It’s coming sooner than you think… especially given then totalitarian government we have now

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There is also provisions to register at the polling place but you require identification and correspondence showing your present address , usually a phone or hydro bill Will do .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is also provisions to register at the polling place but you require identification and correspondence showing your present address , usually a phone or hydro bill Will do .
Yes, I said that.

And election-day registration, where allowed, requires the same ID as prior registration. Typically two forms of ID or some type of attestation far more onerous than getting an ID.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If that is the case I wouldn’t have objection to student I D , but I don’t live in Texas . I am sure it wouldn’t be accepted here but may be incorrect . Most people use their drivers license or B.C. ID card .
So, some forms of government-issued, picture ID are acceptable, and others are not?

Opportunities for chicanery abound.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Personally, every person should have a photo ID, issued by Government, at no charge.

For Voting.
For Driving.
For ID purposes.
For anything you need ID for.

That way there can be no claims of discrimination when it comes to such ID requirements.
I don't know about where you are , but in BC we have to pay for drivers licences. Worse, those of us with professional licenses have to pay for a medical every few years and a fee to process the medical to continue to work. Now that I am over 65 I have to have one every year.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Personally, every person should have a photo ID, issued by Government, at no charge.

For Voting.
For Driving.
For ID purposes.

That way there can be no claims of discrimination when it comes to such ID requirements.
I'm reminded of a Doonesbury cartoon where Alex was on-line at the Motor Vehicles, and the young folk were saying "I don't drive, why do I need a license?" and the others answering. . .

"To drink."
"To vote."
"To fly."

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, some forms of government-issued, picture ID are acceptable, and others are not?

Opportunities for chicanery abound.
I don’t disagree , but in B.C. a University student card is probably unacceptable, as it is not government issue .

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
The usual reason is that they're poor, live in cash economies, don't drive, and can't be bothered.

ID is a relatively new thing. Over half of the men drafted into WWII in the U.S. had no identification of any kind. Of those who did, a birth or baptismal certificate was often all they had.

So, when are you going to get an RFID implanted in your brain? Did you get your second booster yet? Two questions for you to answer. :D

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

For Voting.
For Driving.
For ID purposes.

They already can get those altho' not all are "free". You also have a "choice" to get them
What ID is free In Canada? Have you ever had your wallet lost or stolen? Replacing its contents isn’t cheap or easy with all kinds of hoops to jump through. Lots of ID you need funds & two other pieces of ID to replace.

You might have to start out with an Affidavit from your local city hall, & pay to have that certified, & with that and cash you can get your provincial health card, then with those two pieces & more cash you can get your birth certificate, and so on and so forth, with none of it being free and much of it being very time consuming.

I had my wallet stolen once 30 years ago or so from a water park and it was a royal pain in the arse replacing my ID. Ironically, the things I was most panicked about (debit & credit card) where the easiest to cancel & replace but neither are ID.
The "free" ID refers to Government ID so that if you don't drive (as an example) you still have "picture" ID available to you. The rest of the examples as you've stated are not.