit.

Luckily I pulled a rabbit out of my ass and am doing quite well today.

Hell 7 years ago I was freaking out on here while I switched careers after going back to school for more diplomas. Fuck I was working 16 hrs at 20/hr as an underground labour contractor for 8 months before I was noticed.

Now I'm the guy noticing people

It's not as clear cut as people think.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sorry your old man was a jerk, Johnny. Well done you for getting past him and all the other nay-sayers. Living well is the best revenge.

Pay no mind to the surly old cane-wavers. I disagree with you, I'll give you reasons and alternatives.

Reactions: Serryah

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
People are ultimately responsible for their own actions and own choices. If you take a student loan you should be expected to repay it. The loans can be lower interest loans. Tec had some other ideas which are good except that people don't appreciate a free education. I also think a lot of college grads find themselves saddled in debt but somehow expected to be living the CEO lifestyle and are therefore disappointed and now want to be free of the debt. Ultimately if you take a loan you should expect to pay it back.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Sorry your old man was a jerk, Johnny. Well done you for getting past him and all the other nay-sayers. Living well is the best revenge.

Pay no mind to the surly old cane-wavers. I disagree with you, I'll give you reasons and alternatives.

Thanks and it's all good. I actually like when people disagree with me lol... My girlfriend says I'm too confrontational and need to pump my brakes sometimes lol.

And I want to add. I consider myself lucky because mommy let me stay at home and pay my way through college even though daddy wanted me gone lol... I told him after I left that he ever messes with me he is getting the sleeper lol

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
People are ultimately responsible for their own actions and own choices. If you take a student loan you should be expected to repay it. The loans can be lower interest loans. Tec had some other ideas which are good except that people don't appreciate a free education. I also think a lot of college grads find themselves saddled in debt but somehow expected to be living the CEO lifestyle and are therefore disappointed and now want to be free of the debt. Ultimately if you take a loan you should expect to pay it back.
Thanks. I never put in my full ideas, cuz I'd be writing a book. Just presume that I'd make the last two years of free public education optional, and I'd include an option for the trades, vastly expand what we call "vocational education" down here, and other stuff.

Ya can't base an economy on Art History majors sitting around sipping lattes and trying to one-up each other. Much though some'd like to.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Thanks and it's all good. I actually like when people disagree with me lol... My girlfriend says I'm too confrontational and need to pump my brakes sometimes lol.

And I want to add. I consider myself lucky because mommy let me stay at home and pay my way through college even though daddy wanted me gone lol... I told him after I left that he ever messes with me he is getting the sleeper lol
Here's your reward for being an interesting commenter.

1 shot espresso
1 shot Irish whiskey

That's it. I call it a "Devil's Asshole." In more polite company (if I ever find myself in such company, anyhow) a "Black Irish Coffee."

Reactions: Johnnny

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I won't comment on education/college in my experience because I went through it 20 years ago and it's not the same today.

However, I did try to 'upgrade' my skills about five years ago. I wanted to step into into the HIM side of medical records (Health Information Management). Because I couldn't afford to stop work for the year or so to take an actual sit in school course, I found one that not only was online but one of the very few certified by the national organization.

I applied, got accepted and moved on to secure the funds I needed for the course. Yes I work full time, but with a home, bills and other typical life stuff so my pay was going for that. I could not afford to take the course without help.

I was told I wasn't allowed to get help because I worked, and when figuring for money I could get, they considered my 'living wage' as what it took to put a roof over my head, and that's it. Not even groceries was included, or water bill, into the cost of 'living'. So basically I made enough, they said, to pay for the course despite the fact that all my funds were tied into other things that I could not back down/away from. I was told to "get a loan from the bank" but that was not an option for me.

So, I didn't get my course.

In situations like this, IMO, if someone is going to further their standing in their profession then there needs to be some help offered for people who want to do so, AND so that if they can keep working if they need to.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I won't comment on education/college in my experience because I went through it 20 years ago and it's not the same today.

However, I did try to 'upgrade' my skills about five years ago. I wanted to step into into the HIM side of medical records (Health Information Management). Because I couldn't afford to stop work for the year or so to take an actual sit in school course, I found one that not only was online but one of the very few certified by the national organization.

I applied, got accepted and moved on to secure the funds I needed for the course. Yes I work full time, but with a home, bills and other typical life stuff so my pay was going for that. I could not afford to take the course without help.

I was told I wasn't allowed to get help because I worked, and when figuring for money I could get, they considered my 'living wage' as what it took to put a roof over my head, and that's it. Not even groceries was included, or water bill, into the cost of 'living'. So basically I made enough, they said, to pay for the course despite the fact that all my funds were tied into other things that I could not back down/away from. I was told to "get a loan from the bank" but that was not an option for me.

So, I didn't get my course.

In situations like this, IMO, if someone is going to further their standing in their profession then there needs to be some help offered for people who want to do so, AND so that if they can keep working if they need to.
Sounds like your system's about as messed up as ours. Sorry it broke that way for you.

Have a Devil's Asshole (see above).

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Sounds like your system's about as messed up as ours. Sorry it broke that way for you.

Have a Devil's Asshole (see above).

It is; ironically the corporation offered the same course, paid, for anyone who wanted to take it and passed the application process (and, I think, was of an age to still be a benefit to the corporation). But to do so I needed reference letters and it was a seriously short notice thing. So, date of application got passed and I didn't get in.

Now I'm 'too old' to do it.

So I've moved on to do what 'education' I can for other things.

Suck but.... not much choice, sadly.

I appreciate the drink suggestion; I'll stick with my pepsi though, lol.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

That's how I see it
Research prior to enrolment could and should alleviate that problem . Why would you let yourself be talked into a profession or area of studies if there wasn’t a good chance of making a living . And if you choose to waste four years of life pursuing a dream why should anyone else pay ? Of course those that excelled in many fields are paying their loans why should you be different ? Just asking .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Or a fast runner .