Canada is getting a new holiday to honour residential school survivors

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So who pays? Long suffering businesses pay for turdOWE to feel good for doing nothing. If I remember correctly his father was a politician while the atrocities were going on.
Yes he was the sainted PET ,being complicate in maintaining the status quo with respect to Residential Schools despite reports of abuse and other structural problems with the system , I wonder when calls to tear down his monuments will be heard

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
WHAT THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO DO IS!!!!!

Sue Vatican for them to release the documents as to who the Children were, names, family, and if it happened at one Residential School don't for a second think it's not the same story at other schools.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We heard stories even when I was a kid(late 50s early 60s). Same for catholic run orphanages. But there were neither anywhere near where I grew up and it was very hushhush adult talk when they forgot we were around. First I really knew of them was 1977 when I moved to Pt. Hardy and seen the one in Alert Bay which was closing about then although the high school in Pt.McNeil still had dorms up into the 80s. Looks like the stories had some basis in fact.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Sad situation. Gotta give Trudeau and most politicians credit. They never let a tragedy go to waste.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
WHAT THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO DO IS!!!!!

Sue Vatican for them to release the documents as to who the Children were, names, family, and if it happened at one Residential School don't for a second think it's not the same story at other schools.
Were all residential schools run by the Catholic Church ? Of course it happened at all the schools , children died and were buried . They didn’t have mortuaries on the trap line .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We heard stories even when I was a kid(late 50s early 60s). Same for catholic run orphanages. But there were neither anywhere near where I grew up and it was very hushhush adult talk when they forgot we were around. First I really knew of them was 1977 when I moved to Pt. Hardy and seen the one in Alert Bay which was closing about then although the high school in Pt.McNeil still had dorms up into the 80s. Looks like the stories had some basis in fact.
Certainly , but we only focus on the negative , without those schools or something like it , the natives would still be speaking five different languages and paddling dugout canoes .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Even when I was a kid the understanding that being a choir boy in the Catholic Church usually meant more than singing was prevalent. They have done little to address it. When there were accusations the priests were shuffled. I personally think it is the vow of chastity which kind of warps the mind after a while but that is just my opinion. I would not expect their residential schools to be any different.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Certainly , but we only focus on the negative , without those schools or something like it , the natives would still be speaking five different languages and paddling dugout canoes .
Although this was the wrong thing to do, but many of the kids benefitted from this education and went on to become successful citizens. You never here of the good things that came out of the res schools

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Even when I was a kid the understanding that being a choir boy in the Catholic Church usually meant more than singing was prevalent. They have done little to address it. When there were accusations the priests were shuffled. I personally think it is the vow of chastity which kind of warps the mind after a while but that is just my opinion. I would not expect their residential schools to be any different.
Yes but how many priests molested you ? The rumours weren’t unfounded , however they weren’t everywhere always .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The intentions were good, taking kids away from there parents and forcing them into res schools was just plain dumb. How can you tell this idea came from the east??
Yes but it taught those children the English language allowing them to function in the modern world . In not much more than 100 years we have lifted our natives into the modern age . And other than a few ugly exceptions they are mostly doing just fine .

Reactions: taxslave