Justin Breyer retires

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Kamala Harris will be appointed as the new Justice

Biden will appoint Hillary Clinton as Vice President

Oh SHIT!!!!!!
Or Joe Biden can appoint Hilary Clinton as the new Justice, and Hilary can consult with Justine Trudeau as to how to be a black woman. He might even have a couple of outfits he can lend her.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I made the assumption without knowing any different to be honest. Kind’a surprised one wouldn’t have to be a Lawyer or Judge or Adjudicator, etc…
Technically, no. For practical purposes, ya need to be a judge, a law professor, or an extremely senior lawyer. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett (Trump's 3 picks) were all judges in the Federal appellate courts, one step down from the Supreme Court.

Flipside, back in the FDR administration, the district court judge who decided one of the most consequential Federal civil procedural questions of the 20th century had no prior experience as a judge, wasn't a lawyer, and was so excited about his "elevation" to the Federal Bench that he never even visited his courtroom until his first day on the job, when he walked in, sat down, and heard Erie, the case I mentioned.

Constitutionally, however, there are no limits at all. All it says is that the justices (and Federal judges below them) shall serve "on good Behaviour" and are life-tenured. At least theoretically, there's no reason a President couldn't pick a minor. Just have to get it past the Senate.

I think the appellate Benches (where there's always several judges, at least three and up to nine) might benefit from the viewpoint of a non-lawyer.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don’t even pretend to know much if anything about US Governance, and thus usually avoid posting into threads on such (through I do skim through them).

I could mentally picture Justin Trudeau, in Blackface, as a Drama Teacher in Drag, trying to teach Hilary Clinton how to be a black female lawyer….while dressing her down as a misogynist racist and not being woke feminist enough like he is. I could really see that in my minds eye.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don’t even pretend to know much if anything about US Governance, and thus usually avoid posting into threads on such (through I do skim through them).

I could mentally picture Justin Trudeau, in Blackface, as a Drama Teacher in Drag, trying to teach Hilary Clinton how to be a black female lawyer….while dressing her down as a misogynist racist and not being woke feminist enough like he is. I could really see that in my minds eye.
Works for me. I'll call Lorne Michaels (longtime producer of Saturday Night Live).

Your insights are always welcome. I'm sure you grasp the basics of our system, and understand the differences between it and yours.

Reactions: Ron in Regina