Some truckers choose to quit instead of complying with federal vaccine mandate

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Growing number of trucker vacancies adds to 'tremendous' supply chain pressures
Don’t worry Ron we are planning on bring a half million UN educated immigrants a year .There will be ample drivers available .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Already have in many mines. The problem arise when people that can't drive are given unrestricted access to the same roads.
That’s exactly it. On a relatively small closed coarse (like a mine site) where everyone respects the things that can & will kill them if given even 1/2 a chance or a momentary lack of attention…they can work. Skilled on site maintenance there for any hiccup that comes along.

That’s very different than letting them loose across the continent to traverse the continent dealing with every idiot or child or idiot-man/child along the way, dealing with evolving changes like weather and road construction and fueling and it’s own maintenance and loading and unloading and so on and so forth….

Someday it’ll come to some extent but I don’t think it’s anytime soon. Imagine a truck that can run 24/7 (more or less) without staffing expenses except for everything needed at every point beyond driving that “Drivers” deal with???

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yet Bison is experimenting with driverless trucks in Alberta this winter .
It ain't like companies haven't been trying them out as test beds. Bison isn't the only one. I'm not against the technology btw. The average driver's skill behind the wheel is so far down the shitter these days the technology can't get here soon enough. I'm not referring to truck drivers specifically, just drivers in general.
It's always been kinda' bad because driving is a weird activity. It scoffs at the notion that repeatedly doing something makes you better at it. Driving is the one activity where the longer someone drives, the worse they get at it and the advent of cell phones only exacerbates the problem. So bring on autonomous driving technology, just don't rush it because people want it. Make sure it actually fucking works.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yet Bison is experimenting with driverless trucks in Alberta this winter .

Good luck with that, after a Driverless Tesla hit a cop…

This will happen in southern states for sure and long haul, it will never happen in the city..

I will just keep my city trucks running www.Hi-Way2.com

Alberta Hi-Way 2 😉 All electric city trucks

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The infrastructure that would be needed surrounding fully automated trucks regarding loading & unloading & fueling & topping up your fluids every morning & dealing with shit fuel (happened to one of our trucks yesterday in Alexandria MN with water in the fuel…where the driver was pouring in the Howes & swapped out fuel and water separator filters twice roadside as he nursed the truck along) and the absolutely horrible state of sensors on today’s trucks (& there’s hundreds of sensors in every truck…..and there would have to be many more on something fully automated), & wildlife, & the millions of other drivers on the roads, & the pop up construction zones not in the trucks GPS, and a hundred other unforeseen variables that a trucker deals with everyday from a blown hose to a blown tire….that infrastructure just doesn’t exist yet and the pricing around it would be super-gouging (eye-watering) in its implementation.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The infrastructure that would be needed surrounding fully automated trucks regarding loading & unloading & fueling & topping up your fluids every morning & dealing with shit fuel (happened to one of our trucks yesterday in Alexandria MN with water in the fuel…where the driver was pouring in the Howes & swapped out fuel and water separator filters twice roadside as he nursed the truck along) and the absolutely horrible state of sensors on today’s trucks (& there’s hundreds of sensors in every truck…..and there would have to be many more on something fully automated), & wildlife, & the millions of other drivers on the roads, & the pop up construction zones not in the trucks GPS, and a hundred other unforeseen variables that a trucker deals with everyday from a blown hose to a blown tire….that infrastructure just doesn’t exist yet and the pricing around it would be super-gouging (eye-watering) in its implementation.
I believe what Bison is experimenting is a rig electronically connected with a following unit . It is to be tested this winter between Calgary and Banff and Calgary to Edmonton . The article I read made it sound like a done deal

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe what Bison is experimenting is a rig electronically connected with a following unit . It is to be tested this winter between Calgary and Banff and Calgary to Edmonton . The article I read made it sound like a done deal
So the two of them piggyback on each other’s slipstream to reduce fuel consumption while creating a 150-200’ long obstacle (depending on how close together they are) for the rest of traffic to manoeuvre around….like NASCAR but on the open road with 75’ long units, only in this case there will be one driver between the two vehicles.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So the two of them piggyback on each other’s slipstream to reduce fuel consumption while creating a 150-200’ long obstacle (depending on how close together they are) for the rest of traffic to manoeuvre around….like NASCAR but on the open road with 75’ long units, only in this case there will be one driver between the two vehicles.
Something like that . In winter .

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No problem. They will use electric trucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Twin_Moose